Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3703 3704 [3705] 3706 3707 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1882290 times)

bankshot1

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #55560 on: November 02, 2020, 05:31:14 PM »

Texas

If Texas voters adhere to their party affiliations, the early voting there could indicate that President Trump is on track to meet or exceed his 9 point win over Hillary Clinton in 2016, meaning the polls are understating support for Trump by an average of about 7%. If that does end up being the case, it could mean two things: political polling has gotten worse since 2016; and Texas isn’t turning blue anytime soon.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/chuckdevore/2020/10/29/trump-by-a-landslide-in-texas-early-voting-numbers-are-diverging-strongly-from-the-polls/?sh=44f5a1981fca

kid-you're Elba's crack Repub strategist, in comping Texas 2016 and 2020, and Clinton's populariy in 2016 with that of Biden today, do you think it reasonable to believe Trump will meet or exceed his 2016 Texas results in 2020? 

Do you know of any reason or see any indication, or anecdotal event, that might lead voters this year to not vote their party affiliation?

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55561 on: November 02, 2020, 05:49:54 PM »

Found another cousin of Larry. He lost his job, but like Larry a great student of history: https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=uh3_news_vert_gs&p=how+not+to+reference+the+holocaust#id=2&vid=949bfbfdf208056325bb1f337b9d8f50&action=click

Of course, Josh won't ban Larry, though Larry is on record saying he did it deliberately and willfully.  Larry keeps his job at this media outlet.

What's the matter, Josh? If kid or red did that, willfully and deliberately misused the Holocaust to demonize a political opponent, you'd be thinking of banning them, if not having done so, already.

Maybe you don't have the stones to do what's right?

People have been suspended here for far less egregious commentary.

Bitch, please.

I almost feel as is I should pay rent for the space I’m occupying in your head.

Fuck off, bigot.

Weren’t we supposed to watch who we told to fuck off?

I’m so confused... heh

You are seriously confused, and by many things.

You must be a Christian.

Sure am.

My family used to live in an intentional Christian community.

One of the best decisions I’ve ever made.

"I also know that if today I refuse to hate Jews, or anybody else, it is because I know how it feels to be hated. I learned this from Christians, and I ceased to practice what the Christians practiced.

The crisis taking place in the world, and in the minds and hearts of black men everywhere, is not produced by the star of David, but by the old, rugged Roman cross on which Christendom's most celebrated Jew was murdered. And not by Jews."

--James Baldwin

Guess you better rethink your decision, Lawrence.

Heh

James Baldwin was raised in the church and was a youth minister.

He was also a gay black teen and nowhere will you find more gay people AND homophobia than the black church,

So, what're you doing about such abject bigotry within your community, Lawrence? Youre snti-Demetic, you claim to be a "Christian", yet seem perversely proud of the bigotry within the black church towards LBGTQ.Many of us it here fighting it in our neighborhoods. We can't do all the heavy lifting.

Or is that what you really want? To just keep in keeping on.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #55562 on: November 02, 2020, 05:54:33 PM »

Do you know of any reason or see any indication, or anecdotal event, that might lead voters this year to not vote their party affiliation?

I think there are quite a few crossover voters this year - going both ways

I also think Trump wins Texas by at least the combined 400K votes he beat Clinton, Stein and Johnson by, when you combine their totals.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55563 on: November 02, 2020, 05:55:42 PM »

I also think Trump wins Texas by at least the combined 400K votes he beat Clinton, Stein and Johnson by, when you combine their totals.

And you "think" this because?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #55564 on: November 02, 2020, 06:01:00 PM »

I expect there will be some husbands sleeping on couches for a while, if they try to follow the advice in that "brothers..." tweet. 

And yes, there are "mixed marriages," ideologically.  I've known several, and I know they aren't all that rare.  Usually, there are enough agreements on basic principles that the disagreements can survive as humorous banter or at least mutual deference.

It's hard for me to believe.  I know a couple who grew up in New Jersey. I worked with the guy, he's a democrat.  They got married, moved to rural PA. She got into guns.  Now they're voting Trump.  I know it's not the husband's idea, but he has to at least agree with his wife.

Oh no he doesn't...that's the first step in becoming a doormat.

Happy wife happy life.

