Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1995743 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #6495 on: November 22, 2018, 12:12:05 PM »

Hope everyone is with someone they want to be with.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6496 on: November 22, 2018, 12:42:03 PM »

Isnt that what a party leader does, fights to gain advantages in elections if its legal? Nancy Pelosi is such an incompetent idiot.

You're a fool.

Huh! Nancy Pelosi has allowed the Republicans to gain all sorts of advantages and steal elections. No wonder she is so loved on the other side of the aisle. Please don't go.

And how has she allowed that, pray tell? Or, in terms of "allowed the Republicans to ... steal elections," what is it that you think she could have done to stop it?! The Dems gained 37 seats (and may get to 39). Which elections did the GOP steal because of her?!

Why on Earth is she your target and not either Harry Reid or his successor, Mr. Schumer?

I think you are aimed in the wrong direction.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6497 on: November 22, 2018, 12:43:30 PM »

I see you can’t dispute the numbers.

I'm not trying to dispute the numbers.  The intention of my post was simply stated.  And your instinct to hide your sourcing (or pass off the analysis as your own) is odd.

On the point, yes, school choice is a major issue for minorities when far too many public schools remain effectively segregated.  I personally support Charter Schools (though not vouchers) for this reason, and don't agree with the instinctual response of some progressives to oppose them.

I suspect its because they know (and are 100% correct in this) that Republicans' interest in "school choice" has next to nothing to do with a desire to better the education of minority children.
Really? What is the “ interest” then?

Republicans want to monetize “public”education...
Really? How do they do that?

Ask Betsy Devos, after all that was supposed to be why she was brought in to the administration. But now that you’ve lost the House the school choice charade could be over and done with...
Betsy Devos has nothing to do with funding of local k-12 school districts.
Nor does the US House of Representatives.

And there you expose the depths of your ignorance of the American education system, Redd.

Congratulations.

Overall, the Feds contribute about 8% of the public school budget, with variations on a state, district, and school level. While most of that comes from DoE, some comes from other places, like Agriculture (lunch) and HHS (Head Start!). But beyond that, there are programs like Title 1 and Javits grants and many more that arise from the federal budget each year.

There is money to fund private school tuition for the poor and charter schools, for example. Some of that comes in grants which the Secretary oversees, usually indirectly but not always - she does set the priorities.

Yes, Secretary DeVos has a say in school funding. So does the House.
You should be ashamed at being so ignorant. What with you masquerading as the “global moderator. “

Your usual point-by-point rebuttal.

I am thankful today for the hearty laughs I get at your inability to simply admit when you are wrong.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6498 on: November 22, 2018, 02:29:42 PM »

I'm not trying to dispute the numbers.  The intention of my post was simply stated.  And your instinct to hide your sourcing (or pass off the analysis as your own) is odd.

On the point, yes, school choice is a major issue for minorities when far too many public schools remain effectively segregated.  I personally support Charter Schools (though not vouchers) for this reason, and don't agree with the instinctual response of some progressives to oppose them.

I suspect its because they know (and are 100% correct in this) that Republicans' interest in "school choice" has next to nothing to do with a desire to better the education of minority children.

Ask Betsy Devos, after all that was supposed to be why she was brought in to the administration. But now that you’ve lost the House the school choice charade could be over and done with...

And there you expose the depths of your ignorance of the American education system, Redd.

Congratulations.

Overall, the Feds contribute about 8% of the public school budget, with variations on a state, district, and school level. While most of that comes from DoE, some comes from other places, like Agriculture (lunch) and HHS (Head Start!). But beyond that, there are programs like Title 1 and Javits grants and many more that arise from the federal budget each year.

There is money to fund private school tuition for the poor and charter schools, for example. Some of that comes in grants which the Secretary oversees, usually indirectly but not always - she does set the priorities.

You should be ashamed at being so ignorant. What with you masquerading as the “global moderator. “

When you come up with a point send us all a post card. But you better first take a course in public education funding in the US.

oilcan

« Reply #6499 on: November 22, 2018, 03:32:28 PM »

Josh seems to have cited examples of categorical grants,  which you seem to deny exist.   

https://legaldictionary.net/categorical-grants/

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #6500 on: November 22, 2018, 08:30:55 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/muslim-leaders-boycott-meeting-with-scott-morrison-over-his-comments-on-bourke-street-terror-attack-just-after-the-pm-asked-them-to-help-track-down-extremists/ar-BBPVX7N?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

Muslim leaders BOYCOTT meeting with Scott Morrison over his comments on Bourke Street terror attack - just after the PM asked them to help track down extremists

The Australian National Imams Council and Australian Federation of Islamic Councils have issued a joint statement declaring they would refuse to meet with the PM, who floated the idea of discussing ways to stop extremist violence.

The statement, co-signed by the Grand Mufti Dr Ibrahim Abu Mohamed and ANIC president Sheikh Shady Alsuleiman, slammed his demand last week for Muslim leaders to be aware of extremists in their mosques.

#####

Every day it seems to heading more towards being "us and them".

