Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2830 2831 [2832] 2833 2834 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1594585 times)

Echo4

• View Profile

bambu.

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42466 on: July 12, 2020, 09:01:32 PM »

My no1 morning radio host just played some audio of a mask meeting in Florida.
Ray Hadley on 2gb.com 9am til noon Sydney time.
2gb.com might have the audio on its 'Ray Hadley Morning Show' page or its home page.

Anyway, apparently masks are now compulsory there.
People were objecting to being forced to wear masks.

One woman: "I don't wear a mask for the same reason I don't wear underwear
...I want to breathe!"

Others complaining about being forced "in the land of the free".
etc.
Other silly stuff rants.
Go woke, go broke.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42467 on: July 12, 2020, 09:04:38 PM »

Uno:  "You have yet to address the issues I've raised. How is the BLM state approved political message different than the state approved Ten Commandments statue  or something similar?"

BLM asserts something enshrined in the Constitution.   It's a political message the same way "we hold these truths to be self-evident... " is one.   The 10 Cs are a religious message and specific to one religion (though many of them are pretty good ethical guidelines and  you could do a lot worse), so they conflict with the Establishment clause,  as YG noted.   

The issue here is state sanctioned political messaging on public roads. It's not whether the message is one that should or shouldn't be valued. The question that has yet to be answered for me is why the government can endorse political messaging on public property?

Are you now arguing that BLM is not a political message?

What is your ultimate point?

Black Lives Don’t Matter If Confederate flags aren’t treated with the same respect?  NO.

Arguing in favor of Confederate anything is like demanding Nazi Swastikas be flown in front of public buildings in Germany.

This ain’t a moment this is a movement

YES. It's a movement. So it's a POLITICAL MESSAGE ON A PUBLIC ROAD.

So answer the question. WHY is that legal?
THINK this time before you answer.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #42468 on: July 12, 2020, 09:06:25 PM »

2gb.com
bambuland

"Teachers attend end of term function at Covid-19 hotspot"
100 staff from 16 different schools went to a pub to drink etc...in the middle of a pandemic.
Genius!

Now they all have to isolate for 14 days.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:11:09 PM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42469 on: July 12, 2020, 09:11:06 PM »

Quote from: Uno
   I asked a question and used your answer and Larry's to extend the conversation. Don't blame me for asking, and by doing so exposing some inconsistent thinking on your part.. 

Not sure if you saw Kam's post on "concern trolling."  This seems close to that.   I feel your didactic approach is not entirely candid here.

Are you suggesting that there is inconsistent thinking on his part?!

GASP!

Quick kill the messenger. You are using Trump's strategy as your own. No one can question you.

Pretty petty, Josh.

No, but you can make that accusation as much as it pleases you to. You do create a fine set of straw men. Always could.

I think, sadly, in your case, what we've shown here today is what was at the heart of the Harper's letter:  "While we have come to expect this on the radical right, censoriousness is also spreading more widely in our culture: an intolerance of opposing views, a vogue for public shaming and ostracism, and the tendency to dissolve complex policy issues in a blinding moral certainty."

You have yet to address the issues I've raised. How is the BLM state approved political message different than the state approved Ten Commandments statue  or something similar?

No, you'd rather try to declare some fault in the person asking you questions.

No difference between your strategy and Trump's.

So to you I'm "fake news" because I ask you to consider your POV is flawed.

Sad.

You didn't raise the Ten Commandments. You raised the Confederacy.

One is religion. The other is politics. The Mississippi flag was legal. A Ten Commandments statue is not, except for Oklahoma, where the statur of Satan is a tourist attraction, if still up.

You're "fake news" (your label, not mine) not because you ask me to check my POV, but because you do it under bogus premises.

You keep claiming I have an inconsistency, but not pointing it out. That is a fault in you. You create a dichotomous question, then reject the answer, claim I haven't answered it, and pose a different question. That is a fault in you.

You suggested I was taking things personally, then have complained that I was claiming fault in you. I'm happy to check my POV. You might consider the same. Or you might not.

You have my permission to paint whatever you would like for political speech on the street by my place. I won't sue unless you lie about me. And don't take down my beehives that are not on your property.

Well, that's a lot of words, but like Larry you ain't answered the question if why POLITICAL MESSAGES CAN BE PAINTED ON THE PUBLIC STREET LEGALLY?

You  have tried to change the subject, or go after me for asking it, but you have yet to answer it.

Don't be like the opposition and refuse to answer the question or deflect and pretend you have answered it.

Answer it.

