Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2559 2560 [2561] 2562 2563 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1868491 times)

Echo4

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38400 on: June 15, 2020, 12:56:32 PM »

The LGBT decision was not the only big decision today, with some of the biggest ones being punts/denials of cert.

U.S. Forest Service v. Cowpasture River Preservation Association concluded that the Forest Service had the power to permit building a pipeline across the Appalachian Trail, unfortunately but rationally. If the Forest Service owns the land, regardless of who is managing it, then it is their call. (7-2, Sotomayor and Kagan dissenting.)

Texas v. California is postponed, with a request for the view of the Solicitor General
Issues: (1) Whether the unconstitutional individual mandate to purchase minimum essential coverage is severable from the remainder of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act; and (2) whether the district court properly declared the ACA invalid in its entirety and unenforceable anywhere.

And the denials of cert:
All of the Qualified Immunity cases were kicked down the road. I expect that if QI doesn't get substantially reduced by Congress that it will by SCOTUS, but that they declined because Congress is currently involved in the discussion.

So, too, all of the 2nd Amendment cases. They permitted lots of restrictions to stand, including blocking of some interstate sale of guns and New Jersey's prevention of carrying handguns without specific reason.

And they denied cert for US v. California, allowing the lower court ruling to stand:
Whether provisions of California law that, with certain limited exceptions, prohibit state law-enforcement officials from providing federal immigration authorities with release dates and other information about individuals subject to federal immigration enforcement, and restrict the transfer of aliens in state custody to federal immigration custody, are preempted by federal law or barred by intergovernmental immunity.

Thomas and Alito dissented in the denial of cert. And SCOTUS has

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38401 on: June 15, 2020, 12:56:43 PM »

I take it you have gotten tired of joylessly masturbating to pictures of dead deer. Welcome back.

"Knives Out" has provided a handy new meme for RW trolls.
I have wanted to use that line for about two weeks. For some reason, I thought it would be Red. I still have "What did the masturbating Nazi say?"
When your real enemies prove too strong, choose weaker enemies.

- William of Baskerville

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38402 on: June 15, 2020, 12:57:24 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38403 on: June 15, 2020, 12:59:05 PM »

Trump interview with Scott Pelley:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4CKlTeZiqk
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38404 on: June 15, 2020, 12:59:53 PM »

The LGBT decision was not the only big decision today, with some of the biggest ones being punts/denials of cert.

U.S. Forest Service v. Cowpasture River Preservation Association concluded that the Forest Service had the power to permit building a pipeline across the Appalachian Trail, unfortunately but rationally. If the Forest Service owns the land, regardless of who is managing it, then it is their call. (7-2, Sotomayor and Kagan dissenting.)

Texas v. California is postponed, with a request for the view of the Solicitor General
Issues: (1) Whether the unconstitutional individual mandate to purchase minimum essential coverage is severable from the remainder of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act; and (2) whether the district court properly declared the ACA invalid in its entirety and unenforceable anywhere.

And the denials of cert:
All of the Qualified Immunity cases were kicked down the road. I expect that if QI doesn't get substantially reduced by Congress that it will by SCOTUS, but that they declined because Congress is currently involved in the discussion.

So, too, all of the 2nd Amendment cases. They permitted lots of restrictions to stand, including blocking of some interstate sale of guns and New Jersey's prevention of carrying handguns without specific reason.

And they denied cert for US v. California, allowing the lower court ruling to stand:
Whether provisions of California law that, with certain limited exceptions, prohibit state law-enforcement officials from providing federal immigration authorities with release dates and other information about individuals subject to federal immigration enforcement, and restrict the transfer of aliens in state custody to federal immigration custody, are preempted by federal law or barred by intergovernmental immunity.

Thomas and Alito dissented in the denial of cert. And SCOTUS has
Kicking the can down the road is a respected SCOTUS tradition.
When your real enemies prove too strong, choose weaker enemies.

