Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3666 3667 [3668] 3669 3670 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1877154 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #55005 on: October 28, 2020, 11:03:39 PM »

Bets?

Affirmative Action as a policy will be given to a long awaited death penalty now that Barrett is on SCOTUS.
And the biggest beneficiaries will be blacks.

I won't bet against you on the first part, but evidence from California already suggests you are dead wrong on the second, so I'll put $10 on that.

My proposed standard of measurement
would be percentage of Blacks enrolled in top law schools 4 years after the change, assuming no change to reverse the decision by Congress/Biden before that.
Which proves nothing.
Of course college minority enrollments might tick up, that’s the easy part.

Long since read, along with numerous critiques and endorsements of it, Ward.

But since you don't like my standard, how to you propose to settle such a bet?!
I can accept PayPal.

So, no standard. You just want to declare victory without a basis beyond your own ego?

Yeah, this is what I mean about the lack of rational response on the board.
That was a rational response. With documentation.
Yours was not.
But I applaud your realization you have no reason to lord over this forum.

It was a rational response for looking backward, Ward, for all that there are, as I noted, plenty of critiques of it.

You made a bet about things going forward.

I'm calling you on it.

You tried the same bullshit on what would happen in Seattle with the $15/hour wage - the past proves it cannot work, you insisted. Nobody who understands economics would think it could work.

It worked. (I am sure you still insist that it did not.)

WHAT WOULD CONSTITUTE EVIDENCE THAT YOU ARE RIGHT OR THAT YOU ARE WRONG in your prediction, Ward? What would you ACCEPT as proof? How big an improvement or how big a reduction would suffice?!

The burden is on you, because you rejected my proposed standard.

Put up or shut up.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55006 on: October 28, 2020, 11:05:19 PM »

I have no idea why this community hasnt expanded. 

Look in the mirror, Kid.

Then a glance at your stablemates.

Hey! Some of us use Mane & Tail quite regularly.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55008 on: October 28, 2020, 11:14:44 PM »

https://www.brennancenter.org/our-work/analysis-opinion/when-voting-mail-switches-voting-person

Thoughtful piece.

Good information. Thank you.

I wish I had a better feel for what was going down on the ground in certain areas.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55009 on: October 28, 2020, 11:31:55 PM »

"Already this year, more than 4 million people between the ages of 18 and 29 have cast a ballot after sitting out 2016. They represent about two-thirds of all voters in that age bracket who have voted already."

From The Hill

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #55010 on: October 28, 2020, 11:34:03 PM »

Bets?

Affirmative Action as a policy will be given to a long awaited death penalty now that Barrett is on SCOTUS.

I won't bet against you on the first part, but evidence from California already suggests you are dead wrong on the second, so I'll put $10 on that.

would be percentage of Blacks enrolled in top law schools 4 years after the change, assuming no change to reverse the decision by Congress/Biden before that.
Which proves nothing.

I can accept PayPal.

So, no standard. You just want to declare victory without a basis beyond your own ego?

Yours was not.

It was a rational response for looking backward, Ward, for all that there are, as I noted, plenty of critiques of it.

I'm calling you on it.

You tried the same bullshit on what would happen in Seattle with the $15/hour wage - the past proves it cannot work, you insisted. Nobody who understands economics would think it could work.

WHAT WOULD CONSTITUTE EVIDENCE THAT YOU ARE RIGHT OR THAT YOU ARE WRONG in your prediction, Ward? What would you ACCEPT as proof? How big an improvement or how big a reduction would suffice?!

Put up or shut up.
LOL
What Seattle’ s minimum wage “ laws” have to do with Affirmative Action is, well, nothing.
But regarding Seattle, the minimum wage movement has two sides . The pretty side is about the promise it makes to low wage earners—a “living wage.” The ugly side is the way it wants to deliver on this promise -- by disconnecting pay from performance, turning business enterprises into welfare agencies.

As for Affirmative Action it has delivered nothing to blacks.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55011 on: October 28, 2020, 11:40:23 PM »

Bets?

Which proves nothing.

I can accept PayPal.

Yours was not.

I'm calling you on it.

Put up or shut up.
LOL
What Seattle’ s minimum wage “ laws” have to do with Affirmative Action is, well, nothing.
But regarding Seattle, the minimum wage movement has two sides . The pretty side is about the promise it makes to low wage earners—a “living wage.” The ugly side is the way it wants to deliver on this promise -- by disconnecting pay from performance, turning business enterprises into welfare agencies.

It was an example of your making a false claim based on evidence from the past that you were sure would apply to the future.

Just like this. I should not have used it, though, because I know you struggle with comparisons.

So, you want to make a bet, but have me just pay you without any evidence that your prediction came true.

Yeah, that's like you.

You won't back up your bet.

So, shut up about it.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #55012 on: October 28, 2020, 11:45:35 PM »

Bets?

Which proves nothing.

I can accept PayPal.

Yours was not.

I'm calling you on it.

Put up or shut up.
LOL

It was an example of your making a false claim based on evidence from the past that you were sure would apply to the future.

Just like this. I should not have used it, though, because I know you struggle with comparisons.

So, you want to make a bet, but have me just pay you without any evidence that your prediction came true.
You lost, big time.
No surprise you won’t pay up.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #55013 on: October 29, 2020, 12:25:00 AM »

So with no moderator, this site will be closing in a week or two?
Damn that.
I just get comfortable and the chair collapses.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55014 on: October 29, 2020, 12:34:22 AM »

You lost, big time.
No surprise you won’t pay up.
[/quote]

"WILL BE"

Hasn't happened yet.

Nor have you established any mechanism for determining who will win.

Pretty hard to have a bet without a method of determining who won.

Pretty easy to understand why you are chickening out of the bet, now, if you ever meant it.

You lie, deny, and obfuscate.

And you troll. YOU are 45% of why I am leaning toward leaving. You make a mockery of the notion of coherent dialog.

Ward: "Oh, you said something wrong there."

Anybody else: "What did I say wrong?"

Ward: "Any smart person would know." And never explains.

So, I've been threatening this for a while, Ward, and it is time to follow up on my words.

Either answer questions when you make vague claims or expect your bogus claims to be deleted.

Like I said, "Put up or shut up."

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55015 on: October 29, 2020, 12:35:29 AM »

So with no moderator, this site will be closing in a week or two?
Damn that.
I just get comfortable and the chair collapses.

You are 10%. And really stupid.

You should stop trying to infer meaning from things. Ward can't handle analogies or metaphor, but you can't handle simple English.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55016 on: October 29, 2020, 12:38:22 AM »

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow/watch/-natural-experiment-paints-clear-picture-masks-work-94815301608

20 counties honored the Kansas governor's mask mandate. The rest opted out.

A natural experiment, if flawed because of permeable boundaries. Clear enough, however, to show how it worked.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55017 on: October 29, 2020, 12:46:19 AM »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #55018 on: October 29, 2020, 12:48:33 AM »

More winning!

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/satellite-photos-reportedly-show-construction-iran-nuclear-site-n1245073

Boy, sure is a good thing we showed those Iranians! Otherwise, they might be building stuff at their nuclear site...

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #55019 on: October 29, 2020, 12:50:23 AM »

And the biggest beneficiaries will be blacks

Yes.  Eliminating the failed Affirmative Actions will BENEFIT blacks.
Big Time

I referenced a book you ought to read.
I bet you don’t 
And you ought to leave this site.
No one will miss your daily dump of sewage sites.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2020, 12:52:24 AM by REDSTATEWARD »
Pages: 1 ... 3666 3667 [3668] 3669 3670 ... 4288