Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4055 4056 [4057] 4058 4059 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1999114 times)

Oilcanary

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #60840 on: December 22, 2020, 03:32:38 PM »

So far as Trump election overthrow rhetoric is concerned,  at this stage it may be time to start channeling Malcolm Tucker.   

Or maybe Kirk Douglas in 7 Days in May.   

Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60841 on: December 22, 2020, 03:34:22 PM »

Ellis said pursuing alleged election fraud should not supersede the Constitution.

"We have to still make sure that even though we see that our country has been undermined by corruption, our solution can't be to undermine the Constitution ourselves," Ellis said.

"We have to go through the process, we have to hold our leaders accountable. And at the end of the day, if we don't get a correction, in this case, we have to fight to make sure that this never happens again."

Well stated.

"we have to fight to make sure that this never happens again."---Except nothing happened. So fighting to make right what is not wrong is a wrongheaded pursuit.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #60842 on: December 22, 2020, 03:47:17 PM »

"we have to fight to make sure that this never happens again."---Except nothing happened. So fighting to make right what is not wrong is a wrongheaded pursuit.

Election rules were altered without state legislature
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #60843 on: December 22, 2020, 03:48:11 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/12/22/politics/alex-padilla-senate-gavin-newsom/index.html

Bueno. Brown people happy. Black folks, Asians, not happy. Women left out. It's so hard to play just the right diversity card in the Hotel California.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #60844 on: December 22, 2020, 03:48:25 PM »

$600 is better than nothing for some.

$0.25 is not.

The stim check should go towards those unemployed or with businesses failing.  I.e. it should be relief,  not stim.  I don't need $600.
But  the family down the street whose kids can’t go to school and the father can’t get work gets $2400, enough to bide him over till  Biden  who , as we all hear, will make us all whole again!

Yes, that part is good.  If you read my post, you might glean this:

I just want the $600 that goes to people like me and the spouse, who actually have MORE disposable income at the moment due to covid restrictions, and wouldn't need it any case, to go to the people who are facing hunger, eviction, longterm work hiatus or loss, family business collapse, medical bills, etc.   
Nothing stopping you from passing it on.  It is tax free.
Charity begins at home.

HENCE THE LINE IN MY ORIGINAL POST ON THE MATTER INDICATING I WAS SENDING THE MONEY TO THE LOCAL FOOD BANK.

THE NUANCE OF MY OPINION, WHICH HAS ESCAPED AT LEAST TWO MEMBERS HERE, IS ASKING:

WHY SEND IT TO ME IN THE FIRST PLACE??  WHY NOT, RATHER, DO SOMETHING LIKE ADD TO RENTAL ASSISTANCE PAYMENTS OR SEND THE MONEY TO STATES THAT ARE BROKE AND HAVE HIGH COSTS OF LIVING SUCH THAT THE RELIEF UNEMPLOYMENT PAYMENTS ARE NOT SUFFICIENT.  OR HELP CITIES THAT MAY HAVE TO SHUT DOWN BASIC SERVICES LIKE MASS TRANSIT LINES?  USE YOU IMAGINATION.  I.  DON'T.  NEED. THE. MONEY.  ALL THESE OTHER PEOPLE DO.

THERE.  CLEAR ENOUGH?
Yelling doesn’t do very much for your caterwauling since the $ 9 billion is already providing for what you are screaming about.
$280B extends the Paycheck Protection Program, which pays small businesses to keep people employed.
$160 is the direct payment of six hundred dollars to each American, with an earnings cap of seventy-five thousand dollars for individuals and a hundred and fifty thousand dollars for two-income families.
$120B will go to extend and expand unemployment benefits, including those that the CARES Act provided to gig workers in March. This time, though, the extra weekly payment is three hundred dollars instead of six hundred.

The rest:
$82B will be directed at efforts to reopen schools;
$45B forty-five billion will go to the stricken transportation sector,
$29B to distributing vaccines
$$29B to  testing and tracing.
$65 B for nutrition, rental assistance, and child care for needy families.

Hope this helps.
In other words, the answer to your question is "No".
There was no question. Just you preening about how wonderful you are.
Like you I do not need the stimulus check.
Speak for yourself. Luckily  Congress has real people struggling through a crisis brought about by 50 different state governments wielding unwise and mixing their power.
It is mistimed
Yes. It should have been done weeks ago but Pelosi stalled using the delay as a political weapon.
The time to stimulate the economy will be in 6 months, maybe, when there is a functioning economy to spend money in. Not now.
Which is why it is time stamped and does not place a burden on the next administration.
Pelosi has already promised a “ next step” from Biden and the next Congress.

If you are going to contribute in a discussion can you at least stay informed?

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #60845 on: December 22, 2020, 03:49:21 PM »

Donald Trump probably fulfilled more promises than any other man to sit in the Oval Office. And in four years, no less.

After his presidency, Trump will also become an unequalled global political and media force.

Trump will be surprised how much influence he has as a former President, without the limitations placed on being the actual President.

