Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3161 3162 [3163] 3164 3165 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2007361 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #47430 on: August 17, 2020, 11:44:30 AM »

"according to Daily Telegraph columnist Miranda Devine"

You need to stop relying on columnists for your thoughts and shift to NEWS.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47431 on: August 17, 2020, 11:49:06 AM »

He - Needs - such a card.  (You should be dealt with)  COVID has hurt Trump in polling - as it would have for any sitting president.

Any sitting president who mismanaged it the way Trump did.

You are forgetting (conveniently) that his ratings went up initially, when he seemed to be taking control of things...

unitl it became clear that it was seeming, rather than really taking control.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47432 on: August 17, 2020, 11:50:21 AM »

(You should be dealt with)

Notable how the racists on the board are also the ones who resort to threats.

That was just a pun on card, not a threat.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47433 on: August 17, 2020, 11:54:15 AM »

On COVID "recovery:"

An intriguing new study from Germany offers a glimpse into how SARS-CoV-2 affects the heart. Researchers studied 100 individuals, with a median age of just 49, who had recovered from Covid-19. Most were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms.

An average of two months after they received the diagnosis, the researchers performed M.R.I. scans of their hearts and made some alarming discoveries: Nearly 80 percent had persistent abnormalities and 60 percent had evidence of myocarditis. The degree of myocarditis was not explained by the severity of the initial illness.

Though the study has some flaws, and the generalizability and significance of its findings not fully known, it makes clear that in young patients who had seemingly overcome SARS-CoV-2 it’s fairly common for the heart to be affected. We may be seeing only the beginning of the damage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/opinion/covid-19-heart-disease.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

That sounds related to stuff Kam and I posted about at the end of last month, here:
http://forums.escapefromelba.com/index.php?topic=55.msg137601;topicseen#msg137601

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47434 on: August 17, 2020, 11:57:40 AM »

About those postal sorting machine removals:
https://www.cnn.com/2020/08/16/politics/usps-documents-sorting-machine-removal-order/index.html

Sounds like most of them had been scheduled to be removed by the end of last month.

But not all.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #47435 on: August 17, 2020, 12:01:01 PM »

Uh, very curious why you think something can't be both.  Not that I care, truly, but your post is nonsense.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47436 on: August 17, 2020, 12:01:23 PM »

barton

« Reply #47437 on: August 17, 2020, 12:02:53 PM »

On COVID "recovery:"

An intriguing new study from Germany offers a glimpse into how SARS-CoV-2 affects the heart. Researchers studied 100 individuals, with a median age of just 49, who had recovered from Covid-19. Most were asymptomatic or had mild symptoms.

An average of two months after they received the diagnosis, the researchers performed M.R.I. scans of their hearts and made some alarming discoveries: Nearly 80 percent had persistent abnormalities and 60 percent had evidence of myocarditis. The degree of myocarditis was not explained by the severity of the initial illness.

Though the study has some flaws, and the generalizability and significance of its findings not fully known, it makes clear that in young patients who had seemingly overcome SARS-CoV-2 it’s fairly common for the heart to be affected. We may be seeing only the beginning of the damage.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/opinion/covid-19-heart-disease.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

There's a lot of causal pathways to study here.  Sometimes even the ordering of cause and effect isn't clear.  For example, are people with inflammatory reactions (the basis of most cardio and metabolic disease - keep eating those omega-3s!) that lead to mild (undiagnosed) myocarditis or other heart issues, also more prone to catch, and have some symptoms of covid-19?  How do we know of the subjects described as "asymptomatic"?  Were they already seeking medical attention for other matters, and so got tested?  Or were they tested because a job or other situation required testing? 

Better studies will be ones where an MRI baseline has been established before the patient has covid, so that a before/after comparison can be made of the heart.  Also, how long does the myocarditis persist?  Could it be a temporary response to elevated cytokines and/or histamines?  "Persistent abnormalities" needs to be more strictly defined here, too. 

In the meantime, take care of yourselves.  A zinc and selenium supplement.  Turmeric as a spice.  Red grapes.  Lots of olive oil and fish oil, both protecting against inflammatory cell response in the CV system.  Vitamin K2 to reduce vascular calcification and plaques. 

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47438 on: August 17, 2020, 12:04:28 PM »

Uh, very curious why you think something can't be both.  Not that I care, truly, but your post is nonsense.

"You're a card. You need to be dealt with." is an ancient line. Once one says the first, the second follows.

