Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1178 1179 [1180] 1181 1182 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1868027 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #17685 on: August 01, 2019, 11:53:18 PM »

If you don’t want to be irrelevant you shouldn’t let Bill Barr write your campaign ads. Buhbye.

https://twitter.com/tulsigabbard/status/1111386620698083329?s=21
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17686 on: August 01, 2019, 11:58:43 PM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17687 on: August 02, 2019, 12:06:40 AM »

Unhappy (former?) coal miners. Or as one commenter said, roughly, "We promised the mines would reopen. We didn't say anything about getting paid!"

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/455602-kentucky-coal-miners-block-train-tracks-in-protest-for-pay-from
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17688 on: August 02, 2019, 12:15:02 AM »

Does a DC court have jurisdiction over whether or not NY hands over Trump's taxes, should they be asked for them?

That's the question under consideration, during this agreed upon pause.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/01/politics/trump-tax-information-new-york/index.html

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17689 on: August 02, 2019, 01:33:45 AM »

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #17690 on: August 02, 2019, 02:01:47 AM »

Stop it already, there is no room for 40% of the population of Central America in the US. Every warm weather climate city is already stacked high with the homeless. Tampa area looked nice for retirement but community I tried is forced to restrict use of clubhouse and pool because they become overrun by the homeless. I allow a local laborer I met at Mcds to stay a couple of nights a week in a vacant room, pays when he can. The rest of the time he sleeps in the woods. He is an American born Navy vet.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #17691 on: August 02, 2019, 04:54:32 AM »

Stop it already, there is no room for 40% of the population of Central America in the US. Every warm weather climate city is already stacked high with the homeless. Tampa area looked nice for retirement but community I tried is forced to restrict use of clubhouse and pool because they become overrun by the homeless. I allow a local laborer I met at Mcds to stay a couple of nights a week in a vacant room, pays when he can. The rest of the time he sleeps in the woods. He is an American born Navy vet.

Doesn't say much for the Navy/Federal govt?

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #17692 on: August 02, 2019, 05:12:18 AM »

That should not be allowed.
Private property?
Gated community?
Where are the cops?

barton

« Reply #17693 on: August 02, 2019, 09:07:37 AM »

If you don’t want to be irrelevant you shouldn’t let Bill Barr write your campaign ads. Buhbye.

https://twitter.com/tulsigabbard/status/1111386620698083329?s=21

They should have turned the wind machine up some more, for that ad...so it's clear that she walked off a cliff. 

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #17694 on: August 02, 2019, 09:29:47 AM »

https://www.sciencealert.com/greenland-ice-sheet-just-poured-197-billion-tons-of-water-to-the-ocean-in-july

This, plus Arctic wildfires, drying rivers in India and the Middle East, record deadly temps in Europe...really feels like the Earth has passed a point of no return.

I'd say well at least we have 5 to 10 years of our deregulation fueled economic boom to enjoy before ecological disaster cuts into economic growth, but, you know, strangely that promised boom never materialized and instead the Fed is cutting rates to try to head off the next downturn.

Oh well.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #17695 on: August 02, 2019, 09:45:20 AM »

President Trump on Hong Kong:

Well, something is probably happening with Hong Kong because when you look at, you know, whats going on, they've had riots for a long period of time.  And I don't know what China's attitude is.  Somebody said that at some point they're going to want to stop that.  But that's between Hong Kong and that's between China, because Hong Kong is a part of China.  They'll have to deal with that themselves.

The defenders of Trump will say this statement is representative of a hands-off America first foreign policy approach.  Agree or disagree with that approach, though (and not, the US used to be a pro-Democracy advocate globally, before it refused to even safeguard its own Democracy) it is possible to be hands-off without sounding like a clueless idiot.  You are the fucking President of the United States (thats your title, anyway) "something is probably happening" and "I don't know what China's attitude is" for fucks sake, sit in a fucking briefing and pay attention to it.   And calling them "riots" when they are pro-democracy protests is an appalling thing for the leader of the free world to say. 

Also love how he points out Hong Kong is a part of China.  Reductive, but thanks for pointing that out Mr. "President."  One of those things he assumes people don't know because he was just told it five minutes ago.

If you aren't thoroughly ashamed of the man we elected to run this country, you aren't paying enough attention.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 09:47:04 AM by NeedsAdjustments »
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

barton

« Reply #17696 on: August 02, 2019, 09:59:21 AM »

The cost of the warming planet will not be just that of building seawalls or moving coastal towns or irrigating desertified croplands or keeping salt out of groundwater.  It will also be the cost of handling mass migrations from zones, sometimes whole nations, that have become uninhabitable. 

People on dangerous boat crossings from Morroco to Spain, or coming from C.America to seek admittance at our southern border, is just a gentle sprinkle compared to the deluge to come.  Building catchment basins and reservoirs in Guatemala is a better investment of our money than giant walls. 

I live in a state that's noted for getting over 70% of its power from renewable energy sources (wind, hydro).  How long will that last if everyone here, in a state where many homes don't have or need central AC, decide they need it as summers become more like, say, Oklahoma summers?  We could handle that shift with more windfarms (we always have plenty of wind), if we start planning for that now and don't let the fossil fuel boosters be the loudest voices. 

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #17697 on: August 02, 2019, 10:15:36 AM »

Not gated, one entrance but that was what I have been told. I feel safe on the grounds but asked about the non-use of the clubhouse.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17698 on: August 02, 2019, 10:23:46 AM »

Stop it already

Says the guy who keeps posting fundraising letters as if they are news briefs.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17699 on: August 02, 2019, 10:56:51 AM »

On the plus side:
https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/02/economy/july-jobs-report/index.html

Slower, but steady job growth, described as what you would expect 10 years into a growth cycle. Further, the number of part timers who wish they were full timers declined by more than 300,000, while the unemploment rate including those discouraged job hunters declined to 7%, the lowest since 2000.

The time it took to get a new job also declined to the lowest period of this economic cycle.
Pages: 1 ... 1178 1179 [1180] 1181 1182 ... 4288