Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2955 2956 [2957] 2958 2959 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 2009457 times)

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #44340 on: July 23, 2020, 09:35:28 PM »

Starting to think pro Trump positions are a case of "there's less there than meets the eye. " 

For the record,  not that there is one,  I'm pretty far to the Left.   IOW,  I reside where there's a lot of creative ferment on how to have "economics as if people mattered. "  My stance is unabashedly extreme:  I think life predicated on the notion of "I want to buy lots of cool shit" is a shallow one.   If you are wedded to someone whose life is dedicated to material wealth,  and/or being "better" than others,  dump them and go find a real person.  JMO.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44341 on: July 23, 2020, 09:38:24 PM »

Cops kill a guy with no compunction on video and when people gather to complain they are immediately met with violence from those sworn to Protect and Serve.

You kill my dog - I kill 18 members of your family
Thats the Portland mentality

West Wing Season One -

Bartlett's first big decision

Proportional response - this is what the nation does

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXJRVVgz5aU&feature=youtu.be

Let loose on the streets, folks in Portland want extreme (unproportional) mayhem.

Lord have mercy.

If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44342 on: July 23, 2020, 09:41:11 PM »

The Mayor of the whitest  city in the nation

Any more stats you want to make up?
Portland demographics 
White alone, percent   77.1%
Black or African American alone, percent 5.8%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone, percent 0.7%
Asian alone, percent 8.1%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, percent0.7%
Two or More Races, percent 5.5%
Hispanic or Latino, percent 9.7%
White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, 70.7  percent

Census.gov

Like I said, Ward.

Portland is not the whitest city in the US. It's not the 2nd whitest city in the US. Not if you count Hispanics. Not if you exclude Hispanics.

It's just not.

I am sure, knowing you, that you will either ignore this or make up some criterion by which you will then say that you are right, like "starting with P" or something.

But your statement was wrong, wrong, wrong.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44343 on: July 23, 2020, 09:42:52 PM »

News Item

Former U.S. Rep. Michael Myers (d) was charged this week with conspiring to violate voting rights by fraudulently stuffing Pennsylvania  ballot boxes for specific candidates in several primary elections, bribery and obstruction, the Justice Department said Thursday.
The Justice Department said Thursday Myers has been charged this week with conspiring and bribing the former Judge of Elections for the 39th Ward, 36th Division, Domenick J. Demuro. Demuro had pleaded guilty previously in federal court and was responsible for overseeing the entire election process and all voter activities of his division in accord with federal and state election laws.
Myers, 77, is accused of stuffing ballot boxes for candidates during the 2014, 2015 and 2016 primary elections, bribing Demuro, falsifying records, voting more that once in federal elections, and obstruction of justice.

How do you know about this? Oh yeah. He got caught.

Another relic of the past on his way into the dock.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44344 on: July 23, 2020, 09:43:33 PM »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44345 on: July 23, 2020, 09:44:14 PM »

News Item

Former U.S. Rep. Michael Myers (d) was charged this week with conspiring to violate voting rights by fraudulently stuffing Pennsylvania  ballot boxes for specific candidates in several primary elections, bribery and obstruction, the Justice Department said Thursday.
The Justice Department said Thursday Myers has been charged this week with conspiring and bribing the former Judge of Elections for the 39th Ward, 36th Division, Domenick J. Demuro. Demuro had pleaded guilty previously in federal court and was responsible for overseeing the entire election process and all voter activities of his division in accord with federal and state election laws.
Myers, 77, is accused of stuffing ballot boxes for candidates during the 2014, 2015 and 2016 primary elections, bribing Demuro, falsifying records, voting more that once in federal elections, and obstruction of justice.

How do you know about this? Oh yeah. He got caught.

Another relic of the past on his way into the dock.

and as I said when I posted the article a few hours earlier, deserving of having his right to vote taken away.

Among other things.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44346 on: July 23, 2020, 09:46:18 PM »

Let loose on the streets, folks in Portland want extreme (unproportional) mayhem.

What "mayhem" is not proportional to the cops killing a man, kiidcarter8?

