Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2847 2848 [2849] 2850 2851 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2009758 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42720 on: July 14, 2020, 02:17:09 PM »

Schools only have one purpose.
To be a place of learning

Kids need to be in school.

You don't understand the place of schools in 21st century America, Ward.

And while kids may need to be in school, they need to not be in school when it endangers their lives and their families' lives, not to mention the teachers' lives.

How many additional lives are you prepared to sacrifice on the altar of your "kids need to be in schools" proclamation?!

And... had Trump not thoroughly botched this pandemic and had so many governors not followed his lead, then yeah, we might be able to safely open up the schools in many more places.

Just answer the red question and I will be moderately pleased and quite surprised.

Bonus question: Would you be willing to sacrifice the same number of children if yours were among them?

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42721 on: July 14, 2020, 02:32:04 PM »

I guess it is permanently 1954 in your vacant excuse for a soul, but you should probably join the 21st Century and rethink what it can mean  to be "in school".
A parrot bit me.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #42722 on: July 14, 2020, 02:42:18 PM »

Having children in 2nd and 4th grade and having lived through the horrors of "home schooling" I can completely agree with the sentiment that the kids need to be in school, whatever "remote learning" advances people put forward as a solution.

But I can also know that given it is Donald Trump insisting that the kids actually go back to school and given that he is wrong about literally everything, that it would be unsafe and lead to more unnecessary deaths.  Of course, we are in the middle of a Pandemic at the moment (thanks to the incompetence of our "president") so common sense tells me that too.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #42723 on: July 14, 2020, 02:44:29 PM »

The virus doesn't actually recognize borders (or stop travelling in the air after 6 feet).  So having one state with one set of rules and the next state operating differently is self-defeating.  Same with county lines obviously.

Such a simple and inarguable point that was completely lost in the early response to COVID, with Pence constantly repeating the line that the response is up to States with the Federal government playing a support role (which of course they didn't do either.)

Now New York is expecting a second wave brought on by states that didn't do the work that New Yorkers did.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42724 on: July 14, 2020, 02:49:29 PM »

I guess it is permanently 1954 in your vacant excuse for a soul, but you should probably join the 21st Century and rethink what it can mean  to be "in school".
That’s news to countries around the world France, Germany, Singapore,Finland, Norway, Denmark, etc.
Children just do not get sick from COVID-19.
Protecting teachers is hardly rocket science.
Keeping kids at home is asinine, and hurts minority children the most since most of them would be deprived of not only a teacher-centered education but healthy meals, exercise,special healthcare needs, etc.
That’s why the American Association of Pediatrics wants all kids in school.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42725 on: July 14, 2020, 03:06:43 PM »

Lies from the republican death cult.

The pig stain on your fat chin gives you away every time.

Ha ha. Charade you are.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #42726 on: July 14, 2020, 03:08:53 PM »

That’s why the American Association of Pediatrics wants all kids in school

Either the place from where you're parroting talking points doesn't know the organization's name or you don't.  And by the way the AAP backed off there "all kids have to be in school" position.  Not only is it not 1954 anymore, it's not last week anymore either.  I know you're still basking in the glory of Trump's wonderful tax cut, but you really need to stop listening to him.

Just a few minutes ago you told us "schools only have one purpose to be a place of learning."  Now you're telling us they're for "healthy meals, exercise,special healthcare needs, etc."  Make up your mind.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 03:12:49 PM by Yankguy1 »
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #42727 on: July 14, 2020, 03:13:21 PM »

I think if we strip the politics away from the issue we all want kids back in school, and as safely as possible. First its best for the kids and then the parents and then probably the economy.

But we have to recognize that some kids will pick-up the virus, spread the virus, because its what kids do with germs, bugs, viruses, and thus some teachers and some parents, some grand parents and unrelated folks will get infected, hospitalized and some will die.

Further the situation in NY is different than Fl or Texas, (wherever) and solutions have to be tailored as best as possible to the local situation.

I'm not an educator or expert in this field, but maybe half-sized classes run 2-days a week with some form of home schooling/on-line options are feasible to handle a bad situation in the short-term. Or maybe in Fl  Tx schools don't open until late September after what could be a 2-month state shutdown has taken place. you know to actualy stop the spread so kids might be able to go to school safely or as safely as possible by reducing risk.

