Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2819 2820 [2821] 2822 2823 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584963 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42300 on: July 11, 2020, 06:52:27 PM »

Curious what the legality of painting BLM on public streets really is? I know that when they painted that thin blue line on streets inmany towns in NJ it was declared illegal by the feds.

It is a political statement. Should it be painted on a public roadway?  And is legal to do so?

I'm not quibbling about the message. Just curious about whether it's legal to deliver it in this manner.

After all, I am guessing that if I took blue and white paint and wrote Support Israel on the street, their would be a legal consequence.

So what is the legal stature of this political message delivery system? Anyone?

If you did it, it would be illegal. If it is approved by the Mayor and whatever committee controls such things, then it is as legal as renaming the road (as happened just down the street from the White House not long ago) and putting up new signs.

Some towns put painting of some sort on the roads regularly.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42301 on: July 11, 2020, 06:56:53 PM »

Fauci has not been allowed to brief the president in two months. They haven't even talked at all since June 2nd. And he is not being allowed on television.

a -  that is not 2 months

b -  not so sure it is true

(a) BRIEF =/= talk. Read what I wrote. Fauci hasn't briefed the president in two months. They haven't even talked at all since June 2nd. The "even" should have clued you into my making two different declarations, the second describing a lower standard''s not having been met.

(b) I don't give a fuck what you are sure about. I listened to Fauci say it. Go ahead and say he is lying about this, on the basis of your own personal gut feeling. Knock yourself out.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42302 on: July 11, 2020, 07:07:31 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2020/07/10/there-are-two-easy-steps-avoiding-chaos-this-election-we-havent-taken-them-yet/?fbclid=IwAR1xxB_3uhIcjxs-30tZOCobRqlXQZ3qH1uEKxHl6F7fozPvFKviYo62zco

For those of you are too cheap to get a subscription, too lazy to open a 2nd browser, and too stuck up to accept a gift of a WaPo subscription:

here are two easy steps to avoiding chaos this election. We haven’t taken them yet.

A ballot drop-off site outside the Denver Elections Division polling center on June 30. (Michael Ciaglo/Getty Images)

Opinion by Kevin Johnson and Yuval Levin
July 10, 2020 at 3:39 p.m. EDT

Kevin Johnson is executive director of Election Reformers Network. Yuval Levin is director of social, cultural and constitutional studies at the American Enterprise Institute.

Across the country, election officials are living with a palpable sense of dread. Their worry is less about who will win or lose on Election Day than about how our vast, diverse system of voting will function amid a pandemic.

Evidence from some primaries this year offers real cause for concern. It is clear that voting by mail and absentee balloting will increase significantly, with much of that increase coming in states unaccustomed to handling these processes at scale. It may be impossible to call many races, including the presidential contest, on election night. And daunting logistical challenges may well raise questions about the legitimacy of the outcome.

There is no easy way to avert such problems. The management of elections inherently raises concerns about politicization, with each party worrying that the other will try to manipulate the rules to gain advantage. We have been involved in Democratic and Republican politics, respectively, and we know electoral reforms don’t come easy.

But there are two kinds of steps that responsible leaders could take now to at least contain the danger without falling into partisan combat. The first is simply to speak to the problem in public. Elected officials and candidates — as well as journalists, commentators, scholars and others — should talk frankly about the challenges of running an election during a public health crisis, prepare the public for the possibility that we will not have results on election night, and that this does not mean that the results will be tainted when we do get them. Election officials must be given the time they need to count every vote.

Second, Congress can take a simple step to provide those officials with that time, particularly when it comes to the presidential election. Election Day, Nov. 3, should not be changed. But electing our president involves a series of steps following that day, which take place on a schedule established by law, not by the Constitution, and which Congress can adjust for this year’s special circumstances.

The first significant date on that schedule marks the end of the “safe harbor” period established by federal law, during which states are assured their reported presidential election results will not be challenged in Congress. This year that deadline is Dec. 8. Six days later, on Dec. 14, the 538 members of the electoral college meet in their state capitals to vote. Those votes are not officially tallied by Congress until three weeks after that, on Jan. 6, and the inauguration follows on Jan. 20.

