Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2824 2825 [2826] 2827 2828 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1594141 times)

Hamilton Samuels

• America is my country, and Paris is my hometown.
    • View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42375 on: July 12, 2020, 11:35:17 AM »

Curious what the legality of painting BLM on public streets really is? I know that when they painted that thin blue line on streets inmany towns in NJ it was declared illegal by the feds.

It is a political statement. Should it be painted on a public roadway?  And is legal to do so?

I'm not quibbling about the message. Just curious about whether it's legal to deliver it in this manner.

After all, I am guessing that if I took blue and white paint and wrote Support Israel on the street, their would be a legal consequence.

So what is the legal stature of this political message delivery system? Anyone?

I taught Art courses at a private school in Potomac and a bunch of the boys were targgers who kept getting into rich kid trouble. I told the brats the difference between graffiti art and vandalism was permission.

When the mayors of these towns approve or in the case of DC commission the work I would think legality is not a huge problem.

So...to extend this, if the mayor, town council, etc, approve, it's not a problem?

Wouldn't that apply to all symbols and/or expressions of political pov,, too?

Case by case and you know that.

So, if a town and its mayor and council approved painting the Confederate flag in a crosswalk, that political statement  would be lagal, based on your statements.

Well, yeah... I’m sure someone would kvetch about it, file suit and it would go to court.

But according to you, it's not a problem, since the mayor and government council were involved. So what would be the complaint?

If only you were that naive.

"Not a problem" as ever does not equal "illegal." But you knew that.

Even if you hadn't know that prior to this year, somehow (and I know you did know it), you would have learned it by now, with the Confederate statues coming down from public (and private) land, although they were legal.

As for what the complaint would be, in a lawsuit to try to remove your brand new spulfty Confederate Battle Flag from the road in front of DAR headquarters, in yet another sign of your new found rampant ignorance, the complaint could and would be anything they could think of! I can hear the McColskeys now, about your having reduced their property value, made it less pleasant to look upon the street, increased the chances of an accident in front of their home, or went against community standards and should have your posting street painting powers suspended. People sue over the stupidest things. Sometimes they win anyway, because some judges are dolts, too.

Then, when someone sues and wins that BLM is using the public streets to deliver a political message and the judge finds it to be an illegal use of that space, regardless of the mayor's and town council's approval, you'll be okay with it.

Understood.

Yes, Ward. That's exactly what I said.

Pat, pat.

I know you take it personally here, sometimes. That would be Ward's game.

I asked a question and used your answer and Larry's to extend the conversation. Don't blame me for asking, and by doing so exposing some inconsistent thinking on your part.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:38:42 AM by UNO »
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42376 on: July 12, 2020, 11:37:55 AM »

Curious what the legality of painting BLM on public streets really is? I know that when they painted that thin blue line on streets inmany towns in NJ it was declared illegal by the feds.

It is a political statement. Should it be painted on a public roadway?  And is legal to do so?

I'm not quibbling about the message. Just curious about whether it's legal to deliver it in this manner.

After all, I am guessing that if I took blue and white paint and wrote Support Israel on the street, their would be a legal consequence.

I taught Art courses at a private school in Potomac and a bunch of the boys were targgers who kept getting into rich kid trouble. I told the brats the difference between graffiti art and vandalism was permission.

When the mayors of these towns approve or in the case of DC commission the work I would think legality is not a huge problem.

So...to extend this, if the mayor, town council, etc, approve, it's not a problem?

So, if a town and its mayor and council approved painting the Confederate flag in a crosswalk, that political statement  would be lagal, based on your statements.

Well, yeah... I’m sure someone would kvetch about it, file suit and it would go to court.

But according to you, it's not a problem, since the mayor and government council were involved. So what would be the complaint?

Like I said.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/virginia-politics/ginni-thomas-black-lives-matter-clifton/2020/07/09/c7b3bb98-c1f5-11ea-9fdd-b7ac6b051dc8_story.html

Sorry. Couldn't read the piece. Paywall. Could you quote it here?
The artist's job is not to succumb to despair but to find an antidote for the emptiness of existence.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile

barton

« Reply #42378 on: July 12, 2020, 12:46:42 PM »

Uno, I really fail to see why this matter of street painting is hard to understand.  Municipalities often promote worthy causes that most citizens are behind - a BLM banner or stencil or whatever,  which shows support to a civil rights cause (just as naming a street Rosa Parks Drive or MLK Blvd would and does in many places) that a majority of Americans see as worthwhile and consistent with our founding principles. 

