Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3093 3094 [3095] 3096 3097 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1584187 times)

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #46410 on: August 07, 2020, 01:02:11 PM »

Fuck off.

Okay, David Duke.

Your ad hominem is assuming that the mere fact Seth Rogen said something means you can just say "puhleeze."  As if only special qualified people can make a good point, and you will only actually address their points if they are the special qualified people.   Then you go off on a tangent about how some NGO decided Ilhan Omar is antisemitic, as if that it is actually an argument against Seth Rogen's comments.  Rogen and Omar are two different people, who have said different things and have different perspectives.   As you have preached here, if you have an issue with Rogen then you should directly address his comments and articulate how he is wrong and present evidence.

oilcan

« Reply #46411 on: August 07, 2020, 01:16:20 PM »

Krug Man talks about the dead cat bounce, and what follows. 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/08/06/opinion/coronavirus-us-recession.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

I’m not sure how many people realize just how much deeper the coronavirus recession of 2020 could have been. Obviously it was terrible: Employment plunged, and real G.D.P. fell by around 10 percent. Almost all of that, however, reflected the direct effects of the pandemic, which forced much of the economy into lockdown.

What didn’t happen was a major second round of job losses driven by plunging consumer demand. Millions of workers lost their regular incomes; without federal aid, they would have been forced to slash spending, causing millions more to lose their jobs. Luckily Congress stepped up to the plate with special aid to the unemployed, which sustained consumer spending and kept the nonquarantined parts of the economy afloat.

Now that aid has expired. Democrats offered a plan months ago to maintain benefits, but Republicans can’t even agree among themselves on a counteroffer. Even if an agreement is hammered out — and there’s no sign that this is imminent — it will be weeks before the money is flowing again.

The suffering among cut-off families will be immense, but there will also be broad damage to the economy as a whole. How big will this damage be? I’ve been doing the math, and it’s terrifying....

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46413 on: August 07, 2020, 01:37:57 PM »

Fuck off.

Okay, David Duke.

Your ad hominem is assuming that the mere fact Seth Rogen said something means you can just say "puhleeze."  As if only special qualified people can make a good point, and you will only actually address their points if they are the special qualified people.   Then you go off on a tangent about how some NGO decided Ilhan Omar is antisemitic, as if that it is actually an argument against Seth Rogen's comments.  Rogen and Omar are two different people, who have said different things and have different perspectives.   As you have preached here, if you have an issue with Rogen then you should directly address his comments and articulate how he is wrong and present evidence.

Even Rogen has an issue with Rogen.

Rogen’s comments immediately lit up “Jewish Twitter.” They unleashed a flurry of critical op-eds in Jewish and Israeli media. And they prompted Rogen to call Isaac Herzog, the head of the Jewish Agency, a major non-profit that works to foster relations between Israel and the Jewish world.

In a Facebook post, Herzog said he and Rogen had a frank and open conversation. He said Rogen “was misunderstood and apologized” for his comments.

“I told him that many Israelis and Jews around the world were personally hurt by his statement, which implies the denial of Israel’s right to exist,” Herzog wrote.

In an interview with the Israeli daily Haaretz, Rogen said he called Herzog at the urging of his mother and he denied apologizing. He said the comments were made in jest and misconstrued.

"I don’t want Jews to think that I don’t think Israel should exist. And I understand how they could have been led to think that,” he said.

Understand, too, that the Palestinians and the Arabs and the Somalians don't want Israel to exist.

The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46415 on: August 07, 2020, 01:43:21 PM »

I'm not overly impressed with that list:

This list included:
1. Accusing American Jewry of possessing dual loyalty.
I sometimes think the US Gov't has dual loyalty when it comes to Israel.
Just look at Trump's Ambassador to Israel

2. Alleging that Jews buy their influence with money, infamously stating “It’s all about the Benjamins.”
I think many groups and many countries buy influence.  The Saudis certainly do.  And yes, this can play into anti-semitic tropes.

3. Accusing Israel of having hypnotized the world.
Don't have time to go into this here, but I do think historic and current anti-semitism in Europe is much worse and widespread than the American variety. 

4. Supporting the antisemitic Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign against Israel.

I support it too, but not with any anti-Jewish or abolish Israel goal that folks get accused of, but to hopefully redirect certain Israeli policies regarding Palestinians

5. Submitting a resolution in the House of Representatives comparing boycotting Israel to boycotting the Nazis.
Not familiar with this, though it really does irk Israel when people compare their behavior as Palestinian oppressor to Nazis.  Again, I have no problem with the boycott movement.  Likely not the rhetoric I would use, but attention-getting.

6. Having her antisemitic statements endorsed by infamous neo-Nazi David Duke.
Not exactly something she's done.  Though if that's the case, it would be good if she denounced him as an anti-semite white nationalist.

I haven't really followed Ilhan Omar much, and some of her rhetoric can be questionable.  And of course the context matters.  Most politicians are very careful with their language when they discuss Jews or Israel; she's not.