Australia needs Trump.

Not PC to blame terrorist acts on the Muslim terrorists who committed them. BHO would blame it on workplace violence or environmental factors.

He's not the only one.
Many people with the multicultural dream are living in denial.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #6501 on: November 22, 2018, 09:17:01 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/22/world/europe/hillary-clinton-migration-populism-europe.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Hillary Clinton Says Europe Must ‘Get a Handle’ on Migration to Thwart Populism

Europe’s leaders need to send a much stronger message that they will no longer offer “refuge and support” to migrants if they want to curb the right-wing populism spreading across the Continent, Hillary Clinton warned in an interview published Thursday.

Mrs. Clinton said that while the decision of some nations to welcome migrants was admirable, it had opened the door to political turmoil, the rise of the right and Britain’s decision to withdraw from the European.

#####

Indeed.
Looks like open borders and multiculturalism have been dismal failures in Europe. 

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6502 on: November 22, 2018, 10:38:43 PM »

John Roberts went all John Marshall on Trump's Jeffersonian view of judges.

Love it!
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #6503 on: November 22, 2018, 11:00:25 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/11/22/world/europe/hillary-clinton-migration-populism-europe.html?action=click&module=Top%20Stories&pgtype=Homepage

Hillary Clinton Says Europe Must ‘Get a Handle’ on Migration to Thwart Populism

Europe’s leaders need to send a much stronger message that they will no longer offer “refuge and support” to migrants if they want to curb the right-wing populism spreading across the Continent, Hillary Clinton warned in an interview published Thursday.

Mrs. Clinton said that while the decision of some nations to welcome migrants was admirable, it had opened the door to political turmoil, the rise of the right and Britain’s decision to withdraw from the European.

#####

Indeed.
Looks like open borders and multiculturalism have been dismal failures in Europe.

Seems as though HRC learned her lessen in a very definite way. Lost lib. elite cause like open borders are to be avoided. "deplorables" do not appreciate having violent primitives in the building.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:11:09 AM by luee »
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6504 on: November 22, 2018, 11:45:07 PM »

Congratulations.

When you come up with a point send us all a post card. But you better first take a course in public education funding in the US.

Even more of your deflection and denial.

Rare form, Redd.

You remain full of shit.

Got anything to disprove what I said? The 8% figure I gave came from the Department of Education's website. Perhaps you should take up your dispute with them.

Though you should join a school with a Title 1 program first, as you need remedial reading.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6505 on: November 22, 2018, 11:49:58 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/22/politics/trump-thanksgiving-thankful-for-difference/index.html

The Narcissist-in-Chief is thankful today for the difference he has made.

In his talk with a sailor today, he returned to a winner from last year, when he threatened to block development of electro-magnetic launching from the Gerald Ford class aircraft carriers, as he prefers steam.

He's made such a big difference in North Korea, Iran, Mexico, Canada, and the US House of Representatives!

And to Ford, which is planning major layoffs in the wake of their tariff-caused $1 billion dolllar loss.

Plus his help in boosting the federal deficit. He is so amazing!

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #6506 on: November 23, 2018, 12:58:15 AM »

Plus his help in boosting the federal deficit. He is so amazing!
What is amazing to me is that I think he actually believes many of the lies that he tells. It doesn’t matter if something didn’t work out the way he wanted it to….he simply constructs a favorable (to him) scenario in his head and then he speaks and acts as if that scenario were actually true. So not only is he terminally narcissistic, he’s quite delusional to boot. I am sure the North Korean meeting was, in his mind, a tremendous success, whereas most sane people think it was mostly a tremendous American failure. The Helsinki meeting was even worse. But if you listen to Trump it was, instead, another Trump triumph. And I truly believe that that is how he sees it and truly believes it to be, rather than how it actually turned out to be. He must be removed from the Presidency, at very latest, by 2020. We can’t have a delusional person running our country. Sooner or later his personal divorce from reality will cause some sort of disaster which can’t be fixed.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6507 on: November 23, 2018, 08:50:18 AM »

His words speak for themselves just as adroitly in response to this second salvo from the Liar-in-Chief.
And the best part? Roberts can’t be fired. The Orange Ogre can huff and puff and stomp his tiny feet—wear down his his small fingers twittering away 24/7…but there is nothing he can do about the man. Got to make him want to take a bone saw to Roberts….but it’s O.K. He’ll lose interest in this in a couple of days and move on to some other useless crisis brewing in his delusional mind.

Pretty sure Roberts not weighing too heavily on Trump's mind.

kiiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #6508 on: November 23, 2018, 08:56:26 AM »

Did I miss the "what I am thankful for" portion of festivities?

Lets start with the slate of potential  Dem nominees for President 2020.  Very thankful for this list.

Next great Dem pres may not have even been born yet
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:27:45 AM by kiiidcarter8 »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #6509 on: November 23, 2018, 09:00:59 AM »

Pretty sure nothing weighs too heavily (or too lightly) on this President's "mind."
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce
Pages: 1 ... 432 433 [434] 435 436 ... 4288