Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584225 times)

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #8325 on: January 12, 2019, 07:40:10 PM »

"Australia was too slow with the paperwork" for case of Saudi teen who was seeking asylum...so she was accepted by Canada.

"Once bitten [well actually many times bitten], twice shy".
Australia was obviously taking a long and thorough look at the situation before doing anything...sent the Foreign Minister to Thailand to investigate.
Wouldn't want to open any floodgates.

"Not everyone online is who they say they are" - Aussie state cop top cop.
Yes, and as Australia has found out over time...not every asylum-seeker is who they say they are.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8326 on: January 12, 2019, 07:52:52 PM »

MAKING AMERICA WHITE AGAIN

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/01/10/donald-trump-border-wall-birtherism-racial-resentment-column/2526917002/

More like securing the borders and stopping people just walking in and setting up 'shop' because they feel like it, feel they're entitled.

If I were rich...I'd like to have a 'holiday home' in a penthouse overlooking Central Park.
US Govt would probably deny me permanent residency.
I couldn't just rock up in a row boat, step ashore and set myself up in said penthouse....so why should other people be allowed to do it uninvited?
Do you think this is how it's happening? People just "waltzing " in as you've claimed?
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #8327 on: January 12, 2019, 08:19:49 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opinion/2019/01/10/donald-trump-border-wall-birtherism-racial-resentment-column/2526917002/

More like securing the borders and stopping people just walking in and setting up 'shop' because they feel like it, feel they're entitled.

If I were rich...I'd like to have a 'holiday home' in a penthouse overlooking Central Park.
I couldn't just rock up in a row boat, step ashore and set myself up in said penthouse....so why should other people be allowed to do it uninvited?
Do you think this is how it's happening? People just "waltzing " in as you've claimed?

Yes, I saw it on tv.

Illegal immigrants from one end of America to the other...just climbing/walking over the Mexican border at will.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/illegal-immigrants-us-jobs-economy-farm-workers-taxes/

A snapshot of who they are

Pew Research Center estimates that about 11.3 million people are currently living in the U.S. without authorization, down from a peak of 12.2 million in 2007. More than half come from Mexico, and about 15 percent come from other parts Latin America.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/11/us/undocumented-immigrant-workers.html

8 Million People Are Working Illegally in the U.S. Here’s Why That’s Unlikely to Change.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8328 on: January 12, 2019, 08:30:23 PM »

Yes. I saw it on TV.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8329 on: January 12, 2019, 09:13:13 PM »

Fogerty.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

whiskeypriest

• What does it matter? All is grace.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8330 on: January 12, 2019, 11:13:05 PM »

Yes, I saw it on tv.

Illegal immigrants from one end of America to the other...just climbing/walking over the Mexican border at will.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/illegal-immigrants-us-jobs-economy-farm-workers-taxes/

A snapshot of who they are

Pew Research Center estimates that about 11.3 million people are currently living in the U.S. without authorization, down from a peak of 12.2 million in 2007. More than half come from Mexico, and about 15 percent come from other parts Latin America.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/11/us/undocumented-immigrant-workers.html

8 Million People Are Working Illegally in the U.S. Here’s Why That’s Unlikely to Change.
Just walking in through the Tohono O'odham res and the Sonoran desert. People die on that trip all the time.
I like to think you killed a man. It's the Romantic in me.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8331 on: January 13, 2019, 01:43:25 AM »

Sorry Bambu. With Red and Kid we have already met our dangerous idiot quota as a nation. There is simply no room for you unless you can arrange some kind of swap.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Stan4377

• View Profile
« Reply #8332 on: January 13, 2019, 09:42:51 AM »

Thought I'd stop by and see what was happening in here. I think I can sum it up.

Us (us, us, us, us) and them (them, them, them, them)
And after all we're only ordinary men ..

And

Same as it ever was ...

Continue to have at it, but it is an illusion. An exercise in futility.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8333 on: January 13, 2019, 09:45:06 AM »

Thanks, Stan!!!!

barton

« Reply #8334 on: January 13, 2019, 10:20:36 AM »

The best way to establish social status is to drive by and deliver a lofty and wisely philosophic blanket dismissal!   Everyone in the room is instantly gobsmacked.   "Who was that mystic master of discourse? " they ask each other.   "Who was that sage with his eye on the ever-shifting needle of man's absurdity?" 

Was it the Dos Equis Man?  Or perhaps an eminent alien anthropologist. 

15 quatloos on the human!

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #8335 on: January 13, 2019, 11:52:02 AM »

I vaguely remember a "stan" in the NYT forum.

vaguely

I'm thinking not many kids today, outside of Poland, are named Stan.

oilcan

« Reply #8336 on: January 13, 2019, 01:14:30 PM »

Are you Afghani, Stan?   Just remember:  cynicism is just idealism for lazy people.   Meanwhile,  the non-lazy people try and figure out how to remedy the problems and glitches of civilization.  And how to contribute. It's more work than just calling it all futile,  but there are great rewards.   Read Stephen Pinker on what ordinary life was like in earlier centuries - it puts things in perspective. 

kidcarter8

• View Profile
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8338 on: January 13, 2019, 03:19:05 PM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8339 on: January 13, 2019, 03:52:11 PM »

They’ll be in Houston next, as trump makes Texas Blue.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 554 555 [556] 557 558 ... 4288