Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3114 3115 [3116] 3117 3118 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1583984 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #46725 on: August 10, 2020, 01:28:40 AM »

Ward, this is from 2016.
Today blacks( 8-10) want the same or MORE presence in THEIR neighborhoods

https://news.gallup.com/poll/316571/black-americans-police-retain-local-presence.aspx?utm_source=tagrss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=syndication

Hardly a testimonial to your absurdity that all cops lie.

From your piece:
Meanwhile, nearly equal proportions of Black Americans say they would like the police to spend more time in their area (20%) as say they'd like them to spend less time there (19%).

"Overwhelmingly."

You previously asked the question of why, given the regularity (vs. frequency, which is not addressed) with which police lie in court, the "overwhelming" majority of Blacks are in favor of more cops in their neighborhoods.

Source Gallup. 2020

Today Blacks (80%) want the same or LESS presence in THEIR neighborhoods.

Same fucking source.

61% want the same amount.

And gods, you're an ass.
What subject do you teach,stupidness?

21% wanted police to spend more time in their neighborhoods.

20% wanted police to spend less time in their neighborhoods.

Such a difficult concept for you to grasp that you are reduced to the same insulting behavior that you castigate others for.

And each time you lump it as "the same or MORE" I have lumped it as "the same or LESS," and your repetition makes you think you are clever and mine makes you think I am stupid.

And you think I am stupid.

Hahahahaha!
Wanna try that one again?
Of a hundred people asked
20 people want more police in the neighborhood
60 people say what we have is enough 
The remains 20 want a reduction in police 
The bottom line is only 20 ( of 100 asked) want to reduce the police presence 

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46726 on: August 10, 2020, 01:41:14 AM »

Ward, this is from 2016.

https://news.gallup.com/poll/316571/black-americans-police-retain-local-presence.aspx?utm_source=tagrss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=syndication

From your piece:
Meanwhile, nearly equal proportions of Black Americans say they would like the police to spend more time in their area (20%) as say they'd like them to spend less time there (19%).

"Overwhelmingly."

You previously asked the question of why, given the regularity (vs. frequency, which is not addressed) with which police lie in court, the "overwhelming" majority of Blacks are in favor of more cops in their neighborhoods.

Source Gallup. 2020

Same fucking source.

And gods, you're an ass.

Such a difficult concept for you to grasp that you are reduced to the same insulting behavior that you castigate others for.

And each time you lump it as "the same or MORE" I have lumped it as "the same or LESS," and your repetition makes you think you are clever and mine makes you think I am stupid.

Hahahahaha!

And only 20 want an increase.

You may remember how this started, Ward.

“The Police lie ALL the time”!
Why is it then that overwhelming numbers of blacks are in favor of MORE police, not fewer?

Having TWENTY PERCENT say they want more when TWENTY PERCENT say they want less is not "overwhelming numbers" in anybody's book but yours.

Want to try that one again?

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #46727 on: August 10, 2020, 01:48:54 AM »

Ward, this is from 2016.

From your piece:

"Overwhelmingly."

Source Gallup. 2020

Same fucking source.

And gods, you're an ass.

Hahahahaha!

Why is it then that overwhelming numbers of blacks are in favor of MORE police, not fewer?

Having TWENTY PERCENT say they want more when TWENTY PERCENT say they want less is not "overwhelming numbers" in anybody's book but yours.

No.
There are a hundred people  80 want police presence at its  present level or beyond
20 want fewer 
That’s overwhelming  support of the police 
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 01:56:00 AM by REDSTATEWARD »

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46728 on: August 10, 2020, 02:23:27 AM »

80% want it at its present level or lower. Only 20% want increased presence. All but a handful want them better behaved, allocated, and accounted for.

Keep trying Red. This is pushing hilarious.
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46729 on: August 10, 2020, 03:29:40 AM »

Ward, this is from 2016.

From your piece:

"Overwhelmingly."

Source Gallup. 2020

Same fucking source.

And gods, you're an ass.

Hahahahaha!

