Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3673 3674 [3675] 3676 3677 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2005206 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #55110 on: October 29, 2020, 05:55:20 PM »

Test balloon for Barton -

what type of ban would you give Larry for his statement that is currently at issue here?

None.

Because the statement was not prejudiced and do I have a surprise for you motherfuckers.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #55111 on: October 29, 2020, 05:56:07 PM »

what type of ban would you give Larry for his statement that is currently at issue here?

That test balloon has no air. A poor choice of words is different than a deliberate choice of words.

It has a  different set of consequences.

Then again, you don't seem to do nuance.

However, it WAS a deliberate choice of words.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

oilcan

« Reply #55112 on: October 29, 2020, 05:56:26 PM »

Using Covid to disenfranchise voters?

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/29/928315049/polling-places-are-closing-due-to-covid-19-it-could-tip-races-in-1-swing-state

Could be.
Yes.
The worry is down ballot races in Iowa,  where stifling even a couple thousand votes in blue/minority precincts will make a difference.   In the POTUS race,  it only has six electoral votes,  so not as much concern.   They need a full court press on early voting now, though, for the sake of down ballot races.   This is all still the ugly hand of Shelby v Holder.   Before the 2013 decision,  the feds could have maintained stricter requirements for adequate polling locations, where it would impact specific classes of voters.   

I think Iowa would not have been covered by that element of the VRA, even before Shelby v. Holder.

VRA could kick in,  given large concentrations of minorities in Davenport,  Waterloo,  and Des Moines,  who would be experiencing reduced access compared to white neighborhoods -- if Shelby is tossed out.   I don't think anyone took a hard look at differential access there when coverage was being determined.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #55113 on: October 29, 2020, 05:58:35 PM »

Too funny for words!!

Tucker Carlson's secret stash of Hunter Biden documents vanished!!

https://youtu.be/pocKKnupBBQ

lo and behold, they’ve been found!

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #55114 on: October 29, 2020, 06:02:25 PM »

(Really, I'm just curious who is friends with both Kushner and the guy who wrote "F*** Tha Police," but I digress.)

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/28/opinions/kushner-should-get-an-emmy-williams/index.html

Elliott Williams is a racist.

Kushner is a shit head who knows nothing about anything.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/hes-a-f-ing-idiot-wh-insiders-accuse-moron-kushner-of-sabotaging-trump-agenda

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55115 on: October 29, 2020, 06:02:42 PM »

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/amp/ncna1245387

Where do conspiracies come from, anyway?!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #55116 on: October 29, 2020, 06:04:04 PM »

I think others made the point about original use versus later morphings.  Larry was using hyperbole in calling government shirking of pandemic control a "final solution."  That term's resonance with Hitler's program to exterminate Jewish people is unfortunate, and that's where the hyperbole comes in.  I don't think he meant it as a straight analogy.  He, and several other members, use punchy language, often to express frustration with the government.  Hardly a bannable offense.   

And, more to your point, you all responded to his choice of words with other words, and felt free to do so.  That's the real heart and soul of a political chat thread, isn't it?  If we don't know how other people feel, because they're afraid to speak unguardedly, then how do we get to know them and know where their worldview is coming from?

Actually I meant exactly that.

What policies of this Administration tells you they wouldn’t use this pandemic in such a dastardly way?

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55117 on: October 29, 2020, 06:04:23 PM »

Larry, the same applies to the problems Steven Miller is having with not being white.

And Jay Sekulow and Jared Kushner.

These motherfuckers see this pandemic as a final solution of sorts.

Poor choice of words, Larry. Reflects the prejudice towards Jews that is found so often in the black community.

It wasn’t a poor choice of words. It was a deliberate statement.

Thanks for confirming your status.  Now we know .
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #55118 on: October 29, 2020, 06:07:38 PM »

I think others made the point about original use versus later morphings.  Larry was using hyperbole in calling government shirking of pandemic control a "final solution."  That term's resonance with Hitler's program to exterminate Jewish people is unfortunate, and that's where the hyperbole comes in.  I don't think he meant it as a straight analogy.  He, and several other members, use punchy language, often to express frustration with the government.  Hardly a bannable offense.   

And, more to your point, you all responded to his choice of words with other words, and felt free to do so.  That's the real heart and soul of a political chat thread, isn't it?  If we don't know how other people feel, because they're afraid to speak unguardedly, then how do we get to know them and know where their worldview is coming from?

Woodward has assembled a mountain of evidence that the trump treason cabal, once they understood Covid, decided to use it as a biological weapon against blue states to kill off the old, poor, brown, sane, and other anti-trump segments of the population. It was a deliberate policy to change the demographics through disinformation and denial of medical supplies in the face of the pandemic.

