Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3095 3096 [3097] 3098 3099 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1606157 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #46440 on: August 07, 2020, 04:40:12 PM »

YES!!!  Give that man a cigar.

People that aren't feeling well get tested.

Out of fear

And many unnecessarily

Some of these folks are falsely told they have the virus

Other false positives would be from among those traced from people they were around and thought to be positive.

So when you think about it, false negatives beget others

And when you think about it, false narratives beget others, too.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #46441 on: August 07, 2020, 04:42:23 PM »

https://www.yahoo.com/news/cnn-poppy-harlow-confronts-larry-154940680.html

Larry, Larry, Larry.

Not a good day for you.

Harlow began her interview by asking Kudlow if he and President Donald Trump are “worried” about the slowdown in the recovery.

“I don’t know that there’s a slowdown. These job numbers will go up and down,” Kudlow replied. When Harlow noted that only 1.8 million jobs were added in July compared to 4.8 million in June, he said, “That is true, and it's going to be uneven as it always is.”

Kudlow continued to push the administration’s argument that a $600 weekly federal unemployment benefit has been a “disincentive” for Americans to go back to work. And when Harlow asked for evidence, he pointed to a University of Chicago study that supposedly supports that claim.

“But, Larry, the University of Chicago survey, it doesn’t conclude what you’re arguing,” Harlow said. “I know you don’t want to incentivize people to go to work when it’s a dangerous situation for them to go because the virus is not under control,” she added, noting that she talked to the author of that study who said “it’s a mistake to draw the conclusion as you have been and the White House has been that right now it’s a disincentive to go back to work.”

All Kudlow could say in response was, “We can argue one academic versus another, I think history shows this is probably not sustainable in the long term.”

“I’m wondering why you have consistently downplayed the severity of the pandemic,” she said. “Back on February 25th you said ‘it’s pretty close to airtight.’ February 28th, ‘It’s not going to sink the American economy,’ March 6th, ‘Let’s not overreact, America should stay at work.’ And just on June 12th, ‘There is no emergency, there is no second wave,’ but since June 12th, 45,978 Americans have died from COVID.”

Kudlow attempted to defend his consistent downplaying of the virus’ severity but after a few moments he just resorted to attacking his interviewer.

“I kind of resent your little nitpicking here because I don’t know what that has to do with today’s job numbers,” he said.

“I’m not nitpicking, Larry,” Harlow replied. “I think people listen to you and the president when you say things about the pandemic.”

"Nitpicking" = telling the truth, Larry.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46442 on: August 07, 2020, 04:43:13 PM »

FOX's Cavuto with DeWine, discussing the Governor's false positive pre-Trump trip.

"Could it be that there are a percentage of people with false positives going around in your state - and in the nation - thinking they have this virus?"

Probably a small %.
Because as I understand it very few people get tested randomly or when they are feeling fine.  It's folks with symptoms getting tested.  And sure there will be some % of false positives (and false negatives int here).  Though my understanding is the US mostly uses fairly reliable, slow to process tests.

Also in DeWine's case, it's possible the 2nd test was a false negative and he really is infected ...

If I were asymptomatic and tested positive for the virus, I would wait maybe 2 or 3 days and then try to get retested if possible.

Right

And if second is negative you very likely never had it.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46443 on: August 07, 2020, 04:50:10 PM »

I like Poppy Harlow.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #46444 on: August 07, 2020, 04:51:02 PM »

“As awful as this pandemic is, climate change could be worse,” he wrote. “If you want to understand the kind of damage that climate change will inflict, look at COVID-19 and spread the pain out over a much longer period of time. The loss of life and economic misery caused by this pandemic are on par with what will happen regularly if we do not eliminate the world’s carbon emissions.”

Gates projected that, within 20 years, the economic damage from climate change will be as bad as having the equivalent of a COVID-19 pandemic every decade.

