Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2557 2558 [2559] 2560 2561 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1868479 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38370 on: June 15, 2020, 11:28:55 AM »

But no - Mr Brooks didn't need to be killed. 

Great!  Now ask yourself if given the history it is really so unreasonable for people to suspect that he would not have been killed if he was a white guy.

Which of course is where Black Lives Matter comes from.  Implicit or explicit bias doesn't matter.  End result is that he didn't get that extra moment where the cop asks "OK, he hit me and stole my taser but he is drunk maybe high out of his mind, does he really need to die for that?"

My response was to Bo

One at a time now

The little bit of trouble I am having is with Bo's "it would have been fine for them to just let him run away".

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38371 on: June 15, 2020, 11:30:47 AM »

Didn't they already have his ID and his car?  So they knew who exactly who he was.
 So it's not a big deal if he actually runs away.  He wasn't going to get away with anything.  He didn't need to be killed for falling sleep drunk in his car and then scuffling to avoid being tased.  if you have the authority to use deadly force, you need to have good judgemnt.

Striking an officer is a felony

But no - Mr Brooks didn't need to be killed.  Would have preferred more aggression, maybe a spear tackle.  But is this something to be shown approval from the populace?

Shot twice in the back while running away.

Not even close..
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38372 on: June 15, 2020, 11:30:55 AM »

"if only they had been compliant" is blaming the murder victim.   People are rightly scared of cops,  and it's to be expected they will not always act rationally.   If police aren't trained to deal with that,  and to defuse fear,  then they need to be replaced with those who are.   

When a woman is murdered by her husband, we don't sit around talking about "gosh,  she could really have handled that marital argument differently... "

We don't. Plenty of them do.

And yes, it's a we/them thing.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38373 on: June 15, 2020, 11:35:21 AM »

Somebody please explain Spike Lee's flip-flop on Woody Allen.

To me, it looks like he is somehow reenacting the Cultural Revolution of China. Spike is acting like he is afraid his family is going to get jailed or killed because he doesn't express the values of the party.

"I'd just like to say Woody Allen is a great, great filmmaker and this cancel thing is not just Woody," said Lee ... "And I think when we look back on it we are going to see that -- short of killing somebody -- I don't know that you can just erase somebody like they never existed."

Hours later...
"I Deeply Apologize. My Words Were WRONG."

"I Do Not And Will Not Tolerate Sexual Harassment, Assault Or Violence," ..."Such Treatment Causes Real Damage That Can't Be Minimized.-Truly, Spike Lee."

Even though Woody has never been convicted of "Sexual Harassment, Assault Or Violence" or had such allegations arise from any other source than Crazy Mia's kids. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/entertainment/spike-lee-woody-allen-trnd/index.html

What does it mean to "Do the Right Thing", Spike?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #38374 on: June 15, 2020, 11:39:29 AM »

The little bit of trouble I am having is with Bo's "it would have been fine for them to just let him run away".

Given the options the police had left themselves with, its not even close. 

He was stopped because he was drunk, not because he was presenting a threat to public safety.  He did not represent a threat to the cops, and he was fleeing with a weapon that could not cause significant harm to a member of the public (a police baton would have been more dangerous.) 

You think it possible that its justified to take the life of a man under those circumstances? 

And then wonder why people have to be reminded that black lives matter...

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38375 on: June 15, 2020, 11:39:33 AM »

This was painful to watch:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/06/14/jenna-ellis-white-house-brian-stelter-317693

Where does Trump find these people?  Do they interview them to ensure that they can be dead wrong in the most confident and strident way possible?  Or does that come naturally with being a Trumpist?

It isn’t t just a Trumpism, it’s the entire GOP

This moment has been coming since way before the days the GOP straight up lied the nation into war. This has been a consistent and extremely successful longterm strategy as deliberate as it is insidious. It is, in effect, a Jedi Mind Trick on a massive scale. However we have now arrived at the space and time where the conservative bending of reality has crashed full on into the real-time reality where they are beholden to . . . Donald Trump?

Some of the roots of this tree of crazy can be traced back to the Southern Strategy the GOP employed in the wake of their 1964 national ass-kicking when Barry Goldwater was their presidential nominee.

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2020/02/03/were-living-in-the-republican-partys-altered-states/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38376 on: June 15, 2020, 11:43:11 AM »

Joey's Choice.

“With little traditional campaigning covered in the news, the choice of Biden’s vice president is garnering outsized attention,” said Melissa K. Miller, a professor of political science at Bowling Green State University in Ohio.

What’s more, the 77-year-old politician’s age has prompted questions about whether he would serve two terms as president and put extra focus on his choice for vice president. If he defeats President Donald Trump in the November election, Biden would be 78 when he’s sworn into office and rank as the country’s oldest-ever commander-in-chief, topping Ronald Reagan, who was 77 when he left office and 69 when he entered the White House. Trump is now 73 and was 70 at his swearing-in, so the Republican incumbent currently rates as the oldest president at the start of his time in office.

