Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3478 3479 [3480] 3481 3482 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1995400 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #52185 on: October 04, 2020, 11:44:49 AM »

It's hard to differentiate a 2nd wave when the 1st wave was never contained or properly dealt with.

Plus side:  The MyPillow guy told us Trump is tough and works 20 hours/day.   

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #52186 on: October 04, 2020, 11:45:13 AM »

On SNL, they joked that they thought Trump was trying to get Covid-19.

A lot of the news stories I've seen talk about the amount of risk the Trump Admin took, and that Trump's negligence and disregard for the science finally caught up with him.   

The odd thing is how much they relied on solely testing at the WH.  Daily testing doesn't help much with transmission or prevention, just detects early when you already have contracted it. 

Maybe God doesn't want ACB on the Supreme Court ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #52187 on: October 04, 2020, 12:37:57 PM »

I think in the history books with lists of presidents and such, they'll have to put an * next to *Donald Trump's name

Even if just the 4 years, Trump's presidency will have lasting significance.  He has turned the ship back around with regard to how foreign leaders need to tread around us.  Even a Biden win wouldnt totally put a damper on this.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52188 on: October 04, 2020, 12:57:24 PM »

I think in the history books with lists of presidents and such, they'll have to put an * next to *Donald Trump's name

Even if just the 4 years, Trump's presidency will have lasting significance.  He has turned the ship back around with regard to how foreign leaders need to tread around us.  Even a Biden win wouldnt totally put a damper on this.

If by that you mean that now the Western Democracies, plus Japan, Taiwan, and Australia are now treating us the way they treat North Korea, you are right that he has had that impact - they tread carefully, to be sure!

But Biden will most definitely turn that around to the limited extent he can - the problem is that it will take a long time to regain their trust that our long term commitments are real. His threats to blow up NATO and his actual blowing up of the Iran deal (which he is now trying to leverage us back into somewhat) and the Paris Accords, along with a bunch of other petty changes and his dissolution of EPA protections make our nation look like a careening drunk walking down the streets of the world.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52189 on: October 04, 2020, 12:59:23 PM »

Even if just the 4 years, Trump's presidency will have lasting significance.

Agreed. It'll be significant in terms of showing America that it made a colossal mistake that should never be repeated, and how the GOP was destroyed from within.

He has turned the ship back around with regard to how foreign leaders need to tread around us.

The ship has turned around, but it has hit an iceberg and is leaking badly, listing in the waters with no ability to communicate, and the US State Department now has to tread--- water.

Even a Biden win wouldnt totally put a damper on this.

Well, sure, because everyone remembers the '62 Mets., the Hindenberg disaster, Chernobyl, 9/11, Pearl Harbor, the Challenger exploding, etc...

This is where YOU are now; attempting to spin the yarn of a Trump legacy which will bring trigger fond memories to all MAGites of a reality that never existed. In the post-Watergate Era the mantra regarding Nixon's presidency was: "Yeah, but he was good at foreign policy". That wasn't true, then, and it's still not true, now.

But don't worry. You'll be able to buy the Trump history book, when it comes out. It will be full of huge pictures and the biggest print and a chance to join the Trump History Club for just 39.99/month.

And you can sit in your rocking chair in the future and wax poetic about the "good old days" that never were.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52190 on: October 04, 2020, 01:05:14 PM »

Even if just the 4 years, Trump's presidency will have lasting significance.  He has turned the ship back around with regard to how foreign leaders need to tread around us.
What, laughing at us? Allies pitying us? Dictators emboldened knowing how much a touch of brown nose gives them? Our standing in the world has never been lower.
A parrot bit me.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #52191 on: October 04, 2020, 01:32:39 PM »

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #52192 on: October 04, 2020, 01:37:14 PM »

Why do you spend so much time at CNN if it offends you so much?
"I've been in and out, I've been up and down.  I don't want to go until I've been all around."--Jack Bruce

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52193 on: October 04, 2020, 02:04:56 PM »

Why do you spend so much time at CNN if it offends you so much?