“The key point is not that climate change will be disastrous,” he said. “The key point is that, if we learn the lessons of COVID-19, we can approach climate change more informed about the consequences of inaction, and more prepared to save lives and prevent the worst possible outcome. The current global crisis can inform our response to the next one.”

https://www.marketwatch.com/story/bill-gates-another-crisis-looms-and-it-could-be-worse-than-the-coronavirus-2020-08-06?mod=MW_article_top_stories

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #46445 on: August 07, 2020, 04:51:46 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cuomo-expected-to-announce-new-yorks-school-reopening-plan-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

Let's hear it -

Have at Cuomo, folks.

Trump left the COVID response to the states.  Cuomo is leaving school opening to the districts.  Surely you agree with this.  The difference is in NY the virus is under control.  No deaths in NYC for the last three days in a row.  NYC - former epicenter of COVID!   Pretty good job Andrew!
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46446 on: August 07, 2020, 04:53:13 PM »

Just be consistent with judging the other states and we will be fine.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46447 on: August 07, 2020, 04:54:11 PM »

Anyone that killed DeWine wanna take anything back?

Nah...I thought not.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #46448 on: August 07, 2020, 05:04:11 PM »

Unfortunately, Israel has increasingly become a rightwing, militaristic, settler-supporting country. 

The main opposition to Netanyahu in the recent trilogy of elections? 
A coalition of generals who believed Bibi was too soft on Gaza/Hamas.
Third place was a coalition of Arab-Israelis.
Liberal or even centrist Jewish parties were minimally represented.

You certainly can quibble with Netanyahu.

But he was freely elected in a democratic state.

There will be NO democracy if Palestinians have there way.

In Omar Barghouti’s opinion piece this week in The Nation entitled Why Americans Should Support BDS, he once again misleads Western audiences of his true intentions by intentionally using nuanced language meant to deceive. He presents the BDS movement to western audiences as a social justice movement when in reality; it is a political movement that seeks the destruction of Israel.

He claims that the BDS movement does not target individuals, yet athletes such as Lionel Messi and artists such as Paul McCartney received death threats from BDS activists for merely scheduling to visit Israel to play a friendly soccer match and perform at a concert.

Mr. Barghouti describes Israel as an apartheid state, denigrating the true meaning of that term. With roughly 1.8 million Arab citizens of Israel, accounting for nearly 20% of the population, Israel has never practiced racial segregation; it is the only real democracy in the Middle East, where Arabs sit in the country’s Parliament and on its Supreme Court; while over 22% of the student body of the Technion, Israel’s version of MIT, are Arab students. Israel also has progressive laws when it comes to free speech, gender equality, as well as LGBTQ rights.

He often discusses Palestinian self-determination, but has denied Jews have any right to self-determination of their own, claiming that only the Palestinians have “inalienable rights” to self-determination, while Israeli Jews, whom he refers to as a settler-colonial population, despite over 3,000 years of historical ties to the land, have only “acquired rights” to reside there.  He could not be clearer when he states: “Definitely, most definitely we oppose a Jewish state in any part of Palestine. No Palestinian, rational Palestinian, not a sell-out Palestinian, will ever accept a Jewish state in Palestine.” He considers “Palestine” to be comprised of today’s Israel, Gaza and West Bank.

When he talks about the Palestinian right of return, his view is as much an affront to securing a peace deal as the settler movement is, with both taking a maximalist view of the territory. He seeks to claim all of the land from the river to the sea as Palestinian when he states: “If the refugees were to return, you would not have a two-state solution, you’d have a Palestine next to a Palestine,” and even states “there is no reason why it should not be renamed Palestine.”  His talk of a one-state solution as a means to peace is just empty rhetoric when he states: “I am completely and categorically against bi-nationalism because it assumes that there are two nations with equal moral claims to the land.”

https://blogs.timesofisrael.com/the-deceptive-language-of-omar-barghouti/

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46449 on: August 07, 2020, 05:08:15 PM »

Who else besides trump would allow someone as thoroughly discredited as Kudlow any responsibility, authority, or prestige. Trump is the only market Kudlow has left. It’s only natural he sold out as fully as possible rather than write his life off as a total loss.

Pataki
Moynihan
Whitman
Reagan...