I think something can be both, but I've never heard that combination used as a sincere threat. And it's only a mock threat in the vaguest of senses.

It is not, in this instance, my post that is nonsense. He wasn't threatening you. He was being "clever."

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #47439 on: August 17, 2020, 12:10:47 PM »

"You're a card. You need to be dealt with." is an ancient line. Once one says the first, the second follows.

Huh.  Interesting.  Never heard that "ancient line" myself.  A google search doesn't bring it up, and googling "You're a card" brings up hundreds of thousands of instances where the second does not follow.

I think something can be both, but I've never heard that combination used as a sincere threat.

And you would know that in this instance that combination was not used as a sincere threat how?

It is not, in this instance, my post that is nonsense. He wasn't threatening you. He was being "clever."

It is nonsense to say that because something is a pun it can not be something else.  Like saying "Your breasts are like cow udders, I'd like to milk them" can not be sexual harassment, for example.

Your post provided none of the (dubious) context you since provided.  Without it, it was nonsensical.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #47440 on: August 17, 2020, 12:19:44 PM »

It didn't strike me as a threat.  It is an old joke.  Believe what you will, but I think Kid tries to bond with people, even if the roles are adversarial.  Consider the stuff people say to him here, I'd say that was a pretty gentle tap.  JMO

barton

« Reply #47441 on: August 17, 2020, 12:21:08 PM »

A propos of Bo's post on clean energy....

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/17/business/energy-environment/oil-companies-europe-electric.html?action=click&module=News&pgtype=Homepage

We could be doing this here in the U.S.  Fuck Trump.

barton

« Reply #47442 on: August 17, 2020, 12:23:49 PM »

From the above article:

This may turn out to be the year that oil giants, especially in Europe, started looking more like electric companies.

Late last month, Royal Dutch Shell won a deal to build a vast wind farm off the coast of the Netherlands. Earlier in the year, France’s Total, which owns a battery maker, agreed to make several large investments in solar power in Spain and a wind farm off Scotland. Total also bought an electric and natural gas utility in Spain and is joining Shell and BP in expanding its electric vehicle charging business.

At the same time, the companies are ditching plans to drill more wells as they chop back capital budgets. Shell recently said it would delay new fields in the Gulf of Mexico and in the North Sea, while BP has promised not to hunt for oil in any new countries.

Prodded by governments and investors to address climate change concerns about their products, Europe’s oil companies are accelerating their production of cleaner energy — usually electricity, sometimes hydrogen — and promoting natural gas, which they argue can be a cleaner transition fuel from coal and oil to renewables.

For some executives, the sudden plunge in demand for oil caused by the pandemic — and the accompanying collapse in earnings — is another warning that unless they change the composition of their businesses, they risk being dinosaurs headed for extinction.

This evolving vision is more striking because it is shared by many longtime veterans of the oil business....

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #47443 on: August 17, 2020, 12:38:29 PM »

Consider the stuff people say to him here, I'd say that was a pretty gentle tap. 

"You need to be dealt with" is a threat, whatever old joke or pun comes before it, or whatever the chances that threat could be carried out.  And its gentle only because I know kiidcarter8 himself is a joke, but I noted (note, I said its "notable") because that kind of language is being used against the Right's political opposition with varying levels of sincerity at the moment (see QAnon)

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #47444 on: August 17, 2020, 12:39:26 PM »

Huh.  Interesting.  Never heard that "ancient line" myself.  A google search doesn't bring it up, and googling "You're a card" brings up hundreds of thousands of instances where the second does not follow.

I don't know what you searched.
https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=ALeKk03dKhxH2FJ_95gIB2L7BJkhjyLTCA%3A1597681207133&ei=N646X9fVB-yl_Qb7r5zQCA&q=%22you%27re+a+card%22+%22need+to+be+dealt+with%22&oq=%22you%27re+a+card%22+%22need+to+be+dealt+with%22&gs_lcp=CgZwc3ktYWIQAzoHCCMQrgIQJ1CfT1jtXWDnY2gAcAB4AIABbIgBqwKSAQMxLjKYAQCgAQGqAQdnd3Mtd2l6wAEB&sclient=psy-ab&ved=0ahUKEwiXzcKm0qLrAhXsUt8KHfsXB4oQ4dUDCAw&uact=5

But if you feel threatened, I am sorry. I will ask Kid to not use that phrase at you again.
Pages: 1 ... 3161 3162 [3163] 3164 3165 ... 4288