No.
There are a hundred people  80 want police presence at its  present level or beyond
20 want fewer 

As ever, caught being wrong and cannot admit it.

Poor widdle Ward.

"Why is it then that overwhelming numbers of blacks are in favor of MORE police, not fewer?"

You just want to pretend that you didn't say it.

But no, it isn't even "overwhelming support" of the police, when one considers what else they said.

You, of course, will keep drifting in denial of every other poll number because you don't like the meaning.

But "an overwhelming number" of Blacks know that the police treat them unfairly, even if many of those individuals also want the police to stay or even increase their time in the neighborhood.

The majority of WHITE Americans now admit that police treat Blacks unfairly.

I wonder why you can't admit it in the face of overwhelming evidence.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46730 on: August 10, 2020, 03:32:10 AM »

More than 97,000 children tested positive in last two weeks of July

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #46731 on: August 10, 2020, 03:38:54 AM »

Per Fox News -

Joe Biden has picked his running mate.

You can hear it from Joe, yourself, in the Fox video, though this is not Fox's site:
https://www.mediaite.com/news/joe-bidens-fox-trolling-mask-wearing-bike-ride-sets-twitter-ablaze-point-to-biden/

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #46732 on: August 10, 2020, 04:08:42 AM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #46733 on: August 10, 2020, 04:23:41 AM »

http://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/us_5f30aeecc5b64d7a55f53f86

Krugman elaborates on how badly trump shanked it.

Richard P. Feynman

facilitatorn

• View Profile
« Reply #46734 on: August 10, 2020, 05:03:42 AM »

http://www.newyorker.com/news/our-columnists/the-trump-campaign-tries-to-change-the-subject

Team trump doesn’t want you to think about how badly the puppethead shanked it.

Richard P. Feynman

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #46735 on: August 10, 2020, 07:28:12 AM »

Ward, this is from 2016.

From your piece:

"Overwhelmingly."

Source Gallup. 2020

Same fucking source.

And gods, you're an ass.

Hahahahaha!

No.
20 want fewer 
Heh.  Don't ever change.
"Well, I left Rome and landed in Brussels.  On a plane ride so bumpy that I almost cried. Clergy men in uniform, and young girls pulling mussels. Everyone was there to greet me when I stepped inside..."-Bob Dylan

bodiddley

• View Profile
Re: Testilying
« Reply #46736 on: August 10, 2020, 07:34:01 AM »

Then surveillance video of the episode emerged—and proved that nearly every detail of the NYPD’s account was false. Parham had immediately cooperated with Daverin; he did not resist arrest.

My father was just telling me about a similar case in my old hometown. Where a video completely contradicted the officer's sworn account of not just resisting arrest but that the suspect had attacked him.

And I tossed the term testilying my father's way.
A big problem is the police know what the proper testimony should be and often just lie and say they smelled marijuana to justify say a vehicle search, that someone resisted arrest to justify beating the crap out of them and/or tasing them, etc.
Lying by the police is a big part of the job, from questioning to suspects on the street, interrogating them at the station, to testifying in court.  Police lying is built into most aspects of the job and pervades the culture.

And I agree, police shouldn't be rewarded for being honest, but should be punished for lying and basically fraudulent policing, and hiding violent behavior.

Body cams are important to make sure police do their jobs properly and don't lie about what happened.  Also, security cameras and bystanders recording with their phones.  If we're going to live in a surveillance society, let's record what the folks with the power of state violence are up to.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46737 on: August 10, 2020, 07:57:29 AM »

In the debate over the “defund the police” movement, both Democrats and Republicans have pointed to attitudes in black communities about policing to support their opposition to the idea.

However, when it comes to policing and crime, black attitudes elude simple explanations. In polling, black people often express disgust at police racism yet support more funding for police. A 2015 Gallup poll found that black adults who believed police treated black people unfairly were also more likely to desire a larger police presence in their local area than those who thought police treated black people fairly. A 2019 Vox poll found that despite being the racial group with the most unfavorable view of the police, most black people still supported hiring more police officers. And more recently, a June 2020 Yahoo News/YouGov survey taken after the killing of George Floyd found that 50 percent of black respondents still said that “we need more cops on the street,” even as 49 percent of black respondents said when they personally see a police officer it makes them feel “less secure.”

