Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3461 3462 [3463] 3464 3465 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1996562 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #51930 on: October 02, 2020, 10:25:23 AM »

https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-debate-prep-no-masks-worn-chris-christie-says-2020-10

Former New Jersey Governor Chris Christie said no one wore masks while helping President Donald Trump prepare for Tuesday night's presidential debate against Joe Biden.

"No one was wearing masks in the room when we were prepping the president," he told ABC's "Good Morning America," after Trump announced he and First Lady Melania Trump tested positive for COVID-19.

"I was at the White House from Saturday afternoon through lunchtime on Tuesday, on and off during those days. I was tested every day I went to the White House," Christie said. "The last test I took was on Tuesday morning and I was negative, and I'm going to get a test this morning to see if that status has changed. I feel fine, I don't feel any symptoms at this time, and I obviously hope it remains that way."

Of course you were there "through lunchtime", Chris. 

Better hope Trump hasn't put you on his special weight loss program, Covid-19: Lose 19 pounds in just 19 days! It's a miracle!!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #51931 on: October 02, 2020, 10:25:56 AM »

Trump's October surprise. He's going to do his Warren Harding act, now.

For Biden's sake,  if he wins,  I hope the Curse of Tippecanoe doesn't kick in.   (for those unfamiliar, worth googling -- native medicine man,  William Henry Harrison,  years divisible by 20)  Lotta aerosols flying from the presidential piehole at the debate.

I think Bonnie St. Ronnie broke that curse.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #51932 on: October 02, 2020, 10:32:42 AM »

Biden's response:

https://www.businessinsider.com/biden-praying-for-health-and-safety-of-trump-covid-19-2020-10

"Jill and I send our thoughts to President Trump and First Lady Melania Trump for a swift recovery. We will continue to pray for the health and safety of the president and his family," Biden said in a Friday morning tweet.

Vice presidential nominee Sen. Kamala Harris also tweeted on Friday that she and her husband Doug Emhoff that she joins the Bidens "in wishing President Trump and the First Lady a full and speedy recovery."
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51933 on: October 02, 2020, 10:36:10 AM »

For Biden's sake,  if he wins,  I hope the Curse of Tippecanoe doesn't kick in.   (for those unfamiliar, worth googling -- native medicine man,  William Henry Harrison,  years divisible by 20)  Lotta aerosols flying from the presidential piehole at the debate.

The Trump folks have no couth or consideration. Honestly, this is a huge gaffe that should be presented broadly.

Neither the Trump campaign nor the White House contacted the Biden campaign to alert them of possible exposure, according to a senior campaign official who was with Biden at the debate.

The official adds that they do not believe they have much risk because "we were never near them."
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #51934 on: October 02, 2020, 10:39:27 AM »

I think Bonnie St. Ronnie broke that curse.

Still, folks were trying to keep the curse alive---and help the POTUS die.

The following Presidents were part of the "curse":

William Henry Harrison (1841) (Pneumonia)
Abraham Lincoln (1861-1865, second term) (Assassinated)
James A. Garfield (1881) (Assassinated)
William McKinley (1897-1901, second term) (Assassinated)
Warren G. Harding (1921-1923) (Pneumonia)
Franklin D. Roosevelt (1933-1945, fourth term) (Brain hemorrhage)
John F. Kennedy (1961-1963) (Assassinated)
The only president who died in office without being elected in a "cursed" year was Zachary Taylor, who was elected in 1848 and died in 1850.

Survivors
The most recent two Presidents elected in a "zero" year survived the "curse":

Ronald Reagan is thought to have broken the curse after he survived an assassination attempt
Ronald Reagan (1981-1989) (Assassination attempt)[3]
George W. Bush (2001-2009) (Assassination attempt)[4]

Source: Wikipedia.

Don't think Biden is in the clear, if he gets elected. There may be some Proud Boy or other enabled-by-the-GOP nutjob waiting to keep the curse alive.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #51935 on: October 02, 2020, 11:01:36 AM »

Should Mr Trump be unable to continue as the Republican nominee, New York University law professor Richard Piles told the Washington Post in May the Republican national committee would assume control.

“This puts the ball in the hands of the ‘national political parties’, which for this purpose means the legal entities known as the Democratic and Republican national committees,” said the professor.

In this situation, an emergency Republican convention would be held where members from each state or territory vote on the new nominee - casting the same number of votes as they are entitled to at an ordinary convention.

In addition to the new nominee, explained Mr Piles, “the parties would now have to replace the name of their dead candidate on each state’s ballot with that of the new candidate.”

Therein lies the problem, with Mr Trump’s coronavirus diagnosis coming less than a month before the election takes place - and with millions of ballots cast in what has already become a contested race to the White House.

As Rick Hasen, a law professor at the University of California, wrote on that outcome, “what’s most likely [is] that the election would take place on time with the deceased or incapacitated candidate’s name on the ballot,”

“Then there would be a question if [state] legislatures would allow presidential electors of each state to vote for someone other than the deceased candidate,” explained Mr Hasen.

Typically, the Electoral College system would see each state count its popular votes according to state laws, and then designate its presidential electors.

In most states, the candidate with the most votes will receive all of the state’s electors, who pledge to vote for the winner when they meet in December to cast their votes in the Electoral College.

That, argued Mr Piles to the Washington Post, rested on whether the Supreme Court decided “whether it is constitutional for states to ‘bind’ their electors to vote for the candidate who won the popular vote in that state” in the event that the candidate has withdrawn - or died.

