Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2777 2778 [2779] 2780 2781 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583534 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #41670 on: July 07, 2020, 11:23:56 AM »

About the unleashed gun violence across the nation...

I’m sure the conditions down the socioeconomic scale is especially chaotic, global pandemic and all.

In normal times Cops spend so much time crushing everybody but when shit crosses the line and people scream enough! Cops pull back and say they’re scared to interact.

Pull the Lion out of the savannah and the jackals and hyenas move up a notch and fight for the turf ceded by the bigger predator.

The citizens catch the shit one way or another.

I'm a little unsettled by this comment. It seems you're using Social Darwinism to explain an American domestic violence issue. But let's look further at the analogy.

Cops are lions. Citizens are, what? Impalas? Hyenas and jackals are pretty good at letting others kill for them, then they swoop in and steal prey. So, they're more like mobsters.

The most effective predators on the Savannah are wild dogs, who collaborate to kill. But they only kill to survive. And they always feed the youngest, oldest, and sickest among themselves, first.

Most creatures don't join together to stop the predators. Buffalo, however, will fight predators. As will elephants. They have strong social groups. But most animals just bolt from the scene if a predator goes after one of their own.

So. Please clarify. Because when communities like those that buffalo and elephant build come together, they can work to stop predators. They can't eliminate them, but they can greatly frustrate them.

Or they can be like the Impala, and try to outrun predators.

Doesn't always work, though. On the savannah the Impala is known as the McDonald's of the bush. Why? Because every major predator eats them. Their defense mechanism is to always be on the alert, run fast, and reproduce prolifically.

Better to be an elephant than an Impala. Or a buffalo.

Watch: https://youtu.be/LU8DDYz68kM

I’m sure you’re speaking from experience or you’re trolling for a philosophical debate over bullshit semantics usually prefaced with a “Well, actually...”

You’re mansplaining up the wrong tree.

When the elephants fight the grass suffers

Yes. Experience. Botswana. The most beautiful place I've ever seen. And the Tswani people, the most beautiful people I've ever met.

But no troll. Just wanting to understand your comments.

If you think what you wrote is bullshit, then so be it.

I see you’re still “unsettled” and I am thoroughly underwhelmed.

Never been to Botswana I gained my experience in 1980s NYC working in ENG shadowing NYPD especially in East NY and Bedford-Stuyvesant. At the time I was living in Manhattan at 7th and C.
I think my analogy was apt.

I spent 40+ years working within depressed neighborhoods like that. You analogy falls short, because you neglected to discuss the elephants, the buffalo, and the Impala.

Dude. You're just incomplete in your explanation. Purposefully, now, it seems.

The elephant, Buffalo and impala aren’t armed and disputing corners
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

oilcan

« Reply #41671 on: July 07, 2020, 11:26:01 AM »

Thumbs up (to Banks Groucho is)!   

Both Groucho and Karl knew that we give public officials too long a leash.

Netflix is the opium of the people.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #41672 on: July 07, 2020, 11:30:03 AM »

About the unleashed gun violence across the nation...

I’m sure the conditions down the socioeconomic scale is especially chaotic, global pandemic and all.

In normal times Cops spend so much time crushing everybody but when shit crosses the line and people scream enough! Cops pull back and say they’re scared to interact.

Pull the Lion out of the savannah and the jackals and hyenas move up a notch and fight for the turf ceded by the bigger predator.

The citizens catch the shit one way or another.

I'm a little unsettled by this comment. It seems you're using Social Darwinism to explain an American domestic violence issue. But let's look further at the analogy.

Cops are lions. Citizens are, what? Impalas? Hyenas and jackals are pretty good at letting others kill for them, then they swoop in and steal prey. So, they're more like mobsters.

The most effective predators on the Savannah are wild dogs, who collaborate to kill. But they only kill to survive. And they always feed the youngest, oldest, and sickest among themselves, first.

Most creatures don't join together to stop the predators. Buffalo, however, will fight predators. As will elephants. They have strong social groups. But most animals just bolt from the scene if a predator goes after one of their own.

So. Please clarify. Because when communities like those that buffalo and elephant build come together, they can work to stop predators. They can't eliminate them, but they can greatly frustrate them.

Or they can be like the Impala, and try to outrun predators.

Doesn't always work, though. On the savannah the Impala is known as the McDonald's of the bush. Why? Because every major predator eats them. Their defense mechanism is to always be on the alert, run fast, and reproduce prolifically.

Better to be an elephant than an Impala. Or a buffalo.

Watch: https://youtu.be/LU8DDYz68kM

I’m sure you’re speaking from experience or you’re trolling for a philosophical debate over bullshit semantics usually prefaced with a “Well, actually...”

You’re mansplaining up the wrong tree.

When the elephants fight the grass suffers

Yes. Experience. Botswana. The most beautiful place I've ever seen. And the Tswani people, the most beautiful people I've ever met.

But no troll. Just wanting to understand your comments.

If you think what you wrote is bullshit, then so be it.

I see you’re still “unsettled” and I am thoroughly underwhelmed.

Never been to Botswana I gained my experience in 1980s NYC working in ENG shadowing NYPD especially in East NY and Bedford-Stuyvesant. At the time I was living in Manhattan at 7th and C.
I think my analogy was apt.

I spent 40+ years working within depressed neighborhoods like that. You analogy falls short, because you neglected to discuss the elephants, the buffalo, and the Impala.

