Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2492 2493 [2494] 2495 2496 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997696 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37395 on: June 09, 2020, 11:23:27 AM »

Irrelevant?  No.  If the poll was showing Trump up or even with Biden, you would be saying Trump is a shoo-in.

Well at least you spelled "shoo-in" correctly this time.  And thank you for thinking enough of me to presume to know how I'm thinking. You've presumed wrongly, but it's nice to be considered.  There are 50 state elections. There isn't one national election.

Oh so in our previous discussion we did not point to national level polling as an indicator of a candidate's shoo-in/non-shoo-in status?

My bad.

You were the one focused on polls in our last conversation.  Not me.  I'm skeptical of all polling, particularly national polling, all the time.  And more especially with any kind of polling with Trump involved.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 11:25:10 AM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37396 on: June 09, 2020, 11:24:11 AM »

To be fair, "hyper-partisanship" is not exclusive to committed conservatives.

I think most people look for information that confirms their biases.

Here is a good example of what happens when people get carried away:

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/what-its-like-to-get-doxed-for-taking-a-bike-ride.html

If you want others to be fair, just, and balanced, lead the way.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37397 on: June 09, 2020, 11:25:48 AM »

So, people who are not conservatives don't look to confirm their biases?

I'm not arguing about the media presentation and who one thinks is more fair with their coverage. I'm discussing people and what they look for. Human beings want their opinions mirrored back to them.
Hell, just listening to sports talk radio would teach you that!

Yes, naturally people to some degree seek out information that confirms their "biases."  But if the information that confirms said "bias" is factual, is it still a bias? 

Do I read more liberal opinion writers than conservative?  Absolutely.  But facts are facts, and in political discussions we no longer share them.  There is a vast conservative media landscape that seeks to present "alternative facts" that actually make their consumers less informed.  There are studies that confirm this.  And there is no equivalent to it on the Left.

I think you should consider that the behaviors you seek to condemn in others can be found within all of us.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37398 on: June 09, 2020, 11:32:20 AM »

I'm not arguing about the media presentation and who one thinks is more fair with their coverage. I'm discussing people and what they look for. Human beings want their opinions mirrored back to them.

Yes, naturally people to some degree seek out information that confirms their "biases."  But if the information that confirms said "bias" is factual, is it still a bias? 

Do I read more liberal opinion writers than conservative?  Absolutely.  But facts are facts, and in political discussions we no longer share them.  There is a vast conservative media landscape that seeks to present "alternative facts" that actually make their consumers less informed.  There are studies that confirm this.  And there is no equivalent to it on the Left.

I think you should consider that the behaviors you seek to condemn in others can be found within all of us.

I welcome you to cite examples, and support your argument with facts.  Meanwhile, here is the factual study I cited that supports my argument:

https://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5

More pertinent to our current situation:

https://www.npr.org/local/309/2020/05/04/849109486/study-finds-more-c-o-v-i-d-19-cases-among-viewers-of-fox-news-host-who-downplayed-pandemic

If you can find a major media source on the left that daily made a claim as outrageous as COVID being a hoax cooked up by Democrats, please post it.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37399 on: June 09, 2020, 11:32:57 AM »

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2020/06/what-its-like-to-get-doxed-for-taking-a-bike-ride.html

I have no idea what the above link is supposed to prove.  You will have to explain.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37400 on: June 09, 2020, 11:48:44 AM »

As a Trump hater and democracy lover, I'm heartened that national sentiment as measured by recent polls appear to be moving in my favored favor.

But so what?

As was mentioned a few days ago, "the Electoral College giggles".

and by this point in time we all should be concerned that Trump and the forces of darkness will conspire to subvert the will of the American people.

Russia or Ukrainanian interference, who else will he recruit to interfere China, Israel, Saudi's? Voter supression is a given, will marshall law in blue states be declared?

Trumps playbook begins and ends with what lies, deception and subversion of democracy is required for me to win?

