Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2960 2961 [2962] 2963 2964 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2009245 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #44415 on: July 24, 2020, 12:39:26 PM »

The WSJ Editorial Staff responds:

I saw it, thanks.  It is a more revealing letter than I think the WSJ Editorial Staff intended, in its clearly partisan mischaracterization of the WSJ staff's concerns, and the insults it levels at its own people.

All while doing nothing to address the concerns expressed, namely the lack of proper fact-checking, and a better separation between news and opinion.

The WSJ is no more or less partisan than its competitors, nor likely does it treat its employees drastically different than at NYT and WaPo or LAT.

It's the news BUSINESS, one must remember.

The problem, to paraphrase the late Daniel Patrick Moynihan, is the WSJ Editorial page is entitled to its own opinion but not its own facts.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44416 on: July 24, 2020, 12:40:48 PM »

The WSJ Editorial Staff responds:

I saw it, thanks.  It is a more revealing letter than I think the WSJ Editorial Staff intended, in its clearly partisan mischaracterization of the WSJ staff's concerns, and the insults it levels at its own people.

All while doing nothing to address the concerns expressed, namely the lack of proper fact-checking, and a better separation between news and opinion.
I don’t think you comprehend when you read. 
But it’s nothing new.

Coming from the man who cannot comprehend a simple stat like "percentage of white (non-Hispanic) and that it disproves his claim. your objection to anybody else's reading ability is specious.

barton

« Reply #44417 on: July 24, 2020, 12:41:30 PM »

The professional code of journalism is to function, in news coverage, as an entity completely separate from business, i.e. firewalled from corporate.

Few organizations have formally constructed a firewall of this nature, some do make an effort. 

A press that answers to plutocrat masters is not a free press.  A newspaper should promote not free markets or sticking it to "cancel culture" but rather promote the impartial and scrupulous discovery of facts.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44418 on: July 24, 2020, 12:42:28 PM »

The letter also singles out a story that ran last month in the opinion section titled “The Myth of Systemic Police Racism.” The letter says the article, by conservative writer and Manhattan Institute fellow Heather Mac Donald, “selectively presented facts and drew an erroneous conclusion from the underlying data.”

It drew millions of readers — and included arguments based on a study that was retracted, according to the letter.

Another study was misrepresented, per the letter: “The article also cherry-picked another study, ignoring the fact that its conclusion — police are indeed more likely to use nonlethal physical force on Black people — flatly contradicted the piece’s own argument.”

The journalists wrote that “employees of color publicly spoke out about the pain this Opinion piece caused them during company-held discussions surrounding diversity initiatives,” and that if the “company is serious about better supporting its employees of color, at a bare minimum it should raise Opinion’s standards so that misinformation about racism isn’t published.”

https://www.mediaite.com/print/wsj-reporters-call-out-misinformation-and-disregard-for-evidence-from-papers-opinion-section-in-scathing-letter/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #44419 on: July 24, 2020, 12:42:39 PM »

Cool chicks

They appear happy

Hope they stay safe

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #44420 on: July 24, 2020, 12:44:06 PM »

Why couldn't the US have been, at least, Italy?

Indeed.
I keep mentioning China as a comparison point, because that's where I am and what I'm familiar with (CBA will allow limited amounts of fans for the playoffs).
But you could compare the disastrous US response to the virus with Japan or South Korea or Euro-countries which did a poor job, but still much better than Trumpistan.

Italy did a somewhat sloppy job early on in their outbreak, failing to seal off the north and impose a strict quarantine on Lombardy Province (as China did with Hubei).   But then they got their act together and have things under control now.  Meanwhile the US is going to get worse before it gets better. 

Trump's ineffective and harmful leadership on par with Brasil's.

Italy also had the misfortune of having the first large outbreak outside of China, so their prep time and guidance on effective measures were less than what was available for the US.  I was in Malta when the Italy and Iran outbreaks got underway circa Feb 21.  The Italy outbreak should have been a huge flashing light, a clarion call, or even another metaphor for the US to take swift and effective action.  Didn't happen.

BONK!!!

