Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2056 2057 [2058] 2059 2060 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1594980 times)

bodiddley

• View Profile
What the Holy Hell ...
« Reply #30855 on: April 05, 2020, 02:22:46 PM »

Was it discussed here that the promised Google website telling people where to get treatment/testing never actually existed?  So then the project was farmed out to a small company owned by Jared's brother.  Until people learned of that shadiness.  Then the whole thing was dropped.  I should find a link, but read this twice last week. I don't think ti was April's Fools.   I'm still picking up my jaw ...
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

barton

Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #30856 on: April 05, 2020, 02:23:13 PM »

In this case Hannity is assuming (may or may not be right) that Cuomo is worried about running out of the drug, thus keeping it (hoarding) from being used now - for what he may believe is unnecessary means.  And his point continues that hospitals may become more overloaded by patients showing up when their doctor could simply be allowed to fill the prescription and have them stay home.

It's at least debatable.  There is even talk of using the drug so that medical personnel are better shielded from the virus.  Again - we know it is safer to medicate after the drug goes through proper trial - but these are serious times - calling for more than just book smarts.

You and your media whore seem to lack basic understanding of off-label drug usage.  As shown by the bolded part of the quote.

You don't prescribe something with serious side effects to someone who's at home and lacking medical monitoring.   In fact,  that's precisely the situation where you dose only in a clinical setting.   As they were doing in China,  where one patient got much worse on the drug and four others developed liver damage.   

An idiot with no medical training,  i. e. Hannity,  shouldn't be spouting ignorant opinions and second guessing health professionals.   And it's not requiring "book smarts" to admit that.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30857 on: April 05, 2020, 02:57:57 PM »

Are you suggesting that the promotion of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 has not contributed to its being hoarded by people, causing a shortage of the drug?!

I am suggesting that Barton has zero evidence that sufferers of LUPUS or other diesease have died because their prescription became unavailable.  That would be both sad and improper.

There is a HUGE AMOUNT of this drug available and becoming available at a greater rate. 

Some pharmacies have run out at a particular time due to the drug being more needed across different locales/as new remedies?  I dont deny this.  But it is short term and the drug is available with a little effort outside the patient's usual source.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30858 on: April 05, 2020, 03:02:13 PM »

The concern should be if a black market pops up for this drug - though legal suppliers should still be able to meet the need.  A black market is where "patients" start running into trouble with dosing being incorrect and taking the drug for too long (I havent heard of a dependence - but thinking it is needed as prevention could be the bugaboo)

If it requires a prescription there should not be a problem.  But doctors need to make it non refillable and for a short term (2 weeks or less).

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30859 on: April 05, 2020, 03:24:01 PM »

Viral infections and parasitic infections are very different, and so scientists wouldn’t expect what works for one to work for the other. It has been suggested that the chloroquines can change the acidity at the surface of the cell, thereby preventing the virus from infecting it.

It’s also possible chloroquines help activate the immune response. One study that was just published tested hydroxychloroquine in combination with an antibacterial drug (azithromycin), which worked better to stop the spread of the infection than hydroxychloroquine alone. However it’s only one preliminary study that was done on a limited test group.

To my knowledge, no other antimalarial drugs have shown any meaningful activity against treating coronaviruses. However, another potential drug has risen to the forefront. Remdesivir, developed by Gilead Pharmaceuticals, seems to be highly effective at preventing viruses – including coronaviruses such as SARS and MERS, and filoviruses such as Ebola – from replicating.

In late February the National Institute for Allergy and Infectious Diseases launched a clinical trial for Remdesivir. And this month Gilead launched two phase III trials of the drug in medical centers in Asia.

https://theconversation.com/us/newsletters/the-daily-3

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #30860 on: April 05, 2020, 03:37:15 PM »

Everyone has to have medical help available or the spread will continue.

Have you heard that patients were turned away from testing/treatment because they lacked insurance?

Yes.

Where?

Hairy Lime

• I'm not eating one iota of shit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30861 on: April 05, 2020, 04:01:54 PM »

If people didn't kill and eat animals both people and animals would be safer and better off.  Meat = murder.  I don't really differentiate between the deaths.  The animal holocaust is endless and appalling.
I am certain cows or.pigs, were our positions on the food chain reversed, would keep us in herds and eat us without a second thought. Fuck them.

I remember Oilcanboyd (Dennis) used to post that same sentiment.   I think most vegetarians are more objecting to the factory farming aspect.   I am okay with a hunter-gatherer spearing and then thanking the prey it's going to eat.   That animal had a free life,  natural bonding with its fellows,  then a swift death when it was old and too slow to outrun the ape-things.   The agricultural revolution,  around 9500 BC,  was mostly the end of treating our prey with some respect.
Factory farming animals bad, factory farming vegetables is ok? Consider this:

She thought of the endless waves of pain that for some reason or other she and her husband had to endure; of the invisible giants hurting her boy in some unimaginable fashion; of the incalculable amount of tenderness contained in the world; of the fate of this tenderness, which is either crushed, or wasted, or transformed into madness; of neglected children humming to themselves in unswept corners; of beautiful weeds that cannot hide from the farmer and helplessly have to watch the shadow of his simian stoop leave mangled flowers in its wake, as the monstrous darkness approaches.