My late friend Ed Koch was seriously depressed after leaving New York's mayoralty. He later admitted to me that he became more influential outside of office as a media and political powerhouse.

Trump will do the same, but much more.

John Fund's recent column on Trump's successful presidency quotes David Shribman, a historian at Carnegie Mellon University, who thinks Trump will be "remembered in history as the most consequential president in three-quarters of a century and the most significant one-term president in nearly 175 years."

It's a good judgement for Fred Trump's son, a winner in every sense of the word

Well stated.

kid's cherry-picked unattributed op-ed was written by Christopher Ruddy, CEO of Newmax, and ardent Trump supporter and syncophant.

Morton's doesn't have enough grains of salt to take with Ruddy's puff-piece.

But I would remind kid that being a global media force is not often the goal of former-presidents. They generally do not seek the spotlight nor wANT draw attention away from the President in office. Nor seek to overthrow the legally elected new President. But I digress.

In Ruddy's capacity as Trump syncophant and CEO with a large platform Ruddy could make this a self fulfilling prophesy.

Lastly I would point out that consequential has two sides, good and bad, The Fund op-ed piece which kid (and Ruddy) draw from, is far more mixed on Trump, than one might expect from Fund, another very conservative voice, and currently a columnist for the National Review and Fox contributor. In Fund's piece he all but calls Trump a serial liar, who has redefined "presidential". and I quote,

All presidents bend the truth and can promote an alternate reality. But Trump never transitioned away from the business bombast and hucksterism of his reality show “The Apprentice.

As he noted in his 1987 book “The Art of the Deal”: “I play to people’s fantasies. I call it truthful hyperbole. It’s an innocent form of exaggeration, a very effective form of promotion.”

Whatever it is, it helped redefine what it means to be “presidential.

Yes, Mr Fund, not being able to trust the president, is very consequential.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2020, 03:52:11 PM by bankshot1 »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60846 on: December 22, 2020, 03:56:20 PM »

Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #60847 on: December 22, 2020, 03:57:14 PM »

Election rules were altered without state legislature

State legislatures had plenty of time to fix what they say now is a problem.

They chose not to do so.

You snooze, you lose.

Ces't la vie, Monsieur Blu.

Gerrymandering and aggressive forms of disenfranchising voters of color is a much bigger issue, and the only reason there are members of the GOP in many Congressional seats. Yet, we hear nothing regarding any "Constitutional concerns" that you may have on those issues.

Please, by all means, explain this to me. You're a Jersey guy, and now a Constitutional scholar.

Think this represents the people? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey%27s_7th_congressional_district

Better yet. Take a look at all of those districts. Do they make sense to you?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Jersey%27s_congressional_districts#/media/File:New_Jersey_Congressional_Districts,_113th_Congress.tif

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60848 on: December 22, 2020, 03:59:59 PM »

Crumbs of relief, 6 months late, along with the write offs for three martini lunches for Boss Hogg should really win over Georgia voters to the republican side.

Mitch should have listened to Nancy. Mitch should always have listened to Nancy. Now he’s thrown in with traitors, is losing his powers, and is in danger of being investigated and prosecuted for his role in shenanigans of these last 12 years.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60849 on: December 22, 2020, 04:03:53 PM »

Election rules were altered without state legislature but legally according to state law,.
FIFY.
A parrot bit me.

barton

« Reply #60850 on: December 22, 2020, 04:08:20 PM »

So Ward still doesn't grasp the difference between stimulus and relief.   And when and where to apply each.   That's a relief,  because it means no further comment or further clarification is needed.   

I like to imagine a Kirk Douglas (in Seven Days in May) who talks like Malcolm Tucker.   He suggests Trump put a jaunty bonnet on his coup and ram it up the shitter with a lubricated horse cock.   

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #60851 on: December 22, 2020, 04:14:13 PM »

$600 is better than nothing for some.

$0.25 is not.

The stim check should go towards those unemployed or with businesses failing.  I.e. it should be relief,  not stim.  I don't need $600.
But  the family down the street whose kids can’t go to school and the father can’t get work gets $2400, enough to bide him over till  Biden  who , as we all hear, will make us all whole again!

Yes, that part is good.  If you read my post, you might glean this:

I just want the $600 that goes to people like me and the spouse, who actually have MORE disposable income at the moment due to covid restrictions, and wouldn't need it any case, to go to the people who are facing hunger, eviction, longterm work hiatus or loss, family business collapse, medical bills, etc.   
Nothing stopping you from passing it on.  It is tax free.
Charity begins at home.

HENCE THE LINE IN MY ORIGINAL POST ON THE MATTER INDICATING I WAS SENDING THE MONEY TO THE LOCAL FOOD BANK.

