Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2238 2239 [2240] 2241 2242 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2010684 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #33585 on: May 07, 2020, 01:50:01 PM »

If the pandemic fails to wane seasonally as the weather warms, the study warns, the virus could undergo further mutations even as research organizations prepare the first medical treatments and vaccines. Without getting on top of the risk now, the effectiveness of vaccines could be limited.

Even if the new strain is no more dangerous than the others, it could still complicate efforts to bring the pandemic under control. That would be an issue if the mutation makes the virus so different from earlier strains that people who have immunity to them would not be immune to the new version.

If that is indeed the case, it could make “individuals susceptible to a second infection,” the study authors wrote.
\

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2020-05-05/mutant-coronavirus-has-emerged-more-contagious-than-original
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33586 on: May 07, 2020, 01:59:28 PM »

If I sound jealous, it's because I was. Yet, I was also conflicted. How nice it would have been to wander over, pull up a chair and enjoy a beer. But I also knew the death rate in Sweden is now significantly higher than many other countries in Europe, with 2,500 dead

The folks out livin' in Sweden ain't the ones dyin'

90% are over age 70

Just 300 of the 3000 that have dies are 69 or younger

They have the same nursing home problem as the US - maybe not even as bad.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/06/europe/sweden-coronavirus-diary-shukla/index.html
Old people? Fuck 'em! They will die soon enough, 'miright?

Not nearly the matter at all

And I don't think the nursing home deaths are due to the open policy
Of course you don't.

Don't you think 300 is a SMALL number to have died from this across the Swedish nation, among the "younger" set

Get all the facts next time, fact guy.
OK, I will play for a bit. Tell me what you think explains why elderly deaths in Sweden are wo monumentally high compared to other Scandanavian countries, I mean other than that in the other countries their visitors are severely restricted and their care givers in lock down mode and in Sweden they are not. What other reason do you have in mind?
A parrot bit me.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33587 on: May 07, 2020, 02:04:09 PM »

If I sound jealous, it's because I was. Yet, I was also conflicted. How nice it would have been to wander over, pull up a chair and enjoy a beer. But I also knew the death rate in Sweden is now significantly higher than many other countries in Europe, with 2,500 dead

90% are over age 70

Just 300 of the 3000 that have dies are 69 or younger

Not nearly the matter at all

And I don't think the nursing home deaths are due to the open policy

Don't you think 300 is a SMALL number to have died from this across the Swedish nation, among the "younger" set?

Get all the facts next time, fact guy.

No.

In Sweden, "in the age group 45–84 years, 19 percent are obese, compared to 8 percent among 16–29-year-olds."

In the US, "the prevalence of obesity was 40.0% among young adults aged 20 to 39 years, 44.8% among middle-aged adults aged 40 to 59 years, and 42.8% among older adults aged 60 and older." And "obesity prevalence was 13.9% among 2- to 5-year-olds, 18.4% among 6- to 11-year-olds, and 20.6% among 12- to 19-year-olds. Childhood obesity is also more common among certain populations."

Nor are these all the facts, but they are facts which explain part of why Sweden's numbers are lower than had we done the same thing they did.

Instead of the 10% you see in Sweden, the US is at ~28%. Why? Because 97% of ours have underlying conditions and that blows away the percentage with underlying conditions in Sweden. Just more facts.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33588 on: May 07, 2020, 02:06:03 PM »

90% are over age 70

No one above the age of 70 is really living life?

Coming from someone who 100% was screaming "death panels!" at the ACA 10 years ago.

Nah.  Wasn't me.  Like you Negros, we ain't all alike.

And no.  The over 70 crowd isn't really represented in those out working and going to school in Sweden.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

kidcarter8

• View Profile

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #33590 on: May 07, 2020, 02:24:55 PM »

90% are over age 70

Coming from someone who 100% was screaming "death panels!" at the ACA 10 years ago.

And no.  The over 70 crowd isn't really represented in those out working and going to school in Sweden.

Original text said nothing about going to school or working. It was about being at a bar or restaurant. Places you think 70 year olds don’t frequent. No. Those types are all in nursing homes. And therefore don’t count.

And whatever the comment about all being alike is supposed to mean, I know your posting personality well enough to know that the notion that you did not support Sarah Palin here is completely implausible.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33591 on: May 07, 2020, 02:25:19 PM »

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33592 on: May 07, 2020, 02:36:40 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/no-lockdown-in-sweden-but-stockholm-could-see-herd-immunity-in-weeks.html

Keys in this one:

Sweden does have restrictions, recommendations

Surrounding nation's have not as much testing to date

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33593 on: May 07, 2020, 02:37:21 PM »

Oh, look - Flynn case DROPPED.  Imagine that.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33594 on: May 07, 2020, 02:43:51 PM »

90% are over age 70

Original text said nothing about going to school or working. It was about being at a bar or restaurant. Places you think 70 year olds don’t frequent. No. Those types are all in nursing homes. And therefore don’t count.

And whatever the comment about all being alike is supposed to mean, I know your posting personality well enough to know that the notion that you did not support Sarah Palin here is completely implausible.

McCain wasn't my guy, as I have said so many times here.  I didn't really have much to say about that campaign.  I did praise Obama quite early on.  But voted for McCain

Not sure what Palin has to do with death panels.

Love watching GAME CHANGE whenever I get the chance
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:45:41 PM by kidcarter8 »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33595 on: May 07, 2020, 02:46:30 PM »

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/22/no-lockdown-in-sweden-but-stockholm-could-see-herd-immunity-in-weeks.html

Keys in this one:

Sweden does have restrictions, recommendations

Surrounding nation's have not as much testing to date

"not as much testing to date"
Tests per million
Sweden - 14,704
Denmark - 49,114
Norway - 35,406
Finland - 20,232

Clearly, not as much testing to date.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #33596 on: May 07, 2020, 02:56:19 PM »

News Item-
May 7

The Justice Department on Thursday reportedly dropped its case against former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, in a stunning development that comes after internal memos were released raising serious questions about the nature of the investigation that led to Flynn’s late 2017 guilty plea of lying to the FBI.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33597 on: May 07, 2020, 02:58:04 PM »

As for Russia...

In 5 days, they will have the 3rd most cases, in raw numbers. They'll be close to Singapore in cases per million, about 9th or 10th among countries with more than 1,000 cases. But their death rate continues to be very low - if it doulbed, the rate would be less than a 10th of ours (or Sweden's).

They are 19th in most tests/million, testing about 170,000 per day, according to the reports. The US is testing about 135,000 per day.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33598 on: May 07, 2020, 02:59:50 PM »

Hey, Kid - Apparently Ward doesn't pay attention to your posts, either.

News Item-
May 7

The Justice Department on Thursday reportedly dropped its case against former National Security Adviser Michael Flynn, in a stunning development that comes after internal memos were released raising serious questions about the nature of the investigation that led to Flynn’s late 2017 guilty plea of lying to the FBI.

Oh, look - Flynn case DROPPED.  Imagine that.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #33599 on: May 07, 2020, 03:04:06 PM »

Those numbers may be old.  But seems you are correct Josh

And it makes sense as the article says Sweden was doing most of their testing within the hospital setting.  As more outside and across the nation are tested the percents should diminish
Pages: 1 ... 2238 2239 [2240] 2241 2242 ... 4288