Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 3570 3571 [3572] 3573 3574 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1610419 times)

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #53565 on: October 16, 2020, 12:31:23 PM »

The Trump rash: https://news.yahoo.com/rare-covid-19-complication-reported-090047508.html

Why couldnt they tell us the % of KIDS with MIS-C that were black/hispanic - they were so astute in noticing the number in adults.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53566 on: October 16, 2020, 12:36:16 PM »

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #53567 on: October 16, 2020, 12:40:47 PM »

And her answer seemed to be as lots of people are concerned and talking about RvW, it seemed to her that the issue of it as a super-precedent, or even a precedent was still an open question,

Pretty certain the good Judge was saying Roe was NOT a super precedent.  There really shouldnt be any confusion on the matter

Her law journal writings and other public opinions make it crystal clear she doesn't see Roe as super-p, or settled law.   She's an Originalist, so it's pretty obvious she doesn't subscribe to Living Document theory.  Or that the Constitution has anything to say about a right to medical privacy.   If you don't know what that Living Document concept is,  it's worth looking up.   
  Apples and Oranges.  Originalism pertains to the words in the Constitution. Roe vs. Wade is not a statute, it is a court opinion establishing the legality of abortion.  Even Ginsberg thought the Court decision was not well thought out. That Barrett would not treat ROE as a super precedent is not exactly shocking since we have been arguing over it for 50 years.
As has been pointed out,  the Constitution of 1790 also has nothing to say about women having a right to vote.   Or be judges.   
Women have been voting for 100 years.  It’s an amendment to the original US Constitution.
And no one has a “right”
to be a judge 
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 12:43:19 PM by REDSTATEWARD »

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #53568 on: October 16, 2020, 12:45:01 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/15/politics/sheldon-adelson-funds-trump-super-pac/index.html

Sure would be a poor campaign without Adelson.

Adelsons.
Most of his wealth has been transferred to his wife.
She might be worth about $30B; Sheldon maybe just a few Billion.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #53569 on: October 16, 2020, 12:46:19 PM »

I was reassured by Trump's bold and humanitarian stand against pedophilia.   

I thought the GOP comparison of Biden to Mister Rogers was spot on -- somehow,  they don't get that's a plus.   Please,  GOP, keep comparing Joe to a man of impeccable character,  compassion,  intelligence and moral insight whose had one of the longest running shows in tv history!
Also, it makes Biden the closest we can get to Tom Hanks as president.

Biden as Hanks-I like that.

It was almost funny when I heard (and posted about) Sen. Sasse's deep misgivings about Trump and his incompetence as President, I took the young corh-husker to task. He was was some 3+ years too late in his criticisms, and only voiced them when the political handwriting was becoming legible.

But an epipany is an epiphany, even if the guy is a Sasse-hole.

It kind of reminded me of poor Jimmy Stewart, as "Sen Smith" and his dashed idealism when he discovers the corruption of big-time politics.

Except Sasse knew exactly what was going on,

Matybe we'll get a Capra ending to this fucking disaster of political theatre.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53570 on: October 16, 2020, 12:47:03 PM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/10/15/politics/sheldon-adelson-funds-trump-super-pac/index.html

Sure would be a poor campaign without Adelson.

Adelsons.
Most of his wealth has been transferred to his wife.
She might be worth about $30B; Sheldon maybe just a few Billion.

A fine woman she is.

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53571 on: October 16, 2020, 12:49:19 PM »

I thought the GOP comparison of Biden to Mister Rogers was spot on -- somehow,  they don't get that's a plus.   Please,  GOP, keep comparing Joe to a man of impeccable character,  compassion,  intelligence and moral insight whose had one of the longest running shows in tv history!

It was almost funny when I heard (and posted about) Sen. Sasse's deep misgivings about Trump and his incompetence as President, I took the young corh-husker to task. He was was some 3+ years too late in his criticisms, and only voiced them when the political handwriting was becoming legible.

It kind of reminded me of poor Jimmy Stewart, as "Sen Smith" and his dashed idealism when he discovers the corruption of big-time politics.

No, he is a far right Susan Collins.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53572 on: October 16, 2020, 12:56:03 PM »

Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #53573 on: October 16, 2020, 01:05:49 PM »

No, he is a far right Susan Collins.