- VN
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #30862 on: April 05, 2020, 04:05:06 PM »

2) cows are vegetarians
Only because they have yet to taste that sweet, sweet manflesh.

1.  Your most homoerotic post to date. J/K

2.  They say humans taste like pork.   In New Guinea,  human meat used to be called "long pork. "
You clearly missed my post, in the NYT days, about naked Hungarian men.
There was not a needy person among them, for as many as were possessors of lands or houses sold them, and brought the proceeds of what was sold and laid it at the apostles' feet, and distribution was made to each as any had need.

Hairy Lime

• View Profile
« Reply #30863 on: April 05, 2020, 04:10:35 PM »

That drive in thing is understandably upsetting to you, Larry - but you dont have to bring that here.  Every Trump voter - and every Escape from Elba member disagreeing politically with you isnt that drive thru idiot - and isnt racist.
No, just you.

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30864 on: April 05, 2020, 04:18:15 PM »

Are you suggesting that the promotion of hydroxychloroquine for COVID-19 has not contributed to its being hoarded by people, causing a shortage of the drug?!

I am suggesting that Barton has zero evidence that sufferers of LUPUS or other diesease have died because their prescription became unavailable.  That would be both sad and improper.

There is a HUGE AMOUNT of this drug available and becoming available at a greater rate. 

I posted about the shortage weeks ago.

Here is a more recent post on it:
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:DT_8QCV38roJ:https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/927307+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Kid, shortages "in some places" are shortages. 4 of the 8 manufacturing companies around the world were short before President Trump reiterated how everybody should be using this.

March 23rd
n the last week, this once obscure drug has been thrust into the national spotlight with everyone from doctors, to laypeople, to the U.S. president weighing in. The attention has so dramatically driven up demand that pharmacists are reporting depleted stocks of the drug, leaving many of the roughly 1.5 million lupus patients across the country unable to get their prescriptions filled. They now face an uncertain future as the public clings to one of the first signs of hope to appear since the coronavirus began sweeping across the U.S.

March 25th
A Woman With Lupus Said Her Health Care Provider Is Stopping Her Chloroquine Prescription And Thanked Her For The “Sacrifice”

Your confidence that there is plenty of the drugs reminds me of President Trump's insistence that there were plenty of tests and that anybody who wanted one could get one.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

josh

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30865 on: April 05, 2020, 04:27:11 PM »

Have you heard that patients were turned away from testing/treatment because they lacked insurance?

Yes.

Where?

This was the original story I read, though it turns out the kid was insured, but his father was not a native English speaker and the story is therefore more complicated:
https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/17-year-old-dies-of-coronavirus-was-turned-away-for-lacking-insurance/

But it could have been true.

As it is, there are people who have been denied testing and died subsequently, though the reasoning was shortage of tests rather than insurance - they didn't present the right symptoms the right way to make it far enough up the queue to get tested:
https://www.12news.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/new-details-on-first-covid-19-death-county-health-officials-did-not-know-diagnosis-until-after-mans-death/75-f7c0e186-f93d-4b70-beab-d612df79bed5

Is that better than if they'd been denied because of insurance? I don't think so.
The day Richard Nixon failed to answer that subpoena is the day he was subject to impeachment because he took the power from Congress over the impeachment process away from Congress, and he became the judge and jury." ~Lindsey Graham

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
« Reply #30866 on: April 05, 2020, 04:50:31 PM »

Yes.

Where?

This was the original story I read, though it turns out the kid was insured, but his father was not a native English speaker and the story is therefore more complicated:
https://nypost.com/2020/03/28/17-year-old-dies-of-coronavirus-was-turned-away-for-lacking-insurance/

Pretty much sums up the the total uselessness of Elba as run by you.
Time to move on.

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #30867 on: April 05, 2020, 04:55:24 PM »

Yes.

Where?

Time to move on.

Fuck off then wash your hands.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #30868 on: April 05, 2020, 05:04:56 PM »

Listening to Red and kiid (doing his best Utley impersonation) is like watching the series finale of “Dinosaurs.”
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Yankguy1

• View Profile
« Reply #30869 on: April 05, 2020, 05:13:40 PM »

Yes.

Where?

Time to move on.
There's an easy solution for you.
"Can you deny, there's nothing greater, nothing more than the travelling hands of time?"-Jay Farrar
Pages: 1 ... 2056 2057 [2058] 2059 2060 ... 4288