Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2800 2801 [2802] 2803 2804 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1629655 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42015 on: July 09, 2020, 12:41:45 PM »

The NH rally is still set for Saturday.
A "mostly outdoor venue" and masks are supposedly encouraged.  We'll see what the turnout is and whether Trumpeters wear masks.

Actually after the Tulsa fiasco and virus transmission being linked to that non-masked event, the Trump campaign probably needs to encourage mask wearing to avoid liability.  And while they are trying to make sure attendees don't sue, what about attendees family members who get it form someone who got the virus at the rally.

From the rally website:
By registering for this event, you understand and expressly acknowledge that an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. In attending the event, you and any guests voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19, and waive, release, and discharge Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.; Portsmouth International Airport at Pease; or any of their affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, or volunteers from any and all liability under any theory, whether in negligence or otherwise, for any illness or injury.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 01:07:28 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #42016 on: July 09, 2020, 12:42:41 PM »

The problem for Biden in these debates will be the same exact one he faced when he debated Palin.  No one expected her to know what she was talking about, so when she pretended to be 1/4 competent (and I'm being generous) it was declared a victory for her.

I don't think that really works after you've been running the country for 3.5 years.

You would think so, but you'd be wrong.

The guy holds what was unmistakably a White Nationalist rally at Mount Rushmore and the headline from even the NYTimes was "Trump revises his American Carnage docterine" or some bullshit like that. 

The media normalizes what would be at any other time for any other person totally screamingly unfit behavior for a President by sifting through a two hour long speech full of garbage and publishing the few lines that maybe could be said to be the product of some larger thinking or strategy, instead of saying the truth; the few times Trump said something coherent it was an accident, and the best part of his speech was when he drank a glass of water.

Trump has benefited from low expectations his entire Administration, all 3.5 years, in even more material ways.  Take, for example, how a third of Congressional Republicans who voted against his removal said they did so because Trump was too stupid to know he was doing something wrong, and that post-impeachment he had "learned his lesson."  Now, we know those same Republicans wouldn't have voted for Impeachment anyway, but think about the meaning behind that smokescreen, and ask yourself if it would have been deployed for any President in our history.

Nope.  Not even for Bush.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42017 on: July 09, 2020, 12:46:11 PM »

An on-target kick to the nuts to the cowards of the Repubs from the powerful leg of the Lincoln Project

LEARN. THEIR . NAMES

Its a powerful minute of truth

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1280961056261767168

perhaps someone more agile could post the video here

I'd need access to the site code to install a mod which would allow it and I am pretty sure our fearless owner won't let me do it.

You could try downloading the video and then attaching it, but I doubt that would do it. (Otherwise, I would have done it when I posted that link.)

Or you could just go to YouTube and grab it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vZp3FAQZvU

He meant embed it, Larry, the way we do images.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42018 on: July 09, 2020, 12:55:18 PM »

Ohio Gov Mike DeWine has ordered masks for 7 northeast Ohio counties to stop the spread of Covid-19

Better late than never.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2020/07/read-ohio-gov-mike-dewines-county-mask-order-here.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Gov. Mike DeWine’s order that people in seven counties, including the homes of Cleveland, Cincinnati and Columbus, wear masks in public went into effect at 6 p.m. Wednesday.

While DeWine announced the order Tuesday, the full text was released about 7 p.m. Wednesday, an hour after it took effect. You can read the full order here affecting Cuyahoga, Butler, Franklin, Hamilton, Huron, Montgomery and Trumbull counties.

The state said people in these counties must wear masks in public places because they have a high level of coronavirus spread. Masks can help prevent the spread coronavirus by blocking respiratory droplets produced when people talk, cough or sneeze.

Under the order, Ohions in the seven counties must wear masks inside any indoor space that is not a home and outside when they can’t stay six feet away from people outside their household. The order also requires masks when waiting for or using public transit, car services, or ride shares.

I understand Red is ready to roll and mask up.

And?

if you gotta explain 'em

it means you're talking to kid.

heh

its THE Ohio State helmet with mask

you think Jim-Red would be cough (sic, very sic) dead in Michigan gear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT9Hk-KUA24
I believe jimm lives in Toledo, which is Lucas County which is not on the list.

Boz-I don't know where Jim-Red lives, but I thought he spent half the year in Columbus and half in Berlin. maybe we should lift the Utley ban to get a definitive answer.

Unnecessary for multiple reasons.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42019 on: July 09, 2020, 12:59:21 PM »

The NH rally is still set for Saturday.
A "mostly outdoor venue" and masks are supposedly encouraged.  We'll see what the turnout is and whether Trumpeters wear masks.

From the rally website:
By registering for this event, you understand and expressly acknowledge that an inherent risk of exposure to COVID-19 exists in any public place where people are present. In attending the event, you and any guests voluntarily assume all risks related to exposure to COVID-19, and waive, release, and discharge Donald J. Trump for President, Inc.; Portsmouth International Airport at Pease; or any of their affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, or volunteers from any and all liability under any theory, whether in negligence or otherwise, for any illness or injury.

