Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3153 3154 [3155] 3156 3157 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2007897 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #47310 on: August 16, 2020, 01:59:12 PM »

Sometime less than a month from now, we will hit the point at which 2% of the country will have contracted the coronavirus.

Also likely within a month, we will have passed Sweden, then Italy, then the UK, and then Spain in number of deaths per capita from this disease.

Over the last 7 weeks (almost) since we reached our lowest average daily deaths (521), we have averaged over 900 deaths per day.

Ward wishes it had been higher.

Also... if we maintain an average of 900 per day for the next month, we will hit 200,000 deaths on September 15th.

Current projections have us hitting ~295,000 December 1st. Deaths per million of 895, which currently beats every
 country with a population greater than 100,000 people. (It's possible that Peru, Chile, and Brazil will manage to be ahead of us at that point, but they are nowhere near that, yet.)

"Trumpie, you're doing a heck of a job." ~Trump, sort of.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #47311 on: August 16, 2020, 02:03:59 PM »

I plan to vote early and often, BUT If people mail their ballots on November 3rd as is required to be a legal vote, then its up to the USPS to deliver that ballot in as timely a manner as possible.

Again if the USPS can handle 2 billion X-Mas cards in a month, there is no reason to believe they can't deliver a tiny fraction of that for our national election.

Trump's tainted political scambit is obvious to all.   

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #47312 on: August 16, 2020, 02:09:03 PM »

Kushner killing it today on Face the Nation - even though Ms Brennan wouldnt let him talk.

Leader of the party indeed

It will be a shame when he can't run on even level for being a Jew.

He had plenty of time to talk but he pushed back on her questioning him on other issues, which is her job, and he really only wanted to talk about the Israel-UAE deal.

On another matter, to address kid's take on Jared's likely political ambitions and future, to quote from Red's favorite comedy

totally safe for work, play or children under 13

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Of64QbBy4vo

If the HBO-Max intro doesn't cover this Red, I'll explain it to you.

And to the new pc intro (which I've yet to see) which reportedly provides context into the use of racsim-sexism-anti-semitism, homophobia, making fun of Mongo, violence against horses or pro-flatulence which most of us can get behind

we get who the good guys and bad guys are

we don't need no stinkin' badges

but to my knowledge there is no censorship involved and every tasteless joke is left intact

and thats still  a fucking funny movie,

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47313 on: August 16, 2020, 02:30:34 PM »

Again if the USPS can handle 2 billion X-Mas cards in a month, there is no reason to believe they can't deliver a tiny fraction of that for our national election.

As pointed out to Ward (though he will ignore it), every year the post office hires additional staff to handle the Christmas rush.

While this is going to be a lower rush, it is going to be at a time when they have not hired extras (and won't without more money) and in a more condensed time period, making the rush harder to handle - hiring temps for a month is not the same as for 10 days (or so).

It's manageable, but only if they have the fiscal resources and volition with which to do it.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #47314 on: August 16, 2020, 02:33:27 PM »

Rates are too low and expenses are too high while the number of addresses needing servicing are increasing. Any money Washington wants to grant under the guise of “COVID-19 relief” is needed for long term viability. Any argument it is needed for the 2020 election is just true.

FIFY

The argument for need in 2020 is obvious,  so obvious you keep evading it with other issues.   Lots of people voting by mail when there's a pandemic.   So prompt high-volume logistics are needed.   Now.   No one's disputing that deeper systemic repairs should come after,  which ensure timely delivery of necessities to people in remote rural areas and aren't dependent on a profit center for some private courier.   But fixing things now requires both Congress and a President who isn't subverting the USPS mission with a crony appointment  and a publicly stated contempt for full enfranchisement.
How cute. Your FIFY is a frequent childish tactic on this forum.
Usually happens when the poster has no rebuttal.

Yet I had a rebuttal you were incapable of answering.   I made the case that asking for emergency funding for a deluge of letters in a pandemic election is not "political noise," as you dismissively put it.   You had no substantive reply.   The FIFY is a running joke here,  so get over it.   Lime is a master of the art.   