Some party activists also “wonder whether a carefully chosen vice president could swing the presidential pendulum back in the Democrats’ favor” after Trump’s razor-thin margins of victory in 2016 in the battleground states of Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, Miller said. But she cautioned that while research suggests running mates are “chosen in order to maximize the ticket’s chances of winning,” other research suggests the choice has “little demonstrable effect on who wins in November.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bidens-running-mate-search-is-getting-outsized-attention-and-could-even-shake-the-stock-market-heres-how-2020-06-10?mod=newsviewer_click

This is 2020 with a global pandemic, an economy in collapse and a nationwide multicolored uprising.

Yep. Just like 2016.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38377 on: June 15, 2020, 11:45:46 AM »

To me, it looks like he is somehow reenacting the Cultural Revolution of China. Spike is acting like he is afraid his family is going to get jailed or killed because he doesn't express the values of the party.

"I'd just like to say Woody Allen is a great, great filmmaker and this cancel thing is not just Woody," said Lee ... "And I think when we look back on it we are going to see that -- short of killing somebody -- I don't know that you can just erase somebody like they never existed."

Hours later...

"I Do Not And Will Not Tolerate Sexual Harassment, Assault Or Violence," ..."Such Treatment Causes Real Damage That Can't Be Minimized.-Truly, Spike Lee."

Even though Woody has never been convicted of "Sexual Harassment, Assault Or Violence" or had such allegations arise from any other source than Crazy Mia's kids. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/entertainment/spike-lee-woody-allen-trnd/index.html

It means you don’t lash yourself to the mast of a sinking ship.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38378 on: June 15, 2020, 11:46:16 AM »

Joey's Choice.

“With little traditional campaigning covered in the news, the choice of Biden’s vice president is garnering outsized attention,” said Melissa K. Miller, a professor of political science at Bowling Green State University in Ohio.

What’s more, the 77-year-old politician’s age has prompted questions about whether he would serve two terms as president and put extra focus on his choice for vice president. If he defeats President Donald Trump in the November election, Biden would be 78 when he’s sworn into office and rank as the country’s oldest-ever commander-in-chief, topping Ronald Reagan, who was 77 when he left office and 69 when he entered the White House. Trump is now 73 and was 70 at his swearing-in, so the Republican incumbent currently rates as the oldest president at the start of his time in office.

Some party activists also “wonder whether a carefully chosen vice president could swing the presidential pendulum back in the Democrats’ favor” after Trump’s razor-thin margins of victory in 2016 in the battleground states of Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania, Miller said. But she cautioned that while research suggests running mates are “chosen in order to maximize the ticket’s chances of winning,” other research suggests the choice has “little demonstrable effect on who wins in November.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bidens-running-mate-search-is-getting-outsized-attention-and-could-even-shake-the-stock-market-heres-how-2020-06-10?mod=newsviewer_click

This is 2020 with a global pandemic, an economy in collapse and a nationwide multicolored uprising.

Yep. Just like 2016.

That's a good point. The years are certainly different.

the overarching point, though, is that Joey's Veep choice can greatly impact at least 2 out of 3 of those situations.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38379 on: June 15, 2020, 11:47:33 AM »

Hours later...

It means you don’t lash yourself to the mast of a sinking ship.

It looks more like, wow---I can't be really honest. I have to feed the crowd what it thinks it wants.

Spike just showed he ain't much of a man, IMO.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38380 on: June 15, 2020, 11:55:11 AM »

You should be able to bring your kid to show them how to exercise their First Amendment Rights without this happening: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/jun/15/outrage-video-police-mace-child-seattle-protest

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38381 on: June 15, 2020, 11:56:36 AM »

What could be further from my mind?

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #38382 on: June 15, 2020, 11:58:08 AM »

https://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/editorials/tulsa-world-editorial-this-is-the-wrong-time-and-tulsa-is-the-wrong-place-for/article_26388374-1747-5120-bc01-24b81c1b0c78.html

President Donald Trump is coming to town this week for a campaign rally.

It will be his first since such events were suspended earlier this year because of the COVID-19 shutdown.

We don’t know why he chose Tulsa, but we can’t see any way that his visit will be good for the city.

Editorial from The Tulsa World.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38383 on: June 15, 2020, 12:00:10 PM »

But the bottomline is that this situation should never have escalated to the level it did and these police officers will be doing time and looking for another line of work.

How do you think it should have played out?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38384 on: June 15, 2020, 12:02:04 PM »

https://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/editorials/tulsa-world-editorial-this-is-the-wrong-time-and-tulsa-is-the-wrong-place-for/article_26388374-1747-5120-bc01-24b81c1b0c78.html

President Donald Trump is coming to town this week for a campaign rally.

It will be his first since such events were suspended earlier this year because of the COVID-19 shutdown.

We don’t know why he chose Tulsa, but we can’t see any way that his visit will be good for the city.

Editorial from The Tulsa World.

Hospitality/restaurant owners may disagree
Pages: 1 ... 2557 2558 [2559] 2560 2561 ... 4288