Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3745 3746 [3747] 3748 3749 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1874860 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #56190 on: November 07, 2020, 12:06:50 PM »

Trump has a statement from the golf course. Calls it a hoax.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56191 on: November 07, 2020, 12:07:57 PM »

Jake Tapper, ''... and Kamala Harris will become Vice-President elect, its probably a good time for Republicans to learn how to pronounce her name".

I laughed

Laugh some more

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=biden+mispronounce+kamal#id=1&vid=aebcdda9d4cf26bd5895be5c552e0af8&action=view
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #56192 on: November 07, 2020, 12:08:23 PM »

I don't see much of any TV anchors.  Just occasional clips here and there embedded in web pages. 
But I've enjoyed what I've seen of Tapper.  Serious, quizzical, unruffled, focused, somewhat deadpan. 
He's pretty good.

Hopefully Biden wins AZ, NV and GA to get over 300 EV's which is mandate territory (+ the 4M more votes).
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56193 on: November 07, 2020, 12:14:52 PM »

AS expected, "defund police" to be a thing of the past

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/portland-protesters-commissioners-police

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #56194 on: November 07, 2020, 12:24:05 PM »

Jake Tapper, ''... and Kamala Harris will become Vice-President elect, its probably a good time for Republicans to learn how to pronounce her name".

I laughed

Laugh some more

https://video.search.yahoo.com/search/video?fr=mcafee&p=biden+mispronounce+kamal#id=1&vid=aebcdda9d4cf26bd5895be5c552e0af8&action=view

Its about respect.

and Repubs insisted upon disrespecting a woman of color.

It was disgusting.

I understand you do not understand basic decency.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #56195 on: November 07, 2020, 12:25:48 PM »

Its nice to see Americans who love freedom and decency celebrate the Biden victory and wave flags and not rifles!

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #56196 on: November 07, 2020, 12:26:13 PM »

Once again Black voters saves America from herself.

This is getting fucking old.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bodiddley

• View Profile
Dr. F
« Reply #56197 on: November 07, 2020, 12:29:50 PM »

Fauci did a terrible job.
He was complicit with the Trump Admin.
Feb 29, just as the disease was getting a foothold in the US, Fauci said on national Tv that no one needed to change their daily activity.  Wrong.

Fauci was also a mask denier.  Wrong again, Dr. F.
Advocated and promoted the rather fictitious and fruitless 6' spacing guidelines.  So Americans got caught up in an arbitrary standard which is hard to maintain and not greatly effective, and not based on any real science.  Sure keeping a distance from other people (who may be infected) is beneficial, but the 6' dictum just gave a false sense of security (and was especially harmful when combined with telling people masks were useless and maybe even harmful).

Fauci also played a similar role during the AIDS crisis under the hostile Reagan Admin.  And that gets to another issue, Fauci is older than Biden and will turn 80 by the end of the year.   You can't find someone who is younger, more energetic, more up on the latest medical developments?  Hard to believe.  Fauci made a lot of mistakes, provided cover while the Trump Admin went in for stealth herd immunity, and is tainted.  Removing Fauci, either quietly or with a boot in his backside, would also signal a clean break from the terrible Trump response.  And Birx was worse.  Also reportedly a terrible administrator who nobody likes working under.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56198 on: November 07, 2020, 12:41:00 PM »

Media yells at speaker - a witness to polling shenanigans to "TAKE YOUR MASK OFF!"

heh

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #56199 on: November 07, 2020, 12:46:05 PM »

There was that one blind lady in I think Georgia who had her ballot stolen.
And no doubt other instances of massive vote fraud will turn up soon ....
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56200 on: November 07, 2020, 12:46:19 PM »

Please post the stats to support what you aver
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

bodiddley

• View Profile
Simply
« Reply #56201 on: November 07, 2020, 12:48:43 PM »

Whites voted for Trump
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #56202 on: November 07, 2020, 12:52:49 PM »

Please post the stats to support what you aver

The black votes for Biden, though a lesser percentage than Hillary and Barack got, put them over the top.  Don't you see?

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #56203 on: November 07, 2020, 12:56:37 PM »

If RBG had lived an extra 4 months, Biden could have kicked off his presidency by placing Obama on the Supreme Court.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #56204 on: November 07, 2020, 01:05:43 PM »

But what about one of the major concerns often voiced about a popular vote – that rural areas would be ignored in favor of big population centers?

Patrick Rosenstiel, a senior consultant to National Popular Vote, says the current system overlooks both rural and urban voters, depending on the state they live in.

"States like New York and North Dakota are valued the exact same way under the current system. They're valued not at all, because they're reliably either Republican or Democrat," he says. "The only way I know how to put urban voters at parity with rural voters and rural voters at parity with urban voters is to make every voter in this country politically relevant in presidential elections."

The way to do that? a national popular vote that would require candidates to campaign in all 50 states.

The effect would be that every voter would know their vote matters, Rosenstiel says: "I don't care if you're in the heart of Manhattan or in the outskirts of Helena. When you go vote for the American president, you know what's going to count toward the final result in a national popular vote election. And you're not going to be treated like a second-class citizen."   

https://www.npr.org/2020/11/06/931891674/as-presidency-hinges-on-a-handful-of-states-some-have-made-a-popular-vote-pact

My only question is -- if you can get a majority to go in on the NPV  Interstate Compact, why not just go for elimination of the EC?  If you have a compact that subverts the function of the EC,  why keep all that complex structure at all?   Ditch the 12th amendment as the antiquated crap it is,  and ratify a new one.   Seems like Americans in two-thirds of states could get behind dumping this stupid system.   As the article notes,  we'd be talking about Biden's cabinet choices now,  if it were the popular vote deciding things.   

(forum note:  I will reply to posts from anyone who read the entire article...)
The National Popular Vote Interstate Compact is unconstitutional, the sole constitutionally proper mechanism for doing so is a federal constitutional amendment, not an interstate compact negotiated by a handful of states.
End of debate

You can't unilaterally declare the end of a debate,  unless you're a monarch or dictator.   And the compact doesn't activate until it reaches 270, which is more than a "handful. "

As to the rest,  you actually seem to be in agreement that a ratified amendment is the better path.   But you you offered no real facts to justify calling the compact unconstitutional.   I'm not dismissing that it could be, but I find no reason from your post.
Read the Constitution

Article I, Section 10, Clause 3:

No State shall, without the Consent of Congress, lay any Duty of Tonnage, keep Troops, or Ships of War in time of Peace, enter into any Agreement or Compact with another State, or with a foreign Power, or engage in War, unless actually invaded, or in such imminent Danger as will not admit of delay.

A Constitutional Ammendment or Congressional Approval could change things but  either needs such heavy lifting they won’t be tried.  What we have is a movement to establish a cartel of states to permanently elect Presidents to the detriment of the rest of the states.
No state today is prohibited from assigning its electors to the winner of the “ popular” vote.
None do.
Why is that?
Pages: 1 ... 3745 3746 [3747] 3748 3749 ... 4288