It remains ill-advised. And while the organizers of the event claim to be promoting mask usage, the president still is not. The refusal of either the governor or the mayor to do so is a failure of leadership - Sununu knows this and is otherwise staying far away from this potential debacle. "I may have the chance to meet with him, while he is here, but it won't be at the rally." and "I am not going to put myself in the middle" of a huge bunch of people.

The campaign has zero idea what to expect in terms of attendance.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #42020 on: July 09, 2020, 12:59:41 PM »

An on-target kick to the nuts to the cowards of the Repubs from the powerful leg of the Lincoln Project

LEARN. THEIR . NAMES

Its a powerful minute of truth

https://twitter.com/ProjectLincoln/status/1280961056261767168

perhaps someone more agile could post the video here

I'd need access to the site code to install a mod which would allow it and I am pretty sure our fearless owner won't let me do it.

You could try downloading the video and then attaching it, but I doubt that would do it. (Otherwise, I would have done it when I posted that link.)

Or you could just go to YouTube and grab it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vZp3FAQZvU

He meant embed it, Larry, the way we do images.

Yup. The ease and ability to watch it in the comfort of Elba.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42021 on: July 09, 2020, 01:00:24 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/09/health/hand-sanitizer-methanol-fda-trnd/index.html

This is a warning about two dozen types of hand sanitizers that are dangerous.

barton

« Reply #42022 on: July 09, 2020, 01:01:43 PM »

This is the big news story where I live in Indian country....

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that nearly half of Oklahoma falls within an Indian reservation, a decision that could reshape the criminal-justice system by preventing state authorities from prosecuting offenses there that involve Native Americans.

The 5-to-4 decision, potentially one of the most consequential legal victories for Native Americans in decades, could have far-reaching implications for the 1.8 million people who live across what is now deemed “Indian Country” by the high court. The lands include much of Tulsa, Oklahoma’s second-biggest city.

The case was steeped in the United States government’s long history of brutal removals and broken treaties with Indigenous tribes, and grappled with whether lands of the Muscogee (Creek) Nation had remained a reservation after Oklahoma became a state.

Justice Neil M. Gorsuch, a Westerner who has sided with tribes in previous cases and joined the court’s more liberal members, said that Congress had granted the Creek a reservation, and that the United States needed to abide by its promises.

“Today we are asked whether the land these treaties promised remains an Indian reservation for purposes of federal criminal law,” Justice Neil M. Gorsuch wrote. “Because Congress has not said otherwise, we hold the government to its word.”

Muscogee leaders hailed the decision as a hard-fought victory that clarified the status of their lands. The tribe said it would work with state and federal law-enforcement authorities to coordinate public safety within the reservation.

“This is a historic day,” Principal Chief David Hill said in an interview. “This is amazing. It’s never too late to make things right.”

But Chief Justice John G. Roberts warned in a dissenting opinion that the Court had sown confusion in the state’s criminal-justice system and “profoundly destabilized” the state government’s powers in eastern Oklahoma.

“The State’s ability to prosecute serious crimes will be hobbled and decades of past convictions could well be thrown out,” Justice Roberts wrote.  “The decision today creates significant uncertainty for the State’s continuing authority over any area that touches Indian affairs, ranging from zoning and taxation to family and environmental law.” 

(NYT, today)

Really interesting to see Gorsuch aligning with the liberal justices so frequently these days. 

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #42023 on: July 09, 2020, 01:02:29 PM »

Ohio Gov Mike DeWine has ordered masks for 7 northeast Ohio counties to stop the spread of Covid-19

Better late than never.

https://www.cleveland.com/metro/2020/07/read-ohio-gov-mike-dewines-county-mask-order-here.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Gov. Mike DeWine’s order that people in seven counties, including the homes of Cleveland, Cincinnati and Columbus, wear masks in public went into effect at 6 p.m. Wednesday.

While DeWine announced the order Tuesday, the full text was released about 7 p.m. Wednesday, an hour after it took effect. You can read the full order here affecting Cuyahoga, Butler, Franklin, Hamilton, Huron, Montgomery and Trumbull counties.

The state said people in these counties must wear masks in public places because they have a high level of coronavirus spread. Masks can help prevent the spread coronavirus by blocking respiratory droplets produced when people talk, cough or sneeze.

Under the order, Ohions in the seven counties must wear masks inside any indoor space that is not a home and outside when they can’t stay six feet away from people outside their household. The order also requires masks when waiting for or using public transit, car services, or ride shares.

I understand Red is ready to roll and mask up.

And?

if you gotta explain 'em

it means you're talking to kid.

heh

its THE Ohio State helmet with mask

you think Jim-Red would be cough (sic, very sic) dead in Michigan gear?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OT9Hk-KUA24
I believe jimm lives in Toledo, which is Lucas County which is not on the list.

Boz-I don't know where Jim-Red lives, but I thought he spent half the year in Columbus and half in Berlin. maybe we should lift the Utley ban to get a definitive answer.

Unnecessary for multiple reasons.