But isn't it rather a farce to dub her the "Biggest Antisemite of the Year"
If she's the biggest anti-semite in 2019, than anti-semitism isn't much of a problem any more.  They probably should dub her the biggest anti-semite in Congress or of US elected officials or something more in line with reality.

I don't think it would take more than a millisecond to unearth some skinheads or neo-nazis or white nationalists that make Omar look like Golda Meir.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46416 on: August 07, 2020, 01:49:45 PM »

Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #46417 on: August 07, 2020, 02:00:48 PM »

In case your geography isn't great, that's entering Europe from what today is southern Russia but was then Mongolian Empire territory, spreading along the Black Sea and out into the Mediteranean.  Infecting what is today Turkey on the way, but was then the Byzantine Empire (and Constantinople, a century away form becoming Istanbul).  Then on to Greece and Sicily where it spread from Southern Europe to Western Europe, before looping over to Eastern Europe and Russia.

30% - 50% of Europeans died during the Plague.  Took Europe 200 years to reach the same population level.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46418 on: August 07, 2020, 02:01:29 PM »

If redone today COVID-19 would move 4 spots to the left, pushing it ahead of everything from the last 100 years except AIDS/HIV, which is a different kind of problem and the Hong Kong Flu of 1968-70, with a strong likelihood of passing the latter event within a few months.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46419 on: August 07, 2020, 02:01:49 PM »

I'm not overly impressed with that list:

This list included:
1. Accusing American Jewry of possessing dual loyalty.
I sometimes think the US Gov't has dual loyalty when it comes to Israel.
Just look at Trump's Ambassador to Israel

2. Alleging that Jews buy their influence with money, infamously stating “It’s all about the Benjamins.”
I think many groups and many countries buy influence.  The Saudis certainly do.  And yes, this can play into anti-semitic tropes.

3. Accusing Israel of having hypnotized the world.
Don't have time to go into this here, but I do think historic and current anti-semitism in Europe is much worse and widespread than the American variety. 

4. Supporting the antisemitic Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions (BDS) campaign against Israel.

I support it too, but not with any anti-Jewish or abolish Israel goal that folks get accused of, but to hopefully redirect certain Israeli policies regarding Palestinians

5. Submitting a resolution in the House of Representatives comparing boycotting Israel to boycotting the Nazis.
Not familiar with this, though it really does irk Israel when people compare their behavior as Palestinian oppressor to Nazis.  Again, I have no problem with the boycott movement.  Likely not the rhetoric I would use, but attention-getting.

6. Having her antisemitic statements endorsed by infamous neo-Nazi David Duke.
Not exactly something she's done.  Though if that's the case, it would be good if she denounced him as an anti-semite white nationalist.

I haven't really followed Ilhan Omar much, and some of her rhetoric can be questionable.  And of course the context matters.  Most politicians are very careful with their language when they discuss Jews or Israel; she's not.

But isn't it rather a farce to dub her the "Biggest Antisemite of the Year"
If she's the biggest anti-semite in 2019, than anti-semitism isn't much of a problem any more.  They probably should dub her the biggest anti-semite in Congress or of US elected officials or something more in line with reality.

I don't think it would take more than a millisecond to unearth some skinheads or neo-nazis or white nationalists that make Omar look like Golda Meir.

Purdue’s altering images of Ossoff for his ads to give him a more stereotypically Jewish nose shows more anti-semitism, regardless of his positions on Israel, than anything put forward by Rep. Omar.

Israel hawks and friends of Bibi are frequently trying to push the world quickly toward a “biblical” end rather than act on any warm feelings they have toward Jews.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #46420 on: August 07, 2020, 02:10:27 PM »

https://thehill.com/regulation/court-battles/511010-judge-rules-woman-who-accused-trump-of-rape-can-proceed-with?fbclid=IwAR0RuV60642SWuKYCLX7s_nS2tdSNbmlgwHS9JBCnH1s7_zqNn6l17RAvxY

Defamation suit against Trump proceeds.

The decision opens the door for Carroll’s attorneys to collect DNA samples from the president, which they hope to compare to genetic material on the dress she said she wore during the incident. Trump's team can also move forward with seeking depositions with Carroll and other possible witnesses.

Yeah...right.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #46421 on: August 07, 2020, 02:20:53 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/media/minneapolis-star-tribune-endorses-ilhan-omar-opponent

Omar 15 minutes may be up         

She scares the shit out of you... good.

Actually not a big fan of hers myself. Too much hate speech comes from her.
But then, your definition of hate speech is being assertive about the problems of minority communities.

Actually, no. Dumbfuck.

Her particular kind of hate speech is well documented.

Let's just it doesn't start with, "Yo, Semites!"
My apologies. You are scratching a different itch this morning.  I will amend:

But then your definition of hate speech is being critical of Israel while Muslim.

You should stick to defining speech for yourself, not me.

Because I tend to deal with what's reality, not your perception of it.

Being critical of Israel is one thing, but trafficking in the usual anti-Semitic tropes that too many Muslims and others use is another.

