Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1336 1337 [1338] 1339 1340 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583832 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #20055 on: September 09, 2019, 11:57:09 AM »

At no point have I argued against her right to be armed. 

At no point have you acknowledged that there's a far greater likelihood that the gun will be used to kill her or her kids or her kids' friends than her using to kill " two male thugs breaking in armed with a knife [or guns]."

If you think the far greater chance of an innocent being killed by the gun is the mere cost of doing business then go ahead and say so.

The obvious answer is:
. Disarm everyone, no guns at all. None for hunting, none for farmers, none for gangsters, none for anyone. No handguns, no assault rifles...all guns gone.

Only army, cops etc to have guns.

Your brilliance is dizzying.

Isn't that what you want?

Isn't what what I want?

For only police/military to have guns?

Or for you to be brilliant?

For only police/military to have guns.

Nope.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20056 on: September 09, 2019, 11:57:49 AM »

We should keep some guns around to scare off Australian squatter types. They are repulsive and too dense to manage a conversation.

——edit——

I guess we could use really big dogs instead of guns.

Or women.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20057 on: September 09, 2019, 12:00:08 PM »

https://politi.co/2A4gYpy?fbclid=IwAR2qf3Kz1syrwefcWErWHrURp4UnpQwcFjXgLVzB-fqBkgtq4CCxxc_tdj8

Jerry Falwell and Liberty University - not a match made in Heaven, it seems.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #20059 on: September 09, 2019, 12:21:37 PM »

Where exactly is this Islamic Caliphate returning from? 

From 1996 to 2001, the Taliban held power over roughly three quarters of Afghanistan, and enforced there a strict interpretation of Sharia, or Islamic law. ... It held control of most of the country until being overthrown after the American-led invasion of Afghanistan in December 2001 following the September 11 attacks.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #20060 on: September 09, 2019, 12:28:14 PM »

https://politi.co/2A4gYpy?fbclid=IwAR2qf3Kz1syrwefcWErWHrURp4UnpQwcFjXgLVzB-fqBkgtq4CCxxc_tdj8

At bottom conservatism is a generations long grift...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #20061 on: September 09, 2019, 12:31:59 PM »

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/09/06/air-force-trump-scottish-retreat-1484337?utm_campaign=news-alert&utm_medium=email&utm_source=nuzzel&fbclid=IwAR0JJEcowpsf-KLIsstQPHeHZ0fj8AL7b5Xsf2cK8npyZyrc0jK8-ojNUfU

In early Spring of this year, an Air National Guard crew made a routine trip from the U.S. to Kuwait to deliver supplies.

What wasn’t routine was where the crew stopped along the way: President Donald Trump’s Turnberry resort, about 50 miles outside Glasgow, Scotland.

Since April, the House Oversight Committee has been investigating why the crew on the C-17 military transport plane made the unusual stay — both en route to the Middle East and on the way back — at the luxury waterside resort, according to several people familiar with the incident. But they have yet to receive any answers from the Pentagon.

The inquiry is part of a broader, previously unreported probe into U.S. military expenditures at and around the Trump property in Scotland. According to a letter the panel sent to the Pentagon in June, the military has spent $11 million on fuel at the Prestwick Airport — the closest airport to Trump Turnberry — since October 2017, fuel that would be cheaper if purchased at a U.S. military base. The letter also cites a Guardian report that the airport provided cut-rate rooms and free rounds of golf at Turnberry for U.S. military members.

Taken together, the incidents raise the possibility that the military has helped keep Trump’s Turnberry resort afloat — the property lost $4.5 million in 2017, but revenue went up $3 million in 2018.

“The Defense Department has not produced a single document in this investigation,” said a senior Democratic aide on the oversight panel. “The committee will be forced to consider alternative steps if the Pentagon does not begin complying voluntarily in the coming days.”

Some updates:  More than one crew has been staying overnight at Turnberry it has been discovered, the Air Force has opened an internal inquiry, and the US Military spending at a struggling airport that Turnberry needs to survive is actually closer to $16 million.

This on top of the corruption that happens daily when individuals, entities, or nations use spending at Trump properties to gain influence with our "president."

And an update on what the crew here that gave us daily breathless check-ins on the status on Hillary Clinton and the Clinton Foundation probes that didn't ultimately go anywhere: they have had zero to say about this.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #20062 on: September 09, 2019, 12:32:33 PM »

At bottom conservatism is a generations long grift...

At top, too.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

oilcan

« Reply #20063 on: September 09, 2019, 12:46:35 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICW-dGD1M18&feature=youtu.be&fbclid=IwAR1fNiEHo2QXDHNtJdwnELxiWwJ-K2JIqWR4zAoo1xvePcgWoanuFWi6wlU

Valerie Plame for Congress!

