Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

Should the US be concerned about an invasion of Ukraine by Russia?

Very
- 6 (50%)
Some
- 4 (33.3%)
Not sure
- 0 (0%)
Not really
- 1 (8.3%)
Not in the slightest
- 1 (8.3%)

Total Members Voted: 11

Voting closed: February 15, 2022, 10:51:36 AM

Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 2734

Author Topic: Biden Administration  (Read 504204 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Biden Administration
« Reply #2115 on: February 18, 2021, 08:35:36 PM »

Another bit from the 'Way Back' machine.

The more things change...

https://exjournalistsunite.wordpress.com/2017/08/16/americas-original-sin/
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: February 18, 2021, 08:48:10 PM »

What about a "privilege walk" for all White House staff?
Could be arriving soon.

Daily Telegraph editorial: Governor-General’s ‘privilege walk’ is woke madness

Woke madness has now reached one of the highest ­offices in Australia.

As The Daily Telegraph reports, the Governor-General’s staff will soon embark on what is known as a “privilege walk”.

If you have never heard of such a thing, consider yourself fortunate. During your average privilege walk, participants go through various exercises to identify their levels of privilege and entitlement.

For example, they may be asked to take a step forward if they are right-handed, if English is their first language or if they can easily buy bandages that match their skin tone.

But they must take a step back if they have ever had to primarily rely on public transport.

In the case of staff working for the Governor-General, they should be able to complete the privilege walk in record time.

That is because they very much are privileged, straight off the bat. They are privileged to work in that office. They are profoundly privileged to represent the Australian people.
And they should be extre­mely proud of doing so.

Instead, however, they will endure a form of ritual shaming.

You should do the exercise. I have. It is a great way of helping you recognize how advantages in life put you ahead of the race from the outset. There is no shame or shaming involved, but recognition. It helps to understand the equity needs of marginalized communities. A worthy exercise for your public servants.

Of course, in your case, it would involve you looking backwards and.asking yourself, "If I started so far ahead why am I so far behind?" And then you would crawl back into your mother's basement, turn on your number 2 of a No. 1 radio host and console yourself with the thought that it is someone else's fault.

LOL
"Always blame the other guy" -   senior cop friend (deceased).
"Always have an excuse" - bambu

When I left high school...'everyone' in the country was white. ("The White Australia policy"). Aboriginal people mostly lived outside of cities and towns (the law).
No African gangs.
No Middle Eastern organised crime gangs.
No Asian triad organised crime gangs.

Plenty of White bullies and harassers in workplaces though.
Being a nice, polite, well-mannered, skinny, naive, White, not martial arts trained Christian boy...I started well behind, a sitting duck.
Used, abused, bullied, harassed, mocked by White males and later White women in the workplace, I feel I well and truly earned whatever I have today.
No "privilege walk" for me.

You still had a seat at the best table.  How much food you grabbed - that's all up to you.  But you were seated at the table.  Doesn't have to be the best seat.  You had every opportunity to improve your seating, because you had a seat to begin with.

Speaking of seats at tables:
Team bambu was seated at the "others" table at one all  White folks office Christmas party.
The seating arrangements discovered by accident in a file on the desk of the Manager's secretary.
3 tables:
"First class citizens".
"Second class citizens"
"Others".
We "rejects" had a great night,  lol

(Deceased) Elba forum member Weezo once told me that I could no longer sit at the table but could only sit under the table (and have the 'crumbs'.) lol

So, because I wasn't born on a garbage dump in The Philippines, destined to live my entire life there...or wasn't born into grinding poverty in India etc...I must now do a walk of shame to find enlightenment.
Not in this lifetime.
Again, I have done the exercise. There is no shame in it - if you feel shamed it is on you. I was the third furthest ahead in my group of about 30 at the end. It was enlightening,  not shameful. No shame at all - unless you want to feel shamed, and that because you want to be shamed by it so you can feign outrage. What your number two #1 radio host is likely not telling you is that the walk has a context.  It is done as part of training in diversity and inclusion.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: February 18, 2021, 09:06:55 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2021/02/18/politics/ted-cruz-cancun-texas-disaster-electricity-power-water/index.html

It was a mistake, says Ted.

Given how he blasted others for it in the past, I would say so.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #2118 on: February 18, 2021, 09:16:49 PM »

Fac,  your recent posts are more optimistic and less about Red having syphilis or bowel problems.   I appreciate the change in quality.   

But I agree with Bankshot.   If he goes too big,  and shuts out Republican legislators,  there will be repercussions at the state and local level.   Politics is defined as "the art of the possible."*

I disagree. This is like no other cycle in recent history because Republicans on the national level just tried to overthrow the government and overturn a national election. Bring them along? Sure. The Democracy Wing of the GOP is welcome. Fuck the proponents of the Bg Lie.

There has never been a moment like this. So even if you go by recent history (2009-2010) and conventional wisdom* shows if the Dems go slow they WILL lose the midterms, if they go BIG they MAY lose the mid terms.

Smoke them while you got them.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: February 18, 2021, 09:18:13 PM »

Could be arriving soon.

As The Daily Telegraph reports, the Governor-General’s staff will soon embark on what is known as a “privilege walk”.

If you have never heard of such a thing, consider yourself fortunate. During your average privilege walk, participants go through various exercises to identify their levels of privilege and entitlement.

For example, they may be asked to take a step forward if they are right-handed, if English is their first language or if they can easily buy bandages that match their skin tone.

But they must take a step back if they have ever had to primarily rely on public transport.

In the case of staff working for the Governor-General, they should be able to complete the privilege walk in record time.

That is because they very much are privileged, straight off the bat. They are privileged to work in that office. They are profoundly privileged to represent the Australian people.

You should do the exercise. I have. It is a great way of helping you recognize how advantages in life put you ahead of the race from the outset. There is no shame or shaming involved, but recognition. It helps to understand the equity needs of marginalized communities. A worthy exercise for your public servants.

Of course, in your case, it would involve you looking backwards and.asking yourself, "If I started so far ahead why am I so far behind?" And then you would crawl back into your mother's basement, turn on your number 2 of a No. 1 radio host and console yourself with the thought that it is someone else's fault.

LOL

When I left high school...'everyone' in the country was white. ("The White Australia policy"). Aboriginal people mostly lived outside of cities and towns (the law).
No African gangs.

Being a nice, polite, well-mannered, skinny, naive, White, not martial arts trained Christian boy...I started well behind, a sitting duck.
Used, abused, bullied, harassed, mocked by White males and later White women in the workplace, I feel I well and truly earned whatever I have today.

You still had a seat at the best table.  How much food you grabbed - that's all up to you.  But you were seated at the table.  Doesn't have to be the best seat.  You had every opportunity to improve your seating, because you had a seat to begin with.

Team bambu was seated at the "others" table at one all  White folks office Christmas party.
The seating arrangements discovered by accident in a file on the desk of the Manager's secretary.
3 tables:
"First class citizens".
"Second class citizens"
"Others".

(Deceased) Elba forum member Weezo once told me that I could no longer sit at the table but could only sit under the table (and have the 'crumbs'.) lol

So, because I wasn't born on a garbage dump in The Philippines, destined to live my entire life there...or wasn't born into grinding poverty in India etc...I must now do a walk of shame to find enlightenment.
Not in this lifetime.

So.. YOU see it as shame.  I thought you said it was THEM

The fact that you see it as shame speaks volumes.

LOL
According to them.

ALSO quite racist of you to say Filipinos are born of garbage dumps and Indians of poverty.  What about Indian and Filipino children born in Australia in the same hospitals as you?  Are they also not worth your time to examine?
« Last Edit: February 18, 2021, 09:22:39 PM by Kam »
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: February 18, 2021, 09:24:22 PM »

Bambu’s mental poverty is a choice he reaffirms regularly by swimming in flaming garbage dumps trough his radio and TV.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: February 18, 2021, 09:25:26 PM »

Speaking of flaming garbage dumps, I was glad to hear that Rush is finally room temperature.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Kam

• '77er
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: February 18, 2021, 09:26:53 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/17/climate/texas-blackouts-disinformation.html

My state's power is 25% wind generated.   It didn't freeze up.   No blackouts.    Texas can do better,  if science and facts are leading,  rather than conservative propagandists.
The bottom line, again,is the most dependable sources are coal and nuclear , with help from wind, natural gas, and solar.

The sun beams down onto the earth 630 million joules of energy every HOUR.   That's 2000 Hiroshimas per second.   We captured 610 million joules of that energy PER YEAR.   Surely the bottom line is the future of civilization depends on harnessing the most efficient self-sustaining power source in the entire solar system.   If we want it we can do it.   You don't want to because it doesn't help your own bottom line.  You're anti-progress.

Most people are only a few pay packets away from the street.
People now employed in oil, coal, nuclear, wood-fired home heating industries etc simply cannot afford to lose those jobs without other jobs at the same salary being found for them to switch to.

Why can't these billion dollar energy companies A) pay their employees better wages and B) switch to a new source of energy and train their employees in that new technology? 

Actually they are.  But there are severe drawbacks that have to be overcome.
https://www.barrons.com/articles/how-renewable-energy-can-pay-off-for-big-oil-51605632723

You're being an alarmist for the Billionaire class.  Severe drawbacks lol.
You might want to actually read the article.

Short term thinking by wealthy folks who don't want to see near-term losses of their dividends. 
KP interns for the firm of Tatum and Brown

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: February 18, 2021, 09:42:39 PM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/02/17/climate/texas-blackouts-disinformation.html

My state's power is 25% wind generated.   It didn't freeze up.   No blackouts.    Texas can do better,  if science and facts are leading,  rather than conservative propagandists.
The bottom line, again,is the most dependable sources are coal and nuclear , with help from wind, natural gas, and solar.

The sun beams down onto the earth 630 million joules of energy every HOUR.   That's 2000 Hiroshimas per second.   We captured 610 million joules of that energy PER YEAR.   Surely the bottom line is the future of civilization depends on harnessing the most efficient self-sustaining power source in the entire solar system.   If we want it we can do it.   You don't want to because it doesn't help your own bottom line.  You're anti-progress.

Most people are only a few pay packets away from the street.
People now employed in oil, coal, nuclear, wood-fired home heating industries etc simply cannot afford to lose those jobs without other jobs at the same salary being found for them to switch to.

Why can't these billion dollar energy companies A) pay their employees better wages and B) switch to a new source of energy and train their employees in that new technology? 

Actually they are.  But there are severe drawbacks that have to be overcome.
https://www.barrons.com/articles/how-renewable-energy-can-pay-off-for-big-oil-51605632723

Short term thinking by wealthy folks who don't want to see near-term losses of their dividends.
Who would?

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #2125 on: February 18, 2021, 09:58:01 PM »

Could be arriving soon.

LOL

No African gangs.

3 tables:
"First class citizens".
"Second class citizens"
"Others".

Not in this lifetime.
Again, I have done the exercise. There is no shame in it - if you feel shamed it is on you. I was the third furthest ahead in my group of about 30 at the end. It was enlightening,  not shameful. No shame at all - unless you want to feel shamed, and that because you want to be shamed by it so you can feign outrage. What your number two #1 radio host is likely not telling you is that the walk has a context.  It is done as part of training in diversity and inclusion.

They say that's what the reason is.

Ah yes, diversity and inclusion.
What, like immigrants in my world waving the flags of their homelands and cheering for them against the Australian flag and Australian teams?
Immigrant ethnic enclaves everywhere.
Yes, diversity to the max.
Inclusion, not so much, seemingly voluntarily and on purpose.
Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #2126 on: February 18, 2021, 10:13:53 PM »

Could be arriving soon.

LOL

No African gangs.

3 tables:
"First class citizens".
"Second class citizens"
"Others".

Not in this lifetime.

So.. YOU see it as shame.  I thought you said it was THEM

The fact that you see it as shame speaks volumes.

LOL
According to them.

ALSO quite racist of you to say Filipinos are born of garbage dumps and Indians of poverty.  What about Indian and Filipino children born in Australia in the same hospitals as you?  Are they also not worth your time to examine?

No need to examine, I know all about them...they live in exactly the same system I do...same everything.
No need for a privilege walk, nothing is any great mystery.

Google:
"Educating Manila's rubbish dump children".
and
""Hell on Earth': the great urban scandal of family life lived on a rubbish dump"
and
"A Manila Trash Heap Called Home".
Go woke, go broke.

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #2127 on: February 18, 2021, 10:59:24 PM »

Who would?

Who would devour their children’s future to maintain the value of their short term dividends?

It calls into question the mental fitness of those pursuing those choices. It may turn out their wealth needs some sort of conservatorship to prevent it from acting as a danger to themselves and others.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile

Richard P. Feynman

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2129 on: February 19, 2021, 12:12:50 AM »

https://theslot.jezebel.com/ted-cruzs-neighbors-must-really-hate-him-1846303363

Cruz not only went to Cancun, but lied about it to the media when called out.

He claimed he'd promised the vacation trip to his daughters.

Oops!
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham
Pages: 1 ... 140 141 [142] 143 144 ... 2734