Really?

heh.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42024 on: July 09, 2020, 01:16:42 PM »

This is the big news story where I live in Indian country....

WASHINGTON — The Supreme Court on Thursday ruled that nearly half of Oklahoma falls within an Indian reservation, a decision that could reshape the criminal-justice system by preventing state authorities from prosecuting offenses there that involve Native Americans.

Really interesting to see Gorsuch aligning with the liberal justices so frequently these days.

It's a huge story anywhere there is a violated treaty.

And this was the outcome I hoped for, thinking it was possible because Gorsuch has been very consistent on Native rights and how they have been violated repeatedly (as his opinion notes).

I haven't read the dissent, but the point by point, short version of the opinion was spot on. I loved Oklahoma's effort to claim that it wasn't a reservation, since the word wasn't used. Mind you, that is the sort of argument all too many court cases hang on, but not this time!

I expect the Tribe and the state will be back in this court again, because I am sure Oklahoma is not going to want to go along with what the Muscogee wish to do.

But... there have to be a bunch of state AGs and city solicitors staring at this decision and going, "Oh, fuck."

And about time!

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42025 on: July 09, 2020, 01:20:40 PM »

On a day with a new job’s report and a new offering from the always reliable Rasmussen, why aren’t our right winger trump fluffers touting the incredible numbers trump is achieving by way of all his good work?
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42028 on: July 09, 2020, 01:40:33 PM »

The guy holds what was unmistakably a White Nationalist rally at Mount Rushmore and the headline from even the NYTimes was "Trump revises his American Carnage doctrine" or some bullshit like that. 

Actually the headlines I saw were of the variety Trump Hammers at Racial Divide in July 4th speech.

Trump stokes national divisions in Fourth of July speech
- CNBC

At Mt. Rushmore, Trump uses Fourth of July celebration to stoke a culture war
- LA Times

Trump Pushes Racial Division at Mt. Rushmore Speech | Time
https://time.com/5862857/trump-mt-rushmore-speech-fourth-of-july

Trump pushes racial division, flouts virus rules at Mount Rushmore
Chicago Sun Times

Trump to Celebrate White Supremacy With 4th of July at Mount Rushmore
MSN - Jessica Mason  6/25/2020

Democrats: Trump’s July 4 Rally at Mt. Rushmore a White Supremacist Event
- New American

Coverage of Trump really changed in the lead up to impeachment.  Finally the AP and other news outlets were calling out Trump lies and being more forceful in countering his nonsense, while spending much less time on what Trump tweeted and the WH official spin/press release which was usually just partisan bilge.

Really the media has approached Trump differently since about October last year and this has accelerated with the Virus and all its harm.  I don't think Trump gets a pass anymore and his distractions aren't working either. 

The prime example would be the way that the stroll in the park to the Bible holding was covered.  Trump got ripped from so many directions on that that his whole charade was marginalized to the point of irrelevance.  Violence against peaceful protesters, lying about gassing them, could have just waited 30 mins until curfew, held the Bible like a retard, didn't go into the Church (because didn't actually give a crap about religious sentiment), had military personnel with him including one in combat fatigues, the whole stunt was a reaction to the leak that Trump scurried to the underground shelter a couple days earlier, etc.

The days of Trump having his words dominate and go unchallenged, and receiving neutral of positive press is long gone.  the press smells blood and they don't like the shitshow they've been subjected to, including Trump calling them the enemy of the people.  Trump's going down and everyone wants to get their kicks in ...

« Last Edit: July 09, 2020, 02:08:19 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42029 on: July 09, 2020, 01:45:52 PM »

The President is not a happy man, today.

I wondered how he would take these decisions.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump?ref_src=twsrc%5Egoogle%7Ctwcamp%5Eserp%7Ctwgr%5Eauthor

Read bottom to top:

Donald J. Trump’s Tweets
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
1h
POLITICAL WITCH HUNT!
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
2h
We have a totally corrupt previous Administration, including a President and Vice President who spied on my campaign, AND GOT CAUGHT...and nothing happens to them. This crime was taking place even before my election, everyone knows it, and yet all are frozen stiff with fear....
Show this thread
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
2h
Replying to
@realDonaldTrump
...Won all against the Federal Government and the Democrats send everything to politically corrupt New York, which is falling apart with everyone leaving, to give it a second, third and fourth try. Now the Supreme Court gives a delay ruling that they would never have given...
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
2h
....for another President. This is about PROSECUTORIAL MISCONDUCT. We catch the other side SPYING on my campaign, the biggest political crime and scandal in U.S. history, and NOTHING HAPPENS. But despite this, I have done more than any President in history in first 3 1/2 years!
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
3h
Courts in the past have given “broad deference”. BUT NOT ME!
Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
·
3h
The Supreme Court sends case back to Lower Court, arguments to continue. This is all a political prosecution. I won the Mueller Witch Hunt, and others, and now I have to keep fighting in a politically corrupt New York. Not fair to this Presidency or Administration!
Pages: 1 ... 2800 2801 [2802] 2803 2804 ... 4288