Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2472 2473 [2474] 2475 2476 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1998465 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37095 on: June 07, 2020, 03:04:42 PM »

And similarly, we've been considering his resistance to being replaced when he loses for years.

Again, to remind you (and bankshot1) the context of the discussion is Republican resistance.  Yeah, of course we have known about Trump's authoritarian tendencies for years.  But there was a time when those concerns could be dismissed as the fever dreams of the Left.  We knew what kind of person Trump was, but someone in denial could look away.

There is no possible way to do that now. 

45% job approval.

Plenty of ways to deny it and even a few ways to approve of it.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37096 on: June 07, 2020, 03:08:46 PM »

45% job approval.

More like 42%.

And I'm not sure I get your point.  Do you think that 42% are in denial that he can steal the election, or do you think it more likely that they would be fine with it?

Again (again) I am talking about Republicans with a platform who know what is going on and understand the threat that Trump poses.  This is the subject of my posts.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #37097 on: June 07, 2020, 03:11:30 PM »

The new comments came a day before federal data showed the nation facing a 13.3 percent unemployment rate, and as a new analysis showed the fortunes of U.S. billionaires increased by $565 billion between March 18 and June 4. That 11-week period also saw 42.6 million Americans filing jobless claims.

Can you say WEALTH TAX?

What is it compared to Feb 14? March 18th was the bottom of the market and without knowing what the total value they had on March 18th was it is impossible to tell where that increase comes from.

I forget where I plucked that from. And maybe it isn't a fair comparison, but it is pretty effective.  The article did have a link t where that info came from.

Edit: pretty sure it was that Cramer greatest wealth transfer in the world article.  With a link to where that tidbit came form.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

« Reply #37098 on: June 07, 2020, 03:36:15 PM »

Perhaps a mail-in ballot election in which the postal service has been defunded and is struggling to function ...

Heaps of mail-in ballots could also mean that reelection results aren't known for a week or so, instead of the quick victories we are accustomed to, which would give Trump time to argue against the results and refuse to leave.

Going to say this again:  everyone buy stamps.   Keep them solvent.     

-- forum nag

barton

« Reply #37099 on: June 07, 2020, 03:44:27 PM »

http://www.vice.com/en_us/article/5dzg45/black-lives-matter-protesters-topple-edward-colston-slave-trader-statue

About half the links I stop by to post,  you or Joshecho have already.   Maybe I'll make Redward happy and just stick with soundbites for a while.   They tossed the statue in the harbor,  which is okbm but I would've suggested selling it to one of the many museums of perfidy that now exist.   Use the proceeds for worthy civic causes.   

barton

« Reply #37100 on: June 07, 2020, 03:52:30 PM »

25th or impeachment options are just not going to happen unless Mousse O'Leany starts decapitating Girl Scouts and knocking their heads around the WH lawn with a croquet mallet.   I like joining in contemplation of the scenario, but it feels like contemplating benevolent aliens landing and taking away all our nukes:  fun but pure fantasy.   And if anyone tried,  Rethugs would make endless political hay about "purely political stunts while we need to be working together to deal with the current crisis...."  IOW,  gaslighting and hypocrisy to the max.   

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37101 on: June 07, 2020, 03:57:58 PM »

Perhaps a mail-in ballot election in which the postal service has been defunded and is struggling to function ...

Heaps of mail-in ballots could also mean that reelection results aren't known for a week or so, instead of the quick victories we are accustomed to, which would give Trump time to argue against the results and refuse to leave.

Going to say this again:  everyone buy stamps.   Keep them solvent.     

-- forum nag

Get the John Oliver stamps. They are fantastic. We got a bunch. Including a separate sheet just to post gently suggestive letters to the White House on how they can improve their administration and their future prospects.

Calling for armed protesters to disrupt and threaten state gov'ts into reopening the economy was a scary moment.  Especially the armed protesters in the gallery above the state legislators.