That means 78 days pass between the election and inauguration, but states have only 35 of those days to process all the ballots and resolve all disputes and recounts — or 41 days if they forgo their safe-harbor protections.

If states confront serious logistical challenges, those 35 days could easily prove inadequate. Mailed ballots require signature verification, contacting voters whose handwriting is challenged and time for voters to respond. Some states already have efficient systems in place, including automated signature matching, but those procedures have been carefully built over several years. Other states are now trying to quickly set up new processes, equipment and training, and, inevitably, there will be problems and delays.

It is not hard to imagine time running out in a closely contested state facing these challenges. In 2000, for instance, the Supreme Court heard arguments in Bush v. Gore on Dec. 11, one day before the safe-harbor deadline, and the decision to end the recount was based in part on that deadline.

Changing the calendar after the election would be very difficult, because at that point various partisans looking at available results would have different views about who would benefit from an extension. But now, before anyone has voted, we can all agree that more time could help without giving one party an advantage over the other.

The specific calendar should be established by Congress, but it might be reasonable to have the electors meet on Jan. 2, after a safe-harbor deadline on New Year’s Eve. Even if the results remained unclear until well into December, state officials would have much more breathing room as transition preparations for both would-be presidents could commence.

We can hope that the election is not too close, one way or another, or that the logistics all run smoothly. But hope is not a strategy, and 2020 has not been a great year for just assuming the best. It would be a disaster if the outcome of the presidential election turned on an incomplete recount in a state struggling with unprecedented public health and administrative challenges under a deadline.

There are not many ways to avoid such a scenario in advance without sparking a partisan war. But there are a few ways, and Congress should pursue them.[/size]

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42303 on: July 11, 2020, 07:08:22 PM »

Curious what the legality of painting BLM on public streets really is? I know that when they painted that thin blue line on streets inmany towns in NJ it was declared illegal by the feds.

It is a political statement. Should it be painted on a public roadway?  And is legal to do so?

I'm not quibbling about the message. Just curious about whether it's legal to deliver it in this manner.

After all, I am guessing that if I took blue and white paint and wrote Support Israel on the street, their would be a legal consequence.

If you did it, it would be illegal. If it is approved by the Mayor and whatever committee controls such things, then it is as legal as renaming the road (as happened just down the street from the White House not long ago) and putting up new signs.

I'm not sure you're right. The feds have also declared rainbow crosswalks illegal.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/09/30/feds-keep-cracking-down-on-crosswalk-art/]

I'm not sure you're right. The feds have also declared rainbow crosswalks illegal.

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/09/30/feds-keep-cracking-down-on-crosswalk-art/
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 07:11:09 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42304 on: July 11, 2020, 07:18:29 PM »

]https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/09/30/feds-keep-cracking-down-on-crosswalk-art/]

https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/09/30/feds-keep-cracking-down-on-crosswalk-art/

Yup! The Highway/Transportation Dept. has been complaining about such things for at least 5 years that I know of. Last year, they sent a letter to Ames, IA, informing them that the rainbow crosswalks "could be distracting."

Ames voted to ignore the letter. They are hardly the last to get such a letter. Thus far, the Feds have not pursued it further than that.

And they are neither the first not the last to ignore it. There are areas in which the Highway Dept has jurisdiction. These are not they.

And street murals are not the same, either.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42305 on: July 11, 2020, 07:19:12 PM »

I'm just talking Black people who were treated uniquely awful for a long long time in the USofA.

I do agree with that housing article about the need to change zoning laws, which could make a big difference.
Like how?

Handing out money to those in need helps the problem on one side, but breaking down the zoning barriers on the other is important as well. Biden picks up a proposal from Sen. Cory Booker and Rep. James Clyburn to require localities that benefit from Community Development Block Grants or Surface Transportation Block Grants to develop plans to change zoning rules that block development of more housing types.
  Failed under LBJ (big time) in the 60’s.

No. It didn’t.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42306 on: July 11, 2020, 07:20:03 PM »

https://nypost.com/2020/07/11/ghislaine-maxwell-allegedly-filmed-politicians-with-underage-girls/

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it proves to be true and they are available to the prosecutors. Yes, regardless.

Boy, would that be a shocker to a lot of (potentially formerly) people!

