Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1002 1003 [1004] 1005 1006 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584004 times)

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #15045 on: June 12, 2019, 04:21:20 PM »

Playing the Race Card can be costly.
It also can be confusing.

Item one

A Lorain County, Ohio, jury on Friday nuked Oberlin College with an $11 million verdict, finding that the school and its dean of students, Meredith Raimondo, had libeled and harmed local business Gibson’s Bakery over a 2016 incident in which the store had had three shoplifters arrested. The trio, who pled to the charges in 2017, were black Oberlin students who quickly instigated protests — abetted by very willing school officials, acting in their formal roles — claiming Gibson’s was a racist business.

The facts of the story are laid out here https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/06/10/oberlin-college-gibsons-bakery-libel-million-racist/?utm_term=.8e16819364c5
This week the second phase of the trial, for punitive damages, could add another $20 million to the judgement against Oberlin.
It should be noted that the three students at the heart of the original altercation admitted guilt and declared there was nothing racist in the actions of the store employees.

Yawn.

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) said on Tuesday that limiting women’s access to reproductive health care is akin to being racist.

During an interview with The Des Moines Register on Tuesday, the presidential hopeful said it’s simply wrong to “deny women basic human rights” such as access to safe and affordable reproductive health care. Gillibrand likened appointing judges who oppose abortion to supporting judges who hold racist beliefs. 

“I think there’s some issues that have such moral clarity that we have, as a society, decided that the other side is not acceptable,” Gillibrand said.

“Imagine saying that it’s OK to appoint a judge who’s racist or anti-Semitic or homophobic,” she continued. “Asking someone to appoint someone who takes away basic human rights of any group of people in America ... I don’t think those are political issues anymore.”

Gillibrand pointed to the fact that church and state are separated by law in the U.S. And yet, she added, the conservative right is turning religious anti-abortion rhetoric into law. 

How is advocating pro-life for babies racist since the overriding  goal is to let all children live, regardless of the color of their skin?
In New York City in the state where Gillabrand is a Senator 54% of black pregnancies ended in abortions. For all other ethnic groups, including Asians and Hispanics, births exceeded abortions by wide margins. Nationally black women who make up 13% of the female population accounted for 36% of abortions.
Abortion is a tough subject for a number of reasons but Gillabrand does nothing to advance solutions by claiming that those who favor pro-life laws are racist.

You can't possibly be this dense, can you?
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #15046 on: June 12, 2019, 04:28:00 PM »

Playing the Race Card can be costly.
It also can be confusing.

Item one

A Lorain County, Ohio, jury on Friday nuked Oberlin College with an $11 million verdict, finding that the school and its dean of students, Meredith Raimondo, had libeled and harmed local business Gibson’s Bakery over a 2016 incident in which the store had had three shoplifters arrested. The trio, who pled to the charges in 2017, were black Oberlin students who quickly instigated protests — abetted by very willing school officials, acting in their formal roles — claiming Gibson’s was a racist business.

The facts of the story are laid out here https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2019/06/10/oberlin-college-gibsons-bakery-libel-million-racist/?utm_term=.8e16819364c5
This week the second phase of the trial, for punitive damages, could add another $20 million to the judgement against Oberlin.
It should be noted that the three students at the heart of the original altercation admitted guilt and declared there was nothing racist in the actions of the store employees.

Item 2

Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand (D-N.Y.) said on Tuesday that limiting women’s access to reproductive health care is akin to being racist.

During an interview with The Des Moines Register on Tuesday, the presidential hopeful said it’s simply wrong to “deny women basic human rights” such as access to safe and affordable reproductive health care. Gillibrand likened appointing judges who oppose abortion to supporting judges who hold racist beliefs. 

“I think there’s some issues that have such moral clarity that we have, as a society, decided that the other side is not acceptable,” Gillibrand said.

“Imagine saying that it’s OK to appoint a judge who’s racist or anti-Semitic or homophobic,” she continued. “Asking someone to appoint someone who takes away basic human rights of any group of people in America ... I don’t think those are political issues anymore.”

Gillibrand pointed to the fact that church and state are separated by law in the U.S. And yet, she added, the conservative right is turning religious anti-abortion rhetoric into law. 

How is advocating pro-life for babies racist since the overriding  goal is to let all children live, regardless of the color of their skin?
In New York City in the state where Gillabrand is a Senator 54% of black pregnancies ended in abortions. For all other ethnic groups, including Asians and Hispanics, births exceeded abortions by wide margins. Nationally black women who make up 13% of the female population accounted for 36% of abortions.
Abortion is a tough subject for a number of reasons but Gillabrand does nothing to advance solutions by claiming that those who favor pro-life laws are racist.

Too many floaties for you to contemplate?

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15047 on: June 12, 2019, 04:34:35 PM »

I'm pretty confident that nothing short of the use of the n-word registers as racist with Red.    And that doesn't mean that I believe Red to be a racist.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 04:36:34 PM by Yankguy1 »
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15048 on: June 12, 2019, 05:38:26 PM »

I'm pretty confident that nothing short of the use of the n-word registers as racist with Red.    And that doesn't mean that I believe Red to be a racist.
Well, thanks.
Then you must agree that using racism ,which  did not happen, to libel a family deserves financial
punishment.
And how is being pro-life racist?
Are you suggesting there would be no pro-life movement if most babies aborted were white?
I was around in the days before Roe and blacks were most vocal in opposing abortions. Led by Jesse Jackson who said he feared the guys in the white coats more than the ones in the blue coats.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15049 on: June 12, 2019, 05:48:00 PM »

I'll answer all your questions the next time you call something racist, racist.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #15050 on: June 12, 2019, 05:48:27 PM »

If you read this:

...and conclude that Gillibrand is saying pro-life people are racists, you are either too stupid or too intellectually dishonest to engage.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #15051 on: June 12, 2019, 05:51:12 PM »

And how is being pro-life racist?

How is being pro-life homophobic?

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15052 on: June 12, 2019, 06:06:57 PM »

If you read this:

...and conclude that Gillibrand is saying pro-life people are racists, you are either too stupid or too intellectually dishonest to engage.

Oooo I know this one!

Choice B: intellectually dishonest!

What do I win?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15053 on: June 12, 2019, 06:09:05 PM »

Red's determination to stop false allegations of racism knows no bounds. 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15054 on: June 12, 2019, 06:10:03 PM »

If you read this:

Okay.
I read it.
Gillabrand had one purpose. To label pro-lifers racist.
I won’t miss you.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15055 on: June 12, 2019, 06:11:38 PM »

Thanks for agreeing.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15056 on: June 12, 2019, 06:13:17 PM »

Thanks for agreeing.
Even when no actual allegations are made. 

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #15057 on: June 12, 2019, 06:15:25 PM »

Thanks for agreeing.
Even when no actual allegations are made.
Must not have read my documentation.

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #15058 on: June 12, 2019, 06:15:59 PM »

Must not have read!!!!!  As I said before I'll find your protestations of unfair accusations much more credible the first time you actually accept that something racist is racist.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2019, 06:17:57 PM by Yankguy1 »

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #15059 on: June 12, 2019, 06:16:32 PM »

If you read this:

Oooo I know this one!

Choice B: intellectually dishonest!

What do I win?

REDSTATEWARD is often accused of intellectual dishonesty, its how every one of his posts come across.

But honestly, I think he might just be stupid.
Pages: 1 ... 1002 1003 [1004] 1005 1006 ... 4288