Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3201 3202 [3203] 3204 3205 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1883537 times)

Yankguy1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #48030 on: August 22, 2020, 08:12:30 PM »

The African-American vote will be about 90  per cent for Biden. Red will shake his head and tsk tsk because he knows better: Trump is great for "the blacks."
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #48031 on: August 22, 2020, 08:22:14 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #48032 on: August 22, 2020, 08:39:07 PM »

Thanks for that Hayes-Tilden article,  Josh.   Fascinating.  And that kind of deal with the devil only fucks up the nation for a century or so,  right?

The deal with the devil was that it took that long before somebody took that much advantage of the system. What we are seeing today is just another of the thoroughly predictable aspects of the Constitution.

The Articles of Confederacy had their own issues, but were not vulnerable to this kind of power grabbing demagoguery. Thomas Jefferson demonstrated quite ably just how easy it was for a Chief Executive under the Constitution to ignore its limits so long as Congress would go along with him and the Courts were not called upon. Andrew Jackson demonstrated that even when the Court's authority was summoned, if the Chief Executive chose not to heed it and the Senate would do nothing, the Justices were impotent even if they chose not to be blind.

Of course, they chose to be blind sufficiently frequently along the way that relying on them has seemed pretty futile too much of the time, anyway. ( Dred Scott, Plessy v. Ferguson, Buck v. Bell, Korematsu v. United States, Chae Chan Ping v. United States, McCleskey v. Kemp, Kelo v. City of New London, Bennis v. Michigan... and that's without getting into Citizens United or Berghuis v. Thompkins or Gore v. Bush.) (At least Dred Scott and Plessy have been reversed. Korematsu has been declared bad law, yet its practices seem to be allowed to continue. I suspect that under this Court that Buck would pass again, depending upon the population being involuntarily sterilized. Ditto Chae Chan Ping.)

But... the practices that brought us President Hayes are almost demanded of a "true patriot," who believes that only one individual can save the nation.
The great Compromise that gave Hayes the White House was a disaster for black Americans. The democrats’ condition was the end of Reconstruction and complete democrat rule of the southern states. (Which Hayes consented to) It proved to be disastrous for Southern blacks. Their vote was suppressed, racism flourished, so did the KKK, And Jim Crow eventually came into power. 
That’s a chapter of the story you neglected.

So true.

And just as pertinent to this election. If Trump gets himself re-installed as president through machinations by the GOP, it will be disastrous for Blacks all over the country, among others.
Funny.
Trump’s policies benefitted black employment more than any other minority group.
Until the Governors locked down the country , that is.
Joe Biden says he would do it again.(even though he has no power to do so)
Why would a black vote for Biden?

Because there is so much more to life than employment, Ward, and Trump was bad for discrimination and racism in this country. (Even though you deny it.)
And you can’t make a case for it.  There is much more to life than employment? Without a job no one has hope to better their lives. I doubt you thought that one through 

And Blacks were (and are being) hurt far worse by the failure to lock down than anybody else. They value their lives and their families' lives more than income.
Really?  You speaking for the blacks that suffered from denial of treatment, tests,and medical attention for non- Covid matters during the lockdowns? You can’t be serious.
Why would they vote for Trump?!
Jobs.
It is amazing that in the just completed democrat Convention Biden/Harris were silent on jobs.
It is not surprising that the Convention Bounce for Biden/Harris was zero.

And we are back to the same old Ward who denies things many times over proven.

If your theory of race were even close to reality, Bernie Sanders would have been the 2016 nominee and/or the 2020 nominee.

Biden wasn't silent on jobs. You were deaf to what he said.
What’s his plan?
It is not just COVID, Ward. It is our entire medical system that suffers from racism.
our entire medical system is racist ?
How?
Nor is it just the medical system - criminal justice, housing, employment, education... you name it and it's got systemic racism.
America is much better than you 
A whole lot better.

barton

« Reply #48033 on: August 22, 2020, 08:39:14 PM »

Thanks for that Hayes-Tilden article,  Josh.   Fascinating.  And that kind of deal with the devil only fucks up the nation for a century or so,  right?

The deal with the devil was that it took that long before somebody took that much advantage of the system. What we are seeing today is just another of the thoroughly predictable aspects of the Constitution.

The Articles of Confederacy had their own issues, but were not vulnerable to this kind of power grabbing demagoguery. Thomas Jefferson demonstrated quite ably just how easy it was for a Chief Executive under the Constitution to ignore its limits so long as Congress would go along with him and the Courts were not called upon. Andrew Jackson demonstrated that even when the Court's authority was summoned, if the Chief Executive chose not to heed it and the Senate would do nothing, the Justices were impotent even if they chose not to be blind.

Of course, they chose to be blind sufficiently frequently along the way that relying on them has seemed pretty futile too much of the time, anyway. ( Dred Scott, Plessy v. Ferguson, Buck v. Bell, Korematsu v. United States, Chae Chan Ping v. United States, McCleskey v. Kemp, Kelo v. City of New London, Bennis v. Michigan... and that's without getting into Citizens United or Berghuis v. Thompkins or Gore v. Bush.) (At least Dred Scott and Plessy have been reversed. Korematsu has been declared bad law, yet its practices seem to be allowed to continue. I suspect that under this Court that Buck would pass again, depending upon the population being involuntarily sterilized. Ditto Chae Chan Ping.)

But... the practices that brought us President Hayes are almost demanded of a "true patriot," who believes that only one individual can save the nation.
The great Compromise that gave Hayes the White House was a disaster for black Americans. The democrats’ condition was the end of Reconstruction and complete democrat rule of the southern states. (Which Hayes consented to) It proved to be disastrous for Southern blacks. Their vote was suppressed, racism flourished, so did the KKK, And Jim Crow eventually came into power. 