In any case, someone has to make the study public (because I assume the #s have been run) as to how many kids/teachers/parents etc will get infected if schools are reopened on time in late August/early Sept. in the hard hit states.

Someone has to provide a # of how many sick and dead kids and adults are acceptable to open the economy.

And the governor has to sign off on it.

that's a hard thing to sign-off on.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42728 on: July 14, 2020, 03:24:50 PM »

That’s news to countries around the world France, Germany, Singapore, Finland, Norway, Denmark, etc.

Active Cases:
France     16,000
Germany   6,000
Singapore  4,000
Finland        172
Norway        597
Denmark      291
US of A  1,800,000

Notice anything different?
And US cases are still increasing; those countries have transmission under control.

Wrong.

Protecting teachers is hardly rocket science.

So how do you do it?
If zero students get sick it would certainly be possible.  But I'm pretty sure that's some warped fantasy.   Kids and schools are traditionally very effective flu hotspots.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42729 on: July 14, 2020, 03:34:04 PM »

I meant greatest mass murderer of Americans by an American in history.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #42730 on: July 14, 2020, 03:34:17 PM »

Red got a tax cut.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42731 on: July 14, 2020, 03:34:46 PM »

That’s news to countries around the world France, Germany, Singapore,Finland, Norway, Denmark, etc.

France, Germany, Singapore, Finland, Norway, and Denmark have DIFFERENT levels of new cases going on and much lower new deaths/million than we do.

Is this news, Ward?

And BULLSHIT!

It is proven that Children can and do get sick from COVID-19. It is proven that they can die. And it is proven that they can have long term health complications, even when they survive.

The evidence has been posted here and as usual, you ignore it.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42732 on: July 14, 2020, 03:35:06 PM »

That’s why the American Association of Pediatrics wants all kids in school

Either the place from where you're parroting talking points doesn't know the organization's name or you don't.  And by the way the AAP backed off there "all kids have to be in school" position.  Not only is it not 1954 anymore, it's not last week anymore either.  I know you're still basking in the glory of Trump's wonderful tax cut, but you really need to stop listening to him.

Just a few minutes ago you told us "schools only have one purpose to be a place of learning."  Now you're telling us they're for "healthy meals, exercise,special healthcare needs, etc."  Make up your mind.
The AAP has issued detailed guidance for school re-entry that "strongly advocates that all policy considerations for the coming school year should start with a goal of having students physically present in school."

Correction to my previous post. AAP is an acronym of the American Academy[/] of Pediiatrics ( my editing error)

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42733 on: July 14, 2020, 03:37:06 PM »

That’s why the American Association of Pediatrics wants all kids in school.

From the American Academy of Pediatrics' statement:
Returning to school is important for the healthy development and well-being of children, but we must pursue re-opening in a way that is safe for all students, teachers and staff. Science should drive decision-making on safely reopening schools. Public health agencies must make recommendations based on evidence, not politics. We should leave it to health experts to tell us when the time is best to open up school buildings, and listen to educators and administrators to shape how we do it.

“Local school leaders, public health experts, educators and parents must be at the center of decisions about how and when to reopen schools, taking into account the spread of COVID-19 in their communities and the capacities of school districts to adapt safety protocols to make in-person learning safe and feasible. For instance, schools in areas with high levels of COVID-19 community spread should not be compelled to reopen against the judgment of local experts.  A one-size-fits-all approach is not appropriate for return to school decisions.

https://services.aap.org/en/news-room/news-releases/aap/2020/pediatricians-educators-and-superintendents-urge-a-safe-return-to-school-this-fall/
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 03:40:12 PM by Echo4 »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #42734 on: July 14, 2020, 03:38:11 PM »

France, Germany, Singapore, Finland, Norway, and Denmark have DIFFERENT levels of new cases going on and much lower new deaths/million than we do.

Is this news, Ward?

And BULLSHIT!
You can look it up.

Pages: 1 ... 2847 2848 [2849] 2850 2851 ... 4288