It was a final solution by children too lazy and inept to build trains or ovens. Trump’s Covid policy is driven by the same intent as the German version. Give trump another term and he might reach a result on the same scale.

Exactly.

Look at the forced separations of families at the border. This is an Administration capable of great evil and it’s pandemc response is an indicator of their villainy.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #55119 on: October 29, 2020, 06:09:15 PM »

Here's what will happen if you elect Sleepy Barton:

Trolling like you've never seen.
Posts  that get quoted that get quote that get quoted.  Quotes like you wouldn't believe.
Personal attacks!
Have you seen the Knicks forum?  It's a shame what has happened in there.  It's sad.
Trolls from other forums will ruin the Trump Administration.  You should love me.  Would you please love me?

Spit take!

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #55120 on: October 29, 2020, 06:12:13 PM »

http://m.dailykos.com/stories/2020/10/29/1990646/-The-war-on-masks-is-all-about-feeding-the-delusion-of-herd-immunity

It may be delusional but By the time the majority reaches ‘herd immunity’ how many millions will have dies and who will bear the brunt of those deaths?

Still think my choice of words was pure hyperbole?

Lyndon Johnson

barton

« Reply #55121 on: October 29, 2020, 06:15:30 PM »

Larry,  I can't prove you're wrong.  Does that mean I think shirking sensible pandemic procedures is a deliberate plot to cull Democrats from the populace?   I'm not buying into the Zyklon B theory yet.   I'm inclined to think it's more about boosting infection rates in blue strongholds to make Democratic officials look inept and to induce more panic about voting.   It's still awful,  but not gas chamber awful.   

That said,  if your analogy to the Final Solution was borne out by some leak of documents,  I'd be heating up the tar and plucking the chickens for Stephen Miller and his rat siblings.   But am not there yet.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #55122 on: October 29, 2020, 06:17:05 PM »

Kushner is a shit head who knows nothing about anything.

Trump loses in '16 without Kushner

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #55123 on: October 29, 2020, 06:21:12 PM »

Using Covid to disenfranchise voters?

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/29/928315049/polling-places-are-closing-due-to-covid-19-it-could-tip-races-in-1-swing-state

Could be.
Yes.
The worry is down ballot races in Iowa,  where stifling even a couple thousand votes in blue/minority precincts will make a difference.   In the POTUS race,  it only has six electoral votes,  so not as much concern.   They need a full court press on early voting now, though, for the sake of down ballot races.   This is all still the ugly hand of Shelby v Holder.   Before the 2013 decision,  the feds could have maintained stricter requirements for adequate polling locations, where it would impact specific classes of voters.   

In this instance REDSTATEWARD was correct.

Voter suppression tactics polled very well because of the framing of protections no the integrity of the vote by requiring ‘common sense’ items such as PhotoID requirements as in, “You need a photo ID to fly or... “ as if folks who’ve never been on the Metro are suddenly going to be air travelers..

Now the GOP is fucking with everyone’s vote.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #55124 on: October 29, 2020, 06:23:58 PM »

I don't know if knicks use was intentionally prejudicial, but I agree with Utley that it was a poor choice of words.

IMO "final solution" is a pretty loaded term, with its understanding generally known.

While Trump's fascination and flirting (or heavy dating) with fascism, and that he is admires authoritarian dictators, blurs the distinction between the 30's Nazi's and authoritarianism, I think equating the Nazi's long-term meticulous plan and goal for the extermination of European Jews and other peoples seen as less than human, with the Trump administration's inept response to a virus is wrong as it diminshes the pure evil of Hitler by comapring it to the greed, corruption and stupidity of Trump.

It was a deliberate choice as was the choice the Administration made in its response to the pandemic.

It was a crisis until it became clear WHO was dying in the greatest numbers. Black, brown, elderly and otherwise infirm.

Knicks

If your words were deliberate, as you say the were, and you understood the meaning and context of "final solution", which you do not deny, you then  knowingly equated the Nazi's long term goal to, and carefully crafted plan to exterminate of millions of European Jews and other sub-humans, with Trump's inept approach to contain a deadly virus.

You should know better. And you probably do.

But prejudice is also a tough virus to get rid of.

And that virus infects people of all races, colors and religions, but unlike you, covid does not discriminate.

I take it back, for an ignorant hateful anti-semitc bigot your words were well chosen.

Sadly, as you've proven knicks, prejudice is more contagious than covid, infects for a lifetime, and can be far more deadly.
Pages: 1 ... 3673 3674 [3675] 3676 3677 ... 4288