Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2988 2989 [2990] 2991 2992 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2008605 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #44835 on: July 26, 2020, 09:49:01 PM »

Ohio State losing to Michigan, too. Twice as many new cases per day in the state where the wrestling team will rape you and your kid, and the Congressman will help you cover it up.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/16/816707182/map-tracking-the-spread-of-the-coronavirus-in-the-u-s
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44836 on: July 26, 2020, 09:55:36 PM »

Speaking of Ohio, check this out: Columbus itself has several “food deserts”, the majority of which are concentrated on the near Eastside, the area just west of downtown, and all throughout the south city. Some areas, particularly those closer to downtown, have only worsened over the last few years. As development has shifted gears, accelerated, and boosted into the fast lane, many basic community needs have been left choking on smoke as the rest of the city gleefully rolls coal in their faces.

Any grocers that may have serviced these already malnourished areas in the past have already been shoved aside to make room for urban economic grabs. Multi-use developments and corporate offices now stand on the burial grounds of old Kroger lots. Food deserts are surrounded by (and interspersed with) million dollar condo properties. Thriving shoots of life that tower and grow, even as everything around it dies. Sometimes even because of it.

In this way, in particular, the city’s growth and production seem incredibly counter-intuitive. Instead of alleviating the problem with the tangibly beneficial, they build these specialty markets. Stores that cater to the locally-grown-organic-foodie scene while offering wine tastings for strangers to get unmitigatedly buzzed enough to actually speak to each other between bites of over-priced gouda.

Pretty sad place. Hello, boys and girls. Can you say "gentrification"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whfQf3Pd5bU
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 10:01:37 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44837 on: July 27, 2020, 12:18:47 AM »

I wish enough of those pushing to reopen had consciences enough and imagination enough that they would get what he means and it would give them pause.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44838 on: July 27, 2020, 12:29:35 AM »

The data show the 7-day running average number of COVID-19 cases reported in the U.S. The sudden break from rapid climb to flat corresponds to the day to the handover of responsibility for the data from the CDC to the highly politicized Department of Health & Human Services. It is difficult not to conclude that official numbers can no longer be trusted to tell us anything meaningful about the course of the pandemic in the U.S.

This plot demonstrates it even more clearly. It shows that the reported cases in Blue states from 2016 continue to go up, while reported cases in Red states from 2016 abruptly go from steeply increasing to decreasing on the day data handling was transferred from the CDC to HHS.

There is no ambiguity here. This cannot be a statistical fluke.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44839 on: July 27, 2020, 12:40:33 AM »

....to Boz's Sequoia-sequestered but not sesquipedalian report, a sequential reply:   

Seems like a good choice, in July.   

Re:  Ward - we've had the food deserts chat before.   Nothing stuck.   

Good governance is what you do when families are eating junk and it's setting them up for lifelong ill health... instead of twiddling your thumbs and waiting for everyone to become educated,  informed,  and in reach of a supermarket with healthy selections.  Funny no one questions regulations that protect your skull from shattering in a car,  but try to keep a pancreas from shattering and suddenly it's tyranny.   

Diabetes rates aren't high due to heredity but primarily due to stuff like "nutrition bars" that are mostly sugars and simple carbs.   Nobody's genes are designed for what's in a quick mart in a food desert.   For 99% of our evolutionary history, we didn't even eat grains,  let alone highly processed ones with most of the fiber removed.    We're built to eat roots,  shoots,  fruits,  nuts,  eggs,  fish,  game....hunter/gatherer stuff.
Quik Marts are not places Americans shop for food.
Fixed it for you. You never have had much insight into the lives of others.
You could look it up. But then you’d have nothing to say.

You could look it up, Ward, but you would never report back what you found, just as you ignore the evidence about the incidence and growth of diabetes in this country.

Okey Dokey Junior.
You look it up.
Oh wait. I see you already have.

I live in DC and my area is a food desert.

However, I have a car and since the pandemic we use Instacart.

I’m extremely fortunate and I know it.
Amazing how a free market economy adapts when the government stays away.

Larry rights that he was lucky he had a car and you interpret that as the free market economy adapting.

Geeeeeeeeeez, the ignorance. It burns!

How do we interpret "Larry rights"? Does Larry have special rights?