Going with the dingophile on this one.   Doormattery is a poor solution to marital disagreements.   And breeds dishonesty and loss of respect.   Couples do not have to agree,  and can learn to disagree without rancor.   Most marriages like that (mine's a little bit that way,  on some Catholic issues),  there's a deep empathy and sharing of values underneath the surface differences.   That said,  it's not like you'd see a Susan Sontag married to a Pat Buchanan.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #55565 on: November 02, 2020, 06:03:46 PM »

And you "think" this because?

Scroll back

Then add this

https://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2020/president/tx/texas_trump_vs_biden-6818.html#polls

barton

« Reply #55566 on: November 02, 2020, 06:03:56 PM »

Crazy how some at MSNBC insist on reporting only the polling that has Biden way ahead.

They should know there is a faction that will not vote if they think the election in their state is won.

A "faction"?  A teensy weensy faction in 2020, is my guess.   I don't there are too many complacent voters this year.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55567 on: November 02, 2020, 06:05:50 PM »

They are putting an unscalable fence around the famous superfund site on Pennsylvania Avenue in Washington D.C. that’s just about to be put under new management.

"unscalable"

Mexico is paying for it.

US taxpayers are

Thanks, AntiFa

US taxpayers paid for the other one, too.

And the same person is responsible for both: Donald J. Trump.

He wants to blame Antifa and so do you, but it is him, nobody else.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55568 on: November 02, 2020, 06:07:38 PM »

A federal judge rejected a bid by Republican activists to invalidate 127,000 votes in the most populous county in Texas.

“For lack of a nicer way of saying it, I ain’t buying it,” U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen said at a hearing Monday in Houston, rejecting the request by Republican activists because of lack of standing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-02/judge-expresses-skepticism-on-bid-to-invalidate-texas-votes

I loved it.

"When you balance the harms you've got to weigh in favor of that - in counting the votes," Judge Andrew Hanen ruled after a nearly three hour hearing. The judge noted that people have been voting using the drive-thru tents since mid-October and the petition to invalidate those votes was filed only late last week.

Hanen, an appointee of President George W. Bush, rejected the Republicans' arguments on a technical matter, but also said he would have ruled against them since the lawsuit was filed well after thousands of people had voted.

Hanen is known as a very conservative judge.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #55569 on: November 02, 2020, 06:07:45 PM »

Are any of you voting in person tomorrow?

Please report back your experience.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55570 on: November 02, 2020, 06:09:19 PM »

Crazy how some at MSNBC insist on reporting only the polling that has Biden way ahead.

Yeah, who would only report the stuff that goes with their own sentiments, while ignoring the rest?!

Weird, right?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #55571 on: November 02, 2020, 06:10:17 PM »

Hanen is known as a very conservative judge.

Your concern should be with the next step - though of course the 177K votes won't matter anyway.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55572 on: November 02, 2020, 06:11:19 PM »

A federal judge rejected a bid by Republican activists to invalidate 127,000 votes in the most populous county in Texas.

“For lack of a nicer way of saying it, I ain’t buying it,” U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen said at a hearing Monday in Houston, rejecting the request by Republican activists because of lack of standing.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2020-11-02/judge-expresses-skepticism-on-bid-to-invalidate-texas-votes

Won't matter.

So you said, yesterday, about the same issue in the same state, but at the state's Supreme Court level.

And I am encouraged that you think the Dems will win Texas by more than the number of votes they would have gained from those 127k.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #55573 on: November 02, 2020, 06:16:38 PM »

Pay better attention

barton

« Reply #55574 on: November 02, 2020, 06:18:07 PM »

Judge Hanen is a George H.W. Bush appointee.

And reportedly a staunch conservative.  One who upholds the law and the constitution. 

U.S. District Judge Andrew Hanen said the plaintiffs lacked standing to bring the case. “I find that when you balance the harms you’ve got to weigh in favor of counting the votes,” he added.

The judge also faulted the plaintiffs for waiting until Oct. 28 to file their case in his court even though drive-through voting was used without challenge in July primary runoffs.

“Didn’t we test this in the primaries this summer?,” Hanen said during a three-hour hearing, adding: “Why am I just getting this case?”

The fundamentals of democracy aren't blue or red.   More like that burgundy shade you find on hardbound law books.   
Pages: 1 ... 3703 3704 [3705] 3706 3707 ... 4288