Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1875764 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #1470 on: August 27, 2018, 11:40:25 AM »

Kid, I hear you.

What's missing from your picture of voters too lazy to locate and transport themselves to a polling station is that poverty comes with various burdens on time (most of the poor have to work - shocking, I know), childcare responsibilities, language barriers (in some cases) and deficits of transportation that may thwart the best of intentions.  As a practical matter, one role of government is to improve access, without partisan influence. 

You wouldn't probably question this role of improving access in other areas of life.  Would you tell your public library, "Hey, no need to bother with a handicapped ramp or elevators up to the stacks!  If the disabled really want books or other information services, I'm sure they will find a way!"   We don't sit around and make an issue of whether libraries are "meaningful" to the handicapped.  The fact is, if our society values something, we come together and try to make it accessible to everyone.  That's kind of the point of civilization.

You give kiodcarter8’s post respect it doesn’t deserve.

He posts statistical evidence of systemic repression of minority voters then says it’s all the fault of minorities if they vote less than whites.

You make it harder for people to vote, fewer people will. It’s the same for everyone; black white and Hispanic. Just, strangely, no one is proposing changes to voting laws and polling places that make it harder for whites to vote!

Anyone who doesn’t get the imbalance there is determined not to get the imbalance. And so not worth the time.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

oilcan

« Reply #1471 on: August 27, 2018, 11:48:06 AM »

“Me and you, we got something in common. We both, how you say, ‘ladykillers,’” Baron Cohen’s character tells Simpson at one point, prompting Simpson to reply “No, I didn’t kill nobody,” while laughing.
(from The Guardian today)

I will point out that Simpson employs a double negative, which means that, technically at least, he just confessed. 

Bart....

I agree with Needs.  Kid just made, basically, the "lazy niggahs" argument.  He's beyond reasoning with.  Your "David Duke" comment to him yesterday was far more spot on. 

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: August 27, 2018, 11:58:52 AM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: August 27, 2018, 12:01:34 PM »

I would not count on Red to read that eye opening article and respond to its factual content.  He's never going to admit that his party is responsible for its own cheating.  It's the Democrats fault.  When the opposing team calls you on your cheating, just point to the scoreboard and say,  hey,  just stop us from winning.  They might as well be serial killers,  sending notes with cut out letters to the police saying "stop me before I cheat again! "

Black turnout for the 2016 presidential election declined about 7.5%, nationally, from 2012.
In Wisconsin it was 7.5%.
The overall black turnout in 2016 was about the same as it was in 2004.
Barack Obama was responsible for a surge in black Voting in 2008 and 2012.
Obama was not on the ballot in 2016.

Question that will be long asked is - DID HE DO ENOUGH FOR HILARY?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: August 27, 2018, 12:03:46 PM »

Kid, I hear you.

What's missing from your picture of voters too lazy to locate and transport themselves to a polling station is that poverty comes with various burdens on time (most of the poor have to work - shocking, I know), childcare responsibilities, language barriers (in some cases) and deficits of transportation that may thwart the best of intentions.  As a practical matter, one role of government is to improve access, without partisan influence. 

You wouldn't probably question this role of improving access in other areas of life.  Would you tell your public library, "Hey, no need to bother with a handicapped ramp or elevators up to the stacks!  If the disabled really want books or other information services, I'm sure they will find a way!"   We don't sit around and make an issue of whether libraries are "meaningful" to the handicapped.  The fact is, if our society values something, we come together and try to make it accessible to everyone.  That's kind of the point of civilization.

You give kiodcarter8’s post respect it doesn’t deserve.

He posts statistical evidence of systemic repression of minority voters then says it’s all the fault of minorities if they vote less than whites.

You make it harder for people to vote, fewer people will. It’s the same for everyone; black white and Hispanic. Just, strangely, no one is proposing changes to voting laws and polling places that make it harder for whites to vote!

Anyone who doesn’t get the imbalance there is determined not to get the imbalance. And so not worth the time.
Actually voting is a lot easier than it has ever been with unprecedented ways to vote prior to election day( weeks in fact) and no questions-asked absentee balloting. The biggest vote suppressors  in 2016  were the candidates, especially for blacks.

barton

« Reply #1475 on: August 27, 2018, 12:13:15 PM »

My feeling is that if someone makes a discernible argument, I will try to test it out.  Kid seemed to be saying, essentially, "Voting is an important civic duty and we should all leap whatever hurdles are presented to do that duty."  If you separate that statement from the reality of voter suppression, and the previous hurdles I mentioned, you can appear to be doing some handsome Virtue Signalling.  But appeals to civic duty and personal responsibility are rather suspect when they come from those who are privileged by a system that makes it easy for them to do said duty, and harder for minorities. 

