Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3761 3762 [3763] 3764 3765 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1874956 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #56430 on: November 09, 2020, 12:56:12 PM »

I guess you don't read what you [josh] post. What you posted for 2020 isn't accurate. And I think you may underestimate the relationship between McConnell and Biden. Mitch was the only GOP congressman to attend Beau's funeral. JOe and he have worked out deals before. You seem to be entrenched in the very thing you accuse of others---severe partisanship.

I have no problem with an optimistic assessment of Joe and Mitch's past working relationship, but I also remember those were less divisive times, too, so DK what will happen.  Will Joe get "Garlanded" at every turn?  Will Senators like Mitt and Lisa be willing to cross lines to support a good bill in the Senate, if there's only a majority margin of 2?  No crystal ball here.  But I do know that Joe is less likely to get people's backs up, and more likely to get a GOP hand to reach across the aisle now and then.  And voters will definitely be sending signals in 2022 on how obstructive partisanship is sitting with them, if there's a lot of it.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56431 on: November 09, 2020, 12:57:37 PM »

And I would love to be wrong about Mitch McConnell!

If you are saying the Senate will block every Biden appointment, then YES, you will be "loving being wrong".  (cue Josh prancing around in a meadow singing "I'm wrong, I'm wrong')

heh

Since I didn't say that, you will be spared that vision.

Troll.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56432 on: November 09, 2020, 12:58:58 PM »

Joe handling of Pelosi - if she doesnt retire - will be something to watch as well.

Work WITHIN your aisle before you cross.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56433 on: November 09, 2020, 01:01:29 PM »

"I expect that Biden is going to have a hard time getting appointments through for these next two years."

Kid or Ham, are you disagreeing with that?
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56434 on: November 09, 2020, 01:06:04 PM »

No

The appointments will be scrutinized.  This is how it works

But there will be appointments that sail through

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #56435 on: November 09, 2020, 01:06:36 PM »

You'd think at some point Trump would have realized that everything Rudy touches turns to merde and that Rudy never actually checks his sources or investigates anything.

Rudy helped get Trump impeached with his shady Ukraine doings.  That might have been the first clue Rudy was off the rails and a liability.  Rudy's long since moved into farce, as when he claimed there's only a 50/50 chance one of his key sources on the Biden laptop was a Russian agent, and it didn't matter if the whole thing was a Russian plant.  Helping all of that go nowhere.

In a similar vein, kiid seems to be becoming increasingly incoherent here.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56436 on: November 09, 2020, 01:07:01 PM »

But I do know that Joe is less likely to get people's backs up

Than Obama, before his first day in the White House?

Than Hillary, before her husband got elected?

Their backs are already up and their hackles raised. Can they lower their own tension, because I don't think and offers in compromise are going to be seen as other than weakness.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56437 on: November 09, 2020, 01:08:10 PM »

Pennsylvania vote update -

Biden lead stands at about 45K - which is roughly .7%

It would need to be .5% or lower to force a 3rd state recount.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56438 on: November 09, 2020, 01:17:04 PM »

I wish for Dr. Ben Carson a speedy recovery from COVID-19, with no long term effects. I also hope that he has managed to keep his family and friends safe since his infection, likely gained at the Trump election night gathering, whether others already infected were present without masks.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56439 on: November 09, 2020, 01:18:09 PM »

Pennsylvania vote update -

Biden lead stands at about 45K - which is roughly .7%

It would need to be .5% or lower to force a 3rd state recount.

He'll need to expand his lead to somewhere north of 48 or 49k to beat the margin that Trump won PA by, even though his total votes are already higher.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56440 on: November 09, 2020, 01:22:54 PM »

And further best wishes to former Sec'y Esher, who will be able to avoid COVID-19 much more easily, now.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #56441 on: November 09, 2020, 01:24:15 PM »

They lost!

Not by much...and will not be going anywhere.
A week is a long time in politics...let alone 4 years.
Who knows, they might find a candidate worthy of the Office...and if Biden and Co go "crazy left',  anything could happen 2024.

barton

« Reply #56442 on: November 09, 2020, 01:30:17 PM »

But I do know that Joe is less likely to get people's backs up

Than Obama, before his first day in the White House?

Than Hillary, before her husband got elected?

Their backs are already up and their hackles raised. Can they lower their own tension, because I don't think and offers in compromise are going to be seen as other than weakness.

I don't have any metrics for measuring hackles or posturing at this point, nor does anyone else.  I was expressing a feeling that Joe is perceived, based on his long career, as more a moderate and bipartisan.  The Senate, even if it remains Republican, will have a few more members who barely squeaked through and have a nudge more in the direction of moderateness.  Voters can take zero-sum gamesmanship only for so long when it gridlocks vital legislation. 

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #56443 on: November 09, 2020, 01:31:52 PM »

The reason the GOP is clutching tightly to the Electoral College, even as they look at shifting demographics, is that they have had the majority of the popular vote a grand total of once in the last 8 elections.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56444 on: November 09, 2020, 01:35:31 PM »

And further best wishes to former Sec'y Esher, who will be able to avoid COVID-19 much more easily, now.

Book deal.
Pages: 1 ... 3761 3762 [3763] 3764 3765 ... 4288