Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 4092 4093 [4094] 4095 4096 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1867920 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #61395 on: December 31, 2020, 07:43:22 AM »

The roll  out is hardly slow.

Wrong as usual.  Wrong as always.

U.S. Officials Say Covid-19 Vaccine Distribution Is Going Too Slowly
Federal health officials acknowledged that only a fraction of the doses shipped had been administered.
More than 14 million doses of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines have been sent out. Just 2.6 million people have received their first shots.

Here's Trump's own point man saying it's been slow:
“We agree that that number is lower than what we hoped for,” said Moncef Slaoui, scientific adviser of Operation Warp Speed, the federal effort to accelerate vaccine development and distribution. He added, “We know that it should be better, and we’re working hard to make it better.”

And it's malarkey to blame the states.  First of all, most states don't have enough funding due to the ongoing Trump Epidemic.  They can't print money or run budget deficits.

Moreover, there needs to be a plan and coordination.  If the Feds work with the states, things will work better.  No doubt Biden will have a national plan for CV testing, contact tracing and vaccine distribution.  And it will all work better than the ongoing Trump fiascoes.

Did anyone actually expect Trump to finally get something right on his way out?
Suckers ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #61396 on: December 31, 2020, 08:20:44 AM »

Down to the county. Here in Florida some counties are handing out the vaccines and some seem clueless (keep in touch we will let you know).
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61397 on: December 31, 2020, 10:31:15 AM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #61398 on: December 31, 2020, 10:31:37 AM »

The income phaseout is ridiculous, that's reason enough for both parties to dump it.   My AGI is under 75K, but I really don't need the $600.  Sure that's true for many Americans.   Instead of $600 for almost everyone, make it $2000 for everyone whose last recorded AGI is below the poverty line.

Fuck you - I want the 2K

Remembering all the years here of you and your conservative bros telling us,  when poor people want government money,  they're just lazily looking for a handout.  And making wicked deficits.   

Teehee.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61399 on: December 31, 2020, 10:36:51 AM »

....with many more people voting by mail this fall, election officials feared that millions more ballots would be rejected in the general election.

It didn't happen. Instead, rejection rates went down across the country, in states such as North Carolina, Georgia, Michigan, New Jersey, Ohio, and Florida — although final numbers are still coming in.

Daniel Smith, a political scientist at the University of Florida, says out of almost five million mail-in ballots cast in his state this fall, fewer than 9,000 were rejected, a much lower rate than in previous elections. He said it wasn't because voters made fewer mistakes.

"The rates of ballots being flagged for problems wasn't any lower than in past elections. It's just that individuals were able to cure their ballots in a timely fashion to make sure that their ballots would count," said Smith.

Much to the chagrin of the anti-democracy and voter suppression party known as the GOP.

https://www.npr.org/2020/12/31/951249068/a-2020-surprise-fewer-absentee-ballots-rejections-than-expected

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

barton

« Reply #61400 on: December 31, 2020, 10:48:57 AM »

There have been over 100 million infections in the USA.(and that is a conservative count)

Source,  please.   

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #61401 on: December 31, 2020, 10:54:13 AM »

Why are you a Republican again, Tony?

I am a Republican because of Abraham Lincoln, who freed the slaves, and because of Ronald Reagan, who made all of our immigrants legal so that they could legally work and join labor unions, and so that they could call the police in the case of an emergency, etc. 

Hopefully Biden will make our immigrants legal, and we do not need a wall on our Southern Border. 

And we need to finish our high speed train in California, and more high speed rail routes can be built, including between Anaheim and Las Vegas, and maybe between New York City and Washington DC. The USA needs to have high speed trains.

Salute,

Tony V.

OliveOil

• You were such a super lady!
    • View Profile
Re: No, Tony, Reagan was not pro-unions
« Reply #61402 on: December 31, 2020, 11:18:14 AM »

Throughout the 1960’s and 70’s farmworkers in California were being organized by Cesar Chavez, Dolores Huerta, and the United Farmworkers. As Governor, Reagan had the opportunity to support the farmworkers on multiple occasions. Instead, he campaigned against the grape boycott, calling it immoral and attempted blackmail and appeared on TV eating grapes in defiance of the boycott. He also vetoed the Agricultural Labor Relations Act which would have given farmworkers the right to collectively bargain.