The GOP doesn't just suppress votes.  It's suppresses facts*.  On the Web, we call someone who persistently ignores facts and reasoned arguments, and weaponizes their ignorance, a "troll."  The GOP could just as well be called the Troll Party.

*  Exhibit A, for this morning:  the current smear tactics in Missouri against Claire McCaskill and her husband's investments in low-income housing.  Check out the Post or the KC Star on their deceitful misrepresentations.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1476 on: August 27, 2018, 12:43:38 PM »

My feeling is that if someone makes a discernible argument, I will try to test it out.  Kid seemed to be saying, essentially, "Voting is an important civic duty and we should all leap whatever hurdles are presented to do that duty."  If you separate that statement from the reality of voter suppression, and the previous hurdles I mentioned, you can appear to be doing some handsome Virtue Signalling.  But appeals to civic duty and personal responsibility are rather suspect when they come from those who are privileged by a system that makes it easy for them to do said duty, and harder for minorities. 
There is no reality of voter suppression. Voting never has been easier in most places.
If Voter ID laws burden the poor why, in 2016, did only blacks turnout in fewer numbers than 2012? ( and at a uniform rate across the country regardless of voter ID laws).

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1477 on: August 27, 2018, 01:02:58 PM »

Voting is so easy in Georgia the Repubs wanted to close 9 polling places that all were in predominantly African-American areas.  Closing those polling places would have put an undue disadvantage to many people who had no cars and were 30 miles from the proposed alternative polling place.
When a little sunshine was shone on that shenanigan by civil rights groups other voter rights advocates, the proposal was rejected. 

Thats the power that Red craves, to cheat "some" people out of their right to vote.

Red is just red, not red, white and blue.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #1478 on: August 27, 2018, 01:06:18 PM »

There is no reality of voter suppression. Voting never has been easier in most places.
If Voter ID laws burden the poor why, in 2016, did only blacks turnout in fewer numbers than 2012? ( and at a uniform rate across the country regardless of voter ID laws).

Negative marketing by GOP and Russians against HRC.

“Super Predators” was very effective...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1479 on: August 27, 2018, 01:07:12 PM »

Voting is so easy in Georgia the Repubs wanted to close 9 polling places that all were in predominantly African-American areas.  Closing those polling places would have put an undue disadvantage to many people who had no cars and were 30 miles from the proposed alternative polling place.
When a little sunshine was shone on that shenanigan by civil rights groups other voter rights advocates, the proposal was rejected. 

Thats the power that Red craves, to cheat "some" people out of their right to vote.

WTF, bank? We've been told "there is no reality of voter suppression."  Those polling places had to be closed to prevent voter fraud.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1480 on: August 27, 2018, 01:10:16 PM »

WTF, bank? We've been told "there is no reality of voter suppression."  Those polling places had to be closed to prevent voter fraud.

voter fraud?

I thought they had to be closed to prevent Democratic voter schaden fraud.

My bad.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1481 on: August 27, 2018, 01:32:40 PM »

Yep.  Voter fraud.  Kid's gonna post a tweet showing how rampant it is. 
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #1482 on: August 27, 2018, 01:49:45 PM »

I had heard there were 19 Haitans or Croations or from some shit hole country voting wild in North Carolina and like 25 Russians in Moscow hacking and packing the '16-'18 MLB All-Star voting.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #1483 on: August 27, 2018, 01:54:07 PM »

The proposal to close the precincts came from an Independent consultant who was hired to search out cost cutting methods for a rural county with a declining population and tax base.
The precincts in question do not have equal access accommodations among other problems. The County is solid blue and the Board of Elections is chaired by a democrat. 
Nevertheless the proposal, just months from a statewide election was tone deaf and was quickly refused and the Consultant, in effect, fired.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #1484 on: August 27, 2018, 01:57:31 PM »

Among other problems!!!

Pages: 1 ... 97 98 [99] 100 101 ... 4288