Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2524 2525 [2526] 2527 2528 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1997690 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #37876 on: June 11, 2020, 02:59:05 PM »

We've seem to have become a nation of nonwaivering uncomprovising hate. On both sides.

I had hoped that you would retire this take after it was shown to you how wrong it was the first time, instead, its only gotten worse.

We have a "president" who preaches hate on almost a daily basis in order to appeal to a political base that eats it up like its chocolate cake.

Both sides?  Give us a fucking break.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37877 on: June 11, 2020, 03:11:48 PM »

We've seem to have become a nation of nonwaivering uncomprovising hate. On both sides.

I had hoped that you would retire this take after it was shown to you how wrong it was the first time, instead, its only gotten worse.

We have a "president" who preaches hate on almost a daily basis in order to appeal to a political base that eats it up like its chocolate cake.

Both sides?  Give us a fucking break.

When as a candidate Trump called Mexican immigrants "rapists" and blamed them for crime in the US, I hated that.
Then when my nation separated traumatized children from their parents, I'm going to hate on that.
When the "president" calls non-white nations sending immigrants here "shithole countries" and says that four sitting congresswomen of color (three of whom were born here) should go back to where they came from, I'm going to hate on that.
One of our political parties partitions voting districts and fucks with voting sites in order to disenfranchise Black voters.  The other political party....doesn't do that.
"Very fine people on both sides" in Charlottesville,  I sure hated that.
When our "president" calls protesters for racial equality "thugs" who will be met with live ammo, then violently clears that peaceful protest so that he can stand at a church holding up a bible...hate it.

You think "both sides" should be admonished equally for the rise in "hate" because one side is doing hateful things, and the other side hates it.  If you don't share in the hate of what Trump and his Republican brethren are doing, you are part of the problem, and have no basis to lecture anyone about the temperature of our political discourse.
"When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero, that's a pretty good job we've done."  -  The impeached "president" on Feb 27, 2020

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37878 on: June 11, 2020, 03:26:56 PM »

One of our political parties partitions voting districts and fucks with voting sites in order to disenfranchise Black voters. 

Is that truly what you think just happened in Atlanta?

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37879 on: June 11, 2020, 03:29:29 PM »

Needs - it's both sides.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37880 on: June 11, 2020, 03:32:22 PM »

One of our political parties partitions voting districts and fucks with voting sites in order to disenfranchise Black voters. 

Republicans close voting sites in majority Black neighborhoods to make it more difficult for them to vote.  In Georgia, 1.5 years ago, they tried to close 7 of 9 in a majority Black county before getting called on it and canceling those plans.

So do I think its very possible what happened in Atlanta is the result of a years long effort to degrade the voting infrastructure of minority neighborhoods?  Fuck yes.

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37881 on: June 11, 2020, 03:33:13 PM »

Needs - it's both sides.

Sure, keep saying that without providing examples.  You and CaptainCargo are very convincing.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37882 on: June 11, 2020, 03:42:13 PM »

I'm not going to find tit for tat examples of the left media lying and knowing they were lying. They're out there but I'm not here to delineate some sort of line that proves one side is "worse" than the other. I'm here to say they are both biased and yes both lie. A definite and willful distortion of the truth is lying and both sides do it. I'm not here to rah rah rah for either of them. I find both sides of this media war "deplorables".

Do you think this sort of political discussion - which side lies more - can ever find any real objective arbiter that both sides would accept as such?   For sure,  no one wants to come here and do heavy lifting on statistics,  fact checks,  independent press audits,  ad infinitum.   Most people have some sort of gut feel they go with,  or they point to the judgment call of their favored pundit or pundits.   Or they just listen to NPR and try to discern some patterns in the info flood.   

I live in a state full of conservatives  (Thune is one of my senators),  so I know some who are just decent honest people whose guiding principle is that federal level governance doesn't work well,  and less is generally more.   They find news feeds that feed that ideology,  and ignore those that don't.   I would ask them, and you:  do you think that approach will take you into a bubble (or an information silo,  as some call it)?   Does it make sense to put down the National Review on occasion,  and pick up The Guardian,  or Mother Jones?   Or should we all just read straight news,  like AP?

I'm a regular here,  so I am glad to see people coming over from sports threads,  and maybe toss in some perspectives that fall between Redstateward and Josh,  on the conservative end.   It could be fun to examine some underlying assumptions we have about government, capitalism,  freedom,  and the dignity of individuals.

I do watch both news. And I try to filter out what is right and what may be questionable as anyone should be doing. Both sides are strongly biased IMO. FOX embellishes to the max. CNN and the other national media outlets embellish as well. But their primary forte is simply not reporting on some news stories at all. Thus they can't be accused of embellishing if they simply don't report it at all. It's all tactics. 

