Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3994 3995 [3996] 3997 3998 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1994343 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #59925 on: December 12, 2020, 09:54:13 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/09/us/connecticut-high-schools-black-latino-studies-trnd/index.html

Connecticut is the first state to require high schools to offer Black and Hispanic studies.

Great. They can study how the Spain and Portugal built the African slave trade, and forced religion, language, and culture on indigenous people whom they also enslaved; well, the indigenous people who survived the diseases that they brought with them.

Should go well.

Why wouldn’t it?

YOU know why.

You are insinuating teaching history warts and all will be problematic.

You should back up that insinuation.

“Support your assertions. Don't be like Red or Larry.”

Yeah, right.

Go fuck yourself

I suppose you think you just made an argument.

Delusional Larry fails to grasp the looniest of the left.

All we need to do is look at Burbank, CA schools and their recent banning books like "The Cay" and "Of Mice and Men" and "Huckleberry Finn" to see why things will not go well.

No books were “banned” they’re no longer ‘required reading.’

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #59926 on: December 12, 2020, 09:59:51 AM »

Part of the polarization? Dems are for opening the borders and against coal miners and vets. Pubs are for vets, blue collars, and protecting the borderland and big capital. Strangely all are for opening schools now, in the middle of the pandemic. Why not wait for the vaccines to take affect? Crazy Donald is gone except in his mind, time to move on. Yes it is now ok to be objectively critical of some of the moves of the president elect. Easy to forget after the past four, but this is a democracy.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59927 on: December 12, 2020, 10:26:48 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/09/us/connecticut-high-schools-black-latino-studies-trnd/index.html

Connecticut is the first state to require high schools to offer Black and Hispanic studies.

Great. They can study how the Spain and Portugal built the African slave trade, and forced religion, language, and culture on indigenous people whom they also enslaved; well, the indigenous people who survived the diseases that they brought with them.

Should go well.

Why wouldn’t it?

YOU know why.

Yeah, right.

Go fuck yourself

All we need to do is look at Burbank, CA schools and their recent banning books like "The Cay" and "Of Mice and Men" and "Huckleberry Finn" to see why things will not go well.

And the decision was the Superintendent's.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59928 on: December 12, 2020, 10:27:51 AM »

Part of the polarization? Dems are for opening the borders and against coal miners and vets. Pubs are for vets, blue collars, and protecting the borderland and big capital. Strangely all are for opening schools now, in the middle of the pandemic. Why not wait for the vaccines to take affect? Crazy Donald is gone except in his mind, time to move on. Yes it is now ok to be objectively critical of some of the moves of the president elect. Easy to forget after the past four, but this is a democracy.

Just keep lying, Luee, and you can help pave the way for the next Trump.

You should be so proud.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Oilcan

• View Profile
« Reply #59929 on: December 12, 2020, 11:12:57 AM »

Dems,  Luee?   Against coal?   You mean the failing industry that's now more costly to build/repair infrastructure, leading Dems and rational Repubs to back other bridge fuels and promote new jobs in green energy networks?   The Dems are the ones who care about what happens to coal workers when the last coal plant is decommissioned.   
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

barton

« Reply #59930 on: December 12, 2020, 11:28:42 AM »

Luee has posted some sharp commentary here.   I believe he will figure that out.  Even moderate Republicans (moving quietly under the shadow of Trump) in some states have been trying to promote the weaning off coal.   

barton

« Reply #59931 on: December 12, 2020, 11:33:45 AM »

I enjoyed the comments by CNN analyst Daniel Dale who said “I don’t normally have to fact check legal briefs.”

Here are seven of the more egregious falsehoods noted by Daniel Dale that were included in the amicus looniae filings:

i. CLAIM —> “No candidate in history - Republican or Democrat - has ever lost an election after winning both states (Florida and Ohio)”
This is false. Richard Nixon won both Florida and Ohio in the 1960 presidential election and still lost to JFK. In any event who cares ? It has only anecdotal relevance, and is of no evidential significance.

ii. CLAIM —> “In Wisconsin the largest cities all deployed hundreds of unmanned, unnsecured absentee ballot drop boxes that were all invalid means of returning absentee votes under state law”
Untrue. The drop boxes in question were bolted to the ground, tamper-proof, secured at all times. And they were also monitored with CCTV video surveillance by officials 24 hours a day.

iii. CLAIM —> “The policies of of Georgia, Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania created a greater prospect of fraud. As an example, “leaving ballot boxes in public parking lots invites fraud”
This is without any foundation. Secure drop boxes have been used in these states for many years without the slightest difficulty, or any evidence of enhanced levels of electoral fraud.

