Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1995264 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #2355 on: September 11, 2018, 11:36:58 PM »

(IF FEMA HAD DONE THEIR BEST WORK POSSIBLE) - in your estimation - how many in Puerto Rico SHOULD HAVE died.?

Answer the question.

Or fill in the blank

If FEMA had just ___________, 100, 500, 1000 less people would have died.

Go ahead - say something specific about what should have occurred instead of just throwing stones and saying "they fucked up".

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2356 on: September 11, 2018, 11:39:27 PM »

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_content/politics/mood_of_america/war_on_terror_sep10

2 years ago (Obama), 60% of Americans polled said they didnt think the US was any safer than before 9/11

TODAY that number is 34%

From your link:

A new Rasmussen Reports national telephone and online survey finds that 47% of Likely U.S. voters think the United States is safer today than it was before the 9/11 terrorist attacks. That’s up from only 31% in November 2017 and the highest level of confidence in the nation’s safety since late 2012.

...or four years into Obama's Presidency.

Just one-in-three (34%) now believe the United States is not safer than it was before 9/11, down from an all-time high of 60% reached two years ago and the lowest level of worry since December 2012. Nineteen percent (19%) remain unsure. (To see survey question wording, click here.)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2357 on: September 11, 2018, 11:40:26 PM »

60%

2 years ago

Obama

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #2358 on: September 11, 2018, 11:42:11 PM »

Just under 10 million taken out of Response and Recovery from FEMA to give to ICE for the building of detention centers for immigrant children.

Celebrity donations will make up for it. 

Post wants to charge me to read? Let me guess

9-11 has now become a conservative conspiracy to the liberal elite? If only America was kinder and more understanding Muslims would not be so enraged. Nothing in the Koran about asking followers to be violent and xenophobic. Slay the enemy where you find him is the same as love thy neighbor. In his eight years BHO never saw a jihadi terrorist attack. All workplace violence or isolated insanity. Rip down those metal detectors, forget the wall they shout.

Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #2359 on: September 11, 2018, 11:44:53 PM »

You guessed wrong.Maybe you shoud spend the money.
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2360 on: September 12, 2018, 04:00:00 AM »

(IF FEMA HAD DONE THEIR BEST WORK POSSIBLE) - in your estimation - how many in Puerto Rico SHOULD HAVE died.?

Answer the question.

Or fill in the blank

If FEMA had just ___________, 100, 500, 1000 less people would have died.

Go ahead - say something specific about what should have occurred instead of just throwing stones and saying "they fucked up".

If only FEMA had sent competent people, many fewer would have died. How many fewer? Damned if I know, Kiid.

However, I will take both the GAO's opinion and FEMA's opinion over yours.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-09-04/fema-slammed-by-u-s-auditors-for-response-to-puerto-rico-storm

The U.S. Government Accountability Office’s report issued Tuesday said FEMA struggled with a record year for disasters on the mainland and Puerto Rico. Overall, the agency failed to adequately house disaster victims, distribute financial assistance in a timely fashion or do enough to prevent fraud.
the response was also hindered by FEMA’s lack of adequately trained staff -- including those who speak Spanish -- the report found.

“FEMA did not have enough bilingual employees to communicate with local residents or translate documents,” the GAO wrote, which “resulted in further delays while staff were reshuffled from other disasters to Puerto Rico.”

or
According to FEMA’s leadership, some of the personnel sent to the island weren’t physically able to handle the extreme environment.
In July, FEMA released its own report on its response to last year’s disasters, and the policy changes the agency was making as a result. Tuesday’s report said it’s “too soon to assess the adequacy of these actions as part of this review and whether the actions will have the intended impact.”

If the electricity had gotten turned on 6 months sooner, probably a few hundred could have been saved.

But it wasn't just FEMA.

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2017/10/02/us-military-puerto-rico-215668

Nearly two weeks after Hurricane Maria’s landfall, the Trump administration’s military aid to Puerto Rico may not be too late if it can save lives and ease the suffering of millions. But it is undisputedly arriving in amounts too little and too slowly, in sharp contrast to recent responses around the world and, most recently, elsewhere in the United States during this hurricane season.

TWO WEEKS! Hundreds more might have been saved with one week faster response, let alone 10 days or so.

So, more timely military aid and better prepared FEMA employees.

Satisfied?

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #2361 on: September 12, 2018, 04:22:04 AM »

Trump has done more in 2 years than Obama did in 8.
"Trump now has a low rating" they say.
Where did they do the surveys...in leftist clubs at the universities?

Americans are worried about their image?
Worry not...Trump is admired by bambu-ilk worldwide.