Again, point to actions by Portland protesters you think is so out of line.

DHS was given a chance, and all they could come up with was graffiti and broken fences.
That Ted Wheeler Episode last night  was a hoot...booed by the rioters then tear gassed by the police.

The Mayor of the whitest  city in the nation trying to lead  a riot over nothing reduced to tears of rejection by the mob and his own police department’s reaction to the lawlessness.
Priceless.

I think you underestimate the power of that moment.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44347 on: July 23, 2020, 09:50:23 PM »

You have no right to insult, without just cause.

So, ye shall reap what ye shall sow.

Where you are the sole individual who gets to decide what is or is not "just cause."

And back to the threat.

And the ongoing misogyny.

Would you like to form a rules  committee to decide what I think is grounds for engaging an angry adolescent on this forum?

I'll be happy to sit on that committee, as one who has received countless threats, insults, and very strange comments since arriving here shortly ago.

I know, it's different than the mainstream idiocy you feature here, but my own idiocy has its special charm, and my perspective has great value since it does not conform to yours or to those who you like to label as racists, misogynists, transphobic, or whatever the "woke term of the du jour" may be.

Seriously, you put up with this bullshit of "fuck off" and "fuck you" and "asswipe" and "asshole" and "I'll slap you and you'll like it" from everyone else, but I justifiably call out the little Princess of Prospect Park and suddenly it's OMG, there's a stranger in our midst!

I didn;t see you jumping into the fray when the Little Princess and bankshot were exchanging far worse insults, just last week.

Can't you see you are the problem, and not the solution, josh?

Everything is just so unfair.

You sound like Trump. Come in with false swag and whine when your bullshit gets taken to the upper deck.

Change your name and try again.

Blow me, bitch. You don't know shit about fuck.

I only know you from what you say in this forum.

I’m the same guy in here I am everywhere else on line.

Lyndon Johnson

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44348 on: July 23, 2020, 09:51:51 PM »

ECHO

I called Needs Amity.  UNO just picked it up.  Needs has made it no secret that is where he is from

I wont post it again.  My bad.

Needs? You’re from the Ville?

heh

Larry, Larry, Larry. Read all the posts you missed before you post.

You sound stupid, now.

You are a parading ass-face, Utley-uno, a dog who’s bitten off it’s own balls and now doesn’t know which way to turn. Please, give us more of your sad bleating and whining.

You claim to be purple, but you are yellow with brown trim, an unflushed toilet with a mold infestation.

As long as you found a place to be ugly and you feel at home there, you must be doing alright.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #44349 on: July 23, 2020, 09:52:59 PM »

ECHO

I called Needs Amity.  UNO just picked it up.  Needs has made it no secret that is where he is from

heh

You sound stupid, now.

You are a parading ass-face, Utley-uno, a dog who’s bitten off it’s own balls and now doesn’t know which way to turn. Please, give us more of your sad bleating and whining.

You claim to be purple, but you are yellow with brown trim, an unflushed toilet with a mold infestation.

As long as you found a place to be ugly and you feel at home there, you must be doing alright.

Piggy is pretending he is not Ham.

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #44350 on: July 23, 2020, 10:03:26 PM »

The Mayor of the whitest  city in the nation

Any more stats you want to make up?
Portland demographics 
White alone, percent   77.1%
Black or African American alone, percent 5.8%
American Indian and Alaska Native alone, percent 0.7%
Asian alone, percent 8.1%
Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone, percent0.7%
Two or More Races, percent 5.5%
Hispanic or Latino, percent 9.7%
White alone, not Hispanic or Latino, 70.7  percent

Census.gov

Like I said, Ward.

Portland is not the whitest city in the US. It's not the 2nd whitest city in the US. Not if you count Hispanics. Not if you exclude Hispanics.

It's just not.

I am sure, knowing you, that you will either ignore this or make up some criterion by which you will then say that you are right, like "starting with P" or something.

But your statement was wrong, wrong, wrong.
No it wasn’t.

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44351 on: July 23, 2020, 10:09:03 PM »

ECHO

heh

You sound stupid, now.

Does Larry ever let you crank the organ grinder, too, or do you just dance to his tune?