iv. CLAIM —> “The prohibition of local independent observers at polling stations in Byelorussia was a factor demonstrating that the election there was not free and fair”
This statement by secretary of State Mike Pompeo might be of interest to a historian documenting the electoral history of Eastern Europe, but unless Byelorussia somehow became the 51st state of the union, it has no earthly relevance to the conduct of the 2020 US presidential election. Not one of the numerous claims by Trump supporters alleging that GOP observers were banned from polling stations was upheld in court. In fact the exact opposite happened. Time and time again Trump lawyers once they were in standing in front of a judge reversed all the claims they had earlier made in front of the press cameras, and meekly conceded that GOP observers had been present after all.

v. CLAIM —> “Pennsylvania’s Secretary of State issued guidance purporting to suspend signature verification requirements. In direct violation of the law”.
False - The Pennsylvania Supreme Court had prevously ruled 7-0 that nothing in state law required the signature verification procedures suggested.

vi. CLAIM —> “In Michigan the Secretary of State illegally flooded the state with absentee ballots applications mailed to every registered voter, despite the fact that state law strictly limits the ballot application process”.
Absentee ballot forms are freely available online in Michigan for anyone to download.

vii CLAIM —> “Trump won 18 of the 19 so-called ‘bellwether counties - counties whose vote almost always goes for the candidate who won the election”.
This happens to be true. But so what ? Demographics change. A state that was a trend marker in 1880 may not be one in 1980, and one that was a bellwether between 1980 and 2000 may not be so 2020. From an evidential point of view this is simpy nugatory.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59932 on: December 12, 2020, 11:49:42 AM »

Should go well.

Why wouldn’t it?

YOU know why.

Yeah, right.

Go fuck yourself

Because they educate people on the realities of the past. Rewriting the past by eliminated anyone's voice from it is not education. It's inculcation.

The methods employed in the Cultural Revolution in China should not get a foothold here.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59933 on: December 12, 2020, 11:51:53 AM »

Perhaps a day or two before Dale's piece, Chris Cuomo tweeted, wondering "Will the SCOTUS nine nuthin' negation of the nugatory nonsense from Trump about the election be enough?" regarding a prior decision.

"Nugatory" is not that commonly used, though I know Dale used it earlier in the year.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #59934 on: December 12, 2020, 11:55:58 AM »

From an evidential point of view this is simpy nugatory

I like words, and have a decent vocabulary, but the above bolded word stopped me. I got the sense of the meaning from the sentence, but nugatory was a word not residing in my neighborhood. I might have used trivial or inconsequential or more likely fucking irrelevant, but I can understand while Dale did not.

Welcome nugatory.

although to be honest, I'm kind of partial to fucking irrelevant.

As an aside, while nuggets are generally though of as having value, it seems nugats do not. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #59935 on: December 12, 2020, 12:08:33 PM »

Should go well.

Why wouldn’t it?

YOU know why.

Yeah, right.

Go fuck yourself

Because they educate people on the realities of the past. Rewriting the past by eliminated anyone's voice from it is not education. It's inculcation.

The methods employed in the Cultural Revolution in China should not get a foothold here.

We might do well to educate people on the realities of the present.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59937 on: December 12, 2020, 01:17:43 PM »

https://twitter.com/ARandomly2020/status/1337617028069396481?s=20

Randomly non-randomly explicitly misrepresents the situation.

Given what Alito and Thomas said, it is clear where the case would have gone. That is to say:
Statement of Justice Alito, with whom Justice Thomas joins:
In my view, we do not have discretion to deny the filing of a
bill of complaint in a case that falls within our original
jurisdiction. See Arizona v. California, 589 U. S. ___
(Feb. 24, 2020) (Thomas, J., dissenting). I would therefore
grant the motion to file the bill of complaint but would not
grant other relief, and I express no view on any other issue.

So, filed the complaint? Sure. But "Motion to expedite filed by plaintiff Texas" would have been declined. IOW, the case would not have been heard prior to Monday's votes, which is defacto denying the case, just in a different way than denying standing before a hearing.

Also... "ARandomly" ignores that all of those issues have been heard and reheard on their so-called merits and consistently been found to lack both legal weight and evidentiary substance, despite your denial of the latter point.

1-55, Kid. It's not a coincidence.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #59938 on: December 12, 2020, 01:24:56 PM »

"Ms." Ellis,  "Ms." Powell, Giuliani and all the other attorneys who brought these "cases" should be sanctioned and disbarred.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59939 on: December 12, 2020, 01:31:31 PM »

"Ms." Ellis,  "Ms." Powell, Giuliani and all the other attorneys who brought these "cases" should be sanctioned and disbarred.

Certainly the first three and any other person filing a brief on The Donald's behalf, as the briefs are full of lies, all by themselves.

I've read too few of the others to be sure they have lied as frequently or as egregiously.
Pages: 1 ... 3994 3995 [3996] 3997 3998 ... 4288