He's standing up to Nth Korea, Iran, China etc.
...and telling NATO countries they should be paying more for defence.
Nth Korea now wants another meeting with Trump.
Trump surely is Making America Great Again.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2362 on: September 12, 2018, 08:39:14 AM »

Funny how it isn't "free speech" any more when its used against you:

Sen. Collins, to Newsmax, on crowd funding a challenger if she votes for Kavanaugh: “I consider this quid pro quo fundraising to be the equivalent of an attempt to bribe me to vote against Judge Kavanaugh."

...which is so different from any PAC, or say, Koch funding for climate change denying politicians, or the NRA scorecard.

And to be even clearer, these are small dollar donors, as grass roots as it gets, people with no financial interest in the outcome:

https://www.crowdpac.com/campaigns/387413/either-sen-collins-votes-no-on-kavanaugh-or-we-fund-her-future-opponent
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2363 on: September 12, 2018, 08:56:44 AM »

:Mainers for Accountable Leadership

Heh

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2364 on: September 12, 2018, 09:06:55 AM »

Just under 10 million taken out of Response and Recovery from FEMA to give to ICE for the building of detention centers for immigrant children. This as a Cat 4 record breaking hurricane heads for the Carolinas. After Puerto Rico, Hawaii.

The 'unindicted co-conspirator' says today,
"I think that Puerto Rico was an incredible, unsung success."

4000 Americans dead.

"A+"!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2365 on: September 12, 2018, 09:10:43 AM »

Interesting perspective from the Head of The Baldwin School...

First, celebrating Williams' 31 Grand Slam final — this one, exactly a year after she gave birth to her first child — reminds kids that healthy competitiveness is an asset and that girls shouldn't stop themselves from being aggressive and ambitious. While boys seem to naturally absorb that idea, it's something that we shy away from encouraging in young women — and is one reason why, by age 14, girls stop playing competitive sports twice as often as boys. This despite the fact that embracing one's competitive spirit is critical for career success, particularly at senior leadership levels. Serena Williams is exactly the role model our girls need, showing them that inner competitiveness is a good thing.

http://www2.philly.com/philly/opinion/commentary/serena-williams-naomi-osaka-us-open-grand-slam-feminism-20180910.html

Um...this isn't a question of style. This was about breaking rules, having them applied, and acting as though one should be exempt from those rules.

Wonder what Serena would've said about her daughter and the next gen and women, if her opponent had been the one to throw that tantrum.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2366 on: September 12, 2018, 09:18:24 AM »

Just under 10 million taken out of Response and Recovery from FEMA to give to ICE for the building of detention centers for immigrant children. This as a Cat 4 record breaking hurricane heads for the Carolinas. After Puerto Rico, Hawaii.

4000 Americans dead.

"A+"!

Judging someone's hard work by who died is beyond ridiculous

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2367 on: September 12, 2018, 10:30:59 AM »

4000 Americans dead.

"A+"!

What’s a better metric for measuring disaster response besides lives lost?
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #2368 on: September 12, 2018, 10:37:22 AM »

Pick one

Natural disasters kill people.  Fact.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #2369 on: September 12, 2018, 10:39:30 AM »

4000 Americans dead.

"A+"!

I get what you are trying to say here.  Everyone tried their best and the deaths just couldn't be helped.  But its a self-serving argument that also happens to be wrong.

Trump didn't work hard.  While the hurricane hit he spent four days at his golf club in New Jersey and at a political rally in Alabama.  He had nothing on his calendar on Monday re: the unfolding disaster in Puerto Rico, and didn't talk to his cabinet about it until Tuesday, days after television images emerged, and the response started being criticized in the media.  This is all documented.

There were fuck-ups that are well-documented as well.  Waiting a whole week to lift the Jones Act, for example, not sending in hospital ships or the Navy until well after things were out of control, hiring a company with political connections to restore power rather than one actually capable of doing the job.  Trump made the excuse that Puerto Rico was an island when asked about the slow and inadequate response, as if that was a fact that wasn't well known before the hurricane hit.

Knowing how many died, Trump could respect the scale of the disaster and the loss of life and refrain from boasting obviously false praise about how great the response was.   Its self-evidently not "one of the best jobs that's ever been done..."  You can argue there were factors outside of the control of the Federal response.  Some were.  But Trump's characterization of the preparations and aftermath are an insult to Puerto Rico, and our intelligence.

And to your point above, Trump and Congressional Republicans are purposely preventing our having any other basis to judge by refusing to hold a hearing or otherwise look into what was obviously an inadequate response.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020
Pages: 1 ... 156 157 [158] 159 160 ... 4288