Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1605954 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #3256 on: September 25, 2018, 05:55:35 PM »

Again - was anything on "his yearbook page" written by Kavanaugh?

Again, yes, it all was.

The Georgetown Prep yearbook’s personal pages were designed and written by the individual students, according to alumni. A faculty adviser reviewed the pages.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/24/business/brett-kavanaugh-yearbook-renate.html
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: September 25, 2018, 06:01:51 PM »

https://www.vox.com/policy-and-politics/2018/9/25/17900812/brett-kavanaugh-yearbook-georgetown-prep-trump

Again - was anything on "his yearbook page" written by Kavanaugh?

There are ZERO inconsistencies here.  Kavanaugh was not asked if he hung out with neanderthals (Ms McCallum, you missed this one).  Though he did state that there was no sexual abuse that he knew of occurring at these parties.

Why would you deny that BK's high school yearbook ramblings were a different experience that ALL high schoolers participate in?

We all have that page with our wild and crazy adventures, our conquests, the all-nighters, written in code that are our inside jokes.

But Kavanaugh didn't?

His yearbook is a Liberal hoax/fake news?

TFF

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: September 25, 2018, 06:17:49 PM »

The president wants this process to come to a vote because that's what's supposed to happen.  In every single one of these instances where someone is nominated, they go before, they have a hearing and then the senators vote on it.
- Sarah Huckabee Sanders on Fox & Friends today.

I mean, wow.  Did she really say that?  The lack of awareness of these people is truly remarkable.

"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: September 25, 2018, 06:21:29 PM »

Here is the transcript

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/09/24/brett-kavanaughs-fox-news-interview-transcript-annotated/?utm_term=.40824f00870b

Please point out the lies.

I already told you it was the implications of what he said, but I can point out a couple to you:

"I’ve always treated women with dignity and respect."

"KAVANAUGH: I do not. And this is an allegation about a party in the summer of 1982 at a house near Connecticut Avenue and East West highway with five people present.
I was never at any such party. The other people who are alleged to be present have said they do not remember any such party. A woman who was present, another woman who was present"

She said there were 4 men and her present. That makes 5. If this other woman was there, then there were not 5 people present, were there? (Not to mention that I have heard no such report of another woman at the party claiming that Kavanaugh was not there.)

"When I worked in the Bush White House, 84 women signed a letter saying that, in the pressurized environment of the west-wing, I always treated them with equality and promoted women’s advancement –"

NOTE: This one is not a lie (except maybe the last sentence, but that is not why I posted it.

Kiid, what happened that would have prompted him then, during the Bush White House years, to need a letter signed by 84 women that he treated them well?

Was there an accusation then that we are not hearing about? Wouldn't there have to have been?!

"And the drinking age was 18, and yes, the seniors were legal and had beer there."

That one's a lie. In Maryland, when he was a senior, the drinking age was 21 and even the grandfathering would not have worked as his classmates would not have been 18 when the law was changed.

"the people I went to high school with, the girls and the boys, now men and women, that I went to high school with"

He went to an all-boys school.

That he was a virgin until "many years after college" is impossible to prove or disprove and is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

And in my job as a judge for 12 years I’ve been promoting women’s equality. There was a problem with women law clerks getting hired at the Supreme Court. I am the leading federal judge in the country – the leader in the entire country of promoting women law clerks to get Supreme Court clerkships. For the last seven years, I’ve been coaching girl’s basketball. Ask the moms.

I believe every word of this.

The stories about how he chooses his clerks are interesting. And... as of this moment I would not want my daughter on a team he coaches.

NOTE: This is not a lie, either. It is however, one of several evasions. This one is a double evasion:
MCCALLUM: Do you believe there should be an FBI investigation into these allegations and that a pause should happen and, you know, sort it all out? If there’s nothing to worry about and nothing to hide, why not have that process, Ashley? And then I’ll ask you that, Brett.

KAVANAUGH: I mean, I’ve said all along and Ashley, too, I want to be heard. I was first interviewed last Monday, the day after the allegation appeared by the committee staff under penalty of felony, and I denied this categorically and unequivocally and I said twice during that, I said, “I want a hearing tomorrow,” last Tuesday, a week ago.
I want an opportunity – a fair process. America’s about fairness, I want a fair process where I can defend my integrity and clear my name as quickly as I can in whatever forum the Senate deems appropriate.