Moynihan was a famous eccentric. The other three you mentioned are keys to how he became so thoroughly discredited and unfit for legitimate work.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46450 on: August 07, 2020, 05:15:33 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/media/minneapolis-star-tribune-endorses-ilhan-omar-opponent

Omar 15 minutes may be up         

She scares the shit out of you... good.

Actually not a big fan of hers myself. Too much hate speech comes from her.
But then, your definition of hate speech is being assertive about the problems of minority communities.

Actually, no. Dumbfuck.

Her particular kind of hate speech is well documented.

Let's just it doesn't start with, "Yo, Semites!"
My apologies. You are scratching a different itch this morning.  I will amend:

But then your definition of hate speech is being critical of Israel while Muslim.

You should stick to defining speech for yourself, not me.

Because I tend to deal with what's reality, not your perception of it.

Being critical of Israel is one thing, but trafficking in the usual anti-Semitic tropes that too many Muslims and others use is another.

I think if you vote for a Democrat, you are very, very disloyal to Israel and to the Jewish people,” Trump said in an exchange with reporters outside the White House before departing for an event in Kentucky.
On Tuesday, Trump had criticized Democrats over the views of Reps. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) and Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.). Both women have long been fierce critics of Israel and its treatment of Palestinians. They support the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, a global protest of Israel.
He had accused Jewish people of “great disloyalty” if they vote for Democrats, although he did not say at the time disloyalty to whom.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-says-that-jewish-people-who-vote-for-democrats-are-very-disloyal-to-israel-denies-his-remarks-are-anti-semitic/2019/08/21/055e53bc-c42d-11e9-b5e4-54aa56d5b7ce_story.html

I support BDS as I did against South Africa.

Israel today is not the Israel of the early 90s when my partners and I were representing basketball players for Hopoel Hulon.

In an interview, Omar Barghouti, a top B.D.S. spokesman, called the Israeli laws racist and exclusionary. A democratic state could still provide asylum for Jewish refugees, showing “some sensitivity to the Jewish experience,” he said, “but it cannot be a racist law that says only Jews benefit.” Asked if that means Jews cannot have their own state, he said, “Not in Palestine.”
Source: Nytimes

Some other quotes gathered for you from BDS leaders:

“If the refugees were to return, you would not have a two-state solution, you’d have a Palestine next to a Palestine.”

–Omar Barghouti quoting Sari Nusseibeh, President of Al Quds University. You can also hear him say this around 4:56 of this video.

“The ‘two state solution,’…as dictated by Israel, omits basic Palestinian rights…[and] would be yet another act of British complicity in bestowing legitimacy on Israel’s unjust order.”

–Omar Barghouti

“A Jewish state in Palestine in any shape or form cannot but contravene the basic rights of the indigenous Palestinian population and perpetuate a system of racial discrimination that ought to be opposed categorically….Definitely, most definitely we oppose a Jewish state in any part of Palestine. No Palestinian, rational Palestinian, not a sell-out Palestinian, will ever accept a Jewish state in Palestine.”

–Omar Barghouti

“You cannot reconcile the right of return for refugees with a two state solution….a return for refugees would end Israel’s existence as a Jewish state. A two-state solution was never moral and it’s no longer working.”

-Omar Barghouti

“[Jews] did not suffer in Arab countries. There were no pogroms. There was no persecution.”

–Omar Barghouti

“The BDS movement was launched because of the ongoing failure to protect the rights of the Palestinian people. Some of these rights were frittered away: The Right of Return is in danger, the right of our people to the 1948 lands is in danger, and even the right of our people to the 1967 lands. Some of these rights are ignored. The BDS movement was created in 2005, in order to focus on the elimination of the occupation, on the elimination of the system of racial segregation – the Israeli apartheid – and on the right of the refugees to return to the homes from which they were expelled.”

- Omar Barghouthi

“I clearly do not buy into the two-state solution.”

–Omar Barghouti

“If Israel finds a cure for cancer, for example, or any other virus, then there is no problem in cooperating with Israel to save millions of lives.”

–Omar Barghouti

——————————————————————————————-
“The real aim of BDS is to bring down the state of Israel….That should be stated as an unambiguous goal. There should not be any equivocation on the subject. Justice and freedom for the Palestinians are incompatible with the existence of the state of Israel.”