All of this was just the appetizer for the destruction that Reagan did once he was elected President. Perhaps his most public anti-union effort was when he fired 13,000 air traffic controllers who were on strike in the summer of 1981. The firings destroyed the union, PATCO, forcing the union to be decertified. Reagan also announced that the 13,000 striking members would be banned for life from working for the federal government. While some were allowed to be hired back in 1986, it wasn’t until 1993 that the ban was lifted on the remaining PATCO members. In a column in the Washington Post following the firing, columnist Harold Meyerson said this was “an unambiguous signal that employers need feel little or no obligation to their workers, and employers got that message loud and clear -- illegally firing workers who sought to unionize, replacing permanent employees who could collect benefits with temps who could not, shipping factories and jobs abroad." Throughout the rest of his term, there were no more major strikes.   
Why sleep at home when you can sleep in Congress?

barton

« Reply #61403 on: December 31, 2020, 11:36:57 AM »

Hawley,  like Tennyson's kraken,  will surface and then die,  his many fearsome tentacles undulating in the waves,  his putrefying guts inflating him like an enormous balloon waiting for its maiden voyage into the slime-o-sphere.

I stand 100% behind the factual content of this post.   

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #61404 on: December 31, 2020, 11:47:28 AM »

Reagan did make our immigrants legal, Reagan understood what the USA is all about as a nation of immigrants, which did allow them to join unions, etc, and they could call the police in the case of an emergency, etc.

And Reagan was head of the Screen Actors Guild, he did a great job for SAG.

https://www.sagaftra.org/ronald-reagan

"...during Reagan's presidencies and board terms, 1946 - 1960, were among the most vast and complicated in the Guild's history, including, in addition to the CSU strikes: the Guild's first entirely new contract since 1937; passage of the labor-weakening Taft-Hartley act; the House Committee on Un-American Activities hearings and the blacklist era; a severe decline in Hollywood film production, largely caused by both the exploding popularity of television and the 1948 "Paramount decree" which would bring an end to the "studio system"; the fall of mainland China to communism; the explosion of an atomic bomb by the Soviet Union; the Korean War; jurisdictional struggles over television; the MCA waiver; the Guild's first three strikes (1952-53, 1955, and 1960); the first residuals for filmed television programs; first residuals for films sold to television; and the creation of the pension and health plan. "

SAG got its pension and health plan while Reagan was head of SAG.

And Cesar Chavez was great. I support unions. We would not have a middle class without unions. Jimmy Hoffa and Eugene V. Debs also helped the labor movement. And in Poland there was Lech Walesa with the Solidarity union, who helped to free Poland, and bring down the USSR, and he helped to bring down the Berlin Wall. I support unions. China needs unions which are independent of their government, to fight for fair pay and for good treatment for the workers in China, and they can fight for improved human rights. We need to have good unions globally.

Salute,

Tony V.

barton

« Reply #61405 on: December 31, 2020, 12:03:20 PM »

Cognitive dissonance. It happens.

Here's a fun blast from the past...way back in 2014...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/mckaycoppins/36-hours-on-the-fake-campaign-trail-with-donald-trump

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61406 on: December 31, 2020, 12:06:55 PM »

"I've managed to maintain a very low bar with Kimberly. I don't want her to get too big an ego, or accustomed to kindness. I want to keep her tough," said Don Jr.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #61407 on: December 31, 2020, 12:22:34 PM »

There have been over 100 million infections in the USA.(and that is a conservative count)

Source,  please.
CDC as reported by the New York Times, for crissakes , in a post of mine in August.

barton

« Reply #61408 on: December 31, 2020, 12:33:18 PM »

Thanks,  for chrissakes.

I found a 90 million estimate from the CDC here...

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/cases-updates/burden.html

(updated this month)

So your figure is within that range,  and that estimate of nearly one in three Americans lends support to the overall scientific consensus that mask wearing and social distancing is quite important with a disease that has so many asymptomatic carriers.   

barton

« Reply #61409 on: December 31, 2020, 01:04:55 PM »

"I've managed to maintain a very low bar with Kimberly. I don't want her to get too big an ego, or accustomed to kindness. I want to keep her tough," said Don Jr.

The real Don Sr clone,  complete with the same humor:  "jokes" which are engineered to keep everyone in his circle in their place.   And,  like Daddy's shtick,  Junior's tend to portray himself as the arbiter of toughness (even as he lobs weak and cowardly taunts at all he perceives opposing him).   
Pages: 1 ... 4092 4093 [4094] 4095 4096 ... 4288