Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 1179 1180 [1181] 1182 1183 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1868032 times)

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #17700 on: August 02, 2019, 11:02:58 AM »

Meanwhile, in the land of "everybody should have a gun, because then they'd be safe"...

https://www.cnn.com/2019/08/02/us/arlington-officer-kills-woman-while-shooting-at-dog/index.html
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #17701 on: August 02, 2019, 11:09:56 AM »

"Something is probably happening in Hong Kong..."

"Some people did something..."
« Last Edit: August 02, 2019, 11:15:39 AM by kidcarter8 »
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17702 on: August 02, 2019, 11:11:49 AM »

The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17703 on: August 02, 2019, 11:28:02 AM »

So, roughly the Republican approach to gun violence.
When your real enemies prove too strong, choose weaker enemies.

- William of Baskerville

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #17704 on: August 02, 2019, 11:44:21 AM »

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #17705 on: August 02, 2019, 11:48:00 AM »

What went largely unnoticed is that one candidate didn't spend any time putting anyone else in a pillory and just made constructive suggestions about saving the planet and "get the white nationalist out of the WH."  He has no shot, but I appreciated Gov. Jay Inslee for his tone. 

I like Tulsi, but I didn't like her joining the dogpile on Harris.  It was all baboon troop stuff.  The debates needed a lot more of candidates detailing their own vision for the country and giving people a sense of a coherent party platform that all are agreed on.  Booker seemed to want that at the start, but then later his attack on Biden suggested otherwise. 

Regarding Oilcan's acronym, erm, I think that was sort of a joke.  If he had said, "She's pretty, so she has to be dumb," THAT would be misogyny.  But simply saying someone is a hottie is an assertion that, AFAICT, remains welcome to the ears of anyone on the cusp of middle age.

No, he's judged her first on her sexuality, then on her character. Bad form for a lefty.

HamiltonIII

• View Profile
« Reply #17706 on: August 02, 2019, 11:50:51 AM »

Finally something constructive from a dem candidate

Gillibrand 2020

---Support My Plan to Legalize Marijuana
Our current drug policies are rooted in institutional racism and result in the mass incarceration of people of color. And it’s time to unleash the economic equity and opportunity of marijuana legalization.

If you believe it’s time to legalize marijuana and right the wrongs of our country’s failed war on drugs, add your name today.---

I also like Vet Tulsi who did not cave in to the terrorists (and Saudis) in Syria.

Now this is what I’d call a ringing endorsement... also reinforces my point on Tulsi.

Yeah, well you hate veterans. That's well documented. Of course, if Tulsi was black...

oilcan

« Reply #17707 on: August 02, 2019, 12:20:59 PM »

What went largely unnoticed is that one candidate didn't spend any time putting anyone else in a pillory and just made constructive suggestions about saving the planet and "get the white nationalist out of the WH."  He has no shot, but I appreciated Gov. Jay Inslee for his tone. 

I like Tulsi, but I didn't like her joining the dogpile on Harris.  It was all baboon troop stuff.  The debates needed a lot more of candidates detailing their own vision for the country and giving people a sense of a coherent party platform that all are agreed on.  Booker seemed to want that at the start, but then later his attack on Biden suggested otherwise. 

Regarding Oilcan's acronym, erm, I think that was sort of a joke.  If he had said, "She's pretty, so she has to be dumb," THAT would be misogyny.  But simply saying someone is a hottie is an assertion that, AFAICT, remains welcome to the ears of anyone on the cusp of middle age.

No, he's judged her first on her sexuality, then on her character. Bad form for a lefty.

It was a joke, troll.  Back under your bridge now. 

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #17708 on: August 02, 2019, 12:21:41 PM »

Finally something constructive from a dem candidate

Gillibrand 2020

---Support My Plan to Legalize Marijuana
Our current drug policies are rooted in institutional racism and result in the mass incarceration of people of color. And it’s time to unleash the economic equity and opportunity of marijuana legalization.

If you believe it’s time to legalize marijuana and right the wrongs of our country’s failed war on drugs, add your name today.---

I also like Vet Tulsi who did not cave in to the terrorists (and Saudis) in Syria.

Now this is what I’d call a ringing endorsement... also reinforces my point on Tulsi.

Yeah, well you hate veterans. That's well documented. Of course, if Tulsi was black...

I hate veterans?

It’s well documented?

Aw, have you saved my posts? I’m flattered.

Please share them.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

oilcan

« Reply #17709 on: August 02, 2019, 12:25:08 PM »

The cost of the warming planet will not be just that of building seawalls or moving coastal towns or irrigating desertified croplands or keeping salt out of groundwater.  It will also be the cost of handling mass migrations from zones, sometimes whole nations, that have become uninhabitable. 

People on dangerous boat crossings from Morroco to Spain, or coming from C.America to seek admittance at our southern border, is just a gentle sprinkle compared to the deluge to come.  Building catchment basins and reservoirs in Guatemala is a better investment of our money than giant walls. 

I live in a state that's noted for getting over 70% of its power from renewable energy sources (wind, hydro).  How long will that last if everyone here, in a state where many homes don't have or need central AC, decide they need it as summers become more like, say, Oklahoma summers?  We could handle that shift with more windfarms (we always have plenty of wind), if we start planning for that now and don't let the fossil fuel boosters be the loudest voices.

This pinpoints the vicious circle in states where fossil fuel reigns for electricity production:

1.  We burn fossil fuels to cool our houses.
2.  The climate gets hotter due the resulting carbon pumped into the atmosphere.  So...
3.  We burn more fossil fuels to cool our houses. 

barton

« Reply #17710 on: August 02, 2019, 12:53:51 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/01/opinion/debate-marianne-williamson.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage&login=email&auth=login-email

No paywall, if you sign up with an email and pw.  You get quite a few free articles per month, this way.

I don't quite agree with Brooks in this respect:  Yes, we need a candidate with a moral vision as well as a policy vision, but I think we have several already who can bring that, besides the whackadoodle Williamson.  Booker has a moral vision, so do Inslee and Harris and Castro, and a couple others.  They are quite capable of reminding us of those moral values we must have as Americans, which Brooks lists in his column.  Actually, I will quote the list:

Unity: We’re one people. Our leader represents all the people. He doesn’t go around attacking whole cities and regions.

Honesty: We can’t have deliberative democracy without respect for the truth. None of us want congenital liars in our homes or our workplaces.

Pluralism: Human difference makes life richer and more interesting. We treasure members of all races and faiths for what they bring to the mosaic.

Sympathy: We want to be around people with good hearts, who feel for those who are suffering, who are faithful friends, whose daily lives are marked by kindness.

Opportunity: We want all children to have an open field and a fair chance in the great race of life.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #17712 on: August 02, 2019, 01:59:38 PM »

Lyndon Johnson

oilcan

« Reply #17713 on: August 02, 2019, 02:56:37 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/fear-and-gloating-in-cincinnati/2019/08/02/a6055256-b51f-11e9-8949-5f36ff92706e_story.html

Horrifying and hilarious. 

The chemtrails are gone!  And Trump predicted it in his secret coded tweets!

Yes, Pantaleo being fired would at least begin the bend towards some sanity.

And Ratcliffe is out.  Which probably has career intelligence people wondering what the next monstrosity will be like.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17714 on: August 02, 2019, 04:54:26 PM »

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/fear-and-gloating-in-cincinnati/2019/08/02/a6055256-b51f-11e9-8949-5f36ff92706e_story.html

Horrifying and hilarious. 

The chemtrails are gone!  And Trump predicted it in his secret coded tweets!

Yes, Pantaleo being fired would at least begin the bend towards some sanity.

And Ratcliffe is out.  Which probably has career intelligence people wondering what the next monstrosity will be like.

Trump flooded his diaper in Cincinnati.

For DNI, judging by trump’s past preferences, look among the ranks of available known pedophiles. Those seem to be his favorite people.

NY is years late.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman
Pages: 1 ... 1179 1180 [1181] 1182 1183 ... 4288