And in that case, most state laws “do not specify whether an elector must still vote for a now-dead candidate and, if not, who they must or can vote for instead,” added the New York university professor.

Hello, Pandora's box!!

Link:https://news.yahoo.com/trump-coronavirus-25th-amendment-happens-085144841.html

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51936 on: October 02, 2020, 11:12:15 AM »

I haven't looked at the Republican Party constitution.

The Dems don't reconvene a convention if their candidate is no longer available. Instead, their Executive Committee has the full power of the Party and the Convention between convened conventions and would arrive at its own decision.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

barton

« Reply #51938 on: October 02, 2020, 11:52:58 AM »

It's Karma Week...

https://www.wvpublic.org/energy-environment/2020-09-30/bob-murray-who-fought-against-black-lung-regulations-as-a-coal-operator-has-filed-for-black-lung-benefits

Robert E. Murray, the former CEO and president of the now-bankrupt Murray Energy, has filed an application with the U.S. Department of Labor for black lung benefits. For years, Murray and his company fought against federal mine safety regulations aimed at reducing the debilitating disease.

“I founded the company and created 8,000 jobs there until the move to end coal use. I am still chairman of the board,” he wrote on a Labor Department form that initiated his claim obtained by the Ohio Valley ReSource. “We’re in bankruptcy, and due to my health could not handle the president and CEO job any longer.” 

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #51939 on: October 02, 2020, 12:00:48 PM »

The Dems don't reconvene a convention if their candidate is no longer available. Instead, their Executive Committee has the full power of the Party and the Convention between convened conventions and would arrive at its own decision.

But that's not the troubling issue. It's all about the Electoral College.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51940 on: October 02, 2020, 12:08:01 PM »

My post had nothing to do with "the troubling issue."

However, the EC is one thing --> SCOTUS is another, tied to both the EC issue and the next one --> If the EC cannot decide the election, it goes to the House for a state by state vote, one cast per state. If the GOP ties certain ones of those up in court, they could dictate that result, instead.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #51942 on: October 02, 2020, 12:22:06 PM »

My post had nothing to do with "the troubling issue."

However, the EC is one thing --> SCOTUS is another, tied to both the EC issue and the next one --> If the EC cannot decide the election, it goes to the House for a state by state vote, one cast per state. If the GOP ties certain ones of those up in court, they could dictate that result, instead.

Maybe you should read the article I posted, again.

From that piece: Supreme Court has - as recently as this summer - ruled against three so-called “faithless electors” to the Electoral College who argued they could vote for any candidate following the 2016 race.

“Three Washington electors, Peter Chiafalo, Levi Guerra, and Esther John (the Electors), violated their pledges to support Hillary Clinton in the 2016 presidential election,” having refused to support the candidate - against precedent.

So, in any situation where either the Republican nominee, Mr Trump, or his Democratic opponent, Mr Biden, withdraw or become ill between now and December, there is at least some legal precedent as to what happens with the election outcome.

So, if Ms. Originalist gets on the SCOTUS, she won't be looking at precedent. The Dems should be hard at work examining her work on Bush v Gore.  AS found here: https://jacobinmag.com/2020/09/amy-coney-barrett-bush-gore-election-trump

On Friday, multiple news outlets reported that Trump intends to nominate Amy Coney Barrett, who would be the third justice on the court to have worked for Republicans directly on the Bush v. Gore case that overthrew the 2000 election. She would be the second installed on the court by Trump.

Three years ago, Barrett told the Senate Judiciary Committee that “one significant case on which I provided research and briefing assistance was Bush v. Gore.” She said she worked on the case for the law firm Baker Botts while it was in Florida courts. She declined to detail the scope of her work on the case and for other clients at the firm, saying: “I no longer have records of the matters upon which I worked.”

If Barrett is confirmed, she will join two other lawyers from the Republican team that worked on the case that handed the GOP the presidency in 2000.

Chief Justice John Roberts counseled then Florida governor Jeb Bush during that election, according to emails. The Los Angeles Times reported that Roberts “traveled to Tallahassee, the state capital, to dispense legal advice” and “operated in the shadows at least some of those 37 days” that decided the election. Roberts has a long record of working to limit voting rights.

It is a similar story for Justice Brett Kavanaugh. The Miami Herald reported that during the Florida standoff, “Kavanaugh joined Bush’s legal team, which was trying to stop the ballot recount in the state.” Kavanaugh appeared on national television to push for the ruling that halted the statewide recount and handed Bush the presidency.

This is what needs to be attacked during the confirmation hearings, hearings that should be delayed as long as possible, IMO.

Better find those records on Barrett.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2020, 12:23:43 PM by UNO »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #51943 on: October 02, 2020, 12:23:29 PM »

270toWin - Biden up 9.6 now.

Biden   Trump
Poll Averages*   51.6%   42.0%   -
   Global Strategy Group   10/02/2020   1,002 RV ±3.1%   53%   43%   4%
   Ipsos/Reuters   10/01/2020   882 LV ±3.8%   50%   41%   9%
   CNBC/Change Research   10/01/2020   925 LV ±3.2%   54%   41%   5%
   Economist/YouGov   9/30/2020   1,350 LV ±3.8%   50%   42%   8%
   Rasmussen Reports   9/30/2020   3,000 LV ±2%   51%   43%   6%

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #51944 on: October 02, 2020, 12:51:22 PM »

Let's go!!!
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 3461 3462 [3463] 3464 3465 ... 4288