Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1994640 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #6480 on: November 21, 2018, 11:25:39 PM »

I see you can’t dispute the numbers.

I'm not trying to dispute the numbers.  The intention of my post was simply stated.  And your instinct to hide your sourcing (or pass off the analysis as your own) is odd.

On the point, yes, school choice is a major issue for minorities when far too many public schools remain effectively segregated.  I personally support Charter Schools (though not vouchers) for this reason, and don't agree with the instinctual response of some progressives to oppose them.

I suspect its because they know (and are 100% correct in this) that Republicans' interest in "school choice" has next to nothing to do with a desire to better the education of minority children.
Really? What is the “ interest” then?

Republicans want to monetize “public”education...
Really? How do they do that?

Ask Betsy Devos, after all that was supposed to be why she was brought in to the administration. But now that you’ve lost the House the school choice charade could be over and done with...

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6481 on: November 21, 2018, 11:29:58 PM »

Isnt that what a party leader does, fights to gain advantages in elections if its legal? Nancy Pelosi is such an incompetent idiot.

You're a fool.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6482 on: November 21, 2018, 11:36:11 PM »

I'm not trying to dispute the numbers.  The intention of my post was simply stated.  And your instinct to hide your sourcing (or pass off the analysis as your own) is odd.

On the point, yes, school choice is a major issue for minorities when far too many public schools remain effectively segregated.  I personally support Charter Schools (though not vouchers) for this reason, and don't agree with the instinctual response of some progressives to oppose them.

I suspect its because they know (and are 100% correct in this) that Republicans' interest in "school choice" has next to nothing to do with a desire to better the education of minority children.

I support the initial concept of charter schools as experiments to try different ways to do things with the intention of improving public schools.

I despise the lack of oversight in so many places and the fact that schools that have no pedagogical changes to promote or which do substantially less well than the area public schools continue to exist. I also object to the lack of careful analysis and then transference of ideas to see if they would work in the larger environment.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6483 on: November 21, 2018, 11:38:40 PM »

bambu is literate...he doesn't have any trouble reading and understanding President Trump's tweets.

cofeve.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #6484 on: November 21, 2018, 11:41:02 PM »

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/australia/muslim-leaders-boycott-meeting-with-scott-morrison-over-his-comments-on-bourke-street-terror-attack-just-after-the-pm-asked-them-to-help-track-down-extremists/ar-BBPVX7N?li=AAgfYrC&OCID=AVRES000

Muslim leaders BOYCOTT meeting with Scott Morrison over his comments on Bourke Street terror attack - just after the PM asked them to help track down extremists

The Australian National Imams Council and Australian Federation of Islamic Councils have issued a joint statement declaring they would refuse to meet with the PM, who floated the idea of discussing ways to stop extremist violence.

The statement, co-signed by the Grand Mufti Dr Ibrahim Abu Mohamed and ANIC president Sheikh Shady Alsuleiman, slammed his demand last week for Muslim leaders to be aware of extremists in their mosques.

#####

Every day it seems to heading more towards being "us and them".

Australia needs Trump.

Not PC to blame terrorist acts on the Muslim terrorists who committed them. BHO would blame it on workplace violence or environmental factors.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6485 on: November 21, 2018, 11:47:54 PM »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6486 on: November 21, 2018, 11:52:57 PM »

Ask Betsy Devos, after all that was supposed to be why she was brought in to the administration. But now that you’ve lost the House the school choice charade could be over and done with...
Betsy Devos has nothing to do with funding of local k-12 school districts.
Nor does the US House of Representatives.

bambu-wisdom

• View Profile
« Reply #6487 on: November 22, 2018, 02:03:34 AM »

bambu is literate...he doesn't have any trouble reading and understanding President Trump's tweets.

cofeve.

covfefe

Despite the constant negative press covfefe.

cov...cash over valuation [it would have to be made purely in cash]
fefe...Chicago slang for "a party".

covfefe...'A cash party'.

Despite the constant negative press a cash party.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 02:05:46 AM by bambu-wisdom »

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6488 on: November 22, 2018, 02:09:00 AM »

And there you expose the depths of your ignorance of the American education system, Redd.

Congratulations.

Overall, the Feds contribute about 8% of the public school budget, with variations on a state, district, and school level. While most of that comes from DoE, some comes from other places, like Agriculture (lunch) and HHS (Head Start!). But beyond that, there are programs like Title 1 and Javits grants and many more that arise from the federal budget each year.

There is money to fund private school tuition for the poor and charter schools, for example. Some of that comes in grants which the Secretary oversees, usually indirectly but not always - she does set the priorities.

Yes, Secretary DeVos has a say in school funding. So does the House.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6489 on: November 22, 2018, 02:20:36 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/21/politics/supreme-court-john-roberts-trump/index.html

Trump responds to Chief Justice Roberts.

I would love for this debate to continue, though I doubt Roberts will push it any further. His words speak for themselves just as adroitly in response to this second salvo from the Liar-in-Chief.

luee

• View Profile
« Reply #6490 on: November 22, 2018, 08:01:37 AM »

Isnt that what a party leader does, fights to gain advantages in elections if its legal? Nancy Pelosi is such an incompetent idiot.

You're a fool.

Huh! Nancy Pelosi has allowed the Republicans to gain all sorts of advantages and steal elections. No wonder she is so loved on the other side of the aisle. Please don't go.
Stuck in Nueva Tegucigalpa with a shotgun by my side.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #6491 on: November 22, 2018, 09:55:04 AM »

And there you expose the depths of your ignorance of the American education system, Redd.

Congratulations.

Overall, the Feds contribute about 8% of the public school budget, with variations on a state, district, and school level. While most of that comes from DoE, some comes from other places, like Agriculture (lunch) and HHS (Head Start!). But beyond that, there are programs like Title 1 and Javits grants and many more that arise from the federal budget each year.

There is money to fund private school tuition for the poor and charter schools, for example. Some of that comes in grants which the Secretary oversees, usually indirectly but not always - she does set the priorities.

You should be ashamed at being so ignorant. What with you masquerading as the “global moderator. “

Driver125

• View Profile
« Reply #6492 on: November 22, 2018, 10:57:22 AM »

His words speak for themselves just as adroitly in response to this second salvo from the Liar-in-Chief.
And the best part? Roberts can’t be fired. The Orange Ogre can huff and puff and stomp his tiny feet—wear down his his small fingers twittering away 24/7…but there is nothing he can do about the man. Got to make him want to take a bone saw to Roberts….but it’s O.K. He’ll lose interest in this in a couple of days and move on to some other useless crisis brewing in his delusional mind.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6493 on: November 22, 2018, 11:47:23 AM »

Josh,

Red has the funniest way of admitting that you owned him on school funding and federal involvement.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #6494 on: November 22, 2018, 12:06:17 PM »

Congratulations.

You should be ashamed at being so ignorant. What with you masquerading as the “global moderator. “

Damn dude. You’re a living Monty Python skit.

Anyone: “this parrot is dead.”

RED: “No, it’s not. It’s just resting.”

and so on...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 431 432 [433] 434 435 ... 4288