Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2560 2561 [2562] 2563 2564 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1795557 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #38415 on: June 15, 2020, 02:42:50 PM »

Study: Widespread Face Mask Use Is Best Way To Prevent Another COVID-19 Wave
In fact, across all modeled scenarios, if 50% or more of any given population were to wear masks outside regularly, that would be enough to drop the R number to below one. As mentioned earlier, an R number below one is believed to be what it will take to stop future waves and avoid further strict lockdowns.

If 100% of a population adopts masks all the time, that would prevent the coronavirus from resurfacing long enough (18 months, roughly) for a vaccine to be developed.

It may seem too late to adopt such a policy, but the research also suggests that a 100% mask adoption policy can still stop a second wave as long as it begins within 120 days of the epidemic starting. Moreover, homemade masks are very effective at stopping the virus’ spread. It’s estimated that such masks are still 90% effective at stopping transmission.

Mask up!
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38416 on: June 15, 2020, 02:46:24 PM »

Study: Widespread Face Mask Use Is Best Way To Prevent Another COVID-19 Wave
In fact, across all modeled scenarios, if 50% or more of any given population were to wear masks outside regularly, that would be enough to drop the R number to below one. As mentioned earlier, an R number below one is believed to be what it will take to stop future waves and avoid further strict lockdowns.

If 100% of a population adopts masks all the time, that would prevent the coronavirus from resurfacing long enough (18 months, roughly) for a vaccine to be developed.

It may seem too late to adopt such a policy, but the research also suggests that a 100% mask adoption policy can still stop a second wave as long as it begins within 120 days of the epidemic starting. Moreover, homemade masks are very effective at stopping the virus’ spread. It’s estimated that such masks are still 90% effective at stopping transmission.

Mask up!

Your earlier (and early) statements about the CDC and WHO mask guideline failures/inadequacy (as well as my inappropriate defense of them) continue to resonate in my head as I read about the new suggestions for social distancing vs. masks rather than with.

Along with the "can stay in the air for 14 minutes" and the "loud voices" parts of what we've learned.

And I think of Tulsa's upcoming event and I cringe.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38417 on: June 15, 2020, 02:48:44 PM »

A follow-up to the issue of the Trump Rally's COVID-19 waiver form...

An individual cannot by signing such a waiver also waive anybody else's rights to sue, to find the Trump Reelection Campaign (or the venue, etc.) responsible for their illness or (wrongful) death.

Somehow, I am not sure that the Trumpsters have given that full consideration.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38418 on: June 15, 2020, 03:03:53 PM »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #38419 on: June 15, 2020, 03:14:23 PM »

That was a pleasant surprise.

I could have foreseen Roberts. But never Gorsuch.
From Gorsuch

An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it wouldn’t have questioned in members of a different sex. Sex plays a necessary and undisguisable role in the decision, exactly what Title VII forbids.”

Imagine that. Relying on the text of Title VII.
Trump vowed to replace Scalia with a Justice of similar visions of the law.
Gorsuch delivered on this one.

kidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #38420 on: June 15, 2020, 03:19:33 PM »

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2020/06/15/oluwatoyin-salau-found-dead-tallahassee-black-lives-matter-protest-missing/3190606001/

Salau was killed. In addition, they also found a 75 year old outspoken liberal killed. They've arrested a suspect, but not much else is known.

Aaron Glee Jr, arrested twice recently for violent offenses...

- and let out, evidently.
- Prayers for Paul Pelosi -

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38421 on: June 15, 2020, 03:30:26 PM »

From Gorsuch

An employer who fires an individual for being homosexual or transgender fires that person for traits or actions it wouldn’t have questioned in members of a different sex. Sex plays a necessary and undisguisable role in the decision, exactly what Title VII forbids.”

Perhaps, but using the drafter's original intent to interpret statutory language is a pretty easy out, and one it is fairly easy to see Scalia taking.
Please. Accept the mystery.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #38422 on: June 15, 2020, 03:35:35 PM »

https://t.co/KYGjCBIGSS?fbclid=IwAR0IZtiWu3LOYtNU31sDGPBi45nXPZ2J0KDJaFWtGPkpykHYmYiS3F7qshs

U.S. Embassy In South Korea Removes Its Black Lives Matter Banner

Amid the uproar over policing and racism in America, the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, South Korea, hung a large banner on Saturday that said, "Black Lives Matter" on the front of the mission. Two days later, it has taken the banner down.

The embassy tweeted a photo of the banner on Saturday, along with this message in both English and Korean: "The U.S. Embassy stands in solidarity with fellow Americans grieving and peacefully protesting to demand positive change. Our #BlackLivesMatter banner shows our support for the fight against racial injustice and police brutality as we strive to be a more inclusive & just society."

Bloomberg and Reuters report that the banner was taken down after President Trump expressed displeasure with it.

According to CNN, the embassy received the removal request from the part of the State Department that's home to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's offices. The request "cited as its reason the fact that Black Lives Matter is a non-profit organization and that the US government does not encourage contributions to the group or promote any specific organization," per CNN's source.

Embassy spokesman William Coleman told Reuters that the ambassador's intent was not to encourage donations to any specific organization.