He needs to confirm his sense of victimization.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52194 on: October 04, 2020, 02:12:01 PM »

Even RCP's average lead for Biden is up over 8, now.

But if you take their four post-debate polls, it's 9.25 for Biden.

The three states that Clinton lost by 77-78,000 to Trump in 2016 are currently 5.2 (MI), 5.5 (WI), and 6.5 (PA) for Biden. Of the 10 states that they include as battlegrounds, Trump is leading in one --> Texas.

And that's RCP. 270toWin shows Biden with an 8.8% lead over Trump.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #52195 on: October 04, 2020, 02:13:05 PM »

For the most part -- trashing our allies and coddling dictators for starters -- Trump's foreign policy will most likely turn out to be anomalous and corrected rather quickly.

I think the three areas where Trump's foreign policy will have lasting impact are distrust of globalized trade, China and Israel. 

1. The GOP has long disliked int'l organizations, with even a subset wanting to withdraw from the UN.  But Trump tapped into a dislike of international trade agreements which accelerated the hollowing out of US manufacturing and hurt the working class.  Not that he made much change to NAFTA and the trade war with China has been handled poorly (hundreds of billions are being given to US farmers to mitigate the damage).  But the bipartisan consensus in bed with Big Business has been seriously disrupted if not totally shattered.  Could/would Biden really rejoin the Pacific trade pact?  (maybe, I should look into that ... but I'm guessing not). 

2. China has been demonized and the relationship will likely be more adversarial in the future even under a Biden Admin.  This is due to a variety of factors including China's crackdowns in HK and Xinjiang, increasing authoritarianism, military rise, South China Sea disputes, and just that the current trade imbalance favors China hugely with much less benefit for the US.  But I think Trump has changed the discussion concerning China, and altered the relationship for the next decade or more.

3. While the opposite is true for Israel which has become a BFF.  It's hard to see Biden or any future US administration moving the embassy back to Tel Aviv.  Or reeling in Israeli settlements (Obama had little effect).  Or supporting the Palestinians as much as previously (though some aid money will likely be restored).

Plus the overtures and openings with small Arab countries befriending Israel in public represents a strategic change in the region.  Trump's super-pro-Israel policy won't continue unchanged, but the fundamental reset whereby Israel is supported by the US in almost all cases will have long term consequences. 

Domestically I think Trump's primary legacy will be bringing racism out into the open.  Plus making conspiracy theories mainstream.  And increased political polarization.  And distrust of the election process might be another significant legacy.  A lot of ugliness bubbled to the surface under Trump. 

Then there's also the conservative takeover of the courts -- including stealing two SCOTUS seats.   

Nothing else I can think of off-hand.  Am I missing something significant?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 02:16:03 PM by bodiddley »
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52196 on: October 04, 2020, 02:13:47 PM »

hahhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhaaa

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/04/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-alternate-reality/index.html

Like this better?

Only three US states are reporting declines in new coronavirus cases

Why is CNN all COVID-19 all the time? Because of the President of the United States.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52197 on: October 04, 2020, 02:16:45 PM »

Then there's also the conservative takeover of the courts -- including stealing two SCOTUS seats.   

I think he only stole one.

Either blocking Obama was legit and this is one is stolen...

Or blocking Obama was not legit and this one is not stolen, but that was.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52198 on: October 04, 2020, 02:27:59 PM »

If RCP had included the other poll released today, Biden's lead would be at 8.3, not 8.1, but for some reason they have not.

https://www.ipsos.com/en-us/reutersipsos-president-trump-diagnosed-covid-19

ABC/IPSOS has it at 51% to 41%.

And 2/3rds of voters think Trump would not be sick had he taken proper precautions.

27% are delusional.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #52199 on: October 04, 2020, 02:30:13 PM »

Pages: 1 ... 3478 3479 [3480] 3481 3482 ... 4288