Escape from Elba

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Poll

What do you expect on Wednesday?

Reports of protests are overblown. A few incidents around the country, but nothing major.
- 5 (45.5%)
A few major incidents in capitals, but nothing much in DC.
- 5 (45.5%)
A major incident in DC, but nothing much around the country.
- 0 (0%)
More than 10 capitals have major upheavals, but nothing much in DC.
- 0 (0%)
A major incident in DC plus more than 10 capitals with significant upheavals.
- 1 (9.1%)
More than half the capitals around the country have problems with protesters, but DC is quiet.
- 0 (0%)
DC has major problems, while more than half the capitals around the country also have considerable trouble with protesters.
- 0 (0%)
Huge disruption to the day.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 9

Voting closed: January 19, 2021, 10:49:21 PM

Pages: 1 ... 2832 2833 [2834] 2835 2836 ... 4288

Author Topic: Trump Administration  (Read 1597040 times)

REDSTATEWARD

• View Profile
Re: Trump Administration
« Reply #42495 on: July 12, 2020, 10:30:10 PM »

AOC contends the skyrocketing crime rate in NYC is due to high unemployment and the “ need to find bread” for families.
This from a woman who told Jeff Bezos and Amazon to leave town and forget bringing  tens of thousands of jobs to HER Congressional District.

She’s right, you know.
Yes, of course. People who need bread decide to go out and kill minority  people.
Especially if they are taking 6 year old children for a walk.

Ask UNO
UNO does not appear on my screen.
I see you have no answer.

I have plenty of answers and you won’t agree with any of them so...
LOL!

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42496 on: July 12, 2020, 10:33:59 PM »

8)
Uno:  "You have yet to address the issues I've raised. How is the BLM state approved political message different than the state approved Ten Commandments statue  or something similar?"

BLM asserts something enshrined in the Constitution.   It's a political message the same way "we hold these truths to be self-evident... " is one.   The 10 Cs are a religious message and specific to one religion (though many of them are pretty good ethical guidelines and  you could do a lot worse), so they conflict with the Establishment clause,  as YG noted.   

The issue here is state sanctioned political messaging on public roads. It's not whether the message is one that should or shouldn't be valued. The question that has yet to be answered for me is why the government can endorse political messaging on public property?

Are you now arguing that BLM is not a political message?

What is your ultimate point?

Black Lives Don’t Matter If Confederate flags aren’t treated with the same respect?  NO.

Arguing in favor of Confederate anything is like demanding Nazi Swastikas be flown in front of public buildings in Germany.

This ain’t a moment this is a movement

YES. It's a movement. So it's a POLITICAL MESSAGE ON A PUBLIC ROAD.

So answer the question. WHY is that legal?
THINK this time before you answer.

Oh, look. UNO still doesn't like the answer.

So, UNO, since we've given you our answer and you don't like it, why not tell us your answer for why it is not legal.

Wow. You really are like what you say you're against.

No, josh, you never answered the question. You tried to reframe the question, but you didn't answer it.

Play games with others, if you wish, but I'll just put you down as Evasive, Cowardly, and Hypocritical, and Obstinate.

You are the only honest man on all of Elba, Ham. It must be really hard.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42497 on: July 12, 2020, 10:36:22 PM »

[quote author=LarryBnDC link=topic=55.msg134271#msg134271 date=1594605What makes it legal?

I understand that it happens, but you haven't said why it is allowed to happen. Nor has anyone else, here.

We haven't said it IN THIS set of stupid exchanges. We've been talking about it since before you decided to grace us with your presence again and during that time, as well.

But since you seldom answer anybody else's questions much of the time, wtf is your problem?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:41:25 PM by Echo4 »

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42498 on: July 12, 2020, 10:56:16 PM »

Quote from: Uno
   I asked a question and used your answer and Larry's to extend the conversation. Don't blame me for asking, and by doing so exposing some inconsistent thinking on your part.. 

Not sure if you saw Kam's post on "concern trolling."  This seems close to that.   I feel your didactic approach is not entirely candid here.

Are you suggesting that there is inconsistent thinking on his part?!

GASP!

Quick kill the messenger. You are using Trump's strategy as your own. No one can question you.

Pretty petty, Josh.

No, but you can make that accusation as much as it pleases you to. You do create a fine set of straw men. Always could.

I think, sadly, in your case, what we've shown here today is what was at the heart of the Harper's letter:  "While we have come to expect this on the radical right, censoriousness is also spreading more widely in our culture: an intolerance of opposing views, a vogue for public shaming and ostracism, and the tendency to dissolve complex policy issues in a blinding moral certainty."

You have yet to address the issues I've raised. How is the BLM state approved political message different than the state approved Ten Commandments statue  or something similar?

No, you'd rather try to declare some fault in the person asking you questions.

No difference between your strategy and Trump's.

So to you I'm "fake news" because I ask you to consider your POV is flawed.

Sad.

You didn't raise the Ten Commandments. You raised the Confederacy.

One is religion. The other is politics. The Mississippi flag was legal. A Ten Commandments statue is not, except for Oklahoma, where the statur of Satan is a tourist attraction, if still up.