Kavanaugh prevented Ashley from answering and then he failed to answer either of the two questions.

"Do you believe there should be an FBI investigation into these allegations...?"
"If there’s nothing to worry about and nothing to hide, why not have that process, Ashley? And then I’ll ask you that, Brett."

This is one of the main reasons I remain very suspicious of him, Kiid.

"KAVANUGH: In America, we have fairness."

There's a lie.

There are tons of evasions. He had his talking points and he repeated them again and again. I thought he did a pretty good job, given what his goal was.

We'll see if it is enough to save his nomination. If the former State Dept./current Mint employee actually has evidence, he's toast. If the Senate Judiciary Committee refuses to allow testimony from anybody but the two of them and the Mint woman has no evidence, he has a good chance of skating.

But why doesn't he want the FBI investigation and why wouldn't he let his wife answer, if he's done nothing wrong.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2018, 06:23:53 PM by josh »
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: September 25, 2018, 06:23:16 PM »

Too funny, crazy Donald VS the supreme Ayatollah at the U.N.. Which celestial highness will blink first?
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: September 25, 2018, 06:33:06 PM »

What is the FBI supposed to investigate?

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: September 25, 2018, 06:36:14 PM »

"What happens at Georgetown Prep, stays at Georgetown Prep." ----Bret Kavanaugh.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: September 25, 2018, 06:36:36 PM »

An alleged sexual assault.

Have you not heard?  It’s been kind of in the news a lot lately.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: September 25, 2018, 06:46:23 PM »

When and where.

oilcan

« Reply #3265 on: September 25, 2018, 06:46:40 PM »

I take his point,  though.   If Red means,  how can one find evidence of an encounter that happened 36  years ago and where no one sought medical treatment or otherwise made any report?   Especially when details seem conflicting.  TbH,  that's why I find the Renate thing more telling, it's on paper and we know the exact source.   Not that Ms Ford should not seek justice,  but it's hard for me to see how it gets beyond the word of a possible drunk and the word of someone who claimed to have one beer.   Truth finding requires more than people just asserting their alcohol levels 36.years ago and not able to remember key details like location.   

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: September 25, 2018, 06:53:45 PM »

I take his point,  though.   If Red means,  how can one find evidence of an encounter that happened 36  years ago and where no one sought medical treatment or otherwise made any report?   Especially when details seem conflicting.  TbH,  that's why I find the Renate thing more telling, it's on paper and we know the exact source.   Not that Ms Ford should not seek justice,  but it's hard for me to see how it gets beyond the word of a possible drunk and the word of someone who claimed to have one beer.   Truth finding requires more than people just asserting their alcohol levels 36.years ago and not able to remember key details like location.

The other thing that I find equivalent to the Renate Alumnus item is Mark Judge's book about those years, with his character Bart O'Kavanaugh and the parties and drinking that he wrote about that Judge Kavanaugh not only denies having participated in, but even knowing about.

Also, they could check into why 84 women in the Bush administration were asked to sign a letter supporting (then) Mr. Kavanaugh.

They could also investigage the claims of (a) Mr. Avenatti's client and (b) the former clerks and employees of Kavanaugh and Kosinski (sp), who say they have relevant data.

Lots for the FBI to investigate. And it wouldn't take very long, either!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: September 25, 2018, 06:54:07 PM »

When and where.

Yeah, and no witnesses.

Oh...wait.

And it’s a background check investigation. Not a criminal one. Not hard to talk to classmates and assess plausibility.

barton

« Reply #3268 on: September 25, 2018, 06:56:54 PM »

Agree,  Oilcan.   Any investigation has to be open to the possibility that too much time has passed.   And too few details recalled.   It's Kavanaugh's overall mendacity and slippery stuff that really is more indicative he's not a future justice.   Because that speaks to his PRESENT CHARACTER and not his character at 17.  If he openly expressed regret over "alumnius" I would think more highly of him.  If he openly admitted a drinking problem in his youth,  ditto.   

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: September 25, 2018, 06:57:46 PM »

The Renate Alumnius would Ben the kind of thing an FBI background check focused on this issue might have uncovered. Instead of it being up to New York Times reporting.
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 4288