This is worrisome too:
Armed bystanders watch Floyd protesters march in Indiana

I've been waiting for 2nd A supporters to show up for 1st A protests.
Maybe it hasn't happened in the cities because of the size of the protests, but we'll see what goes down when say a thousand armed Trump supporters show up to an anti-police violence rally in say Atlanta or Birmingham.

Here’s something tying a lot of those ideas together

http://theintercept.com/2020/06/06/police-brutality-protests-blue-lives-matter/

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37102 on: June 07, 2020, 04:03:38 PM »

25th or impeachment options are just not going to happen unless Mousse O'Leany starts decapitating Girl Scouts and knocking their heads around the WH lawn with a croquet mallet.   I like joining in contemplation of the scenario, but it feels like contemplating benevolent aliens landing and taking away all our nukes:  fun but pure fantasy.   And if anyone tried,  Rethugs would make endless political hay about "purely political stunts while we need to be working together to deal with the current crisis...."  IOW,  gaslighting and hypocrisy to the max.

The best hope is that a couple of weeks of trump in the mid 30’s causes republicans to pressure pence and the cabinet to operationalize the 25th amendment, first privately then with increasing frequency and vigor in public forums.

Add a more bigly botched Katrina like even to the current stew with Covid related food supply hiccups and we could see that sometime in July or August, especially if the administration continues to make zero headway with any of the issues already on the table.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37103 on: June 07, 2020, 04:18:38 PM »

My point was simple enough, I thought.  If you really think Trump is ignoring the Constitution and is a threat to Democracy then you need to say more than “I’m going to vote for Biden.”

“Our elections may not happen, or count, but if they do I’m going with the other guy.”

Uh, gold star for you?

The take is rightly getting some attention:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/06/us/politics/trump-biden-republicans-voters.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

But these people are virtue signaling while minimizing the threat Trump poses, which is not as helpful as maybe they would like to be.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #37105 on: June 07, 2020, 04:47:40 PM »

The Colston statue was great vandalism.
Watch the video as they roll him down the street and dump him in the river.
I also liked how right after the slaver was toppled from his pedestal a young black guy hopped up there in his place.
And Google Maps has relocated the Colston statue in the river.
All very well done.

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #37106 on: June 07, 2020, 04:48:54 PM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37107 on: June 07, 2020, 05:48:29 PM »

45% job approval.

More like 42%.

And I'm not sure I get your point.  Do you think that 42% are in denial that he can steal the election, or do you think it more likely that they would be fine with it?

Again (again) I am talking about Republicans with a platform who know what is going on and understand the threat that Trump poses.  This is the subject of my posts.

There are Republicans who will have no trouble denying any risk that Trump would do such a thing (see the 45%, 42% or what ever number you like approval rating) and a segment of those who would be fine with it if he did. Some of them serve in the administration.

I think the number that would be fine with it is more like 20%, including some with a platform.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37108 on: June 07, 2020, 05:51:14 PM »

A lot of the GOP politicians are only starting to criticize and distance themselves from Trump because the election is coming up and Trump is looking like poison and they don't want to go down with him.  They were perfectly willing to support Trump or at least say nothing when Trump was bullying everyone and acting like a jerk, but doing their bidding by cutting taxes and appointing hardline judges.

The military defections are more interesting.  And reflect a real worry on the part of some that Trump might be willing to use the military to ...
I guess Trump will have to fall back on his 2nd A friends for armed intimidation.
Really the outlines of fascism are there, it's just unlikely Trump is capable of pulling the strings and putting it in place.

Bill Barr is...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37109 on: June 07, 2020, 05:52:15 PM »

The Colston statue was great vandalism.
Watch the video as they roll him down the street and dump him in the river.
I also liked how right after the slaver was toppled from his pedestal a young black guy hopped up there in his place.
And Google Maps has relocated the Colston statue in the river.
All very well done.

That's wonderful!

Thank you for the Google Map pic!
Pages: 1 ... 2472 2473 [2474] 2475 2476 ... 4288