Or be honest and say you don't know the answer.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42470 on: July 12, 2020, 09:12:27 PM »

Uno:  "You have yet to address the issues I've raised. How is the BLM state approved political message different than the state approved Ten Commandments statue  or something similar?"

BLM asserts something enshrined in the Constitution.   It's a political message the same way "we hold these truths to be self-evident... " is one.   The 10 Cs are a religious message and specific to one religion (though many of them are pretty good ethical guidelines and  you could do a lot worse), so they conflict with the Establishment clause,  as YG noted.   

The issue here is state sanctioned political messaging on public roads. It's not whether the message is one that should or shouldn't be valued. The question that has yet to be answered for me is why the government can endorse political messaging on public property?

Are you now arguing that BLM is not a political message?

What is your ultimate point?

Black Lives Don’t Matter If Confederate flags aren’t treated with the same respect?  NO.

Arguing in favor of Confederate anything is like demanding Nazi Swastikas be flown in front of public buildings in Germany.

This ain’t a moment this is a movement

YES. It's a movement. So it's a POLITICAL MESSAGE ON A PUBLIC ROAD.

So answer the question. WHY is that legal?
THINK this time before you answer.

Oh, look. UNO still doesn't like the answer.

So, UNO, since we've given you our answer and you don't like it, why not tell us your answer for why it is not legal.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #42471 on: July 12, 2020, 09:13:02 PM »

https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3D6b8Kg_a4Omo%26fbclid%3DIwAR3ma6cKJxrOAxK9mmxDuVievgVz9MOWjb6E8cMmDVHH_mPDZSh9wPA5IIg&h=AT0RXJX6dY2AQPucT3WaHT0B42qBbuKIaNe6JlYl4q67fV-Cg4wgVIqva8Qz5LQ04JbAsF-eUK_Yzu51Id-r8Ah27sooIi__sNUfRR9T8mrNz2Uvreo0K8UgFSAT1gdlXH9QjYoZpaBreIAT471ZIwRppHw7ytAnGPooYMfhZTlYo7RPEjTsah4

Betsy DeVos trying to answer about a plan for schools for the fall.

Betsy had a rough morning on CNN and Fox. She got schooled by Dana Bash and then Chris Wallace.

She was terrible in defending the administration's position for school reopenings and had nothing to say about any specific plans to help communities with the problems that will most certainly arise. Other than threatening to take away fuding from school's It was a typical policy disaster for this inept administration.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 09:16:18 PM by bankshot1 »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42472 on: July 12, 2020, 09:17:52 PM »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42473 on: July 12, 2020, 09:27:46 PM »

AOC contends the skyrocketing crime rate in NYC is due to high unemployment and the “ need to find bread” for families.
This from a woman who told Jeff Bezos and Amazon to leave town and forget bringing  tens of thousands of jobs to HER Congressional District.

She’s right, you know.
Yes, of course. People who need bread decide to go out and kill minority  people.
Especially if they are taking 6 year old children for a walk.

Ask UNO
UNO does not appear on my screen.
I see you have no answer.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42474 on: July 12, 2020, 09:28:33 PM »

AOC contends the skyrocketing crime rate in NYC is due to high unemployment and the “ need to find bread” for families.
This from a woman who told Jeff Bezos and Amazon to leave town and forget bringing  tens of thousands of jobs to HER Congressional District.

She’s right, you know.
Yes, of course. People who need bread decide to go out and kill minority  people.
You know, were it not for Red's long established history of caring for the plight of minorities and residents of the inner city, I would suspect him of feigning concern to make specious political points.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #42475 on: July 12, 2020, 09:31:24 PM »

Donald's boy toy governors are breaking all c-19 records.

---Defacing Public Property. Public property laws prohibit people from damaging, altering, or adding to public property without official legal consent. Individuals who choose to paint, spray-paint, or otherwise alter public property without proper permission may face charges of defacing public property.---
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42476 on: July 12, 2020, 09:36:31 PM »

DeVos on if it’s not safe for kids to go back: “well, if there’s a flare-up for a few days.”

Pressley hits DeVos over reopening schools: 'I wouldn't trust you to care for a house plant let alone my child'

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42477 on: July 12, 2020, 09:37:44 PM »

She’s right, you know.

Ask UNO

You didn't ask a question, Ward.

And UNO doesn't have to appear on your screen for you to ask him. I am sure, given his wisdom that one of us will repeat it for you.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42479 on: July 12, 2020, 09:46:55 PM »

She’s right, you know.

Ask UNO

You didn't ask a question, Ward.
Oh but I did.
Now you avoid it, too. 

Pages: 1 ... 2830 2831 [2832] 2833 2834 ... 4288