Black people are not a monolith. Their opinions vary by age, gender, and class. These complex, seemingly contradictory feelings reflect the dilemma of being black in America. America’s political class often demands that black people decide between abysmal options — between unemployment and minimum wage, between displacement and gentrification, between peer violence and police violence.

On law enforcement, the choice black Americans have historically faced is either suffering from the shootings, beatings, and stabbings of racist cops, or suffering from violent crime in redlined neighborhoods — again, abysmal options.

When researchers actually take the time to listen to black people, however, they find black people don’t want to choose between two bad options.

“Don’t get me wrong,” writes police abolitionist Mariame Kaba in the New York Times. “We are not abandoning our communities to violence. We don’t want to just close police departments. We want to make them obsolete.”

“We should redirect the billions that now go to police departments toward providing health care, housing, education and good jobs,” Kaba continues. “If we did this, there would be less need for the police in the first place.”

In the Yahoo News/YouGov poll, most black Americans said they were more worried about police brutality against minorities than about local crime and thought the Minneapolis City Council’s pledge to dismantle their police was a “good idea.” They also favored “gradually redirecting police funding toward increasing the number of social workers, drug counselors and mental health experts responsible for responding to non-violent emergencies.”

What this is really about is prioritizing communal safety, valuing human flourishing, and desiring policy solutions not predicated on state-sanctioned anti-black violence — consider this the third way.

The false binary of more or less policing, popular among both Democrats and Republicans, artificially narrows the possibilities for public policy.

The problem with polling

As political factions seize on favored polling positions, creating a simplistic — or even misrepresentative — view of black Americans’ beliefs, there’s an even more fundamental problem: Surveys fail to measure attitudes toward complex policy solutions because they don’t poll for them.

Surveys fail to wrestle with “the myriad ways in which American racism narrowed the options available to black citizens and elected officials in their fight against crime,” as Pulitzer Prize-winning author and civil rights attorney James Forman Jr. described it. Or, as Yale Law School professor Emily Bazelon recently suggested in the New York Times, surveys show black people supporting police hiring “partly because they don’t see the government providing other resources for making their neighborhoods safe.”

Today, however, as the Black Lives Matter movement rises in popular opinion, and policymakers reckon with racism, this more-or-less policing dichotomy starts to fall apart.

The “abolish the police” movement, explained by 7 scholars and activists

A close review of innovative research from Johns Hopkins and Yale University’s Portals Policing Project and Black Futures Lab’s Black Census Project broadly indicates that black people desire more community investment alternatives, more police transparency and accountability, and an end to police racism and brutality. In other words, they want a systemic, nuanced, and meliorating approach — not an either/or.

https://www.vox.com/2020/6/17/21292046/black-people-abolish-defund-dismantle-police-george-floyd-breonna-taylor-black-lives-matter-protest

So, you folks that argue in the either/or fashion regarding this issue aren't getting this right. 
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #46738 on: August 10, 2020, 07:59:28 AM »

Wow.

Is he TRYING to lose in November?  Sounds like Grover "Give Everyone a 401k, they can manage their own retirement" Norquist has been whispering in Trump's ear.   And Trump just heard the "kill entitlement programs" but not the other part.
LOL
In response to Trump’s payroll tax forgiveness Pelosi responds that the unemployment compensation extension was “ always negotiable”.
Well it is now.

And it was then. But the GOP isn't interested in negotiation, nor have they ever been.
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #46739 on: August 10, 2020, 08:06:51 AM »

Purely to intimidate:

https://news.yahoo.com/nypd-besieges-protest-leader-broadcasts-155154569.html

De Blasio has no control over the city. He is literally Sinkin' Dinkins II.
Pages: 1 ... 3114 3115 [3116] 3117 3118 ... 4288