–As’ad AbuKhalil

That's who you support.

Yep.

One state. Secular Democratic Republic.

The right wingers fucked up any chance when they murdered Yitzhak Rabin.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46451 on: August 07, 2020, 05:16:00 PM »

Anyone that killed DeWine wanna take anything back?

Nah...I thought not.

I’ll add something. DeWine wishes there was a president in the White House that could help Ohio tackle Covid-19. Unfortunately he knows there isn’t one at the moment.

“Keep marching”.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46452 on: August 07, 2020, 05:16:52 PM »

Sounds like a nine year old bully trying to blame it on the other kid, a bully already so unmanageable he’s already being sized up for military school.

"Always blame the other guy"- top cop (deceased) once told me.

America is "the other guy"

Over the last months, a quip has circulated on the internet suggesting that to live in Canada today is like owning an apartment above a meth lab. Canada is no perfect place, but it has handled the COVID crisis well, notably in British Columbia, where I live. Vancouver is just three hours by road north of Seattle, where the U.S. outbreak began. Half of Vancouver’s population is Asian, and typically dozens of flights arrive each day from China and East Asia. Logically, it should have been hit very hard, but the health care system performed exceedingly well. Throughout the crisis, testing rates across Canada have been consistently five times that of the U.S. On a per capita basis, Canada has suffered half the morbidity and mortality. For every person who has died in British Columbia, 44 have perished in Massachusetts, a state with a comparable population that has reported more COVID cases than all of Canada. As of July 30th, even as rates of COVID infection and death soared across much of the United States, with 59,629 new cases reported on that day alone, hospitals in British Columbia registered a total of just five COVID patients.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/political-commentary/covid-19-end-of-american-era-wade-davis-1038206/

From May - but some stuff on US vs Canada re:  COVID-19

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/why-the-covid-19-death-rate-is-higher-in-us-than-canada/ar-BB13EXaA
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 06:30:29 PM by kiidcarter8 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46453 on: August 07, 2020, 05:17:47 PM »

BDS was started by:
officials from Human Rights Watch, Amnesty International and the Paris-based International Federation of Human Rights (FIDH) allied with South African and Palestinian groups

That there are some more radical elements involved doesn't surprise me given the passions involved on both sides.

You know who else doesn't support a 2-state solution?
Bibi Netanyahu.

This quote seems reasonable and is probably the standard Palestinian position:

“The BDS movement was launched because of the ongoing failure to protect the rights of the Palestinian people. Some of these rights were frittered away: The Right of Return is in danger, the right of our people to the 1948 lands is in danger, and even the right of our people to the 1967 lands. Some of these rights are ignored. The BDS movement was created in 2005, in order to focus on the elimination of the occupation, on the elimination of the system of racial segregation – the Israeli apartheid – and on the right of the refugees to return to the homes from which they were expelled.”

- Omar Barghouthi

Not that any significant return is going to occur, but it's part of the negotiating posture and some from of compensation could be involved in any deal

But thanks, I learned some about Barghouthi who seems somewhat militant/hardcore.  Maybe not more so than an actual powerful player such as Bibi who is preparing to annex lands taken in war in direct contravention of international law.

My question would be how do you get Israel to moderate its behavior and allow a decent life in Gaza and some pathway to the end of half century occupation of the West Bank? 

I can only see the economic pressure/boycott path, or the US either applying pressure or stepping back (which isn't very likely any time soon).
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #46454 on: August 07, 2020, 05:23:05 PM »

Who else besides trump would allow someone as thoroughly discredited as Kudlow any responsibility, authority, or prestige. Trump is the only market Kudlow has left. It’s only natural he sold out as fully as possible rather than write his life off as a total loss.

Pataki
Moynihan
Whitman
Reagan...

You mean before he fell down the well?

He hasn’t been anything but a hack since he snorted up Peru and chased it with single mallt.
Yeah, he and Stephen Moore have been so consistently right about everything, right?
Sucker.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 3095 3096 [3097] 3098 3099 ... 4288