I think if you vote for a Democrat, you are very, very disloyal to Israel and to the Jewish people,” Trump said in an exchange with reporters outside the White House before departing for an event in Kentucky.
On Tuesday, Trump had criticized Democrats over the views of Reps. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) and Ilhan Omar (D-Minn.). Both women have long been fierce critics of Israel and its treatment of Palestinians. They support the Boycott, Divestment and Sanctions movement, a global protest of Israel.
He had accused Jewish people of “great disloyalty” if they vote for Democrats, although he did not say at the time disloyalty to whom.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/trump-says-that-jewish-people-who-vote-for-democrats-are-very-disloyal-to-israel-denies-his-remarks-are-anti-semitic/2019/08/21/055e53bc-c42d-11e9-b5e4-54aa56d5b7ce_story.html

I support BDS as I did against South Africa.

Israel today is not the Israel of the early 90s when my partners and I were representing basketball players for Hopoel Hulon.

In an interview, Omar Barghouti, a top B.D.S. spokesman, called the Israeli laws racist and exclusionary. A democratic state could still provide asylum for Jewish refugees, showing “some sensitivity to the Jewish experience,” he said, “but it cannot be a racist law that says only Jews benefit.” Asked if that means Jews cannot have their own state, he said, “Not in Palestine.”
Source: Nytimes

Some other quotes gathered for you from BDS leaders:

“If the refugees were to return, you would not have a two-state solution, you’d have a Palestine next to a Palestine.”

–Omar Barghouti quoting Sari Nusseibeh, President of Al Quds University. You can also hear him say this around 4:56 of this video.

“The ‘two state solution,’…as dictated by Israel, omits basic Palestinian rights…[and] would be yet another act of British complicity in bestowing legitimacy on Israel’s unjust order.”

–Omar Barghouti

“A Jewish state in Palestine in any shape or form cannot but contravene the basic rights of the indigenous Palestinian population and perpetuate a system of racial discrimination that ought to be opposed categorically….Definitely, most definitely we oppose a Jewish state in any part of Palestine. No Palestinian, rational Palestinian, not a sell-out Palestinian, will ever accept a Jewish state in Palestine.”

–Omar Barghouti

“You cannot reconcile the right of return for refugees with a two state solution….a return for refugees would end Israel’s existence as a Jewish state. A two-state solution was never moral and it’s no longer working.”

-Omar Barghouti

“[Jews] did not suffer in Arab countries. There were no pogroms. There was no persecution.”

–Omar Barghouti

“The BDS movement was launched because of the ongoing failure to protect the rights of the Palestinian people. Some of these rights were frittered away: The Right of Return is in danger, the right of our people to the 1948 lands is in danger, and even the right of our people to the 1967 lands. Some of these rights are ignored. The BDS movement was created in 2005, in order to focus on the elimination of the occupation, on the elimination of the system of racial segregation – the Israeli apartheid – and on the right of the refugees to return to the homes from which they were expelled.”

- Omar Barghouthi

“I clearly do not buy into the two-state solution.”

–Omar Barghouti

“If Israel finds a cure for cancer, for example, or any other virus, then there is no problem in cooperating with Israel to save millions of lives.”

–Omar Barghouti

——————————————————————————————-
“The real aim of BDS is to bring down the state of Israel….That should be stated as an unambiguous goal. There should not be any equivocation on the subject. Justice and freedom for the Palestinians are incompatible with the existence of the state of Israel.”

–As’ad AbuKhalil

That's who you support.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 02:25:08 PM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #46422 on: August 07, 2020, 02:46:51 PM »

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/screen-time-trumped-page-time-and-begat-the-post-literate-president/

The creation of the internet and World Wide web opened the greatest Pandora’s box of all time, and out of it has sprung President Donald Trump — our first post-literate president. I can’t help wondering what his presidential library is going to look like, and what could it possibly contain? Magic-marker notes? An endlessly repeating stream of tweets? A video collection of “The Apprentice”? Certainly, it should feature a holographic image of Trump, viewable in 360 degrees. Let future generations look on this man of self-aggrandizement and be warned.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46423 on: August 07, 2020, 03:02:04 PM »

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/cuomo-expected-to-announce-new-yorks-school-reopening-plan-amid-coronavirus-pandemic

Let's hear it -

Have at Cuomo, folks.
For what, following the evidence and basing his decision on scientific metrics? Would that my Governor had done that in May instead of reopening before the pandemic was controlled
The pellet with the poison's in the vessel with the pestle; the chalice with the palace has the brew that is true!

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #46424 on: August 07, 2020, 03:12:19 PM »

https://www.seattletimes.com/opinion/screen-time-trumped-page-time-and-begat-the-post-literate-president/

The creation of the internet and World Wide web opened the greatest Pandora’s box of all time, and out of it has sprung President Donald Trump — our first post-literate president. I can’t help wondering what his presidential library is going to look like, and what could it possibly contain? Magic-marker notes? An endlessly repeating stream of tweets? A video collection of “The Apprentice”? Certainly, it should feature a holographic image of Trump, viewable in 360 degrees. Let future generations look on this man of self-aggrandizement and be warned.
The library will have to close whenever somebody takes out the book. 
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan
Pages: 1 ... 3093 3094 [3095] 3096 3097 ... 4288