But which THE ARTICLE JOSH POSTED DISCUSSED IN SOME DETAIL.   TRY READING.
Except it didn’t.

Oops,  looks like someone skimmed...and missed this...

....from the New Yorker article Josh posted:

The tension broke only after William Levy, a Democratic representative from Louisiana who had been in on negotiations between the Southern states and Hayes’s camp, finally signalled that a deal had been struck. Tilden and the Democrats would concede the White House to Republicans, allowing Hayes to effectively steal back the election. Rising to speak in the House chamber, Levy called upon his fellow-Democrats “to join me in the course which I feel called upon and justified in pursuing.” The price that Democrats exacted from Republicans, though, was incalculably high: the drawdown of federal troops in the Southern states, the end of Reconstruction, and the consignment of Black citizens to a century of violent repression. “The negro will disappear from the field of national politics,” The Nation wrote at the time. “Henceforth, the nation, as a nation, will have nothing more to do with him.”   

https://www.newyorker.com/news/campaign-chronicles/what-happens-if-donald-trump-fights-the-election-results

Woopsy.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #48034 on: August 22, 2020, 08:44:08 PM »

I did 
Not sure what your response is supposed to mean other than my post proved to be true 

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48035 on: August 22, 2020, 09:02:30 PM »

Trump had begun his poisonous squat in the abscess in American government following the departure of President Obama in time to reap benefits of the Obama Biden policies. He took nearly three years to bring the economy to recession conditions last felt under Bush. He reached this recession before Corona was announced despite pulling on generations of debt to juice his short term numbers.

By now trump’s signature leadership style has us with a raw job number lower than we had 5 years ago.

Trump has never held a job. The only things he has ever created are all in most respects out and out frauds.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #48036 on: August 22, 2020, 09:03:06 PM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #48037 on: August 22, 2020, 09:08:27 PM »

http://www.politico.com/news/2020/08/22/donald-trump-republican-convention-scramble-400222

Apparently the republicans are going to try to make us feel.

I don’t think it’s likely to turn out the way they intend.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48038 on: August 22, 2020, 09:23:00 PM »

It is not just COVID, Ward. It is our entire medical system that suffers from racism.
our entire medical system is racist ?
How?
Nor is it just the medical system - criminal justice, housing, employment, education... you name it and it's got systemic racism.
America is much better than you 
A whole lot better.

We've been through this before. I present evidence. You ignore it and then later claim I have not shown you any evidence.

Or I give you a bunch of links and you LOL, while ignoring what they say. Same as you did the article you claim didn't discuss the impact of Hayes' getting elected, even though it did.

But here, Ward:
https://www.aafp.org/about/policies/all/institutional-racism.html

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4194634/

https://www.health.harvard.edu/blog/racism-discrimination-health-care-providers-patients-2017011611015

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/racism-in-health-care-isnt-always-obvious/

https://www.medpagetoday.com/blogs/kevinmd/84362

https://www.americanbar.org/groups/crsj/publications/human_rights_magazine_home/the-state-of-healthcare-in-the-united-states/racial-disparities-in-health-care/

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/09/systemic-racism-black-health-disparities/

https://www.nationalnursesunited.org/blog/what-algorithms-tell-us-about-structural-racism-health-care

https://www.wbur.org/cognoscenti/2020/06/12/anti-racism-in-medicine-hospitals-ayotomiwa-ojo

https://www.gc.cuny.edu/News/All-News/Detail

https://www.prri.org/research/poll-child-welfare-poverty-race-relations-government-trust-policy/

There are so many more, Ward. The folks in the profession know they have a systemic racism problem, even if you want to live with your head buried in the sand.

And then there is the one I shared last week:
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-08-black-newborns-die-white-doctor.html

Your gratuitous insult about Americans being better than me is taken in the spirit in which it is offered: You DENY that American systems are racist. So, if I say they are, then I am bad and the well-behaved Americans are better than I because I think they live in and promulgate a systemically racist country.

EVERY FUCKING PIECE OF EVIDENCE SUPPORTS MY POSITION, SHITHEAD.

In all the years you have been posting, you have never once had a counter to that claim because their is none - the evidence is in.

I WISH that Americans were uniformly better than I am. I wrestle with my biases, Ward. You wallow in yours, while denying they exist.

There are plenty of Americans who are, in fact, better than I am.

You are not among them.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48039 on: August 22, 2020, 09:24:02 PM »

I did 
Not sure what your response is supposed to mean other than my post proved to be true

"My name is Ward and words mean only what I say they mean."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #48040 on: August 22, 2020, 09:39:47 PM »

LOL!
Regurgitating selected  opinions is not evidence of anything but YOUR racism.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #48041 on: August 22, 2020, 09:57:17 PM »

LOL!

Nigga please...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48042 on: August 22, 2020, 10:00:54 PM »

LOL!

If they were only opinions, it would be lovely.

But, as ever, your "I know you are, but what am I?" elementary school level argument style  underscores that you have nothing to say, nothing to add, nothing to discuss. You are the shithead I labeled you.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #48043 on: August 22, 2020, 10:03:28 PM »

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #48044 on: August 22, 2020, 10:23:44 PM »

When your sister thinks you’re a piece of shit.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/maryanne-trump-barry-secret-recordings/2020/08/22/30d457f4-e334-11ea-ade1-28daf1a5e919_story.html

PAY SITE

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f41b53bc5b6305f32586272

Ouch. Sisters can be tough, but this is something else. She’s a co-conspirator on the tax fraud.

Some of the tax fraud, not others, I suspect.

I do wonder if he threatened her and, if so, if there was evidence.
Pages: 1 ... 3201 3202 [3203] 3204 3205 ... 4288