Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583802 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #8445 on: January 15, 2019, 01:59:50 PM »

Has Donnie Jr. ever had a job outside of the family?

Big game hunter

Donnie is a donk
Eric and Ivana

and who knows....maybe Baron are the future.   with Jared of course a possibility

"Big game hunter" is not a jobl

It was a joke, genius

So hard to tell with you, Kiiid.

You post things more absurd than that, nearly daily, while seeming to believe them.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8446 on: January 15, 2019, 02:03:14 PM »

Has Donnie Jr. ever had a job outside of the family?

Big game hunter

Donnie is a donk
Eric and Ivana

and who knows....maybe Baron are the future.   with Jared of course a possibility

"Big game hunter" is not a jobl

It was a joke, genius

“It ain’t funny, Magee.”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8447 on: January 15, 2019, 02:04:11 PM »

A federal judge in Washington on Tuesday refused to force the government to pay federal employees who have been working without compensation during the partial government shutdown, rejecting arguments from labor unions that unpaid work violates labor laws and the Constitution.

U.S. District Judge Richard J. Leon said it would be “profoundly irresponsible to issue an order that would result in thousands of employees staying home from work."

"At best it would create chaos and confusion,” Leon said. “At worst it could be catastrophic. . . . I’m not going to put people’s lives at risk.”

-The Post

Erm, I thought the judge's job was to interpret the law and make rulings on that basis, not making broad decisions about what's best for everyone in our society.   Address the question:  does forced work, in this context, violate labor law and the Constitution?

And how would paying them lead to folks staying home from work?!

I mean, I agree with your point, but I am confused by the judge's attempt at reasoning.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8448 on: January 15, 2019, 02:05:56 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/425377-Trump-shares-article-blasting-federal-workers-calling-for-long-shutdown

That the author thinks firing the furloughed employees and not ever paying them is constitutional is disturbing (let alone the underlying wisdom of the action).

But that our president retweeted it is unfortunate, if unsurprising.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 02:18:15 PM by josh »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #8449 on: January 15, 2019, 02:13:51 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/425377-Trump-shares-article-blasting-federal-workers-calling-for-long-shutdown

That Donnie Jr. thinks he is a high ranking administration official is wry.

That the author thinks firing the furloughed employees and not ever paying them is constitutional is disturbing (let alone the underlying wisdom of the action).

It's not Donnie Jr. who is claiming to be a high-ranking administration official.   
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8450 on: January 15, 2019, 02:18:43 PM »

That Donnie Jr. thinks he is a high ranking administration official is wry.

It's not Donnie Jr. who is claiming to be a high-ranking administration official.

Sure enough. Edited. Misread the tweet.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8451 on: January 15, 2019, 02:24:10 PM »

Grover Norquist is high fiving any one in reach...
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 03:50:44 PM by LarryBnDC usetab Knicks12 »
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8452 on: January 15, 2019, 03:05:01 PM »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-vote-result-theresa-may-lose-defeat-deal-no-confidence-conservative-government-mp-labour-a8729391.html

Brexit vote result: Theresa May suffers crushing defeat as MPs reject deal by huge margin
Prime minister announces vote of no confidence in her government on Wednesday, to 'confirm' that MPs want her to continue in office

A record margin defeated it.

I don't think she'll survive this vote as PM, at this point.

barton

« Reply #8453 on: January 15, 2019, 03:14:17 PM »

A federal judge in Washington on Tuesday refused to force the government to pay federal employees who have been working without compensation during the partial government shutdown, rejecting arguments from labor unions that unpaid work violates labor laws and the Constitution.

U.S. District Judge Richard J. Leon said it would be “profoundly irresponsible to issue an order that would result in thousands of employees staying home from work."

"At best it would create chaos and confusion,” Leon said. “At worst it could be catastrophic. . . . I’m not going to put people’s lives at risk.”

-The Post

Erm, I thought the judge's job was to interpret the law and make rulings on that basis, not making broad decisions about what's best for everyone in our society.   Address the question:  does forced work, in this context, violate labor law and the Constitution?

And how would paying them lead to folks staying home from work?!

I mean, I agree with your point, but I am confused by the judge's attempt at reasoning.

I think the suit is two-pronged:  those who aren't paid must be freed to stay home,  those who must work must be paid.   The judge seems to be assuming that the government would be unable to pay,  therefore the force of the ruling would be to idle many workers.   Clearly,  this is not his judgement to make.   

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #8454 on: January 15, 2019, 03:51:42 PM »

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star

Lyndon Johnson

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8456 on: January 15, 2019, 05:47:38 PM »

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-vote-result-theresa-may-lose-defeat-deal-no-confidence-conservative-government-mp-labour-a8729391.html

Brexit vote result: Theresa May suffers crushing defeat as MPs reject deal by huge margin
Prime minister announces vote of no confidence in her government on Wednesday, to 'confirm' that MPs want her to continue in office

They dont have the votes to remove May
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #8457 on: January 15, 2019, 05:49:11 PM »

Government workers can stay home

Just take those sick and vacation days.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

barton

« Reply #8458 on: January 15, 2019, 05:54:36 PM »

New York New York it's a hell of a state
The Bronx is up and they're partying late
Now early voters don't have to wait
Cuomo's pen will bring this happy fate....

New York New York ends electoral abuse
Absentees won't need an excuse
To hand in ballots when they're on the loose....

barton

« Reply #8459 on: January 15, 2019, 05:57:09 PM »

They dont have the votes to remove May

A hundred Tories defected on her Brexit deal.   What makes you think they won't vote her out? 
Pages: 1 ... 562 563 [564] 565 566 ... 4288