Sasse's real concern is being a minorty party Senator with limited ability to shake-down contributors becasue there is only so far a corrupt minority party senator from Nebraska can carry their water, or Dom Perignon.

So he'll probably spend the next 2 years fighting Biden and Dems and then run for president in 2024. 

He'll be the kinder gentler younger and more articulate face of Repub authoritarianism who had some misgivings about Trump.

facilitatorn

• Bust oligopolies not unions.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53574 on: October 16, 2020, 01:21:20 PM »

Sasse’s natural talent tops him out at think tank mouth piece or corporate shill.

I would go with "Red thinks the only racism is against white people."

Joe had a gaffe tonight against whites
Ooooh a gaffe? What did he do? Praise an absolutely bonkers conspiracy theory that has as a core belief an anti-Semetic trope like the blood libel? THAT would be horrific. Unless you are Trump in which case it would be Thursday.

You missed it then?  When Biden said he would assemble a group of "blacks" and "browns" to talk about policing.....

Representatives of the Black and Brown communities is what he said. He was also including police unions in his confab, so proud boys and other neo-Nazis would also have a seat at the table. Inclusive dialogue.

Not private prisons though. Slavers seem to be losing their seats at the table despite the high esteem they’ve received under trump.

I actually watched more of the NBC than the ABC when both were on. Snowflakes don’t last very long in South Florida, so when trump slunk down the drain, I caught the rest of Biden’s statesmanship as he finished his serious discussion with voters on the direction of America’s future. I pieced back bits I missed later on YouTube.

Americans will continue to vote in droves for Biden for a number of factors. One that will keep momentum up through November third is that we know trump is working on something evil, destructive, and utterly stupid to stay in power and we don’t want this plot of the infantile to have even the slightest chance of success. We are determined to help trump fail as bigly as he usually does, this time in a way that removes him forever from the public stage.

In 2020, defeating trump and republicans is a righteous crusade. 
Will the Supreme Court grant trump work release to attend the republican national convention?

For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for Nature cannot be fooled.

Richard P. Feynman

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53575 on: October 16, 2020, 01:23:42 PM »

So he'll probably spend the next 2 years fighting Biden and Dems and then run for president in 2024.

Maybe

He'll need Jared's blessing.

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #53576 on: October 16, 2020, 01:31:06 PM »

Maybe

After pissing on Trump, I'm not sure Jared will bless Sen Sasse.

Besides if Jared is as smart as claimed he'd get the fuck out of Dodge pronto and set-up shop in Tel Aviv or Abu Dhabi.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #53577 on: October 16, 2020, 01:36:55 PM »

Maybe

After pissing on Trump, I'm not sure Jared will bless Sen Sasse.

Besides if Jared is as smart as claimed he'd get the fuck out of Dodge pronto and set-up shop in Tel Aviv or Abu Dhabi.
More likely some place without an extradition treaty.

I estimate a 33.3% chance the result of the 2020 election makes all things Trump toxic for Repos for years.
I too once met a girl in Central Park, but it is not much to remember. What I remember is the time John Wayne killed three men with a carbine as he was falling to the dusty street in Stagecoach, and the time the kitten found Orson Welles in the doorway in The Third Man.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #53578 on: October 16, 2020, 01:42:31 PM »

Nah, man - Trump got the ball rolling properly in the right direction.  The party owes him.

Would Christie have won?  I think so.  Others do not. 

How about the other candidates from '16?

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #53579 on: October 16, 2020, 01:49:33 PM »

Nah, man - Trump got the ball rolling properly in the right direction.  The party owes him.

Would Christie have won?  I think so.  Others do not. 

How about the other candidates from '16?
That you view the presidency as a pseudohereditary office sxplains a lot about your posts.  Or rather your posts make your pseudohereditary view of the presidency seem a logical extension. Cults of personality are bad. The sooner you learn that the better.

Also note the next election is in 2024. If you haven't developed a new slate of candidates by then, you have issues.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2020, 01:51:26 PM by Hairy Lime »
Pages: 1 ... 3570 3571 [3572] 3573 3574 ... 4288