STFU, bigot.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44352 on: July 23, 2020, 10:10:43 PM »

What "mayhem" is not proportional to the cops killing a man, kiidcarter8?

Again, point to actions by Portland protesters you think is so out of line.

DHS was given a chance, and all they could come up with was graffiti and broken fences.
That Ted Wheeler Episode last night  was a hoot...booed by the rioters then tear gassed by the police.

The Mayor of the whitest  city in the nation trying to lead  a riot over nothing reduced to tears of rejection by the mob and his own police department’s reaction to the lawlessness.
Priceless.

I think you underestimate the power of that moment.

Red & Kiid’s consistent misreads, well aligned with the string of clueless fuck-ups from the podium and the propaganda outfits our resident Vichy successionist apartheid fans post links to and get their information from, makes me think the right hasn’t processed that the events of the last few months have really happened and the blame is squarely and incontrovertibly at their feet.

Nixon, Raygun, and the bushes turned up the heat on racist and classist oppression. Bill tried to co-opt it and balance it with increased opportunities and a peace dividend. It only grew. Barack tried to turn it back, but took the considered conservative course rather than letting the issue consume his administration and instead just being the finest president in half a century and leaving the country in great shape for his successor.

Trump, all malice and no man, has moved this issue to the top of the chain by both showing how far racial violence and repression of descent can go when a malignant idiot is in charge and by showing that, with constant lying, hiding one’s past, and courting help from foreign adversaries and domestic criminal factions, a malignant idiot can be placed in charge then hang around like the world’s worst VD for years.

The moment is now. The issues are urgent.

Keep marching.
Republicans will deliver only poverty and world war

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44353 on: July 23, 2020, 10:11:00 PM »

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #44354 on: July 23, 2020, 10:11:40 PM »

i know we like to compare Trump with Hitler etc, and the secret police trampling human rights in Portland as SS, but this reminds me of the Putin's army of unmarked military enforcers injected into Ukraine several years ago to disrupt the democratic growing process there.

Yup.  Goes to bodiddley's point too.  Don't sleep on these forces being used to disrupt free and fair elections.

Couldn't happen here?  So much has already happened just this year that I never thought could happen here.

The ease in whch Trump has adopted authoritarian measures to try and rebuild his political base and with little blowback from his party is scary. I posted earlier this year that Trump wanted a '68 Chicago backdrop for his convention to stress law and order and crack heads. He may not get exactly that but that SOB and his AG Barr will do their his damnedest to manufacturer a political criisis from which they hope to profit. The fact that Americans legally engaged in 1st amendment rights and our democracy have been abused by his party of new fascism will be damned by historians and Americans well when the sad history of this time is printed.  One can only hope it will also be damned in November 2020.

VOTE

If the average white guy is more afraid of “rampaging hordes of black and brown” people (Caravans, anyone?) than a plague that is gonna touch him and his loved ones sooner or later then the nation is done.

I hope everyone who wanted “their country” back is happy.

That would be "then", Lawrence, not "than".

Shouldve paid attention in 5th grade, instead of sulking because you got picked last in the pick-up basketball game at recess.

Of course I got picked last in pick up games.

Short, fat, glasses and a limp.  What else?

Before my leg went totally south my second year of college I played a lot of pick up. Can’t run, can’t jump (half court all about positioning and angles) but the rules in our backyard for going inside to eat was you weren’t done until you hit 10 in a row or swished 5 straight.

“Fat boy can’t shoot!” and by the time the scam was revealed we’d be up five. After that I could hang at the perimeter and dare them not to come out “Don’t cover me, see what happens!”

What happened would be my boy Steve-O (RIP) had serious game and all I had to do was get him the ball with enough space to face up.

Steve and I were buds from kindergarten at Northeast School to Hampton institute class of 80.
He was All county in baseball and soccer.

In the early 90s I represented players from HBCUs in Israel.

In 2004 Ken Jennings kicked my ass on Jeopardy!

Have a seat.

Lyndon Johnson
Pages: 1 ... 2955 2956 [2957] 2958 2959 ... 4288