I think she would represent the Island of New Mexico quite well. 

A response to Bart's end-of-democracy paper:  This decline is very much dependent on a decline in education.  If you have schools that just train kids to be authority-worshipping drones, then democracy is over.  I sometimes wonder that it lasted this long.  It might help if we switched to a parliamentary system, where it's a lot easier to expel a lousy President (Prime Minister).  But without the House of Lords.  Essentially, we would have the House, and Speaker would be the PM.

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #20064 on: September 09, 2019, 02:18:21 PM »

Photo Bucket is a horrible company, do not use their service.

Photo Bucket used to be free, like You Tube and Facebook, but then they got greedy and they wanted people to pay for their service, and they held your photos and videos hostage until you paid.

I lost photos and videos that cannot be replaced, of people who are no longer with us. But, I was not about to pay for their service, and I was not going to reward that type of behavior.

Now, they are saying that I went over the storage capacity that you are allowed to receive for free, and they are telling me that I need to pay. And of course they are threatening to water mark my photos, and they are threatening to lock me out of viewing and sharing my videos, etc. And I have not been able to view my stuff on there for a long time anyway. They suck, they are holding my photos and videos hostage, and I am not about to pay them anything even though I will lose stuff that I cannot replace.

Photo Bucket sucks; do not use them.

Salute,

Tony V.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20065 on: September 09, 2019, 02:58:07 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20066 on: September 09, 2019, 03:03:11 PM »

Photo Bucket is a horrible company, do not use their service.

Photo Bucket used to be free, like You Tube and Facebook, but then they got greedy and they wanted people to pay for their service, and they held your photos and videos hostage until you paid.

I'm sorry to hear you had that experience, Tony.

I'm a photobucket user and they have not done that to me. As you've apparently lost some stuff there, can you write to them to seek assistance in getting it back?

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20067 on: September 09, 2019, 03:35:24 PM »

https://www.commondreams.org/news/2019/09/09/poverty-america-literal-death-sentence-says-sanders-following-devastating-gao-report?utm_campaign=shareaholic&utm_medium=referral&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR19nwNpVEmZXZaXgyR86rrQpT9obs9f--EWAPrajd3jt3D2HfvBflKuB88

Poverty in America a Literal 'Death Sentence,' Says Sanders, Following Devastating GAO Report
"If we do not urgently act to solve the economic distress of millions of Americans, a whole generation will be condemned to early death."

What GAO report?

https://www.gao.gov/products/GAO-19-587

RETIREMENT SECURITY:
Income and Wealth Disparities Continue through Old Age

Figure 2: Estimated Proportion of Older Americans Ages 51 to 61 in 1992 Still Living in 2014, by Mid-Career Household Earnings

Josh notes: 30% fewer people in the bottom quintile of the 1992 cohort survived to 2014 than in the top quintile.

otes: Older Americans ages 51 to 61 in 1992 were ages 73 to 83 in 2014. GAO defined mid-career household earnings based on earnings reported to the Social Security Administration for years when the survey respondents were ages 41 through 50, as well the earnings of their spouses or partners during those years if the respondents were part of a couple in 1992. GAO ranked these households by their mid-career household earnings and broke them into five equally sized groups, or quintiles. The proportion of individuals alive in 2014 was estimated using a Kaplan-Meier survival analysis.

GAO's analysis of HRS data also found that disparities in household income decreased while disparities in wealth persisted as a cohort of older Americans aged from approximately their 50s into their 70s or early 80s. Income disparities decreased between higher- and lower-earning households because higher-earning households saw larger drops in income over time, indicating the possible transition from working to retirement. For example, we estimated median income for the top mid-career earnings group decreased by 53 percent while estimated median income for the bottom earnings group decreased by 36 percent over the same period. Wealth remained relatively steady for households in the bottom three earnings groups over the time period GAO examined, while households in the top two earnings groups experienced larger fluctuations in wealth. GAO estimated that median retirement account balances and median home equity increased across earnings groups for households that had these assets. However, the continued wealth disparities may be due to significant differences in the median value of retirement accounts and home equity between higher- and lower-earning households. GAO also found that white households in the bottom two earnings groups had higher estimated median incomes, and white households in all earnings groups generally had greater estimated median wealth, than racial minority households in those earnings groups. In addition, within each earnings group, households headed by someone with at least some college education generally had higher median incomes and wealth than households headed by someone who did not attend college.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2019, 03:54:34 PM by josh »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20068 on: September 09, 2019, 03:58:26 PM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20069 on: September 09, 2019, 04:20:56 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 1336 1337 [1338] 1339 1340 ... 4288