You're "fake news" (your label, not mine) not because you ask me to check my POV, but because you do it under bogus premises.

You keep claiming I have an inconsistency, but not pointing it out. That is a fault in you. You create a dichotomous question, then reject the answer, claim I haven't answered it, and pose a different question. That is a fault in you.

You suggested I was taking things personally, then have complained that I was claiming fault in you. I'm happy to check my POV. You might consider the same. Or you might not.

You have my permission to paint whatever you would like for political speech on the street by my place. I won't sue unless you lie about me. And don't take down my beehives that are not on your property.

Well, that's a lot of words, but like Larry you ain't answered the question if why POLITICAL MESSAGES CAN BE PAINTED ON THE PUBLIC STREET LEGALLY?

You  have tried to change the subject, or go after me for asking it, but you have yet to answer it.

Don't be like the opposition and refuse to answer the question or deflect and pretend you have answered it.

Answer it.

Or be honest and say you don't know the answer.

As I’ve said repeatedly if the municipality approves and in some cases commissions an Art project with a political message than it goes up.

If YOU don’t like that because it offends your sensibilities you can sue for redress.

Dig?

As I told you in the beginning of this bullshit the difference between art and vandalism is permission.

You want a Confederate flag in the crosswalk? Petition the local ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES.

Good luck with that in 2020.

When did I say I wanted a Confederate flag in the crosswalk?
No, but that's what some of you folks like to do in here, infer what was never implied.

And the question remains unanswered. Well, let me rephrase, you've given an answer, but you have not explained satisfactorily. WHY DO The ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES get to promote a political message on the public streets?
 What are the guidelines that permit a political message to be displayed on a public road? What makes it legal?

I understand that it happens, but you haven't said why it is allowed to happen. Nor has anyone else, here.

Just finish jerking off and come already...
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42499 on: July 12, 2020, 10:56:33 PM »

One of the constant complaints about lockdown has been that more people would die of the lockdown than of the disease.

There's been no evidence to support the claim, but it's damned hard to prove it can't be true, either.

https://www.rnz.co.nz/news/national/421085/fewer-deaths-in-lockdown-than-previous-year?fbclid=IwAR3xF9E1Yl6Gk9c_HwWCcwLuyhQMnxx1r_VOrtJY_uGlYGVggeIRAPFiASA

NZ ran a tighter lockdown than most of our states managed. They saw fewer deaths than in the prior year.

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42500 on: July 12, 2020, 10:57:21 PM »

You were asked.

You declined to answer.

kiidcarter8

• View Profile
« Reply #42501 on: July 12, 2020, 10:59:31 PM »

Betsy had a rough morning on CNN and Fox. She got schooled by Dana Bash and then Chris Wallace.

heh

She frustrated Wallace - I will give you that.  But had a solid answer for everything.

Didnt se the Bash bit.   Which show was that on?

Echo4

• View Profile

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42503 on: July 12, 2020, 11:06:39 PM »

Quote from: Uno
   I asked a question and used your answer and Larry's to extend the conversation. Don't blame me for asking, and by doing so exposing some inconsistent thinking on your part.. 

Not sure if you saw Kam's post on "concern trolling."  This seems close to that.   I feel your didactic approach is not entirely candid here.

Are you suggesting that there is inconsistent thinking on his part?!

GASP!

Quick kill the messenger. You are using Trump's strategy as your own. No one can question you.

Pretty petty, Josh.

No, but you can make that accusation as much as it pleases you to. You do create a fine set of straw men. Always could.

I think, sadly, in your case, what we've shown here today is what was at the heart of the Harper's letter:  "While we have come to expect this on the radical right, censoriousness is also spreading more widely in our culture: an intolerance of opposing views, a vogue for public shaming and ostracism, and the tendency to dissolve complex policy issues in a blinding moral certainty."

You have yet to address the issues I've raised. How is the BLM state approved political message different than the state approved Ten Commandments statue  or something similar?

No, you'd rather try to declare some fault in the person asking you questions.

No difference between your strategy and Trump's.

So to you I'm "fake news" because I ask you to consider your POV is flawed.

Sad.

You didn't raise the Ten Commandments. You raised the Confederacy.

One is religion. The other is politics. The Mississippi flag was legal. A Ten Commandments statue is not, except for Oklahoma, where the statur of Satan is a tourist attraction, if still up.

You're "fake news" (your label, not mine) not because you ask me to check my POV, but because you do it under bogus premises.

You keep claiming I have an inconsistency, but not pointing it out. That is a fault in you. You create a dichotomous question, then reject the answer, claim I haven't answered it, and pose a different question. That is a fault in you.

You suggested I was taking things personally, then have complained that I was claiming fault in you. I'm happy to check my POV. You might consider the same. Or you might not.

You have my permission to paint whatever you would like for political speech on the street by my place. I won't sue unless you lie about me. And don't take down my beehives that are not on your property.

Well, that's a lot of words, but like Larry you ain't answered the question if why POLITICAL MESSAGES CAN BE PAINTED ON THE PUBLIC STREET LEGALLY?

You  have tried to change the subject, or go after me for asking it, but you have yet to answer it.

Don't be like the opposition and refuse to answer the question or deflect and pretend you have answered it.

Answer it.

Or be honest and say you don't know the answer.

As I’ve said repeatedly if the municipality approves and in some cases commissions an Art project with a political message than it goes up.

If YOU don’t like that because it offends your sensibilities you can sue for redress.

Dig?

As I told you in the beginning of this bullshit the difference between art and vandalism is permission.

You want a Confederate flag in the crosswalk? Petition the local ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES.

Good luck with that in 2020.

When did I say I wanted a Confederate flag in the crosswalk?
No, but that's what some of you folks like to do in here, infer what was never implied.

And the question remains unanswered. Well, let me rephrase, you've given an answer, but you have not explained satisfactorily. WHY DO The ELECTED REPRESENTATIVES get to promote a political message on the public streets?
 What are the guidelines that permit a political message to be displayed on a public road? What makes it legal?

Curious what the legality of painting BLM on public streets really is? I know that when they painted that thin blue line on streets inmany towns in NJ it was declared illegal by the feds.

It is a political statement. Should it be painted on a public roadway?  And is legal to do so?

I'm not quibbling about the message. Just curious about whether it's legal to deliver it in this manner.

After all, I am guessing that if I took blue and white paint and wrote Support Israel on the street, their would be a legal consequence.

So what is the legal stature of this political message delivery system? Anyone?

I taught Art courses at a private school in Potomac and a bunch of the boys were targgers who kept getting into rich kid trouble. I told the brats the difference between graffiti art and vandalism was permission.

When the mayors of these towns approve or in the case of DC commission the work I would think legality is not a huge problem.

So...to extend this, if the mayor, town council, etc, approve, it's not a problem?

Wouldn't that apply to all symbols and/or expressions of political pov,, too?

Case by case and you know that.

So, if a town and its mayor and council approved painting the Confederate flag in a crosswalk, that political statement  would be lagal, based on your statements.
If you can convince the lowest white man he's better than the best colored man, he won't notice you're picking his pocket. Hell, give him somebody to look down on, and he'll empty his pockets for you.

Lyndon Johnson

bankshot1

• View Profile
« Reply #42504 on: July 12, 2020, 11:13:39 PM »

Betsy had a rough morning on CNN and Fox. She got schooled by Dana Bash and then Chris Wallace.

heh

She frustrated Wallace - I will give you that.  But had a solid answer for everything.

Didnt se the Bash bit.   Which show was that on?

Sesame St.

Fun panel discussion, Dana, Elmo, Big Bird and Betsy.

it was unfortunate Betsy was in way over her head

« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 11:58:49 PM by bankshot1 »

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42505 on: July 12, 2020, 11:31:05 PM »

Open the schools!

https://www.macon.com/news/coronavirus/article244158667.html?fbclid=IwAR3SSBIAI5T5qni_wy5zm7tvNF-irm-doYvBV71-AzxRBidrACi3Nl5ZqUo

85 kids, counselors infected with coronavirus in YMCA camp outbreak, GA officials say

Or as Kid would say, "Let's go!!"

LarryBnDC

• View Profile
    • The Shinbone Star
« Reply #42506 on: July 12, 2020, 11:44:46 PM »

The fierce Rep. Ayanna Presley ripped Betsy DeVos today:

'I wouldn't trust you to care for a house plant let alone my child'‘

https://thehill.com/homenews/house/506985-pressley-hits-devos-over-reopening-schools-i-wouldnt-trust-you-to-care-for-a

Lyndon Johnson

Echo4

• View Profile
« Reply #42507 on: July 13, 2020, 12:09:47 AM »

https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/12/politics/fauci-trump-coronavirus/index.html

The White House seems to be trying to discredit Dr. Fauci.

At best, this will do no harm to Dr. Fauci, while doing no good to Trump.

At worst, it will work, causing the medical establishment to take a black eye.

But even under that circumstance, it will not improve Donald Trump's image in anybody's eyes.

And if the rest of the medical sciences team in the government sits back and says nothing or worse joins in the attacks, it will hurt Fauci, but it will hurt their reputations and our country even more.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #42508 on: July 13, 2020, 01:25:24 AM »

Trump wore a mask today!

Well, part of the day he wore it. Part of the day he tried to fake it.

Sounds like an alternative opening line to "A Day in a Mask"

I read the news today, oh boy
About an inept clown who wore a mask
And though it didn't really fit
He doesn't give a shit

I want to puuuuuuunch you Don

No.
One punch can kill.

Maybe he just didn't know how to wear it properly.

Love the emblem.

Go woke, go broke.

bambu.

• View Profile
« Reply #42509 on: July 13, 2020, 01:35:39 AM »

Lockdowns ..basically are, 'everything' closed except supermarkets...and 'everyone' staying home.
..making the virus homeless.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2020, 01:37:35 AM by bambu. »
Go woke, go broke.
Pages: 1 ... 2832 2833 [2834] 2835 2836 ... 4288