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #44421 on: July 24, 2020, 12:55:41 PM »

Keep in mind there's a new grading system now, in which it goes D, C, A, F, B+
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

oilcan

« Reply #44422 on: July 24, 2020, 12:58:26 PM »

David Brooks today, on intellectual segregation, in the NYT.  Worth jumping the turnstile to read.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44423 on: July 24, 2020, 01:02:26 PM »

The reason to read the WSJ today is to know what Red will misquote tomorrow. Otherwise it’s pretty  useless as a paper. Might still be good for wrapping fish.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

oilcan

« Reply #44424 on: July 24, 2020, 01:02:49 PM »

For the record,  not that there is one,  I'm pretty far to the Left.   IOW,  I reside where there's a lot of creative ferment on how to have "economics as if people mattered. " 

My stance is unabashedly extreme:  I think life predicated on the notion of "I want to buy lots of cool shit" is a shallow one.   If you are wedded to someone whose life is dedicated to material wealth,  and/or being "better" than others,  dump them and go find a real person.  JMO.

I think folks have to realize that there is a relentless consumer culture churning away trying to make you part with your money for things you don't need.  I prefer to spend my money on things that will genuinely make me happy and enrich my life -- mostly international travel, also basketball (fun and fitness), books, etc.

Reducing your wants to things that matter to you also frees you up to work as much or as little as you want.  And I think it's good to weigh trade-offs.  Do I want to give $3 to Starbucks or to that guy living on the street?  I believe how and where you spend your money can change the structure of the world, especially if people join together.  If everybody gave $3 to my local homeless lady instead of to Starbucks, why she'd be a billionaire and calling the shots.

Thumb up.  She couldn't do worse than some of the current billionaires.

Yes, consumerism is almost like a conspiracy to make you feel unhappy.  You don't have X, ergo you must not be happy.  Obtain X, and you will be happy!  (for five seconds, anyway)  Basketball sounds good - spend money to have real experiences.  For a while, I heard millennials saying that they wanted to be about having experiences and not things.  That could be a positive trend (unless a lot of the experiences involve tons of jet fuel). 

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44425 on: July 24, 2020, 01:05:03 PM »

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/local/gov-baker-to-provide-update-on-coronavirus-in-mass-7/2165034/

Mass. Issues Mandatory Travel Order; $500 a Day Fine for Violations

Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker has issued a new mandatory travel order effective Aug. 1 requiring all visitors and residents returning to the state from high-risk areas, including students, to quarantine for 14 days or produce a recent negative COVID-19 test result

The fine for violating this order is $500 a day, he said.

This excludes the New England states and NY, plus Hawaii, subject to new data as time passes. Some specific professions are exempted.

Speaking of taking things seriously.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44426 on: July 24, 2020, 01:09:02 PM »

Like Kiid, most of Steven Miller’s family has publicly disavowed him. I wonder what country he’ll flee to in January.

At least kid knows who his family is. How's your search coming? Any leads?

I’m not going to tell you too much about my family since you are a known creep and a stalker.

Suffice it to say there is an old recipe for creatures like you that has been passed down through the generations. It starts with laying a fire in a deep clay pit. 

For that and other reasons I’d advise you not to look too hard for my family.

Have a safe day, and maybe think a little before you post if only for the sheer novelty of it.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44427 on: July 24, 2020, 01:18:37 PM »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44428 on: July 24, 2020, 01:22:41 PM »

Like Kiid, most of Steven Miller’s family has publicly disavowed him. I wonder what country he’ll flee to in January.

At least kid knows who his family is. How's your search coming? Any leads?

I’m not going to tell you too much about my family since you are a known creep and a stalker.

Suffice it to say there is an old recipe for creatures like you that has been passed down through the generations. It starts with laying a fire in a deep clay pit. 

For that and other reasons I’d advise you not to look too hard for my family.

Have a safe day, and maybe think a little before you post if only for the sheer novelty of it.

Think a little?

Good luck with that.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44429 on: July 24, 2020, 01:26:05 PM »

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2960 2961 [2962] 2963 2964 ... 4288