Dude. You're just incomplete in your explanation. Purposefully, now, it seems.

Forty years, huh?

You wanna cookie?

Meanwhile are the elephants, Buffalo and impala disputing corners with weapons?

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #41673 on: July 07, 2020, 11:33:24 AM »

Britain only has two coal power plants left, and this year it went 67 days without burning any coal at all. For a country that did everything with coal since the eighteenth century, this is a huge milestone. The remaining plants will be closed by 2024. For the first time, renewables accounted for nearly half of UK electricity generation in the first quarter of this year. About a third of Britain’s electricity now comes from wind alone

Spain is closing seven of its 15 remaining coal plants this year, and another four next year.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41674 on: July 07, 2020, 11:40:28 AM »

The elephant, Buffalo and impala aren’t armed and disputing corners.

The elephant and buffalo are armed. They also work in collaboration.

You seem more like the Impala.

The lions and leopards dispute territory. The cheetah has to work fast, and eat fast. Because the hyenas will come to steal his food.
The hippo is more of a soloist, and kills whoever gets in his way.

The baboons sit in the trees and taunt.

You can find all of these represented in ANY neighborhood.

But all the best neighborhoods have elephants. Matriarchal societies who take care of their own.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #41675 on: July 07, 2020, 12:06:36 PM »

It was just explained to me  by people who know their stuff on my tv that Trump is the only hope that America and the west has of surviving.

Pat pat.

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #41676 on: July 07, 2020, 12:11:55 PM »

Britain only has two coal power plants left, and this year it went 67 days without burning any coal at all. For a country that did everything with coal since the eighteenth century, this is a huge milestone. The remaining plants will be closed by 2024. For the first time, renewables accounted for nearly half of UK electricity generation in the first quarter of this year. About a third of Britain’s electricity now comes from wind alone

Spain is closing seven of its 15 remaining coal plants this year, and another four next year.

"But what will we do when the wind isn't blowing?!"

"But if we do that, we'll run out of wind!"

"But what about the cancer that people get from the windmills?"

"Coal is coming back!"

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #41677 on: July 07, 2020, 12:13:41 PM »

I don't know why you guys are talking about the Lieing King, but watch out for Scar, the hyenas and fucking McConnell.

MM may look like a dim-witted turtle, but if given the chance, he'll steal your food, claim your water, and piss all over your territory. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 12:18:23 PM by bankshot1 »

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #41678 on: July 07, 2020, 12:17:18 PM »

And where to the Malibu and the Volt come in?

Vote Him Away (The Liar Tweets Tonight)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TkU1ob_lHCw

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #41679 on: July 07, 2020, 12:18:18 PM »

Maybe, maybe not, but watch out for Scar, the hyenas and fucking McConnell.

MM may look like a dim-witted turtle, but if given the chance, he'll steal your food, claim your water, and piss all over your territory.

A scorched earther, to be sure.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #41680 on: July 07, 2020, 12:18:24 PM »

DeBlasio’s NYC after reducing the Police Department.:

Statistics.

Every single person who has been shot in New York City this July, nearly 100 in total, has been a member of the minority community and 97% of shooting victims in June were members of the city’s minority communities.

With the NYPD’s plainclothes unit now disbanded the city’s homicide rate is up 27% from a year ago and fatalities have doubled for 3 consecutive weeks. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #41681 on: July 07, 2020, 12:22:01 PM »

Maybe, maybe not, but watch out for Scar, the hyenas and fucking McConnell.

A scorched earther, to be sure.

Made a last second edit on that one.

But yeah, we'll be lucky if the savannah survives the Republican desecration of Mother Earth. 

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #41682 on: July 07, 2020, 12:37:46 PM »

DeBlasio’s NYC after reducing the Police Department.:

Statistics:

The NYPD has the same number of employees as it did 3 months ago, give or take a couple.

The NYPD's payroll has not been reduced since 3 months ago.

More statistics:

For the week ending June 28th (last broadsheet I've got so far), murders were down compared to 2019. So were rape, robbery, and grand larceny. And major crime, in general.

For the year to date ending June 28th, murder was up 23%. Rape was down 28%. Major crime was down, overall. Shootings are way up, total.

Compared to two years ago at that time, murder was up 15%. Rape was down 29%. Major crime was down, overall.

Compared to the ten year average, through June 28th, murder was down 24.5%. Rape is up 3.1%. Major crime, overall, is down 13%. Shooting incidents are down.

Compared to the 27 year average (which must be used for a good reason, but I don't know what it is), through June 28th, murder was down 80.9%. Rape is down 60.1%. And major crime, overall, is down 79.45%. Shooting incidents are down.

Oh, also, transit crime was down more than 50% compared to the same week, but only down 12% for the year to date.

Knock yourself out, Ward:
https://www1.nyc.gov/site/nypd/stats/crime-statistics/citywide-crime-stats.page
« Last Edit: July 07, 2020, 12:45:05 PM by Echo2 »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #41683 on: July 07, 2020, 12:42:31 PM »

Lol
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Echo2

• View Profile
« Reply #41684 on: July 07, 2020, 12:48:40 PM »

Lol

People are dying.

Kid: Lol

More people are dying this year than last.

Fewer people are being murdered than usual (by the other residents, vs. by the president and governor).

Pages: 1 ... 2777 2778 [2779] 2780 2781 ... 4288