"To avoid the misperception that American taxpayer dollars were spent to benefit such organizations, he directed that the banner be removed," Coleman told the news

The "US government" promotes many specific organizations and works to tear down others. Just listen to/read what President Trump has to say, whether about his own institutions or places like Planned Parenthood.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38423 on: June 15, 2020, 03:38:51 PM »

From Gorsuch

Yet, so many conservatives feel differently:

https://theweek.com/speedreads/920080/conservatives-blast-gorsuch-after-lgbtq-discrimination-decision-among-worst-jurists-history-united-states
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38424 on: June 15, 2020, 03:40:53 PM »

Anti-First Amendment Trump Administration:Former National Security Adviser John Bolton's new memoir is scheduled to come out next week — but the Trump administration will reportedly mount a last-minute effort to block it.

The Trump administration is "expected to file a lawsuit in federal court seeking an injunction to block the book from being released in its current form," and the lawsuit "could come as soon as today," ABC News reports.

https://theweek.com/speedreads/920101/trump-administration-reportedly-file-lawsuit-block-john-boltons-book
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38425 on: June 15, 2020, 04:09:03 PM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

FlyingVProd

• View Profile
« Reply #38426 on: June 15, 2020, 04:30:22 PM »

As we defund the police and as we close down prisons, the prison in Lancaster, California, needs to be shut down and bull-dozed. The prison can be replaced by a movie studio, to create good healthy jobs for people, and a lot of filmmakers like to make movies in the desert. The Antelope Valley could also build a Chevy Corvette factory, they can make electric Corvettes. There are many healthy businesses which can replace the prison when the prison is shut down.

Also, there can be a lot of manufacturing in Mojave.

And we need to hire more teachers for the children, and we need more after school programs, etc.

So you have more after school programs and music lessons for the children of color, and fewer cops.

The children need music lessons, and acting lessons, and they need to be taught about film, and there are also sports, and dance, and poetry, and architecture, and fashion design, there are many things that the children can learn, and we can have a healthier society, and fewer people in prison. More teachers, and fewer cops.

We need to have a great awakening, and a great enlightenment, and a renaissance.

We also need bookstores at the train stations, and at the Greyhound bus stations, etc. We need to get people to read books. And having a good book and a nice snack always makes the train ride better.

There is a lot that we can do.

We need to have more doctors in our society, and fewer convicts. We need more colleges, and fewer prisons. And there are many healthy jobs which can be created.

Salute,

Tony V.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38427 on: June 15, 2020, 04:32:49 PM »

But the bottomline is that this situation should never have escalated to the level it did and these police officers will be doing time and looking for another line of work.

How do you think it should have played out?

I think that the officers when they got the call from their dispatcher should have been thinking
"this sounds like the makings of a comedy not a tragedy with a deadly end."  I would have seen
the humor in this man's situation and probably would have asked him "what did you order that took so long for them to deliver and is someone at home waiting for their dinner?"
From what I saw of the video things were pretty calm until the breathalyzer and then the handcuffs.
I have seen police give someone a break before and had benefitted in my youth from a sympathic
officer.  But that was a long time ago when DUI fines were not considered a major revenue stream
for the police and courts. 
I think the officers could easily have said something like, "Ok, you should not be driving after drinking and your blood Alcohol is a little over (I don't know what it was or even if the number was
above the LEGAL limit).  but we are going to get your order from these nice people at Wendy's and then we are going to drive you home. You can pick up your car tomorrow, Ok?

Now, you may think that that scenario would never happen but I can assure you that in certain
Zip codes, it happens all the time with white officers and white drivers...especially those located by
the local country clubs.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #38428 on: June 15, 2020, 04:35:46 PM »

https://t.co/KYGjCBIGSS?fbclid=IwAR0IZtiWu3LOYtNU31sDGPBi45nXPZ2J0KDJaFWtGPkpykHYmYiS3F7qshs

U.S. Embassy In South Korea Removes Its Black Lives Matter Banner

Amid the uproar over policing and racism in America, the U.S. Embassy in Seoul, South Korea, hung a large banner on Saturday that said, "Black Lives Matter" on the front of the mission. Two days later, it has taken the banner down.

The embassy tweeted a photo of the banner on Saturday, along with this message in both English and Korean: "The U.S. Embassy stands in solidarity with fellow Americans grieving and peacefully protesting to demand positive change. Our #BlackLivesMatter banner shows our support for the fight against racial injustice and police brutality as we strive to be a more inclusive & just society."

Bloomberg and Reuters report that the banner was taken down after President Trump expressed displeasure with it.

According to CNN, the embassy received the removal request from the part of the State Department that's home to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo's offices. The request "cited as its reason the fact that Black Lives Matter is a non-profit organization and that the US government does not encourage contributions to the group or promote any specific organization," per CNN's source.

Embassy spokesman William Coleman told Reuters that the ambassador's intent was not to encourage donations to any specific organization.

"To avoid the misperception that American taxpayer dollars were spent to benefit such organizations, he directed that the banner be removed," Coleman told the news

The "US government" promotes many specific organizations and works to tear down others. Just listen to/read what President Trump has to say, whether about his own institutions or places like Planned Parenthood.

How to treat allies...

No thought given to South Korea’s dominant popular entertainment genre being driven by American black culture.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #38429 on: June 15, 2020, 05:05:11 PM »

cracka wont beat my ass

#####

Racist.
Some people think it's a good idea.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2020, 05:06:42 PM by bambu. »
Pages: 1 ... 2560 2561 [2562] 2563 2564 ... 4288