- William of Baskerville

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38405 on: June 15, 2020, 01:17:42 PM »

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38406 on: June 15, 2020, 01:25:55 PM »

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/15/863498848/supreme-court-delivers-major-victory-to-lgbtq-employees

This is excellent news

But what the hell is a gay softball league?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38407 on: June 15, 2020, 01:30:49 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/politics/fda-hydroxychloroquine-coronavirus/index.html

FDA revokes authorization of hydrochloroquine.

Doctors can continue to legally prescribe the drugs off-label, as they can with any drug that's approved for other conditions. The FDA's emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine was narrow in scope, applying only to hospitalized Covid-19 patients and only to drugs donated to the Strategic National Stockpile.

...and still will.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38408 on: June 15, 2020, 01:37:58 PM »

Somebody please explain Spike Lee's flip-flop on Woody Allen.

To me, it looks like he is somehow reenacting the Cultural Revolution of China. Spike is acting like he is afraid his family is going to get jailed or killed because he doesn't express the values of the party.

"I'd just like to say Woody Allen is a great, great filmmaker and this cancel thing is not just Woody," said Lee ... "And I think when we look back on it we are going to see that -- short of killing somebody -- I don't know that you can just erase somebody like they never existed."

Hours later...
"I Deeply Apologize. My Words Were WRONG."

"I Do Not And Will Not Tolerate Sexual Harassment, Assault Or Violence," ..."Such Treatment Causes Real Damage That Can't Be Minimized.-Truly, Spike Lee."

Even though Woody has never been convicted of "Sexual Harassment, Assault Or Violence" or had such allegations arise from any other source than Crazy Mia's kids. 

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/entertainment/spike-lee-woody-allen-trnd/index.html

What does it mean to "Do the Right Thing", Spike?

It means you don’t lash yourself to the mast of a sinking ship.

It looks more like, wow---I can't be really honest. I have to feed the crowd what it thinks it wants.

Spike just showed he ain't much of a man, IMO.

I’m sure he’ll lose sleep over that...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38409 on: June 15, 2020, 01:43:09 PM »

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/15/863498848/supreme-court-delivers-major-victory-to-lgbtq-employees

This is excellent news

But what the hell is a gay softball league?

Um, pretty much what it says it is.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38410 on: June 15, 2020, 01:47:38 PM »

More on the ten 2nd Amendment cases the Court dodged:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/politics/second-amendment-supreme-court/index.html

Five of the 10 cases the court declined to look at asked the justices to determine whether the Second Amendment allows the government to restrict the ability of citizens to carry a firearm outside the home to those with "good cause" or "justifiable need" to do so. Two of the cases were high-profile challenges to state laws involving bans on certain semiautomatic firearms and high capacity magazines, one from Illinois and one from Massachusetts.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 01:50:28 PM by Echo4 »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38411 on: June 15, 2020, 02:03:23 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/15/oluwatoyin-salau-found-dead-tallahassee-black-lives-matter-protest-missing/3190606001/

Salau was killed. In addition, they also found a 75 year old outspoken liberal killed. They've arrested a suspect, but not much else is known.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38412 on: June 15, 2020, 02:04:48 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/15/politics/trump-police-reform-executive-action/index.html

Hey, a database to track police abuses/violence.

What an idea?!

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #38413 on: June 15, 2020, 02:37:40 PM »

I like how the protests pivoted to specific reforms.  And by continuing the protests, they are getting changes made.  If they had given up after a little looting and arson.  Or stayed home after 2 weeks, few laws would have been changed.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38414 on: June 15, 2020, 02:41:13 PM »

I like how the protests pivoted to specific reforms.  And by continuing the protests, they are getting changes made.  If they had given up after a little looting and arson.  Or stayed home after 2 weeks, few laws would have been changed.

Have a heart, Bo.

For Kiid, anything that curtails his power to commit terror by proxy feels like a personal tragedy.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 2559 2560 [2561] 2562 2563 ... 4288