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42307 on: July 11, 2020, 07:22:58 PM »

Stone, of course, explained that he was hoping for a pardon or some clemency, because "I could have turned on the president, but I didn't."

I'm pretty sure that is about as clear a declaration that there is guilt as one could ask for - and the president's then granting that clemency pretty much underscores it.

A loyal consigliere could not have asked for much better.
This from a guy who wants no bail for felons.

I love it when you make up my positions from vapor.

And even if it were true, it's irrelevant to the point, which you clearly don't want to discuss.

Do YOU think Trump should have given clemency to Stone? And given everything Trump lied about in his statement, why clemency and not a pardon?!
A pardon erases guilt.
Clemency does not.
But I really love your double standard.

Clemency ensures no book or movie deal or tv interviews where he could dish without caveat.

It’s a nicely embroidered leash.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42308 on: July 11, 2020, 07:25:46 PM »

“He told me that they fundamentally undercounted the Trump vote; that the Trump voter is not a voter in every single election, that they come out for Trump, so they’re hard to count,” the congresswoman told Politico. “On a survey, if someone says, ‘I’m not sure I’m going to vote,’ you don’t usually continue the conversation. And some of them didn’t have any desire to be on those poll calls; they didn’t have the 20 minutes to talk to somebody. They didn’t want to do it. And so, they were fundamentally undercounted.

“I believe that same thing is happening right now," she added

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-rep-elissa-slotkin-biden-trump-polls

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42309 on: July 11, 2020, 07:28:39 PM »

]https://usa.streetsblog.org/2019/09/30/feds-keep-cracking-down-on-crosswalk-art/]

Yup! The Highway/Transportation Dept. has been complaining about such things for at least 5 years that I know of. Last year, they sent a letter to Ames, IA, informing them that the rainbow crosswalks "could be distracting."

Ames voted to ignore the letter. They are hardly the last to get such a letter. Thus far, the Feds have not pursued it further than that.

And they are neither the first not the last to ignore it. There are areas in which the Highway Dept has jurisdiction. These are not they.

And street murals are not the same, either.

As long as they don't paint over CRACK IS WHACK...

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42310 on: July 11, 2020, 07:29:58 PM »

I taught Art courses at a private school in Potomac and a bunch of the boys were targgers who kept getting into rich kid trouble. I told the brats the difference between graffiti art and vandalism was permission.

When the mayors of these towns approve or in the case of DC commission the work I would think legality is not a huge problem.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42311 on: July 11, 2020, 07:30:24 PM »

https://nypost.com/2020/07/11/ghislaine-maxwell-allegedly-filmed-politicians-with-underage-girls/

I'll be pleasantly surprised if it proves to be true and they are available to the prosecutors. Yes, regardless.

Boy, would that be a shocker to a lot of (potentially formerly) people!

Clinton will surely be protected.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42312 on: July 11, 2020, 07:34:57 PM »

Was it?

Not that I give a rat's ass.  Yellow kind of brightens the place.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42313 on: July 11, 2020, 07:37:25 PM »

I support freedom, I support you being able to paint whatever you want on the street. One example is when people have the American flag painted on the sidewalk curb next to their address. I would have no problem with you painting whatever you want on the street. You can have an Israeli flag painted on the sidewalk curb here by your house and no one would mind.

Nah, man

Curb and sidewalk most times is not your property

If I painted TRUMP or another pol's name on mine it wouldnt be ignored.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42314 on: July 11, 2020, 07:40:32 PM »

“He told me that they fundamentally undercounted the Trump vote; that the Trump voter is not a voter in every single election, that they come out for Trump, so they’re hard to count,” the congresswoman told Politico. “On a survey, if someone says, ‘I’m not sure I’m going to vote,’ you don’t usually continue the conversation. And some of them didn’t have any desire to be on those poll calls; they didn’t have the 20 minutes to talk to somebody. They didn’t want to do it. And so, they were fundamentally undercounted.

“I believe that same thing is happening right now," she added

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/michigan-rep-elissa-slotkin-biden-trump-polls

Already posted, Kid.
Pages: 1 ... 2819 2820 [2821] 2822 2823 ... 4288