A confederate flag OTOH is not.   

barton

« Reply #42379 on: July 12, 2020, 12:55:54 PM »

Quote from: Uno
   I asked a question and used your answer and Larry's to extend the conversation. Don't blame me for asking, and by doing so exposing some inconsistent thinking on your part.. 

Not sure if you saw Kam's post on "concern trolling."  This seems close to that.   I feel your didactic approach is not entirely candid here.   

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42380 on: July 12, 2020, 12:58:19 PM »

Chris Wallace:  "Everyone wants to get the kids back to school"

He's lying.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42381 on: July 12, 2020, 12:59:33 PM »

If only you were that naive.

"Not a problem" as ever does not equal "illegal." But you knew that.

Even if you hadn't know that prior to this year, somehow (and I know you did know it), you would have learned it by now, with the Confederate statues coming down from public (and private) land, although they were legal.

As for what the complaint would be, in a lawsuit to try to remove your brand new spulfty Confederate Battle Flag from the road in front of DAR headquarters, in yet another sign of your new found rampant ignorance, the complaint could and would be anything they could think of! I can hear the McColskeys now, about your having reduced their property value, made it less pleasant to look upon the street, increased the chances of an accident in front of their home, or went against community standards and should have your posting street painting powers suspended. People sue over the stupidest things. Sometimes they win anyway, because some judges are dolts, too.

Then, when someone sues and wins that BLM is using the public streets to deliver a political message and the judge finds it to be an illegal use of that space, regardless of the mayor's and town council's approval, you'll be okay with it.

Understood.

Yes, Ward. That's exactly what I said.

Pat, pat.

I know you take it personally here, sometimes. That would be Ward's game.

I asked a question and used your answer and Larry's to extend the conversation. Don't blame me for asking, and by doing so exposing some inconsistent thinking on your part.

Of course, Ward.

There, there.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42382 on: July 12, 2020, 01:01:22 PM »

I asked a question and used your answer and Larry's to extend the conversation. Don't blame me for asking, and by doing so exposing some inconsistent thinking on your part.. 

Not sure if you saw Kam's post on "concern trolling."  This seems close to that.   I feel your didactic approach is not entirely candid here.

Are you suggesting that there is inconsistent thinking on his part?!

GASP!

bodiddley

• View Profile
« Reply #42383 on: July 12, 2020, 01:17:39 PM »

I think everyone wants kids back at school safely.
That way they can learn, their parents can go to work, life is more normal.

But again Trump is ripping up his health advisors guidelines as too expensive and difficult.  Well, what will be too expensive is cheaping out and proceeding laxly and having huge new outbreaks, starting with kids and plowing through their families and teachers.  Reopening state economies without following proper guidelines didn't work out so well.  The death march continues.
Good Gov't Saves Lives
 --- Bad Gov't Kills ---

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42384 on: July 12, 2020, 01:27:01 PM »

I think everyone wants kids back at school safely.
That way they can learn, their parents can go to work, life is more normal.

But again Trump is ripping up his health advisors guidelines as too expensive and difficult.  Well, what will be too expensive is cheaping out and proceeding laxly and having huge new outbreaks, starting with kids and plowing through their families and teachers.  Reopening state economies without following proper guidelines didn't work out so well.  The death march continues.

But if we just sold Puerto Rico, we could afford the schools...

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42385 on: July 12, 2020, 01:48:03 PM »

No data that says children spread this disease

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42386 on: July 12, 2020, 01:50:08 PM »

But again Trump is ripping up his health advisors guidelines as too expensive and difficult. 

no idea what this is supposed to mean - other than sounding like anti-administration propaganda.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42387 on: July 12, 2020, 02:08:30 PM »

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42388 on: July 12, 2020, 02:09:44 PM »

Uno, I really fail to see why this matter of street painting is hard to understand.  Municipalities often promote worthy causes that most citizens are behind - a BLM banner or stencil or whatever,  which shows support to a civil rights cause (just as naming a street Rosa Parks Drive or MLK Blvd would and does in many places) that a majority of Americans see as worthwhile and consistent with our founding principles. 

A confederate flag OTOH is not.

BLM is a political statement. The Conferderate flag is a political statement. Painting a public road with one or the other, and with mayor and government council approval, seems to create a circumstance in which the government is using the public space to make a political statement.

That would appear to me to be unconstitutional.

Like the Ten Commandments inscribed on a public building in Alabama, for example. Roy Moore case.

I really don't see a difference between the circumstances.

Hamilton Samuels

• View Profile
« Reply #42389 on: July 12, 2020, 02:11:37 PM »

Well, I can't help what you feel.

I can only go back to the essential elements of my questioning using public space for political messaging, regardless of the worthiness of that message.
Pages: 1 ... 2824 2825 [2826] 2827 2828 ... 4288