Give me one reason,  ONE,  that the PMG should  pick right now to reduce overtime, sorting machines,  second pickups, and other measures that thwart a high-volume mail handling situation we will have this fall.   One reason that's not a corrupt crony attack on the November election.   Even Mark Meadows is trying to walk some of this foolishness back as people all over the political spectrum are expressing outrage.   

We're not debating the states responsibilities here,  but rather how the federal postal system can be slowed down to harm implementation of mail voting in some states.   Try to keep up.
LOL!
You are obviously failing at chewing gum and typing at the same time.
Cutbacks in the USPS are long overdue.  It is setup to be revenue neutral and subsist on revenues generated.
It is at least $80 billion in the red which means our tax money needs to bail it out.
Covid-19 is a convenient argument for the Washington politicians to use more of our money to coverup their unwillingness to make the postal service more meaningful in the 21st century.
Combining the election and Mail-in ballots as a further reason to send a check is pure political garbage.
The USPS can handle the volume, but it can’t guarantee on time delivery to 50 states, each of whom have different mailing dates.
Those of us who mail Christmas Cards learned long ago to mail them weeks before Christmas.
State Election officials and voters need to apply the same thought process.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47315 on: August 16, 2020, 02:43:15 PM »

Rates are too low and expenses are too high while the number of addresses needing servicing are increasing. Any money Washington wants to grant under the guise of “COVID-19 relief” is needed for long term viability. Any argument it is needed for the 2020 election is just true.

FIFY

The argument for need in 2020 is obvious,  so obvious you keep evading it with other issues.   Lots of people voting by mail when there's a pandemic.   So prompt high-volume logistics are needed.   Now.   No one's disputing that deeper systemic repairs should come after,  which ensure timely delivery of necessities to people in remote rural areas and aren't dependent on a profit center for some private courier.   But fixing things now requires both Congress and a President who isn't subverting the USPS mission with a crony appointment  and a publicly stated contempt for full enfranchisement.

Yet I had a rebuttal you were incapable of answering.   I made the case that asking for emergency funding for a deluge of letters in a pandemic election is not "political noise," as you dismissively put it.   You had no substantive reply.   The FIFY is a running joke here,  so get over it.   Lime is a master of the art.   

Give me one reason,  ONE,  that the PMG should  pick right now to reduce overtime, sorting machines,  second pickups, and other measures that thwart a high-volume mail handling situation we will have this fall.   One reason that's not a corrupt crony attack on the November election.   Even Mark Meadows is trying to walk some of this foolishness back as people all over the political spectrum are expressing outrage.   

We're not debating the states responsibilities here,  but rather how the federal postal system can be slowed down to harm implementation of mail voting in some states.   Try to keep up.
LOL!
I have no counter argument and resort to chdish tactics to ineffectually try to cover.
Cutbacks in the USPS are long overdue.  It is setup to be revenue neutral and subsist on revenues generated.
It is at least $80 billion in the red which means our tax money needs to bail it out.
Covid-19 is a convenient argument for the Washington politicians to use more of our money to coverup their unwillingness to make the postal service more meaningful in the 21st century.
Combining the election and Mail-in ballots as a further reason to send a check is pure political garbage.
The USPS can handle the volume, but it can’t guarantee on time delivery to 50 states, each of whom have different mailing dates.
Here are some right wing talking points I culled from a far right web site making an argument I did not fully understand.
Those of us who mail Christmas Cards learned long ago to mail them weeks before Christmas.
So what if Trump is deliberately trying to suppress valid voting! If he succeeds it is your fault!
FIFY.
A parrot bit me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #47316 on: August 16, 2020, 02:46:06 PM »

As pointed out to Ward (though he will ignore it), every year the post office hires additional staff to handle the Christmas rush.

While this is going to be a lower rush, it is going to be at a time when they have not hired extras (and won't without more money) and in a more condensed time period, making the rush harder to handle - hiring temps for a month is not the same as for 10 days (or so).

It's manageable, but only if they have the fiscal resources and volition with which to do it.

of course its manageable, compared to the annual X-Mas mail deluge its a non-issue, Its a potential problem wholly created by Trump to promote chaos confusion and concerns about the election and results.