THE NUANCE OF MY OPINION, WHICH HAS ESCAPED AT LEAST TWO MEMBERS HERE, IS ASKING:

WHY SEND IT TO ME IN THE FIRST PLACE??  WHY NOT, RATHER, DO SOMETHING LIKE ADD TO RENTAL ASSISTANCE PAYMENTS OR SEND THE MONEY TO STATES THAT ARE BROKE AND HAVE HIGH COSTS OF LIVING SUCH THAT THE RELIEF UNEMPLOYMENT PAYMENTS ARE NOT SUFFICIENT.  OR HELP CITIES THAT MAY HAVE TO SHUT DOWN BASIC SERVICES LIKE MASS TRANSIT LINES?  USE YOU IMAGINATION.  I.  DON'T.  NEED. THE. MONEY.  ALL THESE OTHER PEOPLE DO.

THERE.  CLEAR ENOUGH?
Yelling doesn’t do very much for your caterwauling since the $ 9 billion is already providing for what you are screaming about.
$280B extends the Paycheck Protection Program, which pays small businesses to keep people employed.
$160 is the direct payment of six hundred dollars to each American, with an earnings cap of seventy-five thousand dollars for individuals and a hundred and fifty thousand dollars for two-income families.
$120B will go to extend and expand unemployment benefits, including those that the CARES Act provided to gig workers in March. This time, though, the extra weekly payment is three hundred dollars instead of six hundred.

The rest:
$82B will be directed at efforts to reopen schools;
$45B forty-five billion will go to the stricken transportation sector,
$29B to distributing vaccines
$$29B to  testing and tracing.
$65 B for nutrition, rental assistance, and child care for needy families.

Hope this helps.
In other words, the answer to your question is "No".
There was no question.
CLEAR.ENOUGH?
Like you I do not need the stimulus check.
Speak for yourself.
Yes, tat is who I was speaking for.
Luckily  Congress has real people struggling through a crisis brought about by 50 different state governments wielding unwise and mixing their power. a pandemic and a Federal response that veered between incompetent and criminally negligent.
It is mistimed
Yes. It should have been done weeks ago but Pelosi McConnell using the delay as a political weapon. [/quote]FIFY
The time to stimulate the economy will be in 6 months, maybe, when there is a functioning economy to spend money in. Not now.
Which is why it is time stamped and does not place a burden on the next administration.
Pelosi has already promised a “ next step” from Biden and the next Congress.

If you are going to contribute in a discussion....
[/quote]While I chose to respond this time, there is no discussion with you.
A parrot bit me.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #60852 on: December 22, 2020, 04:19:24 PM »

Donald Trump probably fulfilled more promises than any other man to sit in the Oval Office. And in four years, no less.

After his presidency, Trump will also become an unequalled global political and media force.

Trump will be surprised how much influence he has as a former President, without the limitations placed on being the actual President.

My late friend Ed Koch was seriously depressed after leaving New York's mayoralty. He later admitted to me that he became more influential outside of office as a media and political powerhouse.

Trump will do the same, but much more.

John Fund's recent column on Trump's successful presidency quotes David Shribman, a historian at Carnegie Mellon University, who thinks Trump will be "remembered in history as the most consequential president in three-quarters of a century and the most significant one-term president in nearly 175 years."

It's a good judgement for Fred Trump's son, a winner in every sense of the word

Well stated.

kid's cherry-picked unattributed op-ed was written by Christopher Ruddy, CEO of Newmax, and ardent Trump supporter and syncophant.

Morton's doesn't have enough grains of salt to take with Ruddy's puff-piece.

But I would remind kid that being a global media force is not often the goal of former-presidents. They generally do not seek the spotlight nor wANT draw attention away from the President in office. Nor seek to overthrow the legally elected new President. But I digress.

In Ruddy's capacity as Trump syncophant and CEO with a large platform Ruddy could make this a self fulfilling prophesy.

Lastly I would point out that consequential has two sides, good and bad, The Fund op-ed piece which kid (and Ruddy) draw from, is far more mixed on Trump, than one might expect from Fund, another very conservative voice, and currently a columnist for the National Review and Fox contributor. In Fund's piece he all but calls Trump a serial liar, who has redefined "presidential". and I quote,

All presidents bend the truth and can promote an alternate reality. But Trump never transitioned away from the business bombast and hucksterism of his reality show “The Apprentice.

As he noted in his 1987 book “The Art of the Deal”: “I play to people’s fantasies. I call it truthful hyperbole. It’s an innocent form of exaggeration, a very effective form of promotion.”

Whatever it is, it helped redefine what it means to be “presidential.

Yes, Mr Fund, not being able to trust the president, is very consequential.

“I play to people’s fantasies. I call it truthful hyperbole. It’s an innocent form of exaggeration, a very effective form...”

— Tony Schwartz
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #60853 on: December 22, 2020, 04:20:18 PM »

Crumbs of relief, 6 months late, along with the write offs for three martini lunches for Boss Hogg should really win over Georgia voters to the republican side.

Mitch should have listened to Nancy. Mitch should always have listened to Nancy. Now he’s thrown in with traitors, is losing his powers, and is in danger of being investigated and prosecuted for his role in shenanigans of these last 12 years.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -
Pages: 1 ... 4055 4056 [4057] 4058 4059 ... 4288