I guess the point is, winning the national polls are great, but we need to win the E-college this time.

Strategize, organize, register voters and VOTE

I plan to vote at least 3-times, maybe 6.

« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 11:51:51 AM by bankshot1 »

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #37401 on: June 09, 2020, 11:58:15 AM »

https://twitter.com/pantomath__/status/1270378566245441537

Twitter parody-White House Bunker

If you don't like Trump its pretty funny

If you like Trump, well as knicks likes to say

Achtung, bitches
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 12:01:51 PM by bankshot1 »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37402 on: June 09, 2020, 12:09:18 PM »

I welcome you to cite examples, and support your argument with facts.  Meanwhile, here is the factual study I cited that supports my argument:

https://www.businessinsider.com/study-watching-fox-news-makes-you-less-informed-than-watching-no-news-at-all-2012-5

More pertinent to our current situation:

https://www.npr.org/local/309/2020/05/04/849109486/study-finds-more-c-o-v-i-d-19-cases-among-viewers-of-fox-news-host-who-downplayed-pandemic

If you can find a major media source on the left that daily made a claim as outrageous as COVID being a hoax cooked up by Democrats, please post it.

You're still missing my point. It's not about Fox or CNN or NYT. It's basic human psychology.

Here:https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/the-couch/201712/how-confirmation-bias-affects-you-every-single-day

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37403 on: June 09, 2020, 12:12:46 PM »

I have no idea what the above link is supposed to prove.  You will have to explain.

You're kidding, right? You don't see why an innocent man had his life threatened by people worked into a frenzy by what they found in their news feeds and on Facebook, LinkedIn, et alia?

Stunning.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #37404 on: June 09, 2020, 12:17:58 PM »

I'll give you two examples off the top of my head. Judith Miller and Jason Blair. NYT.
Miller helped get Americans killed, btw.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37405 on: June 09, 2020, 12:29:21 PM »

Dorn was killed by criminals.  They have been caught and will be punished.  What's to protest?

Like with many matters, folks get upset when a certain side or the other does not speak out on each misstep by their brethren.

Trump suppoters - or you could categorize it differently - are more likely to say something about Dorn's death.  Never Trumpers will not speak on this - but it doesnt mean they condone the action.

Crooks gonna crook.

Cops take an oath to protect and serve.

When cops fuck up why do you racist pieces of shut compare them to criminals?
and with a straight face?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37406 on: June 09, 2020, 12:33:34 PM »

Forgive you for picking out the two polls that make Trump's position look the least bad, for no other rational reason?  I forgive you, kiidcarter8. 

Thanks

I gave you the reason.  Many eventual Trump voters in 2016 did not poll as TRUMP .

So yes, I take the three point bump by using those polls

TIP was also one of the more accurate in 2016 n the end.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37407 on: June 09, 2020, 12:34:58 PM »

I think "national polls" are irrelevant

How about a poll that has him down double digits in Michigan?

He also trails in Ohio, Arizona and Wisconsin.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37408 on: June 09, 2020, 12:36:48 PM »

Trump pushing via twitter OAN report-likely Russian inspired crazy conspiracy theory on police/old-guy in Buffalo.

Trump is getting more delusional and desperate by the day.

Repubs might want to dust-off the 25th anendment and get Pence lossening in the pen.

They lashed themselves to the mast with Trump when they didn’t take him out when they had the chance.

The ship be sinking and only a couple can jump off with Mitt.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #37409 on: June 09, 2020, 12:38:13 PM »

Poll puts Trump down 14 points to Biden in general election showdown

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/poll-trump-down-14-points-to-biden-in-general-election-showdown

before everyone dies of c19 or police brutality

That poll - some would call it an outlier - should right itself next week

Son.

Trump is in a flat spin.

Gravity is a bitch, Pollyanna.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2492 2493 [2494] 2495 2496 ... 4288