Listening to him babble on about not settling this election for months or years should scare the shit out of every one.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #47317 on: August 16, 2020, 03:09:53 PM »

I plan to vote early and often, BUT If people mail their ballots on November 3rd as is required to be a legal vote, then its up to the USPS to deliver that ballot in as timely a manner as possible.

Yes.  Never disputed.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #47318 on: August 16, 2020, 03:13:22 PM »

For those who don't take the time to view quality programming available to you...shame...

- for those who do and are Showtime subscribers - reminder -

new season of THE CIRCUS starts tonight.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #47319 on: August 16, 2020, 03:16:49 PM »

Trump's new coronavirus buddy Dr, Atlas is extremely dangerous.  Usually I wouldn't use such a strong adjective, but it's of the type Atlas favors.

He supports herd immunity, what I call the Dead Granny strategy.  He actively wants the virus to spread more: 

Dr. Atlas:
a bigger price might now be paid from choosing extreme isolation. In the absence of immunization, society needs circulation of the virus, assuming high-risk people can be isolated. Infection itself allows people to generate an immune response — natural antibodies. Given the estimated contagiousness of COVID-19, about 60 percent of people in the community need to have antibodies to stop the spread by “herd immunity.” Remember, medical care is not necessary for the vast majority of people who are infected. We also infer from testing in Iceland and Vo, Italy, that half of infected people are asymptomatic. That has been misleadingly portrayed as a problem requiring mass isolation; those infected people are an important vehicle for establishing immunity by transmitting the virus to the low-risk group. Preliminary testing in Germany shows that perhaps 15 percent of people are immune; no doubt this varies greatly by region. It is very possible that whole-population isolation prevented natural herd immunity from developing.

And prevented huge numbers from dying and many more from getting badly ill.
Dr. Atlas -- with no background in public health or infectious diseases -- thinks asymptomatic people are useful transmitters on the road to herd immunity.

Shit, I mean that's the way the whole Trump fiasco has been trending, as perhaps 60M Americans, not far from 20% have likely been infected.

He has called it a “good thing” for younger, healthy people to be exposed to the virus, while falsely claiming children are at near “zero risk.”

Dr. Atlas: “It doesn’t matter if younger, healthier people get infected. I don’t know how often that has to be said. They have nearly zero risk of a problem from this,” he said in one appearance. “When younger, healthier people get infected, that’s a good thing,” he went on to say, “because that’s exactly the way that population immunity develops.

Trump's new advisor.
I'd be running ads quoting this crackpot, linking him as Trump's new advisor, and warning people that if Trump wins, the US will just give up trying to stop the virus and allow the virus to spread freely and if you survive you're part of the lucky ones who get to keep living.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 05:44:03 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #47320 on: August 16, 2020, 03:19:56 PM »

FIFY

LOL!

Why did the GOP kneecap the USPS in 2006?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47321 on: August 16, 2020, 03:20:58 PM »

Yes.  Never disputed.
Many states require receipt of the ballot by election day.
A parrot bit me.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #47322 on: August 16, 2020, 03:35:30 PM »

Yes.  Never disputed.

I expect the disputes about contested mail-in ballots will come after November 3rd, as Trump swims against the massive Blue Tsunami that is the people's will and will hopefully leanse the feces filled swamp.

I suspect that anything that Trump smells as clean and legitimate and black or blue, will be labeled as tainted and challenged. 

VOTE EARLY

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47323 on: August 16, 2020, 03:36:53 PM »

Yes, it is set up to be revenue neutral and to subsist on revenues generated.

I question that choice.

You correctly note that it is hamstrung in its operation. (See also: infrastructure)

(I agree that it needs assistance in meeting that debt. (I don't know anybody who is arguing against that point, however, so I wonder what its purpose is.)

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47324 on: August 16, 2020, 03:38:26 PM »

For those who don't take the time to view quality programming available to you...shame...

- for those who do and are Showtime subscribers - reminder -

new season of THE CIRCUS starts tonight.

Says the person who won't spend the vast sums of money to subscribe to the Washington Post.
Pages: 1 ... 3153 3154 [3155] 3156 3157 ... 4288