You’re an inane drone.

You're a humorless git.

Humorless?

That’s a classic line...

It’s not my fault it went right past you, you plebeian prag.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #44840 on: July 27, 2020, 01:54:44 AM »

Free Britney!
The bad people lurk in the shadows, waiting to pounce...the moment you get security careless.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #44842 on: July 27, 2020, 07:03:27 AM »

Protests reignite across U.S. as standoffs in Portland continue between protesters and federal agents

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-07-26/portland-protests-trump-federal-officer

This is the worst of recent times. Calls for a Lincoln or FDR type, but none in sight.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #44843 on: July 27, 2020, 09:25:03 AM »

http://slate.com/news-and-politics/2020/07/americas-pandemic-policy-is-built-on-choosing-money-over-lives.html

The problem is there was never a choice.  Money and health were aligned.
Taking strong, effective and early measures to limit and control the virus was the best way to help the economy. 

After the dress rehearsal failed due to costume issues, hopefully the US will get it right on the second try.  This isn't that hard a virus to stop.  Mask up.  Know that even people who feel fine could be infectious, and act accordingly.  Have respect for others and generally believe the virus can be anywhere, including in your body fluids, so be careful around others.  Act like were/you're one country, one people, with a shared environment and commitment to safety. 

A 2 month lockdown, and then can gradually open schools in October.  That's about the best we can hope for as of now.  Probably some areas can open schools sooner.  But you want to err on the side of caution.  And do the reopenings gradually and carefully. 

It ridiculously took until July to get a consensus on face masks.  But at least now that it's largely in place (25 states have mandatory masks wearing), get transmission under control and defeat the virus.  Trump could still largely end viral transmission and get schools reopened by election day.  (Of course, that could have already been accomplished a few months ago if the virus was tackled head on in March/April/May).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44844 on: July 27, 2020, 09:52:47 AM »

Protests reignite across U.S. as standoffs in Portland continue between protesters and federal agents

https://www.latimes.com/world-nation/story/2020-07-26/portland-protests-trump-federal-officer

This is the worst of recent times. Calls for a Lincoln or FDR type, but none in sight.

Nah.

Calls for the feds to stand down... state’s rights and all that...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #44845 on: July 27, 2020, 10:04:32 AM »

The data show the 7-day running average number of COVID-19 cases reported in the U.S. The sudden break from rapid climb to flat corresponds to the day to the handover of responsibility for the data from the CDC to the highly politicized Department of Health & Human Services. It is difficult not to conclude that official numbers can no longer be trusted to tell us anything meaningful about the course of the pandemic in the U.S.

kiidcarter8 when the numbers for China were talked about here:

You know you can't trust the numbers for new cases coming out of China.  They are an authoritarian regime that is suppressing the truth to make themselves look better and to sustain power.

kiidcarter when its shown that the US is cooking the COVID numbers:

Shrugs.  Trump needs to get reelected.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #44846 on: July 27, 2020, 10:18:24 AM »

There are certainly a number of people here who are not worthy debating with.
My advice, is make your point and move on.  Not get too bogged down.

I was amused at the new/old poster who came in here preaching civility and within 6 hours was calling people flaming assholes and princess and other insults.  I thought that faux act would hold up a bit longer than that.  That was a day for rapid skimming ...

Apologies for my sustained engagement of the Troll.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #44847 on: July 27, 2020, 10:19:42 AM »

Officially 288 active cases; 6 serious in China.

Might be years before the US can say the same.  Especially with anti-vaxxers running loose.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44848 on: July 27, 2020, 10:20:56 AM »

The GOP has marginalized itself to the point where their only hope in this cycle is massive fraud and disenfranchisement.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/07/27/opinion/republicans-demographic-trap/

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #44849 on: July 27, 2020, 10:26:30 AM »

I don't know if there is anything more GOP than their telling people not to wear masks that will save the lives of thousands of Americans because everything is A-OK, open up the Businesses (!) while they buy $14,000 worth of masks for themselves, and then lie about having purchased them:

https://www.businessinsider.com/rnc-purchase-face-masks-covid-coronavirus-trump-republicans-building-maintenance-2020-7
Pages: 1 ... 2988 2989 [2990] 2991 2992 ... 4288