Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 2929

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 764187 times)

luee

• View Profile
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #6465 on: May 03, 2021, 05:55:19 PM »

Nancee likes her cheap servants and the sisters are not used to a stable economy and housing for the poor.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6466 on: May 03, 2021, 06:24:46 PM »

Any one who can read can see there is popcorn in a bag labeled ICE

Yes, Larry, it's popcorn, not ICE. 

But NOT the point.

Understand that quoting a case is not the same as making a case any more than saying that a bag of popcorn is ice.

Labeling a bag as "ice", when clearly it is popcorn is the same as saying you're offended when a fellow student quotes directly from legal opinion, including the epithet, when discussing a case.  Hearing only the word ice when the discussion is about popcorn is the same as hearing only the slur contained within the quotation.

And it's fucking stupid to do so.

But doubling down on being stupid was that 1L's then taking time to set about circulating a petition that they later claimed they can't discuss because they didn't have time. They had time to attempt to paint someone as being willfully insensitive and potentially a racist, but they didn't have time to discuss why they took such action?

YOU not getting these simple points is YOU choosing to be offended or YOU choosing to be fucking stupid.

Or....Maybe it's fatigue on your part, or confused thinking as both are among the symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes.

Better run along and check your blood sugar.  And btw, popcorn is one of the best snacks a diabetic can eat.

Bon appetit, Orville.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6467 on: May 03, 2021, 06:26:17 PM »

(CNN) — 
---The Biden administration will raise the refugee ceiling to 62,500 people this fiscal year, the White House confirmed, after receiving swift criticism last month when President Joe Biden kept the lower Trump-era cap in place.

“I am revising the United States’ annual refugee admissions cap to 62,500---

Chicken Joe had it right the first time. Who is pushing for more anchor babies except Nancee and the sisters from a different mother? He just dropped from a high A to an F in a lot of peoples mind.
Not to mention sending thousands more legal immigrants to the GOP voting rolls.

That kind of bullshit interpretation sounds like it comes from Florida or a boggy collegiate shower room.

Red is right in thinking GOP popularity rises the less experience the audience has living with the actual GOP. The stank bastards are getting locked out increasingly more frequently by Americans than they are being let in. Those dogs can fuck each other in the street. It doesn’t hurt the country nearly as much as when they pretend they can stand up on hind legs and run the place.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6468 on: May 03, 2021, 06:30:47 PM »

But NOT the point.

Understand that quoting a case is not the same as making a case any more than saying that a bag of popcorn is ice.

Labeling a bag as "ice", when clearly it is popcorn is the same as saying you're offended when a fellow student quotes directly from legal opinion, including the epithet, when discussing a case.  Hearing only the word ice when the discussion is about popcorn is the same as hearing only the slur contained within the quotation.

But doubling down on being stupid was that 1L's then taking time to set about circulating a petition that they later claimed they can't discuss because they didn't have time. They had time to attempt to paint someone as being willfully insensitive and potentially a racist, but they didn't have time to discuss why they took such action?

YOU not getting these simple points is YOU choosing to be offended or YOU choosing to be fucking stupid.

Or....Maybe it's fatigue on your part, or confused thinking as both are among the symptoms of Type 2 Diabetes.

Better run along and check your blood sugar.  And btw, popcorn is one of the best snacks a diabetic can eat.

Bon appetit, Orville.

I should be paying you rent, schmuck.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6469 on: May 03, 2021, 06:31:20 PM »

Someone here is proclaiming himself an expert on doubling down on being stupid. There is no question he has provided ample evidence of his experience working extensively in the area of his purported expertise. I’m curious as to what observations he’s amassed in his years of practice. I’m confident he will find it in his heart to continue to share the fruits of his endeavors with us.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6470 on: May 03, 2021, 06:40:26 PM »

Someone here is proclaiming himself an expert on doubling down on being stupid. There is no question he has provided ample evidence of his experience working extensively in the area of his purported expertise. I’m curious as to what observations he’s amassed in his years of practice. I’m confident he will find it in his heart to continue to share the fruits of his endeavors with us.

He will swear the 1862 Battle of Memphis was of more consequence than the invasion of Normandy in 1944.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6472 on: May 03, 2021, 06:42:29 PM »

“The most interesting part
of Mitt Romney getting booed
by the Utah GOP
is in 2012
when he finally resorted to birtherism
on the campaign trail
& helped legitimize
the culture of disinformation narratives
that now boos him.”

John Fugelsang

Lyndon Johnson

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6473 on: May 03, 2021, 06:51:59 PM »

But NOT the point.

Bon appetit, Orville.

I should be paying you rent, schmuck.

You should be grateful to be alive and relatively well. You should focus on what you have.

But you never do.

You focus on being a victim, even taking on others victimhood.
Read this: https://madamenoire.com/1080935/the-psychology-behind-people-who-are-always-offended/
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Oi!

• View Profile
« Reply #6474 on: May 03, 2021, 06:54:37 PM »

Is it okay to agree with Uno on the use of slurs in quotations from transcripts or literature, without condoning his trolling remarks?   I hope so.   I think any word can be used in a context of scholarly endeavor or recounting a dark event,  without it being any sort of approval of that word as a slur.  If someone is really getting stressed out by a word,  can't functional adults agree  on ground rules like "we will just refer to that epithet as the N-word, " or similar.?   Why do things have to get so heated in academic situations when everyone is making a good faith attempt to give respect?   Most slipups in life don't call for mass public shamings and worse.
Im on the pavement

Thinking about the government

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #6475 on: May 03, 2021, 07:05:53 PM »

Whether you do or don’t agree with that particular point, Uno will continue to double down on stupid.

I tend to agree with you that limiting speech is rarely a good idea, especially in academic circles, but there especially, if you say anything definitive be ready to face and handle a potentially overheated and protracted response.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #6476 on: May 03, 2021, 07:14:08 PM »

I think most of us believe the gratuitous use of the "N" word is deeply offensive, and generally is meant to offend or insult, so most of us don't use it.

But I'm not sure what point or goal the Rutgers Law Schools students are making or hope to achieve when they want the usage of the word caged. Should the original author of the legal opinion be damned, lose his/her job, or face disbarment for use of the word? Or should the student quoting the opinion, be publicly shamed?

WAKE UP!

Coincidently I watched some of Tarantino's Django Unchained last night, not his best work, but pretty good. I bet those Rutgers students could work up a sweat pounding the table to get QT to rewrite that script. But should he? Should they?

There are real problems in the world, and ones far more important for the future Rutgers lawyers to be enraged by and over-bill clients over.

I'm not going to kill hours researching this, but how many lit courses or film history courses are taught at universities dealing with hurtful and insulting racial stereotypes and prejudice. Can they show film clips, or quote Groucho or Chaucer, or Shakespeare, without starting a campus demonstration? 

Too fucking woke.

WAKE UP

facilitatorn

• View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6478 on: May 03, 2021, 07:23:26 PM »

Is it okay to agree with Uno on the use of slurs in quotations from transcripts or literature, without condoning his trolling remarks?   I hope so.   I think any word can be used in a context of scholarly endeavor or recounting a dark event,  without it being any sort of approval of that word as a slur.  If someone is really getting stressed out by a word,  can't functional adults agree  on ground rules like "we will just refer to that epithet as the N-word, " or similar.?   Why do things have to get so heated in academic situations when everyone is making a good faith attempt to give respect?   Most slipups in life don't call for mass public shamings and worse.

Sure.

You can agree with that asshole all day long.

I don’t have a problem with academic discussion and I think those involved had pretty much worked out their understanding and the policy derived from the controversy appears to be fair minded.

My problem is with the ridiculous backlash UNO is dry humping trying desperately to get a Knut.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6479 on: May 03, 2021, 07:27:00 PM »

Django was a Tarantino wet dream.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 430 431 [432] 433 434 ... 2929