My hope has been that someone or "someones" would come along an attempt some actual healing in this country. But nobody in the country seems very interested in that. Both sides seem so entrenched that any hope of dialog is fantasy at this juncture. We've seem to have become a nation of nonwaivering uncomprovising hate. On both sides.

I was encouraged by the taping of the Chicago Aldermen and their lamentations of the destructions in their precincts.

I've heard this complaint that "they" just don't cover some news stories at all, most recently from Kid.

But I've yet to find a story I was told that they had not covered that they had not, in fact, covered! So, what stories do you have in mind?

That's one piece.

The second one is your careful recasting to "embellish."

Cap, Fox LIES. They don't just embellish, they make up shit wholesale. Not as much as OANN does, to be sure, but they do. This is why their viewers know less than the folks who know nothing.

And... they are better than they used to be, which is part of why Trump is so angry with them.

But the gap between making up shit to undermine those with whom you disagree and "embellishing" is pretty substantial.

Ditto what Sinclair does. No so-called liberal media network has told all of its members that their local news teams must make X declaration. Sinclair has and more than once.

It's a false equivalence, for all that there are individuals who are as venal on the left as Hannity is on the right.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37883 on: June 11, 2020, 03:43:40 PM »

“Don't you think we have a responsibility to be considerate of each other's thoughts and feelings, if we expect others to be considerate of our thoughts, feelings?

Not to go all Miss Manners on you, but it's my contention that your message is clouded or enhanced by the manner in which you deliver it, and that would be indeed be your "problem", it in fact you truly wish to be heard.”

Considerate?

How do you politely utter a primal scream?

A deranged man is burning down the theater.   But let's discuss the etiquette of how to quietly fold our popcorn boxes and properly dispose of.

Just so I'm clear. I am only talking about discussion here.

Yes, selective tone policing.

I see you can cut and paste, and post snark, but do you have any original thoughts?

Please add them. Inquiring minds want to know what pearls of pontification they can expect from someone so obviously gifted as yourself!

For somebody asking people to be considerate in their tone, you sure choose funny ways to display the practice yourself!

It doesn't take cut and paste to recognize and comment upon tone policing when it is going on, Uno. It surely doesn't require even much of my obviously prodigious mind!

I didn't say, "You're being a fucking asshole on this topic and you really need to get over yourself!" I used the appropriate term to describe what you were doing.

I don't claim to have never engaged in the practice, myself. It's part of how I recognize it so readily! (It's been pointed out to me once or twice, somewhat pointedly.)

And I am sorry that having it pointed out bothers you so much. I'm pretty familiar with defensiveness, too. (Or as I once said, "But I have a perfect right to be defensive!")

Oh, sorry. First you criticized for being nice. Now, you get angry when I act the way you seem to want me to do---conforming to the overarching tone of anger that you and others present.

I prefer to be a nice guy, so decide. Because I can go the other way, if that suits you. Just let me know if you want AC or DC, because I aim to discuss in ways that you and others undestand best.

The criticism was for hypocrisy. If you were going to stop complaining about tone policing, that's fine. But continuing to complain about the accusation while engaging in what you objected to was funny!

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #37884 on: June 11, 2020, 03:46:57 PM »

Do you disagree with the general statement or do you agree, but just seek to avoid doing so by focusing on Atlanta?

Georgia has gerrymandering, but that is not what caused Tuesday's debacle. I do think it may have been behind the failure to implement training properly, but it is very hard to say without concrete evidence. Certainly plenty of other factors available not caused by the GOP.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #37885 on: June 11, 2020, 03:47:41 PM »

Republicans close voting sites in majority Black neighborhoods to make it more difficult for them to vote.  In Georgia, 1.5 years ago, they tried to close 7 of 9 in a majority Black county before getting called on it and canceling those plans.

So do I think its very possible what happened in Atlanta is the result of a years long effort to degrade the voting infrastructure of minority neighborhoods?  Fuck yes.

I think it was mostly improper training and incompetence

NeedsAdjustments

• View Profile
« Reply #37886 on: June 11, 2020, 03:48:16 PM »

I think it was mostly improper training and incompetence

I'm sure you do.  Its certainly what you want to think.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37887 on: June 11, 2020, 03:49:40 PM »

Needs - it's both sides.

Translation, Kiid Still can’t talk about what he is doing. Deep down he is deeply deeply ashamed of himself. Sadly, somehow he still blames his parents.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37888 on: June 11, 2020, 03:52:16 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/us/chicago-police-union-stance-on-kneeling

Camden and Minneapolis are telling Chicago it no longer has to put up with this.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
A parrot bit me.
Pages: 